Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

They really need to add other options to peace deals. Like, reparations or the ability to demand ships.

It's frustrating to fight a good war and be just short of enough points to demand any colonies. Or like, I just beat up Austria and stole Dalmatia. Now like, what's the point of beating them up if there's nothing less to demand in a deal? I guess other than the fun of just dunking on Austria.

Any points that you don't use in a peace deal get turned into national industrial expansion a couple months later, which results in a bigger overall naval budget. I remember seeing someone's analysis back in RTW1 that you actually end up getting more money over time taking the industrial expansion than taking colonies based on how the national budget was calculated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

I've found the almanac (and particularly the summary list there) to be very suspect on details. If you open up the ship details for one of those CVs it'll probably list a different top speed. I've also seen the after battle report ship details give entirely different stats that appear to capture refit info. It makes sense that the in-game intel includes some of of war but it's hard to determine how accurate any given info is.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

There does seem to be a bug where if you rebuild a ship after adding additional deck armor in a previous rebuild, it doesn't count the weight of the extra deck armor so you effectively get a weight refund.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

I've had some success building dedicated fast AA CAs with heavy secondaries full of DPs and a couple floatplanes, if I keep them in the same region as my CVs/BBs/BCs then usually at least one of the heavier ships will show up for the same fight.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

If you aren't losing 1-2 DDs in every medium/large engagement then you aren't doing it right :colbert:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

At least for secondaries, on BB/BC I try to have a minimum of 2.5 inch armor so they're fully enclosed. 2 inch and below gun shields are vulnerable to getting taken out by HE splinters. If I've got the tonnage I might up the armor to 3-3.5 inches to give them a little added protection from bombs but it's not really worth trying to armor against a >7 inch gun hit.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Kilonum posted:

Also it will be on Steam.

The lengths Gabe will go to in order to bend grognards to his will :gaben:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

If I remember correctly the size of the starting fleets also affects the starting budget. You end up with a bit more historical progression of hordes of Bs/CAs --> shrinking number of bigger and more capable BBs/BCs.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah that's one of the biggies, especially if the game extends over 80 years now. Too many games end up with the AIs split between 'perennial punching bag' and 'untouched juggernaut' depending on whether you fight them or not.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Super excited for more 90s spreadsheet boat action.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah a mess of 5-in guns at 2000 yards are going to wreck most anything that early in the game, either through burning down the superstructure or making swiss cheese of the unarmored sections of hull.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

I think there's actually events built into the 1890s start for the Chinese Concessions to fire off randomly, I had the UK, Germany, and USA all offer me a generous 1,000 for 100 year leases on coastal ports while playing as Qing. You get a pretty hefty relations hit if you refuse, fortunately I was friendly enough with the UK and USA to turn them down.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

July 1900 as Qing and managed to win my first two wars with Japan and pulled ahead of them in terms of economy and tonnage. Lucked into researching Quality 0 9-inch guns so rolling out the first domestically produced Chinese CAs. A little slower than I'd like but should hopefully be fairly dangerous to all the late Victorian protected cruisers still sailing around.

Japanese losses in exchange for one CA, three CLs and nine DDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

OddObserver posted:

I am guessing an all-rear arrangement isn't actually plausible because the rear needs to have the propellers?

There's no additional weight savings calculation like with the all-forward design, but in-game the rear X mount position is lighter than the equivalent forward B mount and usually gets research a year or two earlier. I've built some BBs/BCs with a 2x3x3 AXY arrangement to squeeze in an extra knot or additional armor. In general they work reasonably well although they're pretty limited in a pure stern chase if they aren't fast enough to overtake their target and bring the rear guns to bear.