Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

As soon as Linda Hamilton had the cliche stoic heroic badass entrance my eyes rolled to the top of their sockets. Things went downhill from there. This came off as a poor man's Age of Ultron trailer, complete with dramatic slowly sung song in the background.

Just let the franchise die already. It's amazing how badly they gently caress up what was basically a perfect and pretty simple formula from T2. It's not about quantity of flashy CGI, it's about making the ones that exist to be impactful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Part of the reason I think TSCC is so good is it develops on this theme in the first two films:

T1: Terminator as enemy
T2: Terminator as protector
TSCC: Terminator as ally/friend/family

Meanwhile, the other films are like...

T3: Terminator as protector and enemy.
T4: Terminator as human.
T5: What TSCC did, but badly.
T6: Mackenzie Davis isn't a Terminator, IDK?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

iamsosmrt posted:

Just let the franchise die already. It's amazing how badly they gently caress up what was basically a perfect and pretty simple formula from T2. It's not about quantity of flashy CGI, it's about making the ones that exist to be impactful.

They never have to let it die. Every time someone goes back in time it creates another timeline.

1. First skynet is made > first war with humans > humans somehow win > skynet sends a terminator 1 back in time > humans send Kyle Reese.
2. Terminator 1 shows up to kill Sarah Conner > Kyle and Sarah defeat the terminator > skynet still gets made from the left over parts > skynet vs humans war > humans win > skynet sends terminator 2 back in time > humans send terminator 1 back in time
3. Terminator 2 shows up to kill John Conner > Gang defeats terminator 2 > skynet still gets made > skynet vs humans war > humans win > skynet sends lady terminator back in time > humans sends terminator 1 again for box office draw
4. Lady terminator shows up to kill John Conner's lieutenants > Finds John Conner for reasons, questionable reasons > Gang defeats lady terminator > skynet still gets made > terminator salvation happens and it is basically just a retelling how skynet is gonna be defeated > skynet is defeated > Genisys starts when them sending people back in time > gently caress Genisys is confusing as gently caress with the extra time travel that happens. I think this goes through 2 different time lines in changes.

Then they have arnold show up now in the movie so all bets are off where they are jumping off from. Basically the series can be rebooted forever.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 27, 2019

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Tenzarin posted:

How was he a reverse terminator? He was just a terminator that thought he was human. This time the terminator thinks that they are human. Last time the terminator thought they were human too?

I suppose you're right, but he was a machine with a human brain and human heart. That was a better concept than the Genisys John Connor-bot which was just a CGI cloud of robot particles.

Salvation could have been marginally cooler if they went ahead with the original idea where John Connor dies to the fresh-off-the-line Arnie, and Markus skins Connor or something like that to assume his identity, becoming the scarred savior in the T2 flash-forward.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 27, 2019

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

iamsosmrt posted:

Agree. This trailer already condemns this movie to failure. Nothing looks real, and no one looks like they're in danger. Just as boring and dull as staring into a wall. Why even bother?

G-III fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 27, 2019

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
This looks like a Fast & Furious movie with any charisma completely drained from it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Donnerberg posted:

They tried that in Salvation with Markus the reverse terminator, motorbike terminators and building sized killbots. Underwhelming stuff. They might as well just stick to what works and make something other than a 2 hour video game cutscene. Like Firstborn said, a new horror movie would be nice. It Follows got a lot of praise, and that was basically Terminator 1. The best parts of T2 are all the high tension scenes where the T-1000 just won't loving stop too.

I don't really consider the bikes or giant mecha "Terminators" The first two were pretty clear that Terminators were infiltration/Assassin units and all the other things were just killer robots. I'm saying come up with some cool infiltration tactics. A dog that's a terminator, a child, one that wears the corpses of resistance members, just something besides the first two.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Grendels Dad posted:

I actually like that. You can't replicate Arnold and actually shouldn't try if your original pitch is "infiltration", let the subsequent models look dorkier and dorkier. Like, have a scene where somehow Future Skynet observes present day America and decide how its shapeshifter's basic look is going to be, and it turns out it's that dork.

