Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
you're gonna die suddenly and violently anyway, so it ultimately doesn't matter if it's at the hands of a guy who had a sip of beer 30 minutes ago before driving, or by an idiot neural net programmed by a guy who skimmed a deep learning tutorial a day before the deadline that doesn't understand the concept of "things moving in both space and time"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

return0 posted:

why is clustering some data so hard, it’s 2019 ugh

have you tried adding more bias to your training set

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

is fortran still faster than c for some types of numeric calculations for deeply technical yet tedious reasons?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

dumb serious question. why do we use nonlinear functions instead of linear ones if they're all dumb poo poo like ReLU which seems like it barely works. I guess second question: is there any theoretical basis for why ReLU works at all?

i thought the state of the art with why some activation functions work better than other functions in some cases is essentially :iiam:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

it's a pity that nlp and cv have fallen to the ml gremlins

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

is breast cancer such a popular target because the image sets are large and well-labelled?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

animist posted:

if you're willing to put the time in

found the problem. if neural nets don't give me results easily and with no thought on my part, what's the point??

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

animist posted:

also tbh if you're trying to understand data I'd reach for visualizations wayyy before ML because ML will just spit black boxes back at you. that's because I like to understand things tho

sounds like you don't have the right mindset for doing ml

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

that thing is great at generating white people faces though. top marks there

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

https://twitter.com/futurism/status/1278701098627469317

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

animist posted:

the list of words is from WordNet, which is a linguistic dataset from the 80s. and apparently includes racial slurs??

also lol that apparently the way they made the dataset was just scraping the first page of Google images for every word...

i can only aspire to be as lazy as an ml researcher

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

the end goal is simply "get more funding for the next three years"

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

did he at least look ashamed when he said that

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

yeah it is definitely one of the worst "AI" systems i've seen, as measured by how obvious/natural its responses are. whatever it's fitting to, it clearly isn't what humans use.

john jackson: 99.9% male
jill jackson: 95.8% male

leslie neilsen: 70% female
leslie neilson: 78% male

???

it's baffling how little effort they put into validation. like, they clearly didn't try at all

at least, that's what i'd be saying if this wasn't a clear and obviously viral marketing gimmick designed to draw attention to their product. "look how bad this is!!!" we gleefully yell as we give them clicks

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

training a tank with starcraft AI is some tesla-tier bullshit

Glorgnole posted:

just using the algorithm is the whole point of the exercise, totally independent from how effective, practical, or appropriate it is

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

ah, the trick there is that no one cares about criminals

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

gotta agree with this

Adbot