Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Dr. Killjoy posted:

all in all Cooper was probably less bigoted than your modern day Republican

Not settin' all that high a bar, there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Are Louise Mensche, Claude Taylor, and Seth Abramson all still tweeting out "Trump is double-secret arrested already 1/604" conspiracies, or did they go down with the ship?

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

can any of the inter dimensional monks itt tell me about meat stations and meat trading. My soul is ready

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What the ever living gently caress is pancreas denial

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

OldTennisCourt posted:

just guessing here that they believe diabetes is made up

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Failson posted:

Are Louise Mensche, Claude Taylor, and Seth Abramson all still tweeting out "Trump is double-secret arrested already 1/604" conspiracies, or did they go down with the ship?
considering how the media still won't shut the gently caress up about this angle in spite of literal written evidence to the contrary, i highly doubt they stopped

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Failson posted:

wonder what eric ‘game theory’ garland is up to...

https://mobile.twitter.com/ericgarland/status/1131950285000192001

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Both q anon and russiagaters had the same reaction to the Mueller report—pretend that everything in it that contradicts their beliefs is actually more proof of the conspiracy. It’s exactly like Presterjane’s model

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Uh I'm pretty sure that iceberg meme is just a joke, kinda like galaxy brain. It's absurdist humor people have been posting for like years.

You can probably find real crazy people who believe a few specific things on there though :shrug:

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Colonel Cancer posted:

Uh I'm pretty sure that iceberg meme is just a joke, kinda like galaxy brain. It's absurdist humor people have been posting for like years.

You can probably find real crazy people who believe a few specific things on there though :shrug:
It's a half joke, half real thing.

The flowchart of the interconnected conspiracy theories, as well as the venn diagram? Both of those are very real.

I like the iceberg meme, as I said, if you needed some sort of roleplaying campaign hook there's a hundred different hilarious ideas in there.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
https://www.lobster-magazine.co.uk

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

OldTennisCourt posted:

I also love the ones where they try to explain that literally every american has like 1 billion dollars in a super secret mega ultra double hidden bank account and all you have to do is write your name in all caps as well your date of birth and these magic words and you can pay your bills with your super secret billion dollar account.
it's called alienated labor :capitalism:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Colonel Cancer posted:

I don't have the time or energy to try to look up each one, but a bunch of them are "real" conspiracies. I found ones I've run across down to level 8 (Timecube and UFOs are atmospheric beings), and maybe level 9 (Eilean Mor / Flannan Isles). I don't see anything I personally consider real beyond level 1, for the record.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah that's the point, it's a bunch of "real" conspiracies (think ufos, skinwalker ranch and bigfeets) between layers and layers of complete gibberish.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

say what you want about anything else but i really do think there's prolly some 120 days of sodom demonic bullshit club under DIA

also what in the gently caress are golf ru

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Golf-class Russian ballistic missile submarines?

The whole Project Azorian / Hughes Glomar ship was designed to recover one (K-129), and there's a bunch of interconnected conspiracy theories around that.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Failson posted:

Abramson has pivoted a bit and says that Israel and Saudi Arabia worked with Russia to win Trump the election.

Since Israel and Saudi Arabia do pour money into US politics to maintain their status as client states, long term I think he's got more of a chance to keep his grift going. He's got a lot of material to spin fake conspiracies out of real corruption.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Azathoth posted:

The whole Project Azorian / Hughes Glomar ship was designed to recover one (K-129), and there's a bunch of interconnected conspiracy theories around that.

This is what I love about conspiracy theorists. The CIA and the DoD spending millions of dollars to clandestinely raise a sunken Soviet submarine from the bottom of the Pacific Ocean with the assistance of Howard Hughes isn't enough of a conspiracy for them.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Anyone else here know about the Vigilant Citizen? They look for evidence in pop culture that the world is run by the Satanic Occult Elite.

Check out their Symbolic Pics of the Month. Whenever any magazine features a photo of someone covering one eye it indicates that that person is submissive to the puppet master elites, you see. (Magazine photographers are so unimaginative it does almost seem like a conspiracy)

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Using elements of the Illuminati that anyone can find in a conspiracy book in a public library in your art? You’re part of the conspiracy.

Using elements of the Illuminati that anyone can find in a cursory google image search? You’re part of the conspiracy.

Using elements of the Illuminati that I invented last week for my blog out of whole cloth in your art? You better believe you’re part of the conspiracy.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Azathoth posted:

Hey this was a pretty dope read, I had never heard of it before. I rather enjoy the specific flavor of mad science entertained and fed on limitless Cold War budgets.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

OldTennisCourt posted:

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

can any of the inter dimensional monks itt tell me about meat stations and meat trading. My soul is ready

i need to unlock the truth of the 2006 volleyball incident

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Azathoth posted:

I don't see anything I personally consider real beyond level 1, for the record.

the PRISM program is a matter of public record. quite well publicized.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

chaleski posted:

I've met two SovCits in my life and they were both young black dudes that I've worked with, which I found interesting because I assumed us whites were the main demographic for conspiracy poo poo. One was pretty adamant about

and added some poo poo about the stock market and the powers that be using our secret accounts for it, also something about the police being a corporation because if you look closely you'll see an LLC on the side of cop cars or some poo poo.

I met a black dude who was nice enough and we were just chatting and mentioned how Zika was an inside job because the vaccine was patented and he said with the casualness of a football game

There’s a heavy sovcit contingent amongst black nationalists but even below that level you just have to hate the man. If anything as a poor black being raised to not snitch and hate the police and authority at large it can be m...not justified but certainly explained. It’s the white boys who mouth off despite having society catered specifically to their whims who are weird anomalies

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

the turd picture has plunged pol into civil war

Lmao the Kent state gun bunny had a pic leaked of her passed out and covered in her own poo poo

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

I met a black dude who was nice enough and we were just chatting and mentioned how Zika was an inside job because the vaccine was patented and he said with the casualness of a football game

There’s a heavy sovcit contingent amongst black nationalists but even below that level you just have to hate the man. If anything as a poor black being raised to not snitch and hate the police and authority at large it can be m...not justified but certainly explained. It’s the white boys who mouth off despite having society catered specifically to their whims who are weird anomalies
a conspiracy is a good way of explaining why you arent successful when you are privileged and have probably had people tell you you're smart your whole life

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Alan Smithee posted:

Lmao the Kent state gun bunny had a pic leaked of her passed out and covered in her own poo poo

Tell me more about the superior glories of western civilization, drunk rear end in a top hat smeared with her own effluvia.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Alan Smithee posted:

perhaps unsurprisingly, she was full of a lot of poo poo

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
An article about the only good SovCits:
Flouting The Law In Nostalgia's Name: Russia's Growing Movement Of 'Soviet Citizens'

quote:

But Vyatkin does not simply miss the Soviet Union -- he actively denies its breakup, and claims to obey only its laws. And now a vibrant cottage industry is helping legitimize his discontent.

Sitting behind the steering wheel of his Mercedes in central Moscow on a recent afternoon, he produces a brand-new Soviet passport. Date of issue: March 9, 2019.
On YouTube, Vyatkin found hundreds of channels peddling conspiracy theories: that Russia's an offshore company registered in Delaware; that President Vladimir Putin was killed in 2012 and replaced by a body double; that the Soviet Union, and its ministries, are being resurrected. Some gave him convincing explanations of the inequality he was witnessing in Russia.

It's interesting how similar these groups sound to US sovereign citizens. There's this strange sense that laws are basically magic and if you say the right spell the legal system can't harm you.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

i mean, they’re half right

i feel like this is what happens when you realize the illusory nature of what we grow up learning are fundamental truths, but then your brain breaks trying to reconcile the fact that reality and truth don’t actually matter, only perceived structures of social power do.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

In April, state TV profiled a Union SSR member in the city of Nizhny Tagil who had refused to pay bills for the past three years. According to her homeowner's association, she owed more than 100,000 rubles ($1,500) and her electricity had been shut off 13 times. Each time, she managed to reactivate it herself. On her door hung a sign reading: "This apartment belongs to the jurisdiction of the U.S.S.R. The laws of the Russian Federation have no legal force here

this woman loving owns.
A real Virgin Sovereign Citizen vs the Chad Soviet Citizen.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Maybe if we just don't pay our hospital bills :commissar:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/26/us/politics/ufo-sightings-navy-pilots.html

New York Times published another UFO story

quote:

WASHINGTON — The strange objects, one of them like a spinning top moving against the wind, appeared almost daily from the summer of 2014 to March 2015, high in the skies over the East Coast. Navy pilots reported to their superiors that the objects had no visible engine or infrared exhaust plumes, but that they could reach 30,000 feet and hypersonic speeds.

“These things would be out there all day,” said Lt. Ryan Graves, an F/A-18 Super Hornet pilot who has been with the Navy for 10 years, and who reported his sightings to the Pentagon and Congress. “Keeping an aircraft in the air requires a significant amount of energy. With the speeds we observed, 12 hours in the air is 11 hours longer than we’d expect.”

In late 2014, a Super Hornet pilot had a near collision with one of the objects, and an official mishap report was filed. Some of the incidents were videotaped, including one taken by a plane’s camera in early 2015 that shows an object zooming over the ocean waves as pilots question what they are watching.

“Wow, what is that, man?” one exclaims. “Look at it fly!”

No one in the Defense Department is saying that the objects were extraterrestrial, and experts emphasize that earthly explanations can generally be found for such incidents. Lieutenant Graves and four other Navy pilots, who said in interviews with The New York Times that they saw the objects in 2014 and 2015 in training maneuvers from Virginia to Florida off the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt, make no assertions of their provenance.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

LonsomeSon posted:

Cool story, every time this style of conspiracy theorist says "reptilians" they mean "jews."

this is Icke's territory and he loves, absolutely loves to talk about taking ayahuasca with a shaman to come to this conclusion

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

You don't actually think they spend $1.5 trillion on the F-35, do you?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

counterpoint: it’s far more believable that the funds get (mis)appropriated for blow and pizza parties than actually building super technology

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Dr. Killjoy posted:

counterpoint: it’s far more believable that the funds get (mis)appropriated for blow and pizza parties than actually building super technology

Pizza parties huh......

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Okay so here's a discussion point I've been curious about that seems to infect a lot of the biggest conspiracy theories:

What is the obsession with making every 'evil' entity involved with child murder/abuse? It seems like every time a theory pops up involving high level government evil acts or a secret society they are always implicated in these horrific accusations of child abuse. Why is that? Is it just "hmmm how do I make them seem evil..."?

I know we have actual clear cases of abuse in the church and other cases, but it just seems like every single new conspiracy has some form of abuse attached to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

OldTennisCourt posted:

Okay so here's a discussion point I've been curious about that seems to infect a lot of the biggest conspiracy theories:

What is the obsession with making every 'evil' entity involved with child murder/abuse? It seems like every time a theory pops up involving high level government evil acts or a secret society they are always implicated in these horrific accusations of child abuse. Why is that? Is it just "hmmm how do I make them seem evil..."?

I know we have actual clear cases of abuse in the church and other cases, but it just seems like every single new conspiracy has some form of abuse attached to it.

It's because the people who believe in this poo poo are all pedophiles and they think "ok if I had unlimited power what would I do"?