Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

animist posted:

okay, so, first thing you gotta understand is what people mean by "deep neural networks". a neural network is made up of "neurons", which are functions of weighted sums. thats it. here's a "neuron":

code:
W = [10, 300, -.5]

def car_price(wheel_size, engine_horsepower, miles_driven):
  total = wheel_size * W[0] + engine_horsepower * W[1] + miles_driven * W[2]

return (total if total > 0 else 0)
an ML person would say this is a good analogy for a biological neuron, and draw it like this:

inputs get multiplied by weights ([10, 300, -.5]), then summed, and passed through a nonlinear function. the function we're using is called ReLU, defined relu(x) = (x if x > 0 else 0). you might think thats a lovely function but it's super common in deep learning for some loving reason

of course, neural network people hate labeling things, so theyd actually draw it like this:

which looks more convincing.

now, what if you don't know what weights to use? that's easy. pick some random weights. then, steal a dataset of car specs + prices from somewhere. pick a random car and feed its specs to your function. your function will return a price, which will be wrong. so, tweak your weights to make them more correct. this is easy to do, because you know how much the output will change if you change your weights. if the car you're looking at has a wheel size of 10, changing W[0] by 1.5 will change the output by 15. capische? so just tweak all your weights a little so your function's output is a little closer to the actual price.

now do this a bazillion times. if you're lucky, your network will now give good estimates for car prices. if it doesn't, you can always add more neurons:

the later ones are sums of the earlier ones, see. what do the ones in the middle mean? idk, but now your network can express more functions. the training algorithm still works the same way, divide-and-conquer style.

but that's childs play. thats barely any neurons at all. that's the sort of poo poo you'd see in a neural network paper from the 1980s. weve got gpus now. you can throw as many neurons as you want around, in giant 3d blocks of numbers, each made up of the sums of other giant 3d blocks of numbers. just go hogwild:

these are all state-of-the-art networks. if you take a long time and learn a bazillion tricks to train them correctly, you can get these to give pretty good accuracies for benchmark problems. they were all discovered by, basically, loving around. there's barely any theoretical basis for any of this. machine learning!

this post got fuckoff long so im not gonna even post about interpretability. just think about picking some numbers from the middle of those giant networks and trying to decide if they're racist. now imagine your career hinging on getting good results from that. welcome to my grad program

hey now posting convnets is cheating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
also i feel bad for recognizing some of those from illustrations alone

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
it's my world now fortunately/unfortunately

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tbh that can be said of pretty much any technology

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

if I were asked to make an “object recognizer,” I wouldn’t train one huge network on a million images of the object I want to recognize and allow steganography to break everything, I’d train a large number of smaller networks on different characteristics to recognize, and use additional separate networks to determine confidence according to recognitions, etc. finally arriving at the one confidence value

This is actually basically Fast R-CNN - except object classification was done by SVMs instead of NNs

really all the convnet did for that is feature encoding

it’s called fast rcnn but it’s pretty slow compared to the approaches that supplanted it

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
oh and also fast rcnn was doing that all given that you were already giving it proposals for where objects in the image were

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well resnet is more of a particular convnet architecture, like the densenet illustration at the end of that earlier post, than a particular machine vision objective

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
like pre-convnet image classification and object detection (which are overlapping tasks really) was all about using something like sift vectors, which was pretty much taking an image and encoding it into this vector where each dimension represented some particular human chosen function output and you hoped that the vectors were distinct enough that images of different things would encode distinctly but that also the encoding was general/robust enough that changes in pose or scale/distance wouldn’t prevent things from matching up

so an objective like object detection was a bunch of sliding various windows of subsections of the image and searching your database of sift vectors to see if anything matched

and of course there was research into how to partition and search through that database of sift vectors faster etc

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

rchon posted:

don't ask me about deploying mask r-cnn models to production systems with no quantifiable validation metrics or model versioning

bonus if it’s just the Facebook repo

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

suffix posted:

should i be blindly copying code i don't understand from random repositories

I mean you’re doing machine learning aren’t you?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
all the ethics courses in the world won't matter when each individual is just some alienated contributor to a greater machine, and who can rationalize away their own involvement in anything horrible which may result from their work

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
It’s pretty hard to predict if anything you might work on could be weaponized

Actually it’s pretty easy: it most likely will be

Plenty of people working for google/amazon/whatever probably honestly didn’t think their work would be picked up by the MIC but it was

Plenty of people doing research not even funded by one of the ARPAs might catch their interest out of the blue later and suddenly they’re pumping money into it

Chemists and life science folks probably didn’t expect chemical and biological weapons to come out of their stuff

Hell some of the early nuclear weapons folks probably didn’t realize how insane that would become

