Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Going to start things off with what may be an unconventional forum/thread - the SA-mart thread selling Roman coins:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884740&perpage=40&noseen=1

Because what’s better than watching guys scheme their whole lives to become Emperor only to get murdered 6 months later. Just one long conga line of failed ambition.

Technical notes, I’m not happy with my color palette here. This was done using only blue, yellow, and red in varying opacities like old 3 color printing processes. I nailed some hues (skin) and failed miserably at others (piss colored linens).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I will not be posting because I've been working an impossible amount of overtime due to bad weather. However! I am wondering if we want to start a new thread, given that we discussed some slight changes to our very relaxed rules? I don't want to be the OP, but I did want to see what y'all think.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I don't have any preference whether it be in a new thread or this one but I think we should go forward with those changes.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Hi thread! Phone posting on a beach, finally, so I would like to declare
KRISPY WAFER
Our winner. Critiques to follow when i have a keyboard again.
Thankyou all for ARTDOME 21 and see you on the other side!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
In high school my newspaper class teacher entered my work in a local arts festival and I won 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in the cartooning category. Then, as now, I suspect I was the only entry.

But a win’s a win. I’d like to thank everyone who didn’t submit for making this possible. I’ll have a new prompt by tomorrow.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to the critique on what I consider to be my weakest submission all year that I almost submitted as a non-judged entry. But until then, let’s get everyone primed for the first prompt of 2022:

New Year, new me, new you. In keeping with the theme the next Art Dome will be babies. Baby what is up to you. Can be puppies, kittens, humans, or cuddly aliens. Let’s keep it simple and make the deadline January 15th.

Baby kawaii sand worms will not be accepted in order to give other submissions a chance at winning.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I'll give it a shot. In.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Yes, I have an idea already!

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I'm in!

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Its a baby bee. A Babee.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Baby J.

the sketch was better but I am submitting anyway.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Keetron posted:

the sketch was better but I am submitting anyway.

This is an issue I keep hitting with my own stuff. My quick scrappy line drawings always end up being more satisfying, somehow, than the final pictures. It's really frustrating- anyone else got the same problem?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

For myself its often that the quicker stuff feels a little better because I just worry about it less in the first place. Free yourself from the tyranny of expectation.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Who won so we can get a new dome up?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Hopefully it's not too late for this!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I've added my interpretation of the new thread rules to the OP. If they would like to rewrite it that's fine by me!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I will post winners tomorrow. I’d do it today but after 22 months of successfully avoiding COVID I finally got nabbed.

Now Im going back to bed for another 12 hours.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Okay, let's do this. First things first, Sedgr and his babees.

Okay, love the pun, but what is that on the Babee's head? Is it a shower cap? Is Sedgr from Finland or some place where babies are put in dresser drawers and dressed up all quirky like? Artistically it's cute. I like the style. If I had a complaint, it'd be the colors. You've got a bee. Like one of the most colorful insects around and it's entirely in black and white except for the pacifier, baby hair net, and inexplicably the face - which is slightly browner white.

Now to Keetron.

It's an established baby IP, so 500 points deducted, but it's also on physical media so add 1000 back. But those crimson baby eyes are boring holes in my soul so minus 700.

And bringing up the rear is void_server.

I like the use of negative space. It reminds me of little one-off comics in those Highlights magazines we'd get in grade school. And much like most of my time in grade school, I have no idea what's going on. Are the bears now fighting? And what's their relation? It's called 'Just Cubs', but one bear looks like he should probably be hanging out with bears his own age.

Winner is Keetron because Keetron is the only contestant that knows the value of color. Good game all.

I'm going back to bed.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

And bringing up the rear is void_server.

I like the use of negative space. It reminds me of little one-off comics in those Highlights magazines we'd get in grade school. And much like most of my time in grade school, I have no idea what's going on. Are the bears now fighting? And what's their relation? It's called 'Just Cubs', but one bear looks like he should probably be hanging out with bears his own age.

Winner is Keetron because Keetron is the only contestant that knows the value of color. Good game all.

I'm going back to bed.
lol, thanks for the critique! One is a wolf cub and the other is a bear cub, and the parents are rambling back and forth.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Thanks. The pink thing on its head is a bonnet. I was imagining a bit of bubblegum wrapper or something. Its colored that way because I liked it that way, it was an intentional choice.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Thank you for the crits and for the win! I neglected to think up a proper challenge so my instant spun of the moment fever dream will have to do.

