Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Jesus, once you get half decent fire control radar you just clown on any ship that doesn't have it.

As the US I was in a late game war with the Soviets and two of my radar equipped light cruisers utterly crushed four USSR heavy cruisers from outside visual range that I don't think even got a solid hit in return.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It was a super interesting game in general. For the vast majority of the 40s and 50s there were really restrictive treaties in place. First nothing over 12,000 tons and 8 inch guns, then nothing over 18,000 tons and 12-inch.

Basically everyone was stuck with whatever BB, BC, and CV hulls they had in 1942. Led to me having to make a lot of creative redesigns and modernizations. Meant that fleets were majority CAs and CVLs.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Does poor education affect more than just research? Playing as Italy and my ships misunderstand signals a hell of a lot more often than when I played as the US.

They also seem to accidentally torpedo friendlies more often :saddowns:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

They really need to add other options to peace deals. Like, reparations or the ability to demand ships.

It's frustrating to fight a good war and be just short of enough points to demand any colonies. Or like, I just beat up Austria and stole Dalmatia. Now like, what's the point of beating them up if there's nothing less to demand in a deal? I guess other than the fun of just dunking on Austria.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

If you click flotilla attack they'll go off on as a group at their own speed and try to do a torpedo attack. They won't always be successful, and tend to not fire unless they can get a good shot which sometimes leaves them doing this weird dance in and out of enemy formations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Game sold so well Gord's carpal tunnel flared up again and now he can't type the license keys :saddowns:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

How do I get my sneak attack destroyers to actually torpedo things? They sail into the harbour, spot ships, and then just spin around a bunch and try to pepper Bs and CAs with 3-inch fire before turning around and running away. They have extra torpedo training so I figured that would help.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'm pretty sure ships can be handed over as reparations although it's rare. At least it was possible in RTW1.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I can't imagine it'd be too hard. Just take the existing treaty system and have it apply to only one nation. Balance it out by giving it a small chance to backfire and lead to a fascist coup/explosion of the naval budget down the line.

Then again, this is the same game that's still throwing memory access errors so yeah, probably should fix that first.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The new Cold War era stuff is neat but I think I'm most excited for them moving the start date back to 1890, as well as the strategic game changes (AI wars, more complex treaties, etc...).

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It's also easier to refit with better quality guns of the same caliber later than replace them with different calibers.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Kilonum posted:

Also it will be on Steam.

Hell just froze over and I couldn't be happier.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

https://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/6786/rtw3-official-release-date-may18

Game is out in two weeks hell yeah.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Finally got early missiles and got to use them in a war. Mid 50s, me and France vs Russia and Japan. 1900 start so it took loving forever to get here. The game really needs a 1945 start or something. Even if you start in 1935 it's hours before you start to unlock a big chunk of the new content.

Anyway larger ships like battleships can tank a fair number of heavy SSMs. Nailed the pride of the Russian fleet with a dozen (you can strap SSMs to basically anything for minimal weight so there's no reason not to) and while it did a whole bunch of superstructure damage and knocked out all of its main turrets it still took a good number of 16 inch hits and some torpedos to finally sink the drat thing.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I should not be allowed to design botes.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

wins32767 posted:

Coward, only 16" guns.

Tbh the reason it even has 16 inch guns is the ship designer is pretty restrictive late game on what it will let you build to not get slapped with a "Can't classify ship" error. CAs max out at 26,000 tons, Battleships can be huge but you need a minimum of three centerline turrets on it of 11 inches or greater.

I wanted to get rid of all the main turrets and put even more missiles on it but the game wouldn't let me. Also the topside limitations block you from making really wacky poo poo, I hope they loosen it up in the future because I'm a bit skeptical that a single tube HSM should take up the same topside space as a 16 inch triple turret on a battleship.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 23, 2023

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Dreamsicle posted:

Speaking of Corvettes, is there a point to building them? I just spam a bunch of DD's.

With ASW gear they're a super cheap low maintenance way to crank out ships for trade protection which lets your save your destroyers for fleet duty. A cheap 500 ton corvette can do the same sub hunting duties as a 900+ ton destroyer. This is especially true later in the WW2 era and beyond when destroyers are hitting 2000+ tons.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Late game large scale engagements seem pretty indecisive. Probably over three hundred ship heavy anti ship missiles fired and over 450 total planes shot down in wave after wave of ASM based air attacks for 7 sunk on one side and 12 on the other. Radar guided medium AA combined with a few missile countermeasure technologies seem to counter a decent number of missiles and even when they get through missile hits aren't as catastrophic as you might expect for a hit with a heavy SSM.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

wins32767 posted:

I think when you get missiles, but missiles seem to be rather weak in terms of killing stuff.

They're more about causing fires and blowing things off the topside of a ship unless you go for the diving missile technology/doctrine which converts them to below the waterline/torpedo hits but it also makes them a fair bit more unreliable so it's not always worth it.

Once everyone is building lighter ships covered with missiles/flammable aluminum hulls they tend to get a bit more deadly when they hit (although with countermeasures/CIWS/SAMs being able to shoot them down it balances out).

But early on because missiles are treated like giant HE shells something heavy like a BB can tank a fair number of missiles and keep going. Early in the missile age of my last game I nailed one with 12 Heavy SSM hits and it kept trucking along until my own BB put a number of 16 inch shells through it. That being said the missiles managed to knock out all four of its turrets, it's radar, and caused engine damage which left it as a sitting duck for those shells so they're still pretty devastating.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Rule The Waves 3: UNSIGHTED has been hit by a missile

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Fun possible bug is messing up my Japan game.

Late 1940s, in a war with Germany with my ally the US. I've long since controlled all of North Asia but they've still got the Bismark Archipelago in Southern Asia. They aren't sending any ships to either zone for me to blow up (probably because they're also in a war with England and France) so I figure why not send a big force and do a naval invasion?

So I send a large task force to Southern Asia and now the game keeps failing to generate battles (mostly coastal bombardment) and penalizing me with "Unable to muster force, Germany gains 500 VP" every single turn. I've got an overwhelming superiority of forces, plenty of bases between my own in the region and all of the American bases, but the game just can't seem to figure out a battle and just decides I'm going to lose the war VP every turn despite Germany being the one with no ships in the region.

Edit: I'm an idiot and didn't realize the Bismark Archipelago was in the South Pacific and mistook the line indicating South Pacific->South Asia transit point to be pointing to its location.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Madurai posted:

The tagline says "Ironclads to missile cruisers" and it doesn't really deliver on the first part. Where's my agonizing decision of masts vs. no masts? Where's the firepower revolution converting from muzzle-loaders to breechloaders? 1860 campaign now!

It's funny because while that would probably require a decent amount of work to fit things like central battery broadside ironclads into the game engine, I can't think of many more things other than VLS that they'd need to add to have the game be workable through like, the 1980s.