Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Just started my first game as the U.S and I did ok until I lost a war against Germany in the mid 1900s. I have some questions.

1. I usually let the auto-designer do its thing and just modify things to make it better. Is there an easy way to compare autogenerated designs with your current ones to make sure nothing important had to be compromised?
2. How often should I design a new class? Part of the reason I lost was I didn't make any designs for extended times.
3. If it depends on certain techs, what are the most important ones to focus on?
4. I noticed near the end of the war, any time I tried to autogenerate Heavy Cruisers they were Baltimore-class sized at 1905. Is this supposed to happen? I'd like to make those sizes of ships for Bs/BBs.
5. How much of a ship class should I have? I usually do 3-4 B/BBs, 5-6 CA's, 9-10 CL's and 20+ minimum for DDs all in the same class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Thanks everyone, last question for now. I recall on an old RTW LP BCs more or less replaced CAs since BCs counted for Cruiser actions. Is that still the case? It might explain the Baltimore sized CAs in 1905.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I should not be allowed to design botes.

I really want to know how well this does.

I have some more questions after getting a game into the late 1920s.

1) Is there a point to having the ranges for ships be longer than medium besides maybe raiders?
2) How bad in practice is it to enable box magazines? I know it what does but are the tradeoffs that bad?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

pedro0930 posted:

The main cause of ship sinking is usually when the ship run out of flotation point. Getting penetrated in the belt cause lots of flotation damage. Besides that, your machinery is also not protected with box magazine so it's more likely to be knocked out. It's a pretty big weakness if you expect the ship to ever have to slug it out with another surface combatant. On the other hand, it's somewhat difficult to armor a cruiser sufficiently against another cruiser so it might be pointless to try.

Thanks, I'll probably keep them on my BC's and leave them off BB's.

Bremen posted:

I went and built a bunch of 1k ton corvettes to handle foreign station duties but apparently they only count for 500 tons on foreign duties for some reason. That's annoying.
Speaking of Corvettes, is there a point to building them? I just spam a bunch of DD's.

For future additions/changes I want nuclear propulsion. Operation Sea Orbit was during the game's timeframe.

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 23, 2023

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I'm surprised nuclear propulsion isn't in the game considering it fits in the timeframe.