Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

norp posted:

Them jumping to the defence of boris saying forcing no deal brexit is a great idea was pretty sickening too.

I can only assume they had all read he arsetralian this morning or something.

They read the Australian, and the Daily Tele, and watched Sky News, and watched Sunrise, and The Today Show, and listened to Alan Jones, and Ray Hadley, and Andrew Bolt, and...
And Penny Wong would absolutely lose, if you think she's anywhere to the left of Albanese you're kidding yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/disgraced-senior-cop-avoids-charges-over-offensive-online-posts-20190901-p52mtm.html

quote:

A former senior policeman who made racist and abusive comments online will not face charges, despite the anti-corruption agency recognising his behaviour risked damaging the integrity and confidence of police operations.

quote:

The Age revealed in February last year that then assistant commissioner Guerin used the pseudonym “Vernon Demerest”, a character from the 1970 movie Airport, to post online comments about "cheating dagos", "third world dullards", "Indian and Pakistani peasant[s]" and "jigaboo[s]".
Under a YouTube video about a Somali pirate attack, Demerest posted: "I'm afraid this is what happens when the lash is abolished. The jigaboo runs riot and out of control. The 'boo needs the lash. The 'boo wants the lash. Deep, deep down the 'boo knows the lash provides the governance and stability".

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

norp posted:

Spent father's Day with my family and hey were all talking about how great Morrison is doing.

Death is certain. gently caress the boomers. Etc etc
Given his successors were the utterly appalling NTATA and the completely spineless Turdball not a high bar really. Both the aforementioned are probably without any competition the worst PM and second worst PM in Australian History. Maybe McMahon for equal second worst.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The system works.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Cartoon posted:

Given his successors were the utterly appalling NTATA and the completely spineless Turdball not a high bar really. Both the aforementioned are probably without any competition the worst PM and second worst PM in Australian History. Maybe McMahon for equal second worst.

john howard signed us up for the iraq war and was the architect of the nt intervention but go off i guess

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

ungulateman posted:

john howard signed us up for the iraq war and was the architect of the nt intervention but go off i guess

This is almost as good as people pining for the days of Dubya. Morrison's immigration stance is dogshit, but Howard actually sent people to Iraq, gave us Work Choices, inspired most of the lovely unemployment policies we still have today (although Robodebt and $4/hr intern ships are a mighty strong showing from Morrison/Turnbull), sold off most of the public assets available at the time, including Telstra, trashed education and a whole bunch of other things that still haven't recovered.

Oh yeah, and now it turns out they petitioned the US on behalf of Indonesia to stay out of East Timor, taking a more colonialist stance than the Clinton Administration.

The country may never be what it could have been if it wasn't for John Winston Howard. This mob are horrible cunts but they haven't done anywhere near the amount of lasting structural damage yet.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ungulateman posted:

John Howard did a bunch of stuff most of us in this thread would fundamentally disagree with, but he did a competent job of executing his policy wishes basically up until Workchoices.

Tony Abbott on the other hand was loving incompetent, and all Turnbull achieved was, um.

Actually, what are the policy legacies of the Turnbull era?

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost

Senor Tron posted:

Godawful "NBN"?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ungulateman posted:

Every Australian Prime Minister is the worst Australian Prime Minister.

Except for possibly Bob Hawke.

EDIT: Especially Howard.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sad Wendigo posted:

Godawful "NBN"?

That ship was steered into the icebergs by Abbott, Turnbull just stood at the controls paralysed by fear. Still godawful, but most of the damage Turnbull did was when he was Minister for Communications.

edit: Very on topic, we got HFC NBN connected at our new place on Saturday. As of this moment (less than 48 hours later) the status tool is showing that the connection has already dropped out 64 times. Every time it drops it takes at least 5-10 minutes to come back.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 2, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/PercyKaren/status/1168335528615235584?s=19

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

it would be good if he got loving shivved :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Good.

Let us never hear his name again.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

bell jar posted:

would it though

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Senor Tron posted:

John Howard did a bunch of stuff most of us in this thread would fundamentally disagree with, but he did a competent job of executing his policy wishes basically up until Workchoices.

Tony Abbott on the other hand was loving incompetent, and all Turnbull achieved was, um.

