Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Barnaby getting absolutely poo poo on by Scomo is probably the silver lining of this whole affair.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6041347676001?fbclid=IwAR0392Uvbmdg8EnZKFwumFTWdzRF-fgF3yaSgTaOV3AyPMMsIUCMp79UDys

quote:

Member for New England Barnaby Joyce says Nationals Leader Michael McCormack or Prime Minister