Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the banality of evil is far more horrifying than secret satanic lizard people illuminati cabals so i can see why people buy into the latter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

vOv I think there is both the banal evil and the other kind. The problem is largely, the science of not being seen or caught is generally well understood and employed by those sorts. It's a matter of chasing shadows and going crazy in the process.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

nobody is trying to dupe you about Bill gates. like it says in the article, oxygen access in the third world has always been a problem and the problem just became even more lucrative for him with covid. I know it’s the conspiracy thread but, if anything, the mysticism around gates just seems to detract from looking at what he openly does to profit off of necessities as basic as oxygen

https://twitter.com/oxfordndp/status/1353337277003550720?s=21

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

comedyblissoption posted:

the banality of evil is far more horrifying than secret satanic lizard people illuminati cabals so i can see why people buy into the latter

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

nut posted:

nobody is trying to dupe you about Bill gates. like it says in the article, oxygen access in the third world has always been a problem and the problem just became even more lucrative for him with covid. I know it’s the conspiracy thread but, if anything, the mysticism around gates just seems to detract from looking at what he openly does to profit off of necessities as basic as oxygen

I mean it's almost like the microchip nanomachines poo poo is a deliberate disinformation op so that as soon as you mention "Bill Gates" you get waved off as a nutjob, the same way that Pizzagate and Qanon was triggered just as Epstein was getting public attention again.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean it's almost like the microchip nanomachines poo poo is a deliberate disinformation op so that as soon as you mention "Bill Gates" you get waved off as a nutjob, the same way that Pizzagate and Qanon was triggered just as Epstein was getting public attention again.

Or Bush actually, literally doing 9/11 and "STEEL BEAMS!!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nut posted:

Oxford’s vaccine blows though.

Bullet dodged.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

what the gently caress is this common cspam knowledge?

https://twitter.com/aiishadow/status/1353069698548600837?s=21

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

nut posted:

you're going a bit far. I don't personally believe that stuff. I just see the connections my father would make. I know what he believes because he writes books @ me about it and i can pretty well intuit how he'd read it.

but yeah i also believe there are like maliciously evil people styling themselves after megalomaniac movie villains because this world is insane and broken and ofc that would happen. Money + power + boredom + mental illness is a combo that has to have happened yeah? I'm just gonna insist it exists, because it does. I am not sure Gates is one of these folks tho. I am not sure of it on anyone. Like I said, if you chase those shadows you go insane.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

at this point what self respecting billionaire isn't a covid profiteer

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

The level beyond this is that wasn't even to catch Bin Laden but to cover for the Pakistanis handing him over

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

BiggerBoat posted:

Does rigging the 2020 election count as a "conspiracy theory" yet?

Because I think in 6 weeks, poo poo's about to get buck wild no matter who wins this poo poo show.

congrats king

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

They were real injections, but the team got out before giving the booster for obvious reasons, so they weren’t very useful.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey all. I run a Youtube channel and figured this would be of interest to the thread:

I interviewed a cult deprogrammer about the Qanon, cults and the future of online conspiracy theories. It was a hugely productive conversation and I'm very happy with the finished product.

Video took a lot of work, so any likes/shares/etc are greatly appreciated!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
^ nice. i'll give that a listen

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1351386886175141894

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

BiggerBoat posted:

Does rigging the 2020 election count as a "conspiracy theory" yet?

Because I think in 6 weeks, poo poo's about to get buck wild no matter who wins this poo poo show.

The democrat primary was rigged, but I do not beleve the general was rigged independently of the democrat primary.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

avi loeb has been all loving over podcasts/youtubes/the internet lately

he's a weird combo of the graham hancock-style mainstream scientists!!! :argh: book peddler and the kind of "public intellectual" the media loves to shove down our throats

naturally he served in the idf and worked on the star wars program, and is in pcast, advising trump in science (lol). and he's a dept chair at harvard. basically the biggest fish in academia. his oumuamua claim is pretty strange given his pedigree. that kind of stuff would typically be coming from the attention seekers at the fringes

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Dr. Killjoy posted:

huh i wonder what Michael Salla is up to

oh

this is literally the plot of Battlezone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp57Lo2grfM

