Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

pointsofdata posted:

(as though you couldn't work out who spent 8 hours at a school and then 3 at a strip club was if you really wanted to)

Look, she’s working her way though Medical School, ok?

:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

eschaton posted:

if I were asked to make an “object recognizer,” I wouldn’t train one huge network on a million images of the object I want to recognize and allow steganography to break everything, I’d train a large number of smaller networks on different characteristics to recognize, and use additional separate networks to determine confidence according to recognitions, etc. finally arriving at the one confidence value

“What if the three blind men and the elephant only it were a good thing?”

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

rotor posted:

For real though anyone doing research in ML or machine vision should stop. The downsides of these technologies significantly outweigh the benefits.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Max Facetime posted:

the other day I was doing recatchpas for google and giving wrong answers as a form of protest against soulless automation

guess what the robot on googles end decided: that I wasn’t being human enough and that me clicking on pictures with my mouse was generating unusual network traffic that the mighty google needed to be protected from

Wish the rest of us could be protected from your unusual network traffic too, OP.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The thing that grinds my gears is how they don't specify what percentage of a square needs to have a traffic light in it before I make a click/no-click decision on teh box.

I mean, is "Click all boxes where >=25/33/50/67/75% of the box's area is filled by a traffic light (or sub-assembly thereof)" really so loving hard?

:mad:

E: Also poor documentation on whether or not pedestrian crossing lights (not signs) attached to traffic lights are to be considered as traffic lights for the purposes of the above.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

fritz posted:

ontology catapults physiology

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

animist posted:

use this as an excuse to build more public transit pls

See, at this point the people forced to take public transit really will be the inferiors of everyone else, though?

Use it as a reason for cuts, really.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
thispopactdoesnotexist.com

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

carry on then posted:

ban white men from tech

I think that's President Obama though?

:ohdear:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

It looks like a pixelated version of the portrait that was in federal buildings?

:shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pinterest Mom posted:

no that's a white guy

president obama was black

It's a picture of President Obama.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I mean, the white race is primarily defined by our various criminal conspiracies and acts so I guess it's good to have a tool that will put investigators on the scent of the most-likely criminal (a white)?

:shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

eschaton posted:

“this white person probably exists and is awful”

In it, voted 5.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Like, ok: so let's play arguendo. Set aside the fact it doesn't seem to loving work (assume that could be fixed): what's the value proposition? What is the path to revenue here?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Like, if someone's name is listed as "Alex Smith" then maybe just, like, call them "Alex"? I'm legit confused in what context algorithmicly figuring out whether "Mr" or "Ms" Smith is more accurate beats just calling them "Alex"?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

hobbesmaster posted:

presumably its just to pick what kind of ads to send them so the stakes are relatively low

Like, I don't "do" marketing or ad-tech or whatever and I have uBlock Origin and PiHole so I don't interact with a lot of ads but It seems like using prior browsing habits might be a smarter way to drive engagement?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It's in front of an aircraft carrier. Because: of course?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Does catte has COVID?

:ohdear:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It seems like nasal swab would be v.difficult to get from catte?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Midjack posted:

read the article, bottom of page 2. the argument on this statement is a little convoluted, the author is saying that as gdp goes up general societal trust goes up and he’s using trustworthiness ratings of portraits as a proxy for general societal trust.

Is this some sort of weird p-hacking thing like where the cup size of Miss America is inversely correlated to the unemployment rate in Wyoming or something?

Like, in what world are "portraits being smiley or frowny" even a variable?

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Imagine having quoted a Randalltweet.

:allears: