Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

quote:

Checking a design with 0 deck armor will now give an error in the designs report instead of no response.

This one confused me so so much. Scrapped several ships due to what I assumed was a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Just finished a war against France as Italy, and took Tunisia.

Note that GB is my ally. I took Gibraltar from them in an early war, Malta in a second war and for some reason, they decided to ally with me.

Air power is so insanely good, I love it. Last battle was a lot of my ships, including 2 BC and 4 CV against their 3 BB and 1 CV. Scouts found them, and I sent a strike into the unknown. Turned out that I hit their carrier and set it on fire. Their BBs found my carrier force and put 3 shots into one of my carriers, disabling it for some time. But the return strike... Turns out that 1000 lbs bombs tear old 15k ton battleships apart. First hit, knocked out two turrets on one of them.

Up until now, I have disbanded all non-carrier air wings to save money. I know that I lose experience on them, but I can't really say that my land based air is doing much compared to my carrier planes.
What do you guys do? And what kind of setup do you have for your land air?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

OddObserver posted:

I do feel like a way to put land air in reserve and mobilize easily is badly missing.. otherwise late-game land air upkeep is just ridiculous.

I don't think you save any money on putting land air in reserve. You have to go through every airbase and disband every airwing.

Mobilize is easy enough, I just right click every land base and auto-fill. I then tweak whatever airbases I want to, but I mostly leave it as default. I have also expanded them so I get a lot of all types of planes though. For the small bases, I might swap out the medium bombers with dive bombers or torpedo bombers. And I always tell my land air to target ships, never suppress enemy air.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Zeond posted:

This game can be quite satisfying. Its interface and theme are not for everyone but I can think of few games that give you a similar feeling of satisfaction when seeing your enemy's whole battlefleet explode and slip beneath the waves. Air strikes can be particularly satisfying.

Talking about carriers, do the deck park and deck-edge lift options for carriers actually do anything? I'm in 1935 and unlocked both techs so I'm rebuilding old carriers but nothing changes when I check the boxes. They don't even increase the cost or change the displacement of the ship. Same when designing a CV from scratch, not even a change to the spot value.

The manual posted:

Edge elevators
Installing these will improve readying and
spotting times and give a slight bonus to the
spot value of the aircraft carrier.

So it makes the planes get ready for strikes faster.
Deck catapults lets you launch recon and CAP without turning into the wind.
Deck parking is not mentioned in the manual, so who knows.

mllaneza posted:

WTF France ? 18 knots for an 80-plane CV ?

Oh, and they're out of BBs because I sank their only one last turn.

Pay attention to the almanac ! I missed the switch to CV heavy fleets and kept building BBs out of habit. I may be screwed.

I bet you can make some fast BCs with plenty of AA that can chase down those carriers easily and sink them all.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

I hope they remove the land bombardment missions that only give you a light cruiser with not enough ammo to destroy the target.

My only good land bombardment mission was the one where I had 3 fleet carriers, sent a bunch of dive bombers and torpedo bombers with heavy bomb load to destroy it. Took seconds.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

I think they have to be over 600 tons, or they will be scrapped once you get peace. Might be 600 tons and up. Make more then you need for trade protection, as they will be killed off by subs and in battles where they roam around under AI control.

I think corvettes get a bonus if you add minesweeping gear to them as well.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Had a fun battle yesterday as Japan against France.

My two BCs and single BB was in a shore bombardment defense mission and quickly found the enemy. Enemy was severely outclassed and wiped out two of their BCs from turret penetrations and magazine detonations. A third BC was hurt, so I gave chase. Suddenly, my BCs spot some other ships. A lot of ships.

Turns out they had their main fleet hanging out outside one of my bases in the minefields. No idea how many, but at least 4 BBs and another 3 BCs. And they were faster then me. I turn around and try to run away, and one of my BCs take a hit and slows down. I quickly realize that they are doomed, and focus on getting my BB and other BC out.

They pounded the poo poo out of my BC.
I was dead after 5 hits, several of them causing severe flooding. The other 200 hits were after it was sinking.