I wanna see some fat terminators huffing and puffing around 2019 USA

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

935 posted:

I wanna see some fat terminators huffing and puffing around 2019 USA

This is probably already a Mad TV sketch with Frank Caliendo

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Honestly, if they're going to keep treating this franchise like the movie version of Weekend at Bernie's, they should really just go ahead and make a complete reboot. The timeline poo poo is a complete mess and the post T-1000 designs are unconvincing and boring. Plus the more over-the-top the action is, the harder it is to believe it's from the same universe (multiverse?) of the original duology.

I'm not sure if there's a director with a reputation for grounded, serious, and reverent takes on action/sci-fi/horror, but they'd have it to give to that person to make it their own, and more importantly, to give it proper TLC to work as a new thing. Retire Arnie, Linda and everyone else associated with the originals. No more fan service. I don't ever want to hear "I'll be back" or "Come with me if you want to live" again outside of the originals (to be fair, I don't think these appeared in the Dark Fate trailer). The more attempts to exploit the originals I see, the sadder I grow about T2's legacy as it's absolutely one of my favorite movies of all time.

It's like watching some old sports hero grow into an embarrassment in their later years when you wish you could remember them just in their glory.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hell bring in the T-1000000 from the Universal Studios show. Make it canon, I dare you cowards

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Just make it tense and have it end on a downer note and it should be fine.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

iamsosmrt posted:

It's like watching some old sports hero grow into an embarrassment in their later years when you wish you could remember them just in their glory.

cast hulk hogan as a terminator.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

cast hulk hogan as a terminator.

Skynet sending a machine back in time to eliminate John Connor, a black man who'll dare to have an interracial relationship with a privileged white woman in the future.

Coming this Summer: Terminator in the Hood.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

galagazombie posted:

I don't really consider the bikes or giant mecha "Terminators" The first two were pretty clear that Terminators were infiltration/Assassin units and all the other things were just killer robots. I'm saying come up with some cool infiltration tactics. A dog that's a terminator, a child, one that wears the corpses of resistance members, just something besides the first two.

That's called Screamers.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hell bring in the T-1000000 from the Universal Studios show. Make it canon, I dare you cowards

I think they closed that ride so it doesn't count anymore.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Azubah posted:

I think they closed that ride so it doesn't count anymore.

Arguably it's more canon than any of the post-T2 films since Cameron and the main cast were all involved

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
God, that trailer loving sucked.

Looked like they were going for some kind of "Fury Road" angle or something and whiffed bad on it. I laughed out loud when I saw Linda Hamilton and Arnold answering the screen door.

Now that I think about it, it's not an entirely horrible idea to get George Miller to direct and have a Mad Max style "terminators chasing humans" type of thing in the spirit of the first two, weaving through deserts, forests and cities.

This is gonna suck bad and tbh I'd rather have a another stab at an Alien movie as long as we're gonna dry hump a franchise. Recalculating time lines and all that poo poo is exhausting.

Just get back to the spirit of the (2) good films in the franchise and have weird robots that can't be killed and will not stop ever relentlessly hunting overpowered humans. Christ, have the person being hunted not knowing wtf is going on for a change and just freaking right the gently caress out.

This looks awful.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If only they can make it as good as Indian Terminator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIJoxLY9w78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsRgtaS70WA

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

galagazombie posted:

this happens in the movie Screamers: you have both a lost child and a wounded soldier as infiltrator robots.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

banned from Starbucks posted:

Skynet goes too far and models its last assassin robot after modern day goons in both appearance and personality. It never leaves the house and john connor dies peacefully of old age at 97.

This explains why one of the new Terminators looks like Fragmaster.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Firstborn posted:

Would be cool to do another horror Terminator, I think.

My dream scenario is still one that goes into the serial killer sort of territory that was more emphasized in T1's script but to have the Terminator played by the Rock with the typical gregarious, motivational persona people love about him but with Terminator 1's grittier look and atmosphere happening around it. Like I think that would go around into creepy as hell territory.

iamsosmrt posted:

I'm not sure if there's a director with a reputation for grounded, serious, and reverent takes on action/sci-fi/horror, but they'd have it to give to that person to make it their own, and more importantly, to give it proper TLC to work as a new thing. Retire Arnie, Linda and everyone else associated with the originals. No more fan service. I don't ever want to hear "I'll be back" or "Come with me if you want to live" again outside of the originals (to be fair, I don't think these appeared in the Dark Fate trailer). The more attempts to exploit the originals I see, the sadder I grow about T2's legacy as it's absolutely one of my favorite movies of all time.

