Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

what if real AI has been invented dozens of times but the systems all self-terminate microseconds after achieving sentience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

*points at seagull* ai.

come to think of it, the first targeting AI was pigeons wasn’t it?

bf skinner was a weird, weird dude. that said WWII bombing was incredibly inaccurate for the most part so a council of 3 pigeons in the nosecone probably wouldn't have hurt

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 28, 2019

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

every site that sells ads has been doing this forever, like we had a proof of concept when I worked at evite 20 years ago. it wasn’t :sparkles: MaChInE LeArNiNg :sparkles: but it also didn’t think susan was a male name

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

leper khan posted:

I joined the ML group in a non-ML driven org (doing things that aren't ML) and the product people keep asking me for ideas on what we can use ML to solve.

We're overfitting ML to problems. :smith:

this is the entire industry, our whole product group got a "machine learning" mbo for the year

we do financial software, the one thing our clients don't want is unpredictable results, like they pay us millions of dollars to get only exactly what they want

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

britian has always been more open about their contempt for social mobility than the us where our rich people pretend to be from humble beginnings

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sheriffs departments are generally the dumber, meaner version of police which is saying a lot but they typically have lower standards for entry

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this is an utterly perfect response
https://twitter.com/NicDuquette/status/1308910902658334720

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they just can't stop doing phrenology

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

also classical portraits seems like the worst possible training set since they were usually done specifically to make the patron look awesome and their enemies look shady

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

“let’s use a set of images created entirely for the purpose of flattering rich white people to train for trustworthiness”
- a “scientist”

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I retract my previous statement about it being a bad training set now that the author has clarified that the did it specifically to discriminate against poor people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you'd think that 20 years and counting of seo would have taught people the value of manually gaming a "smart" system