Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kilometres Davis posted:

woah I thought palantir's code was under NDA

the posted example was a product of clean room RE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

animist posted:

update: instead of learning, it is drifting about filter feeding in the abyssal zone. probably for the best

https://youtu.be/ZnHZ6mz440M

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

animist posted:

I don't think most nerds wanna see the *inside* of a tiddy

when you’re desperate you’ll take what you can get

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

I really hope they post lecture notes for that. Applying ML/AI to diseases is hard and I'd love to have pointers on how to do it right.

i wouldn’t hold my breath on getting that from a class some stanford prof threw together in his living room.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sign me up for the experimental artificial language class or maybe the early graduate hardware systems class.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

uuuh tensors thanks :rolleye:

“tenser” said the tensor.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

echinopsis posted:

tell me is MSN microsoft? and and MSN and NBC combine to make MSNBC?

they did but microsoft sold their stake in the network years ago.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

or if not crime rates, kidney stones and urinary tract infections?

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMms2004740

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I blame Disney posted:

The computer knows how to draw furries now, humanity is lost

https://i.imgur.com/yi8DG0T.mp4
are you a bad enough dude to make this your zoom background?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

you have some Ideas about what's "good."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

"im not an algorithm! im not an algorithm!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a multilayer perceptron

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

amazing

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Might need a bigger training set, or a different algorithm, or a fundamental rethinking.

big johnny cash energy

Schadenboner posted:

Like, if someone's name is listed as "Alex Smith" then maybe just, like, call them "Alex"? I'm legit confused in what context algorithmicly figuring out whether "Mr" or "Ms" Smith is more accurate beats just calling them "Alex"?

it’s so you can decide to serve them ads for pink razors or gray razors.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

wtf "the team is working on separating the concepts of name/username/email from gender identity"

youre the ones putting a gender identity on my email in the first place!!!

i suspect they mean “separate” in the same way you do when you talk about distillation - extracting something useful from an aggregate.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

i don't understand how they can use starcraft 2 to train an AI to drive a tank

seems like they used sc2 to teach path finding. big lols at touch screen controls in a loving tank.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

but i still don't understand how you "teach" from that.

do you just, like, have your AI review thousands of examples of starcraft pathfinding behavior where you mark the starting point and destination and obstacles? in that case aren't you just directly ripping off blizzard's algorithm?

do you use it to simulate a real-world battlefield by saying okay, a zergling is a palestinian child and a siege tank is a rocket truck, go figure it out? in that case aren't you both ripping off blizzard and using a really poor representation of your environment, full of biases?

do you decompile the game and customize it to create optimized training materials for your system? in that case, why even start with starcraft?

?

i think it’s that second one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

looking forward to the "Gaza strip 4v4 AP EM ~*ReLo@dEd*~" sc2 custom map

20 minutes no rush

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i always parse that as neuro-linguistic programming when i initially encounter it. thanks stephenson.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

seems like it’s preparing them well to get their resumes past automated filters, if nothing else.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

put this in the cyberpunk thread too

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

what were you expecting, dr. demetri?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

you hate to see it, folks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

racism isn't the only side effect of this relentless focus of appealing to the biases of their users, either

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffFromRegina/status/1307903677290561536

stunningly cursed image.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

my eyes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

does “have lower levels of trust” mean “they should be trusted less” or “they should trust others less” there? i read the vulnerable to exploitation part of it to imply the latter.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

the phrasing "trustworthiness" implies the former

read the article, bottom of page 2. the argument on this statement is a little convoluted, the author is saying that as gdp goes up general societal trust goes up and he’s using trustworthiness ratings of portraits as a proxy for general societal trust.

edit: yeah boy howdy this is kind of junk science and i thought nature was better than this.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeepCapybara/status/1344840846177427457