In the next fight, my BB had it's turret penetrated, which caused a flashfire that ruined two turrets. Ship survived though and went on to fight the rest of the battle with only the forward turrets.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

What is the cut-off for fully armored secondary turrets?

I can't remember if it's 2 inches or 2.5 inches of armor.

EDIT: Looked it up in the manual. 2 inches and above means full turrets and protection against splinters, 1.5 inches and down means gun shields and can be taken out easily. This is only for 6 inch guns and below for main guns, and for secondary guns.

Less then the cut-off, and your secondaries are considered to just have gun shields and will die from shrapnel.

And how is that last one a heavy cruiser with 3.5 inch belt armor? Drop one turret and go up to 5-6 inches.

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 21, 2019

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Obfuscation posted:

Looks like it's based on the real world Town-class light cruisers, except reclassified as CA. I wonder if it's an armor configuration thing or does it have too many main guns to be a CL?

I'm guessing fog of war and that the armor is not correct. Especially considering it does not have any other type of armor listed.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

Just go fisher my man

Not dual purpose mainguns, not interested.

That thing will rip so many things apart.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

What is the main issue you are having?

Is it the design process? The battles? The organization of where to send what ship?

Give Italy a go, and stay in the Mediterranean sea. Don't grab any colonies outside of it, and make size 40 airbases in multiple places to cover as much sea as possible.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

I play on medium fleet size. Large and very large is just super busy to me. Having to send things on foreign station, keeping up with buildings ships and keeping things up to date, way to much to manage for me. It's not a complaint about the game, it's all on me.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Gort posted:

Do you not have to put things on foreign station, keep up with building ships and keeping things up to date on medium fleet size?

You basically described 70% of the game right there.

Of course, but on a much smaller scale.
Edit: Removed something that came out as snarky, not my intention to be rude.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

if broadsides were good enough for 1702 they're good enough for 1902

That thing is going to blow up the second anything hit those 4 inches of secondary turret armor.

I bet the explosion will be gigantic though.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Out of curiosity, any reason why you are not using any dive bombers?

Is there a consensus on what is best for all-around purpose?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Corvettes (KE) is a lot cheaper and faster to build. 500 tons and below can only be built during wartime and will be disbanded after the war ends (they are basically fishing vessels that are conscripted), but 600 tons and above will stick around. Make a bunch of them with the lowest amount of speed and smallest gun. You can probably afford to keep 20 or so around.

Though the argument for having some 300 ton destroyers with a single torpedo is valid, they might get a lucky hit on something that a KE would die to.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Great coverage though.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah double click on the report.

:aaaaa: :aaaaa:

Really...

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

The game mostly works, doesn't it? I don't really see it as a game breaking "FIX THE loving GAME" type of bug that the AI have DP guns and AA in 1905. It's not like there is anything for them to shoot at.

This is not meant as a personal attack, I'm just a bit confused.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

You can just save edit if you open the biggest file in the saves folder using notepad++ (or normal notepad I guess). It's rather straight forward. Might require some experimentation.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Fought a cruiser battle as the US vs Japan. My two light cruisers with 2 inches of armor and 5 inch guns absolutely ravaged their heavy cruiser with it's 7 inch guns and 3 inches of armor.
Tried a 1890 Germany start, but got into a war with the UK very early and was stomped. They rammed one of my battleships with one of their battleships and just shrugged it off.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

loving mines. Lost a BB, a 7000 ton CL and two good DDs to mines in a one-sided battle. At least I sunk the enemy BB, but it was still a major loss.

You could argue I got greedy circling just outside the enemy base, but I'll be angry at the mines instead.

If you have ships with minesweeping gear, do you see enemy fields during battles?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

SIGSEGV posted:

Also we should probably go for a thread title change.

*200 anti-ship missiles approaching the Thread!* -- Rule The Waves 3 - now more waves

Or just Rule the Waves 3 - now with missile waves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

I would suggest keeping it in this thread, as it is rather dead anyway. Would also be interesting following the progression without having to pay attention to another thread. Could even drum up more interest for the game.