Eichmann was actually just a high performing public servant with a mind for detail

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

unequivocally

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

bell jar posted:

unequivocally

before or after he gets the comfy chair though?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bell jar posted:

bell jar posted:

unequivocally

gently caress off with this poo poo. He's been removed from the community for the protection of the community. That is the appropriate action and that's all that needs to be done regarding him specifically. The *good* thing to happen would be for us to reassess what we are doing as a society about the culture of violence against women.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hooman posted:

gently caress off with this poo poo. He's been removed from the community for the protection of the community. That is the appropriate action and that's all that needs to be done regarding him specifically.

nah tho, i'm okay if this piece of poo poo sits on the bottom of prison hierarchy for 35 years. i don't really have any sympathy for this sadistic gently caress

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Just another lone wolf, I'm glad women are safe now.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

bell jar posted:

nah tho, i'm okay if this piece of poo poo sits on the bottom of prison hierarchy for 35 years. i don't really have any sympathy for this sadistic gently caress

He definitely deserves anything that happens to him in there, however as a society we are responsible for the safety of those we choose to lock up and should be doing our best to ensure that sort of thing doesn't happen to any of them.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

He definitely deserves anything that happens to him in there, however as a society we are responsible for the safety of those we choose to lock up and should be doing our best to ensure that sort of thing doesn't happen to any of them.

i find that i'm generally down with that attitude, but it tends to go away for me when its a brutally violent crime, it tends to really boil my blood when i think of these dudes sitting in relative safety when that's exactly what they took away from the people they hurt. i don't think that people who have committed relatively minor (and can definitely be rehabilitated from) offenses should suffer more than they do by virtue of being in prison, but the idea of all of these people getting the same standard of treatment makes me frustrated in a way i don't think i can explain

it's an emotional response, not a logical one, from me

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

bell jar posted:

i find that i'm generally down with that attitude, but it tends to go away for me when its a brutally violent crime, it tends to really boil my blood when i think of these dudes sitting in relative safety when that's exactly what they took away from the people they hurt. i don't think that people who have committed relatively minor (and can definitely be rehabilitated from) offenses should suffer more than they do by virtue of being in prison, but the idea of all of these people getting the same standard of treatment makes me frustrated in a way i don't think i can explain

it's an emotional response, not a logical one, from me

I totally understand the emotion, but our blood lust going unsated is the price we pay to avoid those things happening to people who don't deserve it.

As one example, baby killers are one of the groups most hated in society, what do you think many at the time of her conviction would have said Lindy Chamberlain deserved?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bell jar posted:

I don't have any sympathy for him. This isn't about sympathy, it's about the fact we have a fallible justice system and as soon as we start accepting or promoting extrajudicial justice against the guilty, we're also apply the same thing to everyone who gets railroaded into jail by corrupt police.

Senor Tron posted:

I totally understand the emotion, but our blood lust going unsated is the price we pay to avoid those things happening to people who don't deserve it.

As one example, baby killers are one of the groups most hated in society, what do you think many at the time of her conviction would have said Lindy Chamberlain deserved?

Yeah. Basically this.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
hey bell jar watch When They See Us

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

on a tangential but not specifically related note, had a good chuckle when i saw this

one set of rules for us, one for them, it couldn't be any more clear

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

yeah, it's hard to draw a line. i just thought it would be worth explaining for some of the goons itt who are beep boop robots and don't understand having responses that aren't underlined by Facts And Logic. people tend to just extrapolate my anger at a specific case or two to the entirety of criminal justice and like, that's not what i'm posting about, and it's not a stance that i'm putting forward. i have no doubts that the incredibly fallible justice system we have is responsible for the incorrect incarceration and punishment of lots of people who didn't deserve it, and that there are a lot of people who have undeniably committed crimes that are walking around free as a bird. it's just hard for my mind to wrap itself around what an arduous ordeal being in prison for 35 years would be, vs even the people currently serving time recognising that this guy isn't welcome in their little hell. it's easier for me to digest the quick and brutal violence over the unending slog of life in prison, and that's a big reason why it's frustrating to see this guy continue to breathe air, relatively unscathed

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Speaking of prison, that’s where Ernest Wong is going.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Anidav posted:

Shoot me with your police magnum revolver, Gridlocked. The mission is over.

They have Glock 17s chambered for .40 S&W now. No one has revolvers anymore Dave this is the 2010s

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bell jar posted:

yeah, it's hard to draw a line. i just thought it would be worth explaining for some of the goons itt who are beep boop robots and don't understand having responses that aren't underlined by Facts And Logic. people tend to just extrapolate my anger at a specific case or two to the entirety of criminal justice and like, that's not what i'm posting about, and it's not a stance that i'm putting forward. i have no doubts that the incredibly fallible justice system we have is responsible for the incorrect incarceration and punishment of lots of people who didn't deserve it, and that there are a lot of people who have undeniably committed crimes that are walking around free as a bird. it's just hard for my mind to wrap itself around what an arduous ordeal being in prison for 35 years would be, vs even the people currently serving time recognising that this guy isn't welcome in their little hell. it's easier for me to digest the quick and brutal violence over the unending slog of life in prison, and that's a big reason why it's frustrating to see this guy continue to breathe air, relatively unscathed

No. your post was bad, your point was bad. I understand the anger but the standard we apply to one has to be standard we apply to all. Don't accuse others of not understanding emotions when they call you out for making bad posts. Especially when you say you have no sympathy for that guy as if to imply that the reason people don't want him stabbed in jail is because they have sympathy for him. Hoping someone gets shivved in jail is toxic as poo poo and plays into a culture that loving condones prison violence.

So basically.

hooman posted:

gently caress off with this poo poo. He's been removed from the community for the protection of the community. That is the appropriate action and that's all that needs to be done regarding him specifically. The *good* thing to happen would be for us to reassess what we are doing as a society about the culture of violence against women.

EDIT: I'm not perfect for this either, I'm sure I've said poo poo about the loathsome sack of poo poo Pell which isn't ok, but we should all actually be trying to be better if we want to address these issues.

EDIT2: Punch all Nazis tho.

hooman fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 2, 2019

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

nah

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

bell jar posted:

aren't you the same guy who said pleading mental illness for murder deserves to get them killed too? youi're a loving nut mate

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

no i'm the guy who said the guy who was sooking about having a sore leg after killing a woman and stabbing another deserved to sit in pain

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
The thread has this conversation every time someone makes a shitpost joke like this and it’s just as empty now as the dozen times before it. When things devolve into this kind of furor over a comment so innocuous But can’t seem to muster the energy to talk about any of the actual news or issues of the day half the time makes it hard to see it as anything other than point scoring on either side

To stop this post itself being just point scoring, lmao at Morrison just outright saying “yeah we just release whatever information we want when it’s convenient for us, gently caress it” about that oz front page this morning

https://twitter.com/murpharoo/status/1168339278318817281

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

bell jar posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/aug/19/sydney-stabbing-suspect-mert-ney-suffering-in-custody-without-medication-lawyer-says

rofl that murdering skidmark is going to contest his clear guilt on grounds of mental illness, and is complaining in jail that his leg hurts :qq: who gives a poo poo

his clear guilt

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i mean, he did that. what is your point?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
you clearly think he is not mentally ill and deserves to be in pain

mate you're cooked

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i never claimed he wasn't mentally ill, he does deserve to be in pain

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Divine Orator posted:

The thread has this conversation every time someone makes a shitpost joke like this and it’s just as empty now as the dozen times before it. When things devolve into this kind of furor over a comment so innocuous But can’t seem to muster the energy to talk about any of the actual news or issues of the day half the time makes it hard to see it as anything other than point scoring on either side

To stop this post itself being just point scoring, lmao at Morrison just outright saying “yeah we just release whatever information we want when it’s convenient for us, gently caress it” about that oz front page this morning

https://twitter.com/murpharoo/status/1168339278318817281

I don't know, every time I go to the guardian and read it, I end up posting here because it's yet another nightmare of poo poo coming out of our politics and government and honestly I feel pretty defeated just reading the news at the moment.

Morrison is stomping all over the idea of an accountable government in this country and the LNP is general has degenerated into simply lying to a cheerleading media who both sides everything into meaningless noise. Labor is complicit in empowering an unaccountable police state. Right wing microparties funnel votes to the LNP by chipping working class voters off Labor with rhetoric about fixing poo poo people care about while voting to gently caress them. While Labor controlled committees come out with poo poo like "postmodernism" being a threat to democracy.

The least I can ask is for people not to be dumb rear end shitheads here. If you don't say "hey, no, this isn't ok" then it's tacit approval of that view. The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

The Divine Orator posted:

It wasn't a joke and it wasn't innocuous.