Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
lmao

https://twitter.com/farbandish/status/1134485622352240640

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

people complain that facial recognition doesnt work on minorities but then when you try to do it all of a sudden everyone starts crying genocide.

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
worthless people tend to complain a lot

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

rotor posted:

For real though anyone doing research in ML or machine vision should stop. The downsides of these technologies significantly outweigh the benefits.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

For real though anyone doing research in ML or machine vision should stop. The downsides of these technologies significantly outweigh the benefits.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

rotor posted:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
but we can't have a machine vision gap with the Chinese

the first country to detect dissidence in a baby wins

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rotor posted:

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

The Management posted:

for those of you who haven’t worked with machine learning, here’s how it’s works:

* you take a bunch of pictures of shoes or horses or whatever the gently caress you want to recognize.
* then reduce those images to some ridiculous low resolution thing
* then you cram those images through some matrices until you get some matrix that happens to tell you horse or not horse.
* nobody knows why this matrix is horse, but it seems to work so you’re like, cool, I made a horse model.

now you take your horse model and set out to detect some horses. you take some pics and run them through your model and it’s all here a horse, there a horse, no horse there. but then there’s one picture of a horse and your model says no, not horse. and you have no idea why it’s not horse. the matrix is just a bunch of 8-bit values, it doesn’t even look like a horse. the answer, which you will never discover, is that the picture has a reflection of the sun in the water under the horse, which is not where the sun goes and your model couldn’t deal with that.

and then you realize that your model doesn’t understand poo poo, it hasn’t learned anything. it is incapable of learning, it’s a loving filter.

lmao yeah

animist
Aug 28, 2018
does anybody know anything about tsetlin machines? are they more or less than the average amount of nonsense

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I know this

“Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind.”

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
yeah this is the ml thread so i wouldn't worry about that being a problem

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
I got my phd doing some cool neurophysiology stuff with ~one weird kernel trick~ and now do healthcare analytics for insurance nonsense for people who hired me on the basis of being a wizard, which I most assuredly never claimed.

Now I'm stuck repeating myself -- "If the predictors have no correlation with the response, no amount of ml in the world will help us" to be met with the response "Well this is the only data we have". Then I spend a week trying to demonstrate clearly that this won't in fact work. "What if you trim X?" "What if you put the answer in the features?"

Weeks later "Well lets look at this other data source" (that I could have used weeks earlier)

Review time: "you need to work faster"

Likewise,

Manager on phone with OCR vendor:

vendor: "what kind of accuracy do you need"
manager: "100%"

Welp.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

jupyter is really cool

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
is "healthcare analytics for insurance nonsense" just another way of saying "killing people more profitably"?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

is "healthcare analytics for insurance nonsense" just another way of saying "killing people more profitably"?

yeah, specifically finding cases of diseases where the "long tail" of expenses are so high they kill out the average pooling

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i'd judge but i do lovely stuff for work without doing ml and without even the excuse of deece figgies plus i'm dead inside so whatever

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
It's more like fraud and 'billing error' detection in my particular case. After my postdoc job fell through I applied for jobs letting people die more efficiently, amongst other things, but went with the only employer that called me back.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

numbing my pain with addiction
extending my "life" with a nurse

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
There’s lots of books of how to use ML to tackle loads of problems but is there a good one that talks about which kind of problems are adequate and which are not ?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ZZZorcerer posted:

There’s lots of books of how to use ML to tackle loads of problems but is there a good one that talks about which kind of problems are adequate and which are not ?

not sure about the word "adequate" here, but i think the answer is still: no, because we don't really know. there may be some literature on rules of thumb, but overall the most sophisticated current practice is throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

an ethics course or two

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I’ll try to get in the masters program at the CS department in my Uni later this year but another option that I was thinking was the Philosophy dept to try Law/Ethics in Computer/AI/ML :shobon:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Bloody posted:

an ethics course or two

realtalk any decent ML book starts out with at least some of the reasoning and ethics behind using it, and then how it can be applicable

most of it is making sure your data overfits is good

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Bloody posted:

an ethics course or two

is ethics a growth market?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

some flavor of engineering ethics course(s) should be mandatory for all stem degrees

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i doubt it'd have much on an effect. anyone who doesn't care about the impact of their work right now or cares but can't afford to do anything about it wouldn't be doing things differently because of a mandatory ethics 101 class in college

wouldn't do anything for sociopath executives either

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
I went to grad school out of an intense curiosity and a desire to study the most pressing problems we face. Unfortunately those jobs are in short supply and, failing the profit motive, slow to grow or replenish.

Ethics on the individual level are well and good, but in an otherwise unorganized society I'm not sure what effect one should expect. I have high-demand skills and want to escape poverty forever, so I took a job. I'm looking for an out, but this is where I'm at now.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

can't expect organized views and action from unknowing individuals though.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
all the ethics courses in the world won't matter when each individual is just some alienated contributor to a greater machine, and who can rationalize away their own involvement in anything horrible which may result from their work

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
they told me metal gear Rex was going to be used to *shoot down* nuclear missiles

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Kudaros posted:

I went to grad school out of an intense curiosity and a desire to study the most pressing problems we face. Unfortunately those jobs are in short supply and, failing the profit motive, slow to grow or replenish.

Ethics on the individual level are well and good, but in an otherwise unorganized society I'm not sure what effect one should expect. I have high-demand skills and want to escape poverty forever, so I took a job. I'm looking for an out, but this is where I'm at now.

lancemantis posted:

all the ethics courses in the world won't matter when each individual is just some alienated contributor to a greater machine, and who can rationalize away their own involvement in anything horrible which may result from their work

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
mankind harnessing fire was a mistake

mankind was a mistake

Lonely Wolf
Jan 20, 2003

Will hawk false idols for heaps and heaps of dough.
just make a NN that outputs "ethical" or "not ethical", problem solved

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Lonely Wolf posted:

with a small perturbation of the input I can get it to say everything is ethical. so much more efficient than ethics boards!

Lonely Wolf
Jan 20, 2003

animist posted:

with a small perturbation of the input I can get it to say everything is ethical. so much more efficient than ethics boards!

ethical

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Lonely Wolf posted:

public static String DetermineEthicalness(object input)
{
return "ethical";
}

Lonely Wolf
Jan 20, 2003

You stole my implementation and that's . . . ethical. DAMMIT

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
code:
if ethical:
	return not ethical
else:
	return ethical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopstick Dystopia