Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem with every Terminator movie since 2 is that they've felt like completely soulless cash grabs, just trading off the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just like Aliens. James Cameron makes movies too good!

Combine the two.... Aliens vs Terminator!!!!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

The problem with every Terminator movie since 2 is that they've felt like completely soulless cash grabs, just trading off the name.

This but for every movie since the first.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Just like Aliens. James Cameron makes movies too good!

Combine the two.... Aliens vs Terminator!!!!

I'm pretty sure this is a Dark Horse comic.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

how can anyone hate this movie

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Adlai Stevenson posted:

That wasnt even in the movie.

But the fan cut that takes out all the silly parts is actually the best fan cut of any movie I've ever seen and makes the movie halfway decent (and a pretty tight film).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

This is like schlock heaven.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Adlai Stevenson posted:

The best part of the movie isn't in the actual movie.

Terminator 3, everyone.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Darko posted:

AceOfFlames posted:

The best part of the movie isn't in the actual movie.

Terminator 3, everyone.

but if you ignore that point you'll see that I'm right

I'll still go to bat for the ending

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I agree that the ending is pretty great.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The ending surprised me when I saw it and elevated the theatrical cut to mediocre.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The best thing about the ending is that the movie's over.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Is the T3 ending the one where nothing they do can stop Judgment Day?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

if they picked up after that ending sequels would have been way better

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

magiccarpet posted:

if they picked up after that ending sequels would have been way better

They did. It's called Terminator Salvation. They made it super boring about a future war computer virus. And not a purely about a future war.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Sir Kodiak posted:

This but for every movie since the first.

I agree somewhat, in that T2 is literally just T1 redone as action instead of horror. Both movies start with warping into alleys, a chase through a mall, road chase and confrontation in parking garage, a shootout with police, extended vehicle chase where halfway through the Terminator gets a big rig that crashes into a factory, finally ending with the villain dying due to heavy industrial equipment.

T2 is pretty much just a reconstruction of T1, in some cases with nearly identical shots. It just happens to be masterfully done.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Narzack posted:

Is the T3 ending the one where nothing they do can stop Judgment Day?

Yes. Specifically they arrive at the top secret bunker where Skynet's core was supposedly located and there's nothing there: both Kate's dad and the T-800 tricked them into going there to ride out Judgement Day because Skynet doesn't have a core: Skynet is a completely decentralized system whose software was embedded in every device ever connected to the Internet, and thus impossible to destroy. It's great because it plays with how technology evolved since the first two films in a way that helps the story.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 2, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I do not know why but suddenly the image of Obama being the Terminator chasing down the heroes popped into my head

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Trailer looked bad. The action looks like it has zero stakes and everything is cgi. Just looks boring

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^Looks god awful^^^

Goreld posted:

I agree somewhat, in that T2 is literally just T1 redone as action instead of horror. Both movies start with warping into alleys, a chase through a mall, road chase and confrontation in parking garage, a shootout with police, extended vehicle chase where halfway through the Terminator gets a big rig that crashes into a factory, finally ending with the villain dying due to heavy industrial equipment.

T2 is pretty much just a reconstruction of T1, in some cases with nearly identical shots. It just happens to be masterfully done.

I never thought of it that way but you're kind of right. I think T2 is to T1 as Aliens is to Alien.

Hardly an original observation, I know, but one I think is essential to why these are both one of the few movie franchises to get the (immediate) sequels right. It doesn't happen that often and think it speaks to Cameron's strength as a film maker to a certain degree.

Maybe Avatar 2 will be OK? Cameron has directed 2 of my favorite movie sequels of all time.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I'm holding out for James Cameron's Abysses, where Ed Harris leads a squad of underwater commandos in exterminating the eldritch aliens at the bottom of the sea.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They could do a cross over with aqua man and he could fight the tidal waves.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Wild T posted:

I'm holding out for James Cameron's Abysses, where Ed Harris leads a squad of underwater commandos in exterminating the eldritch aliens at the bottom of the sea.

So, then, would True Lies be the awesome sequel to the more stalkerish True Lie?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Darko posted:

But the fan cut that takes out all the silly parts is actually the best fan cut of any movie I've ever seen and makes the movie halfway decent (and a pretty tight film).

I can't remember who said it here, but it was in the lead up to Genysis coming out, that one of Cameron's abilities as a director is knowing exactly when to throttle off on a joke. There's some good gags in T2, but he always stops just short of goofiness, and tends to tie the joke to the scene and character. It's a very fine distinction, but Cameron has a nose for it that Mostow didn't.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I hated this joke so much.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Narzack posted:

Parody movies were strong at the time. T3 skipped the middle man and made a parody of itself inside itself.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Elton John: Terminator is a movie I'd watch

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Elton John: Terminator is a movie I'd watch

We've got to Burn Down This Mission if you want to stay alive.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Narzack posted:

Ironically, I think it doesn't work because it doesn't go far enough. There's no reason for the Terminator to take them, and, in turn, there's no reason for him to switch them. Give him a reason to take them, and have him wear them without comment or focus right up until they get broken or something. Essentially, play the goofy joke straight, and I think it works.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I feel like the best Terminator movie would just be No Country For Old Men but at the end they subtly hint he was the Terminator.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"no we promise this time it's gonna be good james cameron is back" as though he didn't support the horseshit that was Genisys

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Remember, he also thought AvP was great

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

I can't remember who said it here, but it was in the lead up to Genysis coming out, that one of Cameron's abilities as a director is knowing exactly when to throttle off on a joke. There's some good gags in T2, but he always stops just short of goofiness, and tends to tie the joke to the scene and character. It's a very fine distinction, but Cameron has a nose for it that Mostow didn't.

Yeah, I liked when John was trying to get it to smile and it looked really creepy, and the way it picked up the baby and stared at it like it was an alien. It was funny but also wasn't out of place and just fit well with the narrative overall and somehow perfectly balanced between being creepy and amusing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

Yeah, I liked when John was trying to get it to smile and it looked really creepy, and the way it picked up the baby and stared at it like it was an alien. It was funny but also wasn't out of place and just fit well with the narrative overall and somehow perfectly balanced between being creepy and amusing.

That's exactly what I mean. Both scenes are good and funny, but both flow out of the scene and the characters as we already understand them.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Snowman_McK posted:

That's exactly what I mean. Both scenes are good and funny, but both flow out of the scene and the characters as we already understand them.

I always get a laugh out of the scene with
"Jesus! You were going to kill that guy!"
"Of course; I'm a Terminator."

It's goofy but totally in-character for this essentially mindless killing machine that has just been told to "take care of these guys". And the joke goes into actual character development for the Terminator and especially John, who moments ago was thrilled about having this insanely powerful murdertoy at his disposal, and now realises that holy poo poo, this is actually a huge responsibility and I have to be careful with it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's goofy but totally in-character for this essentially mindless killing machine that has just been told to "take care of these guys". And the joke goes into actual character development for the Terminator and especially John, who moments ago was thrilled about having this insanely powerful murdertoy at his disposal, and now realises that holy poo poo, this is actually a huge responsibility and I have to be careful with it.

It also leads into the next scene where the Terminator shoots someone.

"What the hell are you doing?!"

"He'll live."

The fact that the Terminators are sentient killing machines who don't really desire to be human yet can change and grow is one of the best parts of the mythos. It's something the TV series explores, the idea that, no matter what, a Terminator is a killing machine. On some level, it wants to kill. Not out of malice or anything, but just because that's what they were made to do - it's what they are. That "Of course" line is right on that.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Narzack posted:

He said it was dumb until he realized that PR is a thing and walked it back like he does with everything else.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Quote-Unquote posted:

One thing that really makes that scene work is the booming gunshot that kinda jars you out of joke mode and instantly into "oh poo poo this is actually serious". The sound work on all the guns in Terminator 2 was really top notch.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

One thing that really makes that scene work is the booming gunshot that kinda jars you out of joke mode and instantly into "oh poo poo this is actually serious". The sound work on all the guns in Terminator 2 was really top notch.

You think so? I always felt the gunshots sounded pretty muted and/or didn't sound correct for the firearm. The mall shootout is a good example of this, the T-1000's Beretta has a weird high pitched sound and Arnold's shotgun is overloud, but it's all for effect rather than reality. The elevator fight at the mental hospital also has some pretty dodgy sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Narzack posted:

Cameron has done this with every Terminator project he hasn't been involved in: Prior to release, he goes all "Yeah, I've seen it, it's really true to the spirit of the franchise and they did a great job."

Then a month after the turd drops, he reverses course and says, "I have no loving idea what they were trying to do."