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Hooplah posted:

he's a weird combo of the graham hancock-style mainstream scientists!!! :argh: book peddler and the kind of "public intellectual" the media loves to shove down our throats

naturally he served in the idf and worked on the star wars program, and is in pcast, advising trump in science (lol). and he's a dept chair at harvard. basically the biggest fish in academia. his oumuamua claim is pretty strange given his pedigree. that kind of stuff would typically be coming from the attention seekers at the fringes

there was lots of weird stuff coming out about UFOs from US and Israeli sources during the Trump years. The tic-tac videos put out by the Blink 182 guy and the Israeli security chief talking about the galactic federation were the big ones.

i guess Jared Kushner read Watchmen and was planning to copy Ozymandias's plot to achieve world peace during Trump's 2nd term

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hooplah posted:

I heard him explain his argument on Event Horizon. If he wasn’t downplaying anything to sound more sane, it’s just a methodological claim that we should treat weird things as if they might be from other civilizations because selection effect will cause us to overlook evidence if we just assume everything must be natural. So his argument about Oumuamua is that every explanation requires a natural effect nobody’s ever observed, so why not build the possibility of extrasolar civilization into the investigation because it’s not necessarily less likely that it being a hydrogen iceberg.

The basic argument was that there are many instances in science of an actual phenomenon being dismissed as noise or ignored by the heuristic used that are later recognized once the underlying phenomenon is understood. So there are instances of extrasolar planets appearing in data going back to the 40s but nobody noticed because they just assumed none of those stars have planets. He doesn’t actually think there is evidence of aliens but wants to make sure no evidence is missed. Not that crazy imo but he never said what practical difference it would make to see if Oumumua was a spaceship or how much it would cost to find out.

He also proposed missions to Jupiter to see if it had captured anything from outside the solar system in its orbit, potentially including broken-down alien probes or space junk.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I heard him explain his argument on Event Horizon. If he wasn’t downplaying anything to sound more sane, it’s just a methodological claim that we should treat weird things as if they might be from other civilizations because selection effect will cause us to overlook evidence if we just assume everything must be natural. So his argument about Oumuamua is that every explanation requires a natural effect nobody’s ever observed, so why not build the possibility of extrasolar civilization into the investigation because it’s not necessarily less likely that it being a hydrogen iceberg.

The basic argument was that there are many instances in science of an actual phenomenon being dismissed as noise or ignored by the heuristic used that are later recognized once the underlying phenomenon is understood. So there are instances of extrasolar planets appearing in data going back to the 40s but nobody noticed because they just assumed none of those stars have planets. He doesn’t actually think there is evidence of aliens but wants to make sure no evidence is missed. Not that crazy imo but he never said what practical difference it would make to see if Oumumua was a spaceship or how much it would cost to find out.

He also proposed missions to Jupiter to see if it had captured anything from outside the solar system in its orbit, potentially including broken-down alien probes or space junk.

Oh so he also works for Protogen?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Supposedly, a brand new harder-than-diamond mineral was discovered in the mountains of northern "Israel" and it's causing my brain to itch whenevever I think about how hard the western imperial powers worked to destroy Palestine.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

so a couple of things:

the vaccinations were supposed to be for polio - this is the first I've heard of it being for hepatitis, and I'm assuming that clipping is inaccurate

as StashAugustine said, the next level beyond "the CIA ran a fake vaccination program so that they could identify bin Laden's location by DNA sequencing people that they vaccinated and looking for relatives" was that that in itself was the cover story. Bin Laden's location was identified by a walk-in informant, and the US felt that it would be embarassing if it ever got out that they where bin Laden was all this time and didn't do anything about it, but also that he was effectively operating under the protection of the Pakistani government, so they had to create this vaccination program story in order to make it look like they "found" bin Laden through some very clever detective work.

so not only did this cause people across the region to be suspicious of vaccination programs and health workers, but it also caused all of it unnecessarily

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

so not only did this cause people across the region to be suspicious of unambiguously good things, but it also caused all of it unnecessarily
How the U.S. will be remebered, same as Japan is known for anime and Mexico for excellent food.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The OBL vaccine story being a cover (which I never knew, goddamn) reminded me of something I read about or maybe heard on NPR back in... Obama’s first term, I think.

My recollection is so vague that I can’t possibly dig up the story with a web search, but it was something like this:

Majorly credentialed US journalist who wrote a lot about the gwot (maybe Seymour Hersh; credentialed but not necessarily always credible) hints that they’ve been made aware of some kind of next-generation military technology developed by the US. Says it will revolutionize their ability to identify and track specific individuals from a distance and through interfering layers of material (think ID’ing a person underground in a bunker remotely). Plays up the amazing technological leap that it represents, compares its significance to something ludicrous like the A-bomb.

Finding out that the vaccine story was a front within a front, coupled with my unsure memory that this story I vaguely remember came out sometime around when the OBL raid was in the news, makes me wonder if it too was planted to obfuscate the mundane and embarrassing truth about how they found bin Laden.

Or maybe the “revolutionary development in technology” being cryptically referenced was just some kind of battlefield target sharing network like they’ve sort of got for the F35.

Whatever it was, the amount of unquestioning hype the guy was giving it in some very serious program on a major media outlet has stuck in my memory, even though the details are long gone.

Does anyone else remember something like this?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The first thing I want to note is that it was Seymour Hersh who broke the story about bin Laden having been known to the Pakistanis all this time, and that the vaccine op was a cover, and that the "raid" on Abbotabad never actually happened like the official story said it did

The story you're describing sounds a LOT like what was supposed to be a "heartbeat sensor": a device that could detect individuals, even through layers of concrete, by listening for and detecting what's supposed to be an ultra-low-frequency electric field that's given off by the beating of a human heart.

The technology was supposed to be used to find avalanche and collapsed-building survivors, but the military/tactical application would be to allow you to "see" into a room that's otherwise completely sealed-up.

In reality the technology was never developed and the scientific and technical hurdles make it all but impossible. Normally this sort of thing would have been buried with the passage of time, but Tom Clancy, who always liked to insert bleeding-edge hi-tech into his stories*, wrote it into Rainbow Six so that his Tier One operators could pinpoint bad dudes before ever having to breach into a room, and hypothetical depictions of the item have also made it into the games based on Rainbow Six: https://rainbowsix.fandom.com/wiki/Heartbeat_Sensor

___

* he correctly predicted the development of the Stealth Fighter in Red Storm Rising, and the titular Red October submarine from The Hunt for the Red October was supposedly powered by a "magneto-hydrodynamic drive" that would allow it to travel underwater without any moving parts. Both of these were turned into real existing things, though the latter was never actually powerful enough to be considered for mainstream use.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
the heartbeat sensor was the predecessor of those dowsing rods the glorious United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland sold to some poor police & military fuckers in Afghanistan as bomb detectors.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
correction: not a predecessor, the heartbeat sensor too was just a dowsing rod https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1998-sep-24-me-26013-story.html

In a telephone interview, Clancy said he was told about the device by a retired assistant director of the FBI, who claimed it was very effective. “It’s possible I have been conned, but if so, it was done expertly,” Clancy said.

The retired FBI man is Daniels of Daniels-Burke & Associates, a security consulting firm in McLean, Va. “We have 27 years of law enforcement experience,” he told The Times. “We’re smart enough not to be dealing with something that is a fraud.”

90s Cringe Rock has issued a correction as of 16:12 on Jan 25, 2021

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Riot Bimbo posted:

you're going a bit far. I don't personally believe that stuff. I just see the connections my father would make. I know what he believes because he writes books @ me about it and i can pretty well intuit how he'd read it.

but yeah i also believe there are like maliciously evil people styling themselves after megalomaniac movie villains

Sorry, maybe I'm misunderstanding or maybe I misspoke, but what I'm trying to say is that you don't have to "go far" or "believe" anything beyond the immediate and self-evident. In many cases, I don't think we need grandiose ideologies to explain the motivations of the elite. If you're bottom line is your primary motivation in life, you're going to love an opportunity to increase it through marketing human necessities because it's a guaranteed market. Imo, the suffering to millions your actions will cause are invisible to you, not only because of physical and social distance, but also because you aren't focused on that. The positive impact your PR departments insist you have is an afterthought.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

The first thing I want to note is that it was Seymour Hersh who broke the story about bin Laden having been known to the Pakistanis all this time, and that the vaccine op was a cover, and that the "raid" on Abbotabad never actually happened like the official story said it did

The story you're describing sounds a LOT like what was supposed to be a "heartbeat sensor": a device that could detect individuals, even through layers of concrete, by listening for and detecting what's supposed to be an ultra-low-frequency electric field that's given off by the beating of a human heart.

