Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Eat This Glob posted:

jesus christ. can you explain why in like a sentence other than "lol they're dumb as poo poo"

From my understanding it's literally because the fda said not to drink bleach so therefore bleach must be fine to drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Azathoth posted:

I hate that I know this, but it's crazier and dumber than that. Here goes...

It's typically known under the acronym MMS, most of the reports I've seen lately use Miracle Mineral Solution, but I've seen Master Mineral Solution, and Miracle Mineral Supplement as well. I'll just call it MMS for convenience.

At the most basic level, it's taking way too much chlorine dioxide, a chemical used quite frequently in water purification. At a very low level, it's perfectly safe and is a common ingredient in those tablets that hikers and campers will use to be able to safely drink creek water.

MMS got its start sometime prior to 2006 in the same communities that promote phone AIDS and cancer cures and who use the word "toxins" a lot, without ever clarifying what a toxin actually is.

Now, to understand why someone would drink bleach, literally poo poo their guts out, then recommend others do the same, it's important to understand their idea of what toxins do, and how they work.

See, what a toxin is is always quite vague, but it's commonly accepted that they build up in the body and must be physically expelled. Thus, any product that makes the user puke up their guts or poo poo them out is actually seen as a good thing, because that's supposed to be your body cleansing itself.

The most recent iterations of MMS that I've seen look like it's caught on as an autism "cure", so it's heavily tied up in the antivax homeopathic antiscience subculture. It's pretty much the same crowd that was pushing heavy metal chelation as an autism "cure" a while ago.

Given that shady supplements have been a right wing staple for a while now, so it shouldn't be a surprise that outright quackery is proliferating too

God I totally forgot about the bleach "cure" for autism. I remember seeing people posting pictures of the "parasites" their children passed. :nms: it was the lining of their children's stomachs and intestines

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
An article about the only good SovCits:
Flouting The Law In Nostalgia's Name: Russia's Growing Movement Of 'Soviet Citizens'

quote:

But Vyatkin does not simply miss the Soviet Union -- he actively denies its breakup, and claims to obey only its laws. And now a vibrant cottage industry is helping legitimize his discontent.

Sitting behind the steering wheel of his Mercedes in central Moscow on a recent afternoon, he produces a brand-new Soviet passport. Date of issue: March 9, 2019.
On YouTube, Vyatkin found hundreds of channels peddling conspiracy theories: that Russia's an offshore company registered in Delaware; that President Vladimir Putin was killed in 2012 and replaced by a body double; that the Soviet Union, and its ministries, are being resurrected. Some gave him convincing explanations of the inequality he was witnessing in Russia.

It's interesting how similar these groups sound to US sovereign citizens. There's this strange sense that laws are basically magic and if you say the right spell the legal system can't harm you.