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

animist posted:

lol

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/613630/training-a-single-ai-model-can-emit-as-much-carbon-as-five-cars-in-their-lifetimes/

"To get a better handle on what the full development pipeline might look like in terms of carbon footprint, Strubell and her colleagues used a model they’d produced in a previous paper as a case study. They found that the process of building and testing a final paper-worthy model required training 4,789 models over a six-month period. Converted to CO2 equivalent, it emitted more than 78,000 pounds and is likely representative of typical work in the field."

that's the lifetime emissions of 5 cars btw

the other day while something I was working on wasn’t working I joked about having the GPUs just producing heat instead of anything useful

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I mean, the fact that the features picked up aren't necessarily the same ones a human might consciously choose is a pretty well known phenomenon in machine vision; the amusing bit being that people sometimes use this to get huffy about things when people sometimes unconsciously or consciously also do ridiculous things and we have much better sensors in some ways

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Winkle-Daddy posted:

oh look, the handy work of Summly, the "AI News Summarizing Product" built by some kids that Marissa gave like a billion dollars to. Working at yahoo under marissa was the fuckin worst. "guys, guys, don't you see how valuable tumblr is???"

if by “built by some kids” you mean farmed out building an application around some algorithms licensed from SRI

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
you think open sores has issues thanks to a culture of tribal knowledge and gatekeeping, then you discover people’s trash ML repos that are horribly broken out of the box

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

Ray Phan, a senior computer-vision and deep-learning engineer at Hover, a 3D software startup based in San Francisco, told The Register that the lectures were confusing and contained mistakes. The online projects were too simplistic to be useful in the real world, and Raval was absent and unsupportive.

Ah yes the senior AI engineer that needs to sign up for an intro to AI course

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

animist posted:

there's a bunch of "black box attacks" that work this way, only seeing inputs and outputs

often you don't even need those, though, because adversarial attacks usually transfer between networks. so you can just train your own model, and as long as it's even vaguely similar to whatever you're attacking, images that trick it will probably also trick your target

it also helps that transfer learning is common in vision so you can expect whatever you’re dealing with to be some fine tuned head on an imagenet base

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

gently caress me for recognizing this

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

animist posted:

update: instead of learning, it is drifting about filter feeding in the abyssal zone. probably for the best

don’t snipe my new convnet arch

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
there are so many new DSLs masquerading as languages I just don’t keep track

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I mean it’s true

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

power botton posted:

if you want to do math in a dumb dead language use fortran

which is exactly why there are python-FORTRAN bindings

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Some of our computational physicists still use FORTRAN

And these are people like my age

Living FORTRAN physics libraries

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I can’t tell if things are less horny now or different horny

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

A NN classifier for fizz buzz but unironically

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
statisticians amirite?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah by the Stanford numbering scheme that's a graduate class

e:fb

quote:

Numbering System

The first digit of a CS course number indicates its general level of difficulty:

0-99 service course for non-technical majors
100-199 other service courses, basic undergraduate
200-299 advanced undergraduate/beginning graduate
300-399 advanced graduate
400-499 experimental
500-599 graduate seminars
The ten's digit indicates the area of Computer Science it addresses:

00-09 Introductory, miscellaneous
10-19 Hardware Systems
20-29 Artificial Language
30-39 Numerical Analysis
40-49 Software Systems
50-59 Mathematical Foundations of Computing
60-69 Analysis of Algorithms
70-79 Computational Biology and Interdisciplinary Topics
90-99 Independent Study and Practicum

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

ah well then it's probably exactly what it says on the box. "grad students, go make a thing, if you need more information here's a list of papers to read, i'll be writing grants. if you make anything cool i'm putting my name as first author"

don’t give away the sausage factory!!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I remember when my weeder class in my engineering program was 1st semester, freshman year

I still feel like I made the right decision but for the wrong reason

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

DELETE CASCADE posted:

what kind of hosed up PI doesn't let the main grad student on the project be first author? how else will he ever graduate

you're.... you're being facetious right?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
academics is like the mob, credit kicks up to the top and never [graduating | getting tenure | moving on from being a postdoc] shits downhill

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
are you suggesting that the tenured faculty at "elite" institutions are anything but the epitome of humility?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
that’s certainly a good formalization of things

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I remember when I did that last one by accident in college at my student job and got in trouble because we had to claw back and reprint a bunch of reports

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

animist posted:

also tbh if you're trying to understand data I'd reach for visualizations wayyy before ML because ML will just spit black boxes back at you. that's because I like to understand things tho

actually I think you’ll find ml has a lot of trouble with black boxes

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
obviously just shove it into tf-idf vectors :rolleye:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
m8 wtf are you doing

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe