Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh Outlaw(s), what wacky shenanigans will they get up to next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update: Hammerhead in Tokyo Rooftops

Shortest video yet, but the remaining ones will likely be the longest of the LP, this is just a filler level with a filler character

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
As we're winding down here, do you have a favorite character/vehicle to play in any of the TM games?

I'll always go to Mr. Grim as my starter, otherwise Mr. Slam, or Shadow.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Definitely Mr. Grimm as well, few games have ever designed so perfect a glass cannon, but since he seems to be everyone's favorite and I can't be caught doing anything popular, Roadkill is consistently a fun and interesting vehicle. Similar stats to Grimm and a special that can usually do even more damage than Grimm's, but with a trick to it that keeps you from getting full damage most of the time. Also Darkside is amazing in all of its infrequent appearances.

SoylentG
Apr 5, 2011
When we were kids, we'd reenact the Terminator 2 chase in the canals with Darkside and Mr. Grimm.

I always had a soft spot for Spectre, and of course Axel and Mr. Slam.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember liking Grasshopper but I don't remember why. Probably just because the car yelled "Yeehaw!" when you hit the special.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I liked Grasshopper too, because it was kind of a risk/reward system that my friends never caught on to. If you played her as going head on with anyone, you were dead meat. But if you played hit and run with her, threw on shields before slamming into someone and boosting off around a corner, that worked pretty well.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update: Spectre in Minigames 2 (Egypt, Roman Ruins, Russia, Transylvania, Tokyo Streets & Rooftops)

Be sure to check out my new thread if you haven't yet, I'm playing through some odd, underappreciated classic-style Castlevania games.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Those are some pretty dire minigames, especially if you can fail just because you brought the wrong car. Twisted Metal and you can't even use weapons in the race? :cmon:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I think it came up before but the mini games were a bad design decision from the word go. Stupid, inconsistent game types, with inconsistent rewards, some of which are completely pointless. Extra guys? Cool, but maxing out at a 3 life cap is BS. Getting death match versions of existing maps seems kind of weird. Who is that for? Why not just have deathmatch versions of those levels already unlocked? Unlocking new characters is cool, but getting them by beating a race or obstacle course seems odd. These are not really driving skill based games (it's not the main focus of the games at least), so why have mini-games centered around how well you can drive as opposed to how well you blow up other competitors?

The tank battle mini game would make more sense if there was a boss battle that played out like that. Overhead view, ice physics, but you can use all your weapons. - That might be fun. As it stands, it doesn't even fit thematically to just have a series of tanks to fight.

Again, the unlockable players might be more fun if you have to challenge and beat a slightly souped up version of that car. So maybe a mini-boss. I don't remember if that's how Black worked. I know you had to find hidden altars and activate a button in front of them, but don't recall if you had to fight them and win.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Kibayasu posted:

Those are some pretty dire minigames, especially if you can fail just because you brought the wrong car.

To be fair, there's only the two out of 11 that are impossible with the wrong car, and even then only on Hard. Not that I don't agree, just being fair.

CzarChasm posted:

I think it came up before but the mini games were a bad design decision from the word go.

Says it all, really. No one wants to interrupt their car combat with some random nonsense, and the engine isn't designed for any of the minigames so they all feel sloppy. They can't be judged qualitatively because they simply don't belong, they merely exist to be ignored by anyone who isn't doing a Let's Play. Best I can say is that most of the minigames were amusing and satisfying to complete, but very frustrating.

In Black, unlocking things just involved finding a thing and either collecting it or destroying it, but unlocking bonus characters with little boss fights Super Smash Bros style is a good idea. In fact, TM4 did that, but there was no secret to it, every level just ends with a boss who becomes playable after you first defeat them (I think, I haven't played it).

If you want to see the developers learn the wrong lessons from the Head On minigames, go play the 2012 remake, where they're integrated into the mandatory campaign! They did make some changes that made them feel a bit more like Twisted Metal, buuuuuut only a bit.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Roadkill vs Dark Tooth

Really kept everyone waiting for this one, but at long last, it's final boss time. There will be one more bonus video to wrap up this LP, but I have absolutely no idea when I'll be able to make it, might be fairly soon, or it might take a very long time. Expect more of this LP someday, but at least we made it to the most important part.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The weirdest part is that apparently Marcus is both taller and heavier than Needles. I guess a "rational mind" adds a couple inches & pounds

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Glad this is back.

So my take on Roadkill is that he's Needles' fabricated personality. So there is no Marcus (for this story) there is only, physically, Sweet Tooth. So when Calypso offers to end Marcus' nightmare, he locks away that personality back in Needles' mind, effectively killing Marcu. Of course that does nothing to explain how Roadkill and Sweet Tooth can be in the same fight, or how they both can operate two separate two man vehicles. Dark tooth's ending would seem to indicate that through Calypso magic, he creates two physical beings from the split-personality of Marcus/Needles - which really kind of works as an origin, but not so much as an ending.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Tower Tooth Challenge + Sweet Tour

Bonus materials:
Twisted Metal: The Dark Past documentary
Sweet Tour Factoids Part 1: Asylum (1-14)
Sweet Tour Factoids Part 2: Impound Lot (15-29)

Alright, that's it! The end of Twisted Metal forever. This series is over and will never return, but it was good while it lasted. Thanks for joining me, it's been fun to revisit these old games, especially this weird and super underrated final one.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
*wobbly lines as we enter the dark shadows of Fiendly's mind as he imagine the worst possibilities of the TM franchise*

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Huh, I guess it's good they realized that as you said that players wouldn't want on-foot sections in their Twisted Metals.

As for people ignoring the coded message you put in your last LP, at least in my case it's more that I uh... didn't notice it. I'm not really the coded-message-seeking kinda person :shrug:

Anywho, thanks for expertly presenting another metal-twisting videogame, very eager for your next showing(s)!

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Phenomenal work!

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Zanzibar Ham posted:

As for people ignoring the coded message you put in your last LP, at least in my case it's more that I uh... didn't notice it. I'm not really the coded-message-seeking kinda person :shrug:

Same here. Also looking forward to seeing you play through the abomination that is TM2012.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Same here. Also looking forward to seeing you play through the abomination that is TM2012.

At least the soundtrack is good, right guys?

G... guys?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wow, tm 2012 is the edgy fan game of the series, huh?

Even black kept more of the light hearted comedy than this.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

As an LP viewer myself, I know it's a passive medium. I'm too lazy to play a video game if I'm watching one, I'm certainly not interested in deciphering some nonsense. It was just a weird experiment when I tried it out last time, just to see what would happen, and it's kind of cool to know that I can edit well enough to make something look unedited if I really put my mind to it.

Broken Box posted:

Phenomenal work!

Thank you so much! It's almost funny how my expectations for an LP are always the exact opposite of how they turn out, I thought this thread would be a disaster but it seems to be pretty okay in the end.

The Let's Play for the Twisted Metal reboot has made its official debut so anyone interested in that can head over there now if they missed the sneak preview. Just be forewarned that it's a very different game and a very different style of LP, with co-commentators, profanity, and the most unpleasant and irresponsible representations of excessive violence in any game I've ever played. It's a real far cry from the silly, colorful games we've been enjoying in this thread, but if you're up to test your mettle, we're going to have a good time mocking the many shortcomings and praising the moments of brilliance in Twisted Metal (2012)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fiendly posted:

Roadkill vs Dark Tooth

Really kept everyone waiting for this one, but at long last, it's final boss time. There will be one more bonus video to wrap up this LP, but I have absolutely no idea when I'll be able to make it, might be fairly soon, or it might take a very long time. Expect more of this LP someday, but at least we made it to the most important part.

I missed this completely for a month. Random observations

Tower Tooth? Real creative there guys.

After playing Black and if I didn't know better the start of the boss fight theme would have made me think they got another Rolling Stones song, Sympathy for the Devil in this case. I wonder if that's what they were actually going for.

Fiendly posted:

Tower Tooth Challenge + Sweet Tour

Bonus materials:
Twisted Metal: The Dark Past documentary
Sweet Tour Factoids Part 1: Asylum (1-14)
Sweet Tour Factoids Part 2: Impound Lot (15-29)

Alright, that's it! The end of Twisted Metal forever. This series is over and will never return, but it was good while it lasted. Thanks for joining me, it's been fun to revisit these old games, especially this weird and super underrated final one.

After all I've heard of the development behind the series its a bit amazing it lasted as long as it did. Every single game seems to be a mess in one way or several and the two biggest hits of the series were immediately followed by disappointing sequels or spin-offs. No one ever quite knew what the hell to do with it.