I would give a kidney for George Miller's take on the series.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Arguably it's more canon than any of the post-T2 films since Cameron and the main cast were all involved

I feel like some of the video games are cannon for this reason too if they have some official involvement like voice overs and certain imagery and stuff in-game beyond "we got the license." Like the T2 arcade game IIRC all of that stuff in the first half of the game and the "silverfish" and smaller drone things are in the novelization (maybe even in T1's? I can't remember), and it doesn't really conflict with anything since it's basically "John Connor and the resistance completely re-program a Terminator while completely fuckin' ownin Skynet and then send Good Arnold back time."

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 29, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Constant time travel means it's a really low barrier to entry to just name everything canonical. Every single movie and comic and game and ride all happened, the ones that didn't go well happened in some other time line that is gone now.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Constant time travel means it's a really low barrier to entry to just name everything canonical. Every single movie and comic and game and ride all happened, the ones that didn't go well happened in some other time line that is gone now.

In other words, why give a gently caress about any two consecutive entries into the canon? Like, what's even the use of a canon if that is your way to treat it?

"Oh don't worry, it's just timeline #446313 where Sarah Connor and T800 had a half-machine baby, it's still canon!"

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Tenzarin posted:

Then they have arnold show up now in the movie so all bets are off where they are jumping off from. Basically the series can be rebooted forever.

I think I saw somewhere that apparently Arnold is human in this and ends up being the person that Skynet bases their physical design on?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SUNKOS posted:

I think I saw somewhere that apparently Arnold is human in this and ends up being the person that Skynet bases their physical design on?

So, Sgt. Candy?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

SUNKOS posted:

That was already a dumb deleted scene from War of the Machines. Also, I have to say, Dark Fate is a really stupid name.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kayFrIR-Qfw

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Grendels Dad posted:

In other words, why give a gently caress about any two consecutive entries into the canon? Like, what's even the use of a canon if that is your way to treat it?

"Oh don't worry, it's just timeline #446313 where Sarah Connor and T800 had a half-machine baby, it's still canon!"

yeah, basically literally that. Never expect anything terminator to ever be "non canonical" and at some point some movie will have a scene where the villain is talking in front of a bunch of monitors showing all the different timelines so there can be a thread on reddit pointing out that the one in the top right is from a japanese cereal commercial or something.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Donnerberg posted:

I suppose you're right, but he was a machine with a human brain and human heart. That was a better concept than the Genisys John Connor-bot which was just a CGI cloud of robot particles.

Salvation could have been marginally cooler if they went ahead with the original idea where John Connor dies to the fresh-off-the-line Arnie, and Markus skins Connor or something like that to assume his identity, becoming the scarred savior in the T2 flash-forward.

I hate that they changed this ending to "Marcus literally gives his heart to John Connor because he's a good boy after all". It would have been an even better ending twist than the third one to have John Connor just be a dead guy's name and face on a robot. The story I've heard is that they reshot it because of internet backlash, but I could easily buy that Christian Bale had a hand in it, too.

Bale's ego was a big part of why that movie is a mess. The original script had the story heavily focused on Marcus, with Connor being a minor character just kind of hanging out on a sub talking on the radio for the most part. They approached Bale to play Marcus, but he was adamant that if he was in the movie he needed to play John Connor. The studio shrugged and hired him, at which point he began demanding the script be rewritten to give John Connor a bigger role.

Wasn't there also a ditched ending where they break into Skynet then find out it's built a utopian city for a select group of humans because it figured out that a nuclear culling was the only way to save humanity? That sounded dumb as hell.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think that Salvation could have been decent because there's some good ideas in there, it's a shame they screwed up. I liked the idea of seeing a future where John doesn't know what the hell to do and just has a vague idea of what's coming because of his childhood. It was a clever take and the human not knowing he was a machine was good as well. There was the potential for a good movie in there somewhere.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Wild T posted:

Wasn't there also a ditched ending where they break into Skynet then find out it's built a utopian city for a select group of humans because it figured out that a nuclear culling was the only way to save humanity?

There's at least hints in the movie that Skynet is serving a limited number of elite humans, with glimpses of silhouettes in the background looking down on the human resistance members.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I unironically love this scene and it's better than anything else in that movie.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sir Kodiak posted:

There's at least hints in the movie that Skynet is serving a limited number of elite humans, with glimpses of silhouettes in the background looking down on the human resistance members.

That's an interesting "What if" of a scenario whereby Skynet sends back more than what the Conners encounter in the films and they remain completely oblivious to that fact the entire time, as Skynet seeks out alternative targets with the intent to strike a deal of sorts and they end up complying. Would make Sarah's rant against Dyson in T2 more poignant, as well.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

SUNKOS posted:

I think that Salvation could have been decent because there's some good ideas in there, it's a shame they screwed up. I liked the idea of seeing a future where John doesn't know what the hell to do and just has a vague idea of what's coming because of his childhood. It was a clever take and the human not knowing he was a machine was good as well. There was the potential for a good movie in there somewhere.

The entire movie just felt too... Clean?

The future shown in the first two films was dirty, bleak and perpetually night. You really got the sense of what Reese was saying about humans only being able to move outside their tunnels at night, and even then they're constantly at risk of being killed by perpetually patrolling tanks, aircraft and robots. Most of their equipment looked scrapped-together - stolen plasma guns, technicals and improvised explosives. It felt like desperate guerilla warfare against an overwhelmingly powerful enemy and it made John Connor seem even more heroic for being able to win the war.

In this movie the humans are flying around in complex aircraft and fighting out in the open in broad daylight. Instead of practical but advanced robots, Skynet has silly robot snakes and motorcycles and a giant Transformer that acts like a War of the Worlds tripod. They all feel like toys from a Terminator Saturday morning cartoon*. Even when the T-800 is introduced it gets destroyed so quickly that it doesn't feel like something that would turn the tide of the war by itself. Most of all, instead of an alien and inscrutable computer, they gave Skynet a face and have it monologue to one of its soldiers in a way that makes no sense for an advanced networked AI.

*Why did this never happen, anyway?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah, that stuff made me cringe as well. I felt like Salvation took place much earlier than the scenes we saw of the future in T1 & T2 however. I think Salvation had Skynet just starting to manufacture the Terminators we know? Whereas in the T1 & T2 flashback scenes they were everywhere and so I presumed that Salvation was taking place before the war really started building up and the survivors came together to fight. I imagine there was probably a plan for some kind of sequel that showed that future after everything that happened but who knows. The motorbikes and big mechs were lame and I forgot the face thing entirely. I do remember Kyle Reese being a kid however and in the T1 & T2 flashbacks he's a grown man so Salvation was aiming for before the war really kicked off, I think, with humans scavenging and disorganized and Skynet still preparing an army. I think they were probably going for a Mad Max vibe? Totally hosed it, though.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tart Kitty posted:

This wouldn't even be on anyone's radar if Hamilton wasn't coming back for it.

I'm going to this film only for her. Linda Hamilton just owns. If they kill her off in this, I hope it's done dramatically well.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

SUNKOS posted:

I do remember Kyle Reese being a kid however

Anton Yelchin was hands-down too good for that movie. He did a great job of moving and speaking like Michael Biehn in the original. He seemed half-feral.

It's a shame the machines got revenge on him in real life.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

SUNKOS posted:

Salvation's biggest strength was the series was finally set in the Future War which has always been where the series could finally move forward. Especially with regards to clearing up exactly what was the situation with Skynet and the Resistance prior to the Terminators being sent back in time (T1 and T2 kind of contradicted themselves on little details there and was a source of debate amongst fans if I recall).

Yeah, it didn't quite happen and I really have no expectations for Dark Fate except for seeing what Linda Hamilton and James Cameron can do with what they are given. I don't even buy the "It's a direct sequel to T2!" because literally every, single, drat entry thus far (including the TV show which was actually really good) has said the same thing only to have it all scrapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Jorge Garcia as a fat 2019 Terminator but he moves like Schwarzenegger or Patrick did and he cuts open his belly in the beginning to take out a bunch of weapons (then in act 3 when you think he's down he whips out like Wolverine-style guns)