This dome is about dwarves and specifically about "Dwarves that did not make the cut." Remember how Snow white had seven? Well, there were many, many more and not all of them were suitable for a children's movie. I'd like you to art me one (or more) of those rejects and name them.
So yeah, Art me some Dwarves Rejected by Disney!
Deadline is the 30th of January, 23:59 CET so I can judge ya'll on the 31st and we can try this two a month thing.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

there's still 10 days, I can get something in for this

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's a genius prompt. Hope I can come up with something for it.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Keetron posted:

Thank you for the crits and for the win! I neglected to think up a proper challenge so my instant spun of the moment fever dream will have to do.

This dome is about dwarves and specifically about "Dwarves that did not make the cut." Remember how Snow white had seven? Well, there were many, many more and not all of them were suitable for a children's movie. I'd like you to art me one (or more) of those rejects and name them.
So yeah, Art me some Dwarves Rejected by Disney!
Deadline is the 30th of January, 23:59 CET so I can judge ya'll on the 31st and we can try this two a month thing.
loving brilliant. I already have a sketch I stared last night

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Ted. I have concerns about the lineup for "Snow White & the Nine Dwarves." Big fan of Sleepy, Grouchy, &etc! Love your work as always. But Spiky and Screamy- you know, they don't match the tone we want for the film. Otherwise- brilliant work, of course! Keep it up!
-Walt, Feb. 1936

Ted. I trust your judgement, I really do. You've pulled off some miracles in the past. But Screamy's extended dream sequence presents too great a technical challenge for our artists. The bit with the "unseeing eyes" will be a little dark for the kids in the audience, don't you think? Again, please, reconsider Spiky & Screamy's role in our film. Besides all that- excellent work. We're on to a winner.
-Walt, Mar. 1936

Ted. I already apologised. You know I value your role here at Disney studios. But we make family films, gosh darnit, and Spiky's extended montage of accidental impalings of various forest creatures is not what families want. No matter how "whacky" those impalings happen to be. Plus, Screamy's forty-minute monologue quoting extensively from the works of Nietzsche has caused all kinds of headaches for our copyright people. Get rid of Spiky and Screamy.
-Walt, Apr. 1936

Ted. This will be my final memo before I turn the matter over to my lawyers, and to your doctor. I want Spiky and Screamy out of my movie. More than that, I want them out of my studio. Two of our storyboard artists have been hospitalised and the ladies in the typing pool are refusing to come back until I can promise they'll never have to type a "puzzle box" scene with Spiky ever again. Now, I admire your initiative in hiring various transients to do the scripts and storyboards for you; but frankly these people lack the artistic competence and basic hygiene standards required for Disney Studio employees. Furthermore, their seances are upsetting the other staff.
Get rid of Spiky and Screamy, or you're fired.
-Walt, May 1936

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

No, not Sleepy, Not Dopey... I told you his name was "Smokey"...

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 30, 2022

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

sigma 6 posted:

this is AMAAAAZIIIINGGGGG

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Thank you! Was afraid I was a day late and a dollar short.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

mister disney, i have one more applicant to show you. i wasn't really sure whether it was a good idea, and frankly i don't know how proud i am to have brought him in, but he's a bit of a libertine and could definitely push this film in a bold new direction. uh, well, here he is.

mildly nsfw?

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
There weren't enough Disney reject Dwarfs so here's a scribble:

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Truman Peyote posted:

mister disney, i have one more applicant to show you. i wasn't really sure whether it was a good idea, and frankly i don't know how proud i am to have brought him in, but he's a bit of a libertine and could definitely push this film in a bold new direction. uh, well, here he is.

mildly nsfw?

lmao

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
A Prince is kind of like a manager, right?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Dome is closed, Krispy Wafer is only in because I forgot to call it. Thank you for your submission, you will be judged in a few hours.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Krispy Wafer posted:

This is deeply unsettling.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

[Interesting memo chain]

I like this, the memo chain more so as it is sort of believable that Walt would allow his staff a lot of creative freedom but the line is drawn (haha) at the blood rituals.
Spikey and Screamy are well rendered, clean lines and proper shading. However the background could use work and it is unclear to me where the light source is coming from. In general I would expect Spikey and Screamy to be a lot more in the dark, the contrast of happy colors and dark subject matter could be an artistic choice that would gain from taking it further. I can recommend Jordan Persegati on Youtube as an interesting watch for horror artists.

