Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Pretty much how it worked out irl too. Check out any latewar surface engagement where the USN just shits all over the IJN without taking any real damage. Surigao strait being the classic example.

0400 hours the West Virginia opens fire at 23k yards and scores with the first salvo. The IJN didn't even get to shoot back.

Saros fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Sounds like you got Gallipoli'd.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

If it was 2-3 knots faster it would be ok as a battle-cruiser.. Right now it's just a weird thinly armored Dreadnought and kind of the worst of all worlds.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

People play on the smaller fleet sizes? Weird. Also yeah Russia seems to just be worse at fighting than the other euro powers. Pre CV era I get losses or draws in fights I'd wipe the enemy in rtw1.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

It's less a trap and more it does what it says on the tin, it also doesn't protect machinery spaces and hits there can really be bad news. However it has different uses for different types of ships.

If you're using it for BB's you should be armoring enough that the halved protection everywhere else is equal to what you were going to stick on them anyway (i.e. 2x your planned armor so the normal space have decent protection.) This way it's really an *increase* in tonnage in exchange for making your magazines basically invincible (no more random explosive deaths).

For other things like CL/CLAA etc it's a way to skimp on armor if you don't expect them to face a lot of direct fire.

http://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/3027/magazine-box-aon

quote:

Okay so I just lost a 70000 Ton Battleship with magazine box to a single 5" hit that caused such extreme flooding that the whole boat sank. I'm not doing this anymore on anything that cost me money.

:lol::lol::lol:

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 2, 2019

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

Any advice for playing the Soviets in 1920? Looks like I start with some comically lovely pre-dreads accounting for the majority of my tonnage which I'm probably going to mothball or scrap almost immediately, particularly since I have a bunch of BBs already under construction. Everybody except the Germans seems to outgun me massively, although they also all have much more territory to cover. I'm running an enormous deficit from turn 1 so that's fun.

Mothball and reserve everything.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

it still pisses me off how little effort the devs put in actually modeling carrier warfare

Plus most of the time your lead elements start in sighting distance of each other so Air combat is basically just a brawl, no scouting or deception or anything like Midway/Coral sea.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

This one nation imposed treaty thing already happens but only to the player or at least I've never seen it on an AI. I think y'all just aren't losing enough wars.

I got whomped as Spain in 1910 by the UK and got stuck with a 10'' 12KT limit and no subs allowed.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

That looks like it's playing a game of "I'm not touching you" with the concept of a battlecruiser.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Biggest problem is really the battle generator can't handle CV battles and just plonks you down on top of each other.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

http://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/3380/release-historical-legacy-fleet-start

There's a mod where you start with the historical ships of 1920 which is pretty drat cool in an alt-history sort of way.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Raise the misplaced coastal raid on the game forums, it's a case of the number which tells the battle gen which sea zone being input wrong and an easy fix. I had the same as Spain where northern battles would spawn in the med.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

wait theres an option to just set it to automatic?????????

Haha gently caress me there is too.

quote:

It is now possible to multi select air units and multi delete air units in the air groups screen.

FINALLY.

[e] Oh wait :lol::lol: you cant use half the functionality.

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 2, 2019

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

You can see it in the to-hit calcs accessible via the ship data screen during combat. It's -30 *unknown units* which is pretty significant and equivalent to 3 stages of fire control upgrades.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

A most shameful Gibraltar.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

quote:

Longer starting ranges in battles where carriers are present.

Well that's promising.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Mostly just having crap, cheap colonial cruisers to make up the tonnage and not worrying too much about the Empire at wartime because you're busy blockading the enemy into collapse. Put older CA/BC/B in areas the enemy has colonies and contain their fleet with your superior one in their home area.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

The reserve all will be nice. Better however would be to have 'peacetime' (reserve, mothball, active/foreign station etc) status for a ship it returns to when you click a 'demobilise' button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

[e] It was the storefront owner not the RTW dev.

Saros fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 3, 2021