Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

So what speed is everyone leaning towards for your battle line?

I've been leaning towards USN style; set a speed at 23 knots with my first generation of BC's and work up to 9x16" guns and a 16" immunity zone as close to max range to about 20k yards(12.5-14 Belt, 13-14.5 Turret and 3.5-7 Deck and Turret Top depending on year).

It's been pretty successful, as anything faster either is outgunned or has a much smaller immunity zone and gets dunked on early, and 23 knots is enough to chase down most B's and CA's with my first generation of BB's that the game calls BC's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

bewbies posted:

is anyone having this thing in the ship designer where the "check" and "save" buttons don't work?

Are you designing a CL?

They require 1" of deck armor, and that happens if you don't meet that requirement.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Mirrors posted:

What are the requirements for a cvl? I'm not able to purpose build them yet but have the tech to convert and just can't get it to accept a build and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

Speed greater than 20 knots, Displacement 16000 or less, remove all the armament and you can't use the autodesigner to make it pretty.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Grumio posted:

Is there a guide to ship design? I feel reasonably well-versed in naval history, but when faced with this game I don't know what constitutes "good" design for armor thickness, guns, number of turrets, etc.

Is the strategy just to look at enemy ships and design something that can penetrate their armor while being impervious to their fire?

This requires a treatise because what nation you're playing as, what your overall strategy and changes in technology make hard / fast rules for anything other than BB's impossible.

I have some generally good designs for 1900-1910 that I crib every game but after that it really depends on your level of tech and what your goals are.

In the predread-early dread era switching your doctrine to favor HE at med/long range and maximizing volume of fire is the way to go.

I don't build B's at the start of the game, because I don't feel they're competitive with CA's in terms of the battles they get into; and the CA design I posted below will win 1v1's against B's until AP tech advances significantly ( had 2 of them with 5 DD's sink 3/4 French B's in a single battle).

These are all 1899 Designs, the CA's are built in France because they're the only ones with 16000 starting docks.

CA:

This CL is an effective raider, a bit pricy but it can generally escape anything it can't kill, the design is overhauled and made into a new version every 5-7 years and I've had some of my starting CL's of this design continue raiding in colonial zones well into the 30's.

CL:

This DD exemplifies my DD design philosophy, a balance of speed, guns and Torpedoes. 600T DD's will focus on getting up to 30 knots with a similar armament, 900 DD's will get 4" guns and more tubes.

DD:

For BB's IMO you should be aiming for the following as a baseline and then choosing to focus on either Speed, Armor, or Firepower to taste.

Torpedo Protection 2 or 4

8-9 16" guns or 10-12 14" guns

22 Knots+ PICK A SPEED AND STICK TO IT STARTING WITH YOUR FIRST BB

Immunity to 16" shells from 25000-19000 yards, starting with turrets.

24x3-4" DP AA Battery / at least 20LAA/20MAA/4AAD

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 20, 2019

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Eh, that CA is really just a mislabeled CL, 37 knots is crazy fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Hard hitting Oppo in France is finding out neither of you are cheating.

What kind of pervert only fucks their spouse?