The technology was supposed to be used to find avalanche and collapsed-building survivors, but the military/tactical application would be to allow you to "see" into a room that's otherwise completely sealed-up.

In reality the technology was never developed and the scientific and technical hurdles make it all but impossible. Normally this sort of thing would have been buried with the passage of time, but Tom Clancy, who always liked to insert bleeding-edge hi-tech into his stories*, wrote it into Rainbow Six so that his Tier One operators could pinpoint bad dudes before ever having to breach into a room, and hypothetical depictions of the item have also made it into the games based on Rainbow Six: https://rainbowsix.fandom.com/wiki/Heartbeat_Sensor

___

* he correctly predicted the development of the Stealth Fighter in Red Storm Rising, and the titular Red October submarine from The Hunt for the Red October was supposedly powered by a "magneto-hydrodynamic drive" that would allow it to travel underwater without any moving parts. Both of these were turned into real existing things, though the latter was never actually powerful enough to be considered for mainstream use.

That’s all very interesting. Went back and scrubbed through two Hersh interviews on NPR that covered covert operations in Syria and Iran but no mention of it. I wonder who it was...

Could very well have been the heartbeat detector thing, although from the way I remember it being described in the interview (and I’m sure it was audio now), it could be used to positively identify as well as locate. But with all the associated bullshit and hype surrounding it, it seems like a good match.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

As much as I really hope we find proof of intelligent life in the universe, I don't think that was it. The acceleration of Oumuamua is by solar radiation pressure in a manner similar to the Pioneer anomaly. One proposal I really like is a network of "statellites," which would be placed in the outer solar system and held stationary rather than orbiting the sun by using solar sails. They would be loaded with cubesat or microsat probes and upon detection of an incoming interstellar object, one or two stats would drop probes and let the sun's gravity accelerate them so that at perihelion they would need very little propellant to nudge their trajectory to hitch a ride on the visitor and start doing science.

Atrocious Joe posted:

there was lots of weird stuff coming out about UFOs from US and Israeli sources during the Trump years. The tic-tac videos put out by the Blink 182 guy and the Israeli security chief talking about the galactic federation were the big ones.

i guess Jared Kushner read Watchmen and was planning to copy Ozymandias's plot to achieve world peace during Trump's 2nd term
The tic-tac videos are overhyped nonsense. Maybe we're being visited by indistinct blobs from outer space, or maybe the game of telephone being played with the story has hyped up the "unexplainable" part of the story and overshadowed the fact that they were initially shared on the website of a company that specializes in producing video effects.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

GWBBQ posted:

As much as I really hope we find proof of intelligent life in the universe, I don't think that was it. The acceleration of Oumuamua is by solar radiation pressure in a manner similar to the Pioneer anomaly. One proposal I really like is a network of "statellites," which would be placed in the outer solar system and held stationary rather than orbiting the sun by using solar sails. They would be loaded with cubesat or microsat probes and upon detection of an incoming interstellar object, one or two stats would drop probes and let the sun's gravity accelerate them so that at perihelion they would need very little propellant to nudge their trajectory to hitch a ride on the visitor and start doing science.

The tic-tac videos are overhyped nonsense. Maybe we're being visited by indistinct blobs from outer space, or maybe the game of telephone being played with the story has hyped up the "unexplainable" part of the story and overshadowed the fact that they were initially shared on the website of a company that specializes in producing video effects.

Are you saying the tic tac videos are fake and everything relating to them is made up?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

yeah that's kind of a weird take given the air force officially acknowledged them, other fly boys have confirmed the comms chatter heard in the vid is genuine, and that former af guy that was apparently involved talked at length about the whole deal on rogan's podcast. all that stuff is fake? I'm not saying it was aliens but it probably wasn't doctored by a sfx company.

i'd love to hear more details though if you have any

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

I've listened to a couple of Avi's interviews and I think he is an academic taking the piss. I don't think he's particularly convinced it is alien tech, I think he thinks there isn't' sufficient evidence and making that particular positive claim is the best way to get attention to the matter. Or he's got brainworms, idk. It seems to be the grand total of the evidence is that from very far away it appears to be thin-ish, wide-ish, shiny, and not warm, and appeared to be light enough to be pushed by the sun (edit: without ejecting mass ala comet). He describes an old ejected rocket booster that moved similarly so a big flat piece of rolled aluminum would be a sensible explanation for the behavior, but then you'd need an explanation on how that sheet of metal gets formed. His claim that if we just happened to see one when we looked, they ought to be pretty common is pretty compelling so hopefully we will get more opportunities to explore this.

I think the part that really broke my brain is when he described their efforts to compare the velocity of the object versus our solar system and other 'local' bodies average velocity. Based on the description it sounds more like we zoomed by it rather than the other way around which is a bit of a :psyduck: thought to me.

GWBBQ posted:

I love the tic tac videos because either way is fascinating. Either it's legit some weird phenomena, and we are finally privy to some reasonably decent evidence, or it's bullshit, in which case we are being exposed to a fascinating disinformation campaign. At this point we have prior intel, washed up punk rockers, newspapers of questionable quality, ancient senators, and the literal military industrial complex getting involved. I find it pretty interesting either way.

Delta-Wye has issued a correction as of 18:33 on Jan 25, 2021

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Hooplah posted:

yeah that's kind of a weird take given the air force officially acknowledged them, other fly boys have confirmed the comms chatter heard in the vid is genuine, and that former af guy that was apparently involved talked at length about the whole deal on rogan's podcast. all that stuff is fake? I'm not saying it was aliens but it probably wasn't doctored by a sfx company.

i'd love to hear more details though if you have any

As far as I can tell, the combination of "first seen on a sfx company website" and "officially acknowledged by the military" is both true, which is hard to wrap my head around. It implies it was leaked years ago w/o fanfair, OR found and given a very convincing backstory.

EDIT: or potentially even both, in the sense that you can frame a guilty man.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Didn't see this mentioned in the thread before -- "Cold Case Hammarskjold" on Hulu https://www.hulu.com/movie/cold-case-hammarskjold-6617066a-8dc8-402d-a8bd-85386c7d12bf.

"Danish director Mads Brügger and Swedish private investigator Göran Bjorkdahl are trying to solve the mysterious death of Dag Hammarskjöld. As their investigation closes in, they discover a crime with even farther reaching consequences."

This is some freaky real-world conspiracy poo poo with assassinations, secret mercenary organizations, and evil scientists. Like MGSV but real. It starts off a little slow and at the halfway point the investigation kind of runs aground, but the second half is pretty wild.

Spoilers: White South Africans were (are?) injecting blacks with the AIDs virus. Oh, and Hammarskjold was murdered.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Delta-Wye posted:

As far as I can tell, the combination of "first seen on a sfx company website" and "officially acknowledged by the military" is both true, which is hard to wrap my head around. It implies it was leaked years ago w/o fanfair, OR found and given a very convincing backstory.

EDIT: or potentially even both, in the sense that you can frame a guilty man.

The 2004 incident was on youtube in like 2007 lol

I actually remember a Mexican airforce ufo video around that time too where they were chasing a tic tac from the cockpit view, I wonder how hard that would be to search for at this point

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Dag Hammarskjold was absolutely assassinated

I think the Epstein thread went over the case also

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Does anyone ever get sad about all of this bullshit?

I mean, it would be SO GODDAMN COOL to live in a world where it's true. Hyper-competent shadowy cabals all over the place, sci-fi microchips that are basically magic, aliens building monuments and leaving cryptic clues, pre-historic lizard people in our midst disguised as humans, secret societies leaving cryptic secret messages to ease their path to world domination, it's all so fun and cool.

What is this boring as poo poo reality? This sea of stupidity and incompetence with chunky tech that needs batteries, maybe aliens but they're all light years away, and lame builder's social clubs where they go for a drink after work? I want conspiracies and aliens and future tech goddammit!

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Reddit/r/aliens is looking for new mods and this is the top response

Random Redditor posted:

Its possible that an alien will take that position, if not, then someone easily controlled. Disclosure is this year.

You can bet that the aliens are already planning on directing the operation to maintain control of and steer dialogue is of importance, no advantage is overlooked, and every opportunity is exploited