Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

This game really loves rubberbanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

quote:

I've known for a little while now that there is some strange behaviour with machinery at higher speeds, the ones I knew off off hand were 53,900tons @ 34kts, and 21,900tons @ 35kts.

I got curious about what other weirdness there is in the curves, so I found the relevant memory addresses, wrote a script to record them, and scrolled through the tonnages in the designer, imported the results into excel, charted, posted to imgur, and now here:

https://imgur.com/a/jrwsETf

Turns out ideal tonnages for super low weight, low cost machinery are 6900t@38kts, 10900t @37kts, 17900 @36kts, 21900t @35kts, and 53900t @34kts

Those were all version 1.03, 1900 start, turn one.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ah the ai wars mod is out (in beta alpha)

http://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/2552/ai-wars-mod-v0-302

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 11, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Still astounded that nws didn't adjust the battle gen at all

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I was too overzealous with scrapping the lovely obselote ships in the 1920 start as uk and now france is blockading me.

quote:

The following are the fixes/changes made for the 1.04 update:
Aircraft with ground attack orders will return if the target is already destroyed.
Range circles for enemy air will now only show land bases.
Removed duplicate tech for twin DP mounts.
Some further tweaks of armour weight for large ships.
Reduced turret weight for heavy guns (17 in +)
Fixed strange declarations of war after other nations blitzkrieg occupations.
Fixed a bug with research above level 20 sometimes being stopped.
Fixed some battle missions (bombardment targets, start positions etc).
Fixed a bug with starting gun calibres in 1920.
Spain is now included as a playable nation in 1900.
Raised the chance of an invasion occurring.

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 14, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wow I finally got a battle where I started 100+ miles away from the objective so maybe my carriers will finally be used as intended.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

tl/n twin mounts means two guns on one turret hth

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

one day someone will mod the legacy fleet builder into the 1920 start and there will be no reason to play the 1900 start

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you can build low tonnage corvettes (400-500 ton kes) in the early game that'll only take 4 months to build.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gort posted:

If we're going for the cheapest possible ship for trade protection (which I assume is optimal, nobody said anything when I asked if their capabilities matter) then a 600-ton corvette is an inferior choice to a 500-ton destroyer, though, isn't it?

You can save a lot on the engine costs because a KE only needs to go 20kts at most.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I did it i found the worst ai design

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I encountered it in 1917

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the ai decided to only put six inches of armor on its 13 inch guns so a single flying boat killed it.

edit: also til that old ships are more prone to flooding

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 20, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you could have gone for 20in guns so yeah

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Just go fisher my man

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ive only had that problem with dive bombers

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

1.05 is out they still havent fixed the battle gen for carrier battles

quote:

The following are the fixes/changes made for the v1.05 update:
If a submarine ban is implemented, any build requirement of submarines will be voided.
Reduced risk of research getting "stuck" in research areas with long time between levels.
Reconstruction messages for DD and K are now merged into one message, just as for commissioning.
Improved feedback on invasion progress.
Fixed problem with research above level 20 being stopped (again).
Fixed a bug with erroneous message about S and T catapult positions not balanced.
Sinking ships will no longer contribute HAA fire.
No prestige loss when buying foreign aircraft if no own aircraft type for that role is available.
Only aircraft roles that are available will be shown in the list when requesting prototypes.
Fixed a bug with enemy flying boats contributing to player ASW efforts.
Fixed a bug with Electro-optical director.
Fixed a problem with too frequent "Enemy dominating".
Aircraft torpedoes will be limited to 2 torpedoes per/TB plane stationed on each carrier/base.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you hit compare role don't select heavy bomber becasue those aren't actually in the game and probably never will be (unless they're releated to SSM tech) and then right click on an aircraft from your allies

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 27, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how far away should you be before re-enabling torpedos though

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

where the gently caress is 1.06

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

quote:

If a nation has an operational carrier, chances increase that torpedo bomber or dive bomber tech will be unlocked.

*eyes slowly widen*

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The new airbase mechanic doesn't seem to properly display authorized air strength. It works fine but it worries me that its gonna break at any moment.

Also do reserve airbases change their authorized strength to full during war time?

edit: also it seems to be loving up the allocation of aircraft to squadrons.

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 25, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Because the games research system is still loving bugged

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

apparently the game bugs out if you have too many aircraft attacking surface ships. I was getting a ton of error messages(I would have taken a screenshot if I knew it was gonna turn out like this) that said the ship count was too high for the attacking aircraft.

over 250 aircraft sent on a strike and only two bomb hits scored

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Aircraft seems so tedious. Can’t you turn the air techs off, or slow them down? I just wanna slug it out with my big ships forever.

it still pisses me off how little effort the devs put in actually modeling carrier warfare

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

quote:

The following are the fixes/changes made for the v1.07 update:
Increased the effect of accelerated construction if a nation has efficient shipbuilding industry (will make it about 15% faster instead of 10%).
There is now a chance that nations losing a war will have to return possessions conquered during the war. The chance is based on the severity of the war loss.
Fixed a bug in copy air group function.
Fixed a bug with air unit experience.
Corrected electro-optical director crew size.
Airbase list in air groups screen now sorted by area.
Added multi select and button to select all air bases in air groups screen.
Carriers will now not lose contact with division.
Changed tonnage limit for treaties. (The game will not choke on anything up to 100 000 if modded).
Armed merchants may show up in convoys.
Fixed a bug with the wrong penetration modifier being used in some cases.
Ship crew quality after a refit will now always be lower than before the refit.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

:think:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The devs are real dumb

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

because the devs are bad at coding

guys the ai is scaring me

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

has it been updated in the last two months

the answer is probably the same

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

(its no)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm bored when are they going to fix the loving game

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

dear god....

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

No, it's a save game in 1922. They all have their historical fleets, dummy

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wait theres an option to just set it to automatic?????????

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Well, for part of this I can help. After your glass canon battle cruisers “discover” guys that can explode them, you can click on their fleet icon.

Once there, if it is not already set to this, set the squadrons lead formation to your battle squadron, then change their role to “screen” and exit.

Then watch then retreat into a screening position.

If you’d like, you could also set them to core and make them part of the battle line.

yeah but you dont get to pick what ships go in what divisions so you can't do multiple types of light cruisers

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

so uh if the new air management stuff in 1.08 is broke how come they haven't released a hotfix yet....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

quote:

The following are the fixes/changes made for the v1.09 update:
Revised battle missions for Italy and AH to account for possible change in ownership of Dalmatia.
Tweaked battle compositions so that lack of certain ship types will not guarantee that a "better" type is substituted.
Aircraft of multi deleted air units will now end up in the pool of available aircraft.
Auto delete of unused rebuild design files is now an option. If checked, the delete will be performed every December.
The airbase list data will now update after multi-moving air units to the reserve.
"Fastest Available" checkbox will be automatically turned off if game speed is manually lowered.
Added copy and paste function for air groups in Air Groups screen.
Airbases in air groups screen now sorted: Reserve - CV - Home area bases - other bases by possession.
Fixed an error with British bonus techs in the nation file.
Added Dreadnought to the British ship names file.
Made airstrikes less likely to target transports.

Yawn