Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

larper
Apr 9, 2019
I'm an explorer. My entire life, I've been driven by the impulse to take the back route, the debris-strewn alley, the hole in the chainlink that forms a passage between here and there that most walk right past.

Natürlich, I have always been drawn to the subject of Fences in my photography. A fence forms a barrier between here and there - a stockade carrying the artifice of separation between you and what lies beyond. A fence can be emblematic of claims to dominion over an area - a subtle way of saying This is mine - and you're not allowed in. Photographing fences, then, allows us to enter these spaces visually, subverting the builder's intentions, and to form a discussion between the interior and exterior that becomes formed.

Post your favorite photographs of fences in here - yours, or someone else's. Here's a few I'd like to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Oops, forgot to credit. First photo is unknown - found it on a photo thread on SA. Rest are mine.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

MrBlandAverage posted:

This one is my favorite because it so easily subverts the traditionally held notion that fences are an effective means of control over space. The plastic chair on the ground is the fallen throne of he (because of course it's a he) that would reign over his dominion.

EDIT: The use of found imagery serves to remind us that copyright law, like fences, is ineffectual at preventing artistic expression, despite the wishes of those who stand to gain from controlling it.

I think you've captured a bit of why I like that one. Also, I really didn't mean anything by posting it without credit. If the original creator here speaks up I'll gladly edit in a photo credit :)

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Realize my photos of fences probably aren't the most inspiring ones ever taken :cheeky: Here's a few that I really enjoy.

Marion Belanger

Mitch Epstein

Robert Adams

Barbara Bosworth

Ansel Adams

My favorite is the Barbara Bosworth one, even though it sorta contradicts what I'm saying in the OP.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

MrBlandAverage posted:

Stephen Shore, New York, New York, 1974, stereo slide

Ooh

larper
Apr 9, 2019

RangerScum posted:

[/url]Skyline by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Really like these, especially this one. It's delightfully absurd

larper
Apr 9, 2019
A couple from the LARPchives, from most to least recent:

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Really like the last two. Make the thread!

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Krispy Wafer posted:

You’ve got straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, crooked line, and a bunch more straight lines. It’s scratching something in my brain and I like it.

Good phtoography is visual asmr

larper
Apr 9, 2019
I just want to say I am glad I made this thread. Really fantastic stuff so far. Keep it up yall.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Wow. Its rare to see so much death and decay compressed into one picture - the ceaseless erosion and rise of our oceans, the rotting bridge, the abandoned railroad tracks reminding of us a bygone age of optimism and trust in the systems of capitalism we now see in their twilight years. I really like it.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Nob Hill, Albuquerque.

A no-mans' land, a home to no life other than black widows and the odd wandering coyote or houseless person seeking respite for the night. Walking through the nexus of gentrification in South Albuquerque, I was drawn to this little street's deceptively normal appearance on the map and its wild nature only feet from manicured lawns and trendy renovated homes.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Megabound posted:

How tall must a fence be before it becomes a wall?

What about the dual nature of gates? Part fence part, part door. An unlocked yet closed gate does not impede intrusion but dissuade as much as an imposing fence.

The dual nature of them is an interesting angle. Explore it.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

larper
Apr 9, 2019

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Nice! I've always been obsessed with plants/trees growing around fences IF you couldn't tell :) There's this tree down the street from my work that has a short section of a wrought iron fence that looks like it's a few decades old. Not the best photo, I should try again https://www.instagram.com/p/B0Otu8on-8W/

larper
Apr 9, 2019

The Xkdc Larper posted:

Nice! I've always been obsessed with plants/trees growing around fences IF you couldn't tell :) There's this tree down the street from my work that has a short section of a wrought iron fence that looks like it's a few decades old. Not the best photo, I should try again https://www.instagram.com/p/B0Otu8on-8W/

A good one spotted a week ago https://www.flickr.com/photos/kjelgaard/48865682422/sizes/o/

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Ratón NM

larper
Apr 9, 2019

larper
Apr 9, 2019
A Sometimes Brutal Place.

Full series in the Art thread in the Pretentious Hipster Irony Zone.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Excellent picture, I really like the way the picture is "flat" in terms of the objects' arrangement within the frame - there is virtually no background or foreground - but the natural interplay of light and shadow introduces additional depth. It takes skill to use light to one's advantage so well.

Please consider cross-posting this one in the Art thread in PHIZ: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3052537

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Did you use a flash?

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Megabound posted:

A considerate fence

Lovely.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

bobmarleysghost posted:

Yea that was flashed

Daytime flash, for the win.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

I love this

larper
Apr 9, 2019

larper
Apr 9, 2019

This picture speaks to me

larper
Apr 9, 2019

KaBob posted:

Full disclosure on a few things here, folks. I do actually know my way around a camera and editing. The gate pic was an experiment of sorts showing the extremes in Luminar AI if you throw every option and slider at a photo. Yes, it was intentionally overcooked. The sky isn't even real, that can now be faked in, the flare is fake, haze was added, etc. It was a throwaway photo from a year ago that wasn't in focus and as a case study in being able to turn a crap shot into a salvageable shot I started messing with it. Once I learned that you can literally paint a new scene in Luminar I went nuts trying to make a photo that actually looked painted. I wanted to see what I could pull out of a photo that I normally would delete. So yes, overcooked but for a purpose.

The Kodak 120 was shot on a $15 plastic holga in a series where I was learning not only to shoot film for the first time, but on a janky throwaway camera that falls apart when you try to load film.

You all didn't know that background, but I'm saddened that as artists we are tearing others down instead of building them up.

Dude stooop. If something looks like crap youre going to get made fun of.

larper
Apr 9, 2019
I went to Pittsburgh. two Fencepix I am particularly happy with:

larper
Apr 9, 2019

tk posted:

This one is for all the hardcore fence freaks out there. Here is a shot of almost every fence that I passed on my walk today.

I did really phone it in for a couple dozen of these. A few nice ones though.

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

1000 more pix

For the love of god please make these timg so the other ones dont get crowded out

larper
Apr 9, 2019

My favorites from the past two pages. Great stuff!!

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Twenties Superstar posted:

just aout and about doday

love this one

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Great stuff you all, I havent shot much at all since I began graducate school last year but I'm ready to get back in the fence photo game as soon as things settle down.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

cool, second one's kind of psychedelic, there's a confusion going on with what's near and middle ground, which I always get a kick out of

larper
Apr 9, 2019

also cool

larper
Apr 9, 2019

love the patterns in this one

larper
Apr 9, 2019

bobmarleysghost posted:

thanks, i liked the repetition as well

Where is it? Looks like a national border for how overbuilt it is

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Some pix I took during my weekend in NY for the PHIZ meetup

The last one isn't my most successful picture, I wish I had taken it with a longer lens from higher up. My phiz bud "misc" pointed out that the plastic fences are sort of a skeumorph, I like how that played with the fake flowers, the leaf-like finials and whatnot.

larper fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 10, 2022

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Please post in the phiz art thread (Solemn promise not to make fun of you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Here is a picture of a fence I took recetnly. I would upload the picture to this website, but I have forgotten how.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0CHXSYOlcc/