sigma 6 posted:

I saw this coming to life in the discord and it was so hard not to cheer you on but know that I did, in silence, at home. This dwarf walked into the auditioning room and was rejected even before he met the committee as he could not fill in the application form without having to lie at "Did you ever fail a drug test?"
Smokey has a wyvern pet with a long ratty tail, a big ol blunt and drink, completed with a wardrobe malfunction. The line work fits Smokey and Smokey fits your style perfectly. So far the good news.
Now for the bad news. Your cropping could use work OR you dramatically ran out of page so you salvaged what could be salvaged but the whole feels very cramped. This could be a stylistic decision but I'd prefer a tad more room, even if there would be nothing more on the page, right now stuff is cut off mid-form. That said, maybe I want more of Smokey and this is my way to get that?

Truman Peyote posted:

mildly nsfw?

You had me laughing at "push this film in a bold new direction" and I did not even look at the picture yet.
The pixar brows, the scruffy pubes and armpit hair paired with the male symbol necklace tells me that Sleeping Beauty would need a lawyer and an STD test ready while filming. The implication, ALL the implications are horrible and fantastic. Like Tree Bucket, you went for the Disney style with clear lines and bright colors. You grounded the dwarf solidly using a subtle ground shading.
My recommendations to improve this piece is to pay more attention to line weight and to apply object shading, right now it is rather flat which is initially hard to notice due to all the round forms and the attention drawing pubes. (no? only with me? oh.) No matter how much I dislike his presentation style, Jazza has video's about this.

Idle Amalgam posted:

There weren't enough Disney reject Dwarfs so here's a scribble:

Scene of two dwarves in black suits walking down the path in the woods in early morning
"I tell you, we have to take care of this lady."
"What did you mean, exactly, by taking care of her?"
"Well, she is trying to mess with the boss's wife, we need to make sure she doesn't do it again."
"That does not answer my question."
"We go there, talk to her, take the suitcase and leave. Easy as that."
"What if she is sleeping?"
"We wake her up, is this your first time around or something?"
Somehow this would work if combined with "Get Shorty" but I think Jules and Vincent in Hollywood would be too much.
The only thing telling me this is a dwarf is the nose and he is not happy being rejected. I think you should draw many more scribbles in pen, they are very nice.
Improvements, yes, all over the place, but where to start on a scribble. Let's say that if you did two more and then a final piece, you'd have an easy time in these domes.

Krispy Wafer posted:

This one is a problem to me on many levels. It was late but I did not call it. I am very much missing some sort of joke here as I have no idea what a manager has to do with it. It is giving me a very strong copy/paste in photoshop feel and while this can be an art form, this seems two stills combined. I would not know where to start crit a photoshopped artwork. Will you ever forgive me for not giving this the attention it deserves or at least explain the joke to me?

Now for the judgment.
I see good point in all pieces, I see possibilities for improvement in all pieces. In the end it really was between Smokey and Fleshy both for their own reasons. I want to encourage Tree Bucket to go crazier in the expression of the very good ideas to ensure a future win.

This domes winner is sigma 6 with Smokey!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

thanks keetron, and congrats sigma 6! smokey really is dope as hell.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It’s Karen Dwarf asking for a manager/Prince. I agree the context isn’t the clearest. I spent most of my time trying to color match the palette and deal with how weirdly out of focus Snow White is when you zoom in.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Keetron: Thanks for the critique! I wasn't quite finished making the wallet chain so I cropped it. You know... cropping out unfinished business and all that. The shield was also a last minute addition for a similar reason.

I have since finished the wallet chain but I was already paranoid about missing the deadline again. What was posted is a composite but the drawing is pretty drat near done.

For next round:

"Sleepless Monsters"

Somewhat inspired by Squidtamer DA's post in the daily drawing thread.

... and maybe some of my own experiences.

Poltergeists, ghosts, and crying babies (and their parents) - all would fit the criteria.

Not to mention insomniacs...

and of course speed freaks.

Two weeks would make it due on the 14th but really 16th since this wasn't announced until the 2nd.

Pour a fresh pot of coffee and get started.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 6, 2022

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I am having some ideas, hope they develop into something good else you will have to judge something bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I too am hoping i can come up with something for this prompt!