Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Kibayasu posted:

Now that Mr Slam has come and gone and looking at a few of the other characters I guess everyone was the winner of TM2 in their own version of it... or they just decided nuts to continuity and went with the rule of cool (also acceptable).

Yeah, however you want to think of it is valid, supposedly Outlaw and Outlaw 2 are the canon winners of the first two games but that's meaningless, there's nothing in the games to back that up. It's less relevant than ever this episode, Thumper's got a new driver.

Update: Thumper in Paris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I watched the TM Black LP and the story mostly worked there. It did not tell great stories or anything like that, but the endings and introductions were usually not too bad. I wonder if that was just a stroke of luck.

I don't think we can attribute Thumper's ending to budget constraints. Making two cutscenes, each half as long as one single longer one, should not be that much more expensive. There's also that if you are a mediocre writer, constraints in the cutscene time tends to work in your favor. It forces you to cut out what's not absolutely needed, and what's not absolutely needed is probably not going to be that interesting anyway with a mediocre writing skill, and you are also forced to use what time you do have available efficiently. Spending 2 minutes to tell something that could be told in just 40 seconds is rarely a good idea, which makes the forced efficiency a blessing in disguise.

There's definitely room for stories with hours worth of cutscenes, but not so much in twisted metal. Most stories are more jokes than stories, like "ha ha, Angel asked for a car that will shake the world and she got one that literally shakes the world via earthquakes".

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hip-hop Paris Hilton probably sounded incredibly clever in 2004.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Crystalgate posted:

I watched the TM Black LP and the story mostly worked there. It did not tell great stories or anything like that, but the endings and introductions were usually not too bad. I wonder if that was just a stroke of luck.

Honestly, it's probably because of David Jaffe. He wrote the entirety of Black (and 1 and 2), and brought in Paul Jenkins, a talented and prolific comic writer, for "additional dialogue," which I assume means he kept things from being too self indulgent. Jaffe's an embarrassing edgelord to be sure, but he knows Twisted Metal and how to make the best of it, and that includes keeping the stories well-paced and impactful.

Kibayasu posted:

Hip-hop Paris Hilton probably sounded incredibly clever in 2004.

There's an ending coming up that's even more frozen in the mid-2000s and I'm really looking forward to sharing it. This has to be the least timeless Twisted Metal (which is saying a lot), but the poorly aged parts are also some of my favorites. Not Angel, though, she's actually terrible.

Update: Grasshopper in Egypt

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

To give it a few seconds of thought I guess the idea is that Krista's wish, since it was a "change the past" deal, created her body again as it would be at the time of the accident had it not happened but since she didn't do the wish right that's all it did. Then she wound up in the hospital and 15 years later yadda-yadda-yadda Calypso can ignore time travel changes because something something wish powers.

Oh, and Egypt, that's a pretty big and interconnected level for only 6 cars. I guess that might be a PSP thing. Seems like it could hold at least another 2.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 16, 2019

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Kibayasu posted:

To give it a few seconds of thought I guess the idea is that Krista's wish, since it was a "change the past" deal, created her body again as it would be at the time of the accident had it not happened but since she didn't do the wish right that's all it did. Then she wound up in the hospital and 15 years later yadda-yadda-yadda Calypso can ignore time travel changes because something something wish powers.
Seems like that's what they were going for, but they really needed state it clearly instead of hint at it in one line from Calypso that gets cut off. Plus people have been wishing to change the past since TM1 and they've always been straightforward Twilight Zone affairs, no idea why they felt the need to add new rules to it now.

Kibayasu posted:

Oh, and Egypt, that's a pretty big and interconnected level for only 6 cars. I guess that might be a PSP thing. Seems like it could hold at least another 2.
I think 5 enemies is the most they throw at you in story mode, but I'm pretty sure there's more per level in challenge mode (which is like level select but with a fixed group of enemies for each level). We'll see, I plan to do a bit of challenge mode stuff starting next video. EDIT: nvm, challenge mode tops out at 5 enemies and you select them yourself, it's pretty uninteresting

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 18, 2019

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
See, I interpreted Krista's story like this

There was a car accident that happened 15 years ago. It involved Calypso and his family. The accident killed Calypso's wife, mangled his face/gave him magic powers, and put Krista in a coma. That happened in "reality"

Calypso's powers are based on Evil Genie rules. He can do whatever. It's magic. But 1) The wish has to be what the winner wants. He can't force someone to wish for something. 2) The winner has to wish for the thing they want out loud. 3) He has to follow the letter of a wish, if not the spirit, and as we've seen over and over again, he uses this to gently caress people over for his own amusement.

So, he wants his daughter to come out of her coma, but it is beyond his powers to do so outside of someone wishing for it. He can do it, if someone wishes for it, but the only person that would even risk their lives for a wish like that would be Krista herself. So he manages to summon her spirit to the tournament, to give her a fighting chance.

Now if we add the vaguely worded "It had to be like this, otherwise your mind wouldn't-" warning, it makes a little sense that he can't just say, "You're in a coma, I can summon you to participate in TM, but in order to bring you back to life you have to win, and wish for your body to be back to normal (ie NOT comatose)"

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Let's cleanse the palette of Grasshopper's vague, poorly explained ending with two more endings, one of the best in the game and one of the worst in the series.

Update: Shadow vs Cousin Eddy

Boss videos always take a bit longer because I defeat and play as the boss in the same video, so even though they're regular length videos, it's nearly twice as much work for me. Next video poses a unique challenge as well, hopefully that won't cause too much of a delay in its production.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me, or do Mortimer and Calypso look suspiciously similar in this game, or at least that ending cutscene?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
It's mostly because of the hair, but yeah, they're almost identical and any time they're in the same shot, it takes a second to figure out which one is which

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I ended up playing heaps of TM2 in 2016 for... reasons. But my goodness it was a fun trip. The physics are so wonky and all over the show. And the level design in TW2 is just incredible. Each level is so unique and when they're meant to feel big, they really do feel big. I still need to go back and complete the campaign on hardest with grasshopper or the monster truck or another hard to play character though.

Thanks for this LP yo! Axel roar "full power!" *ices self*

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Honestly, I appreciated Cousin Eddy's ending for Calypso finally getting the throttling he deserves.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Cousin Eddy's ending is bad, but I think Spectre's is worse. I'm more against Cousin Eddy's existence as a boss, he makes a poor replacement for Minion. I have a hard time seeing stereotyped Hillbillys as a worthy successor of a lord of hell, they are a downgrade in all ways. That concept would probably have done better as a standard character than a boss.

Crystalgate fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 29, 2019

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Well, not only is "hillbilly stereotype" a midboss with no thematic connection to anything, it's also a standard player character. In fact, two of the basic vehicles are driven by hillbillies, for a total of three hillbilly stories we have to see. One of them is kinda great, but they really should've just had that one and ripped off some other 80s comedy for their boss.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I speculate that you can indirectly blame the series obsession with hillbilly psychos on Twisted Metal 2 and Axel. They knew they had a pretty distinctive design in Axel and put him front and centre on the cover. His ending has him confront his, guess who, psycho hillbilly father who locked him into the wheels. Therefor in the future we must always have a psycho hillbilly!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Long overdue, uncommonly short update: ATV in Roman Ruins

Anyone who has tried to follow my LPs of the past few years has seen these sorts of delays before, and it's likely to plague the rest of this series. Apologies.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Fiendly posted:

Long overdue, uncommonly short update: ATV in Roman Ruins

Anyone who has tried to follow my LPs of the past few years has seen these sorts of delays before, and it's likely to plague the rest of this series. Apologies.

Glad this is back, hope you're doing OK. I kind of thought that the twist was going to be even more gay panic, but I guess I'm glad it's only kind of offensive.

And I saw this a few weeks back, vaguely thread related.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L0nQfqNENk

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I know this isn't exactly the first uninspired character in a Twisted Metal game but boy that character was thrown in just to fill a quota, huh? Redneck, wants to gently caress, ATV, shotgun/dynamite special.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
PIZZA: Axel in Russia

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Of all the ways I expected that to go, that was absolutely not one of them.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
another one: Twister in Greece

this ending is a fair bit more predictable than the last, unfortunately

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Goodness me... I'd never played Head on (or that spin-off mentioned that the series tries very hard to ignore, yet forced into an ending anyway), so these endings... Yeah, this is pretty much a return to form, for the most part, and that pleases me.

Still, yes, that one was a bit predictable, although I did enjoy the comeuppance of Redneck McMumbles over there (Let's face it, a mid-2000s joke deserves a mid 2000s nickname), and Angel. Maybe we can win the tournament and wish for - Twisted Metal 2012 waves in the background, to my sideye

...On second thoughts, let's not! (Although something Twisted Metal like would be nice. Seen quite a few car arena battlers over the years, including at least one SatAm themed one, but... Multiplayer only, or campaign as afterthought. Sigh.)

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

JamieTheD posted:

Still, yes, that one was a bit predictable, although I did enjoy the comeuppance of Redneck McMumbles over there (Let's face it, a mid-2000s joke deserves a mid 2000s nickname), and Angel.

Axel, Shadow, and ATV were the endings I was really looking forward to showing off in the LP, I've pretty much got nothing from here on.

JamieTheD posted:

(Although something Twisted Metal like would be nice. Seen quite a few car arena battlers over the years, including at least one SatAm themed one, but... Multiplayer only, or campaign as afterthought. Sigh.)

Funny enough, TM2012 was planned to be multiplayer only, but Sony talked them into adding story campaigns believing that's what fans wanted. They would have been right, but the single player ended up haphazardly thrown together, with wild swings in difficulty and the Jaffe-est cutscenes ever (read: unbearably edgy). Ironically, the multiplayer of TM2012 was also terrible because of obvious vehicle imbalance leading to everyone driving the same car in every match, and the servers were shut down earlier this year so it's unplayable anyway.

Even considering how flawed the most recent Twisted Metal game was, a return to the series (or at least the vehicle combat genre in some form) is always welcome. Even this snarky assessment of the series that I feel the need to link once per thread comes to the conclusion that it's worth bringing back.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You're losing your touch Calypso! You're supposed to let the contestant's hubris and misguided intentions turn their wishes into bad things, not just spawn some zombies or quite deliberately mishear them :colbert:

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Especially as if they'd used her earlier comment of repairing any damage Calypso had done in her wish, they could then have justified anything with "it was the dinosaur which killed her, not Calypso."

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Fiendly posted:

To his credit, Jaffe was completely uninvolved with the GoW series by the third game, but that does little to mitigate the fact that he's the ultimate edgelord. I can't deny my own edgelord tendencies after the stuff I've filled my channel with, and I can't even begin to handle TM2012, which is by far the worst in the series in terms of story (could still make a good LP for poo poo-talking the game).
As someone who has finished all vehicles in TM2, TM:B and TM2012 without cheats and who spent far too much of my youth on the second game and reading the lore, I'd love to co-commentate on a trashing of TM2012 if you are going for a group LP. Cause man that game is, well, interesting.

EDIT: Not saying I'm good at the games, I just spent so much time on the first two, especially TM2.

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 5, 2019

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update: Crimson Fury in Monaco

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I guess that's the canon ending then! We didn't have any more Twisted Metal competitions after this one because Calypso's busy serving time. Shucks.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah that map really feels like it should've been a twister unlockable map.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I guess that's the canon ending then! We didn't have any more Twisted Metal competitions after this one because Calypso's busy serving time. Shucks.

Ha, it is true enough that endings with the least potential for follow-through are the most correct ones since this is the last game of the series.

Bonus video: Warthog in Minigames 1 (Big Blue, LA, Paris, Greece, Monaco)

Finally getting to about half of the minigames Head On has to offer, and this is where you start to question if we really needed this much content. Still, it's there, so I'm gonna play through it and cram in a character's story as well.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Not allowing you to stock up on lives is bullshit. This is a challenging game, why even tease you with the concept of going for extra lives if you can't carry them over?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Man that first minigame brings back so many memories of playing Destruction Derby (which is probably what they intended!). I'd always play it with the invulnerability cheat because as in here it was really tough to smash opponents without ending up smashed yourself due to rebound damage.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Obviously the message is "children are just as dangerous as adults and need to be shot just the same."

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

CzarChasm posted:

Not allowing you to stock up on lives is bullshit. This is a challenging game, why even tease you with the concept of going for extra lives if you can't carry them over?

It is terrible design that those "rewards" aren't permanent or even last for a full campaign. The fact that the first minigame that gives an extra life is so hard (that is, impossible for about half the cars in the game) fills me with unanswerable questions.

Kibayasu posted:

Obviously the message is "children are just as dangerous as adults and need to be shot just the same."

Didn't work out in the long run for Frankie "kill-the-children-too" Franchetti

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update: Mr. Grimm in Transylvania

The Halloween special is here, exactly when you would expect it! In case you want to hear the music for this level on its own, it can be found here and here. Next time, we begin the endgame of Head On (even though the Let's Play is nowhere near done)

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Honestly, not making the new Death tiny was a wasted opportunity.

And I agree, I'd love to see a TM game with tiny Ms. Grimm as the biker.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Death being a pathetic waste always felt like a genuine attempt at subversion for Twisted Metal.

Rutkowski posted:

Honestly, not making the new Death tiny was a wasted opportunity.

And I agree, I'd love to see a TM game with tiny Ms. Grimm as the biker.

Triker.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update: Outlaw in Tokyo Streets

Now with episode thumbnails!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well that wasn't a particularly surprising outcome. She really should have listened to her brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

*Wins the Twisted Metal Tournament 3 times, racking up at least 25 direct deaths between the two of them*

"We're cops, we don't have to kill people to solve problems"

Yeah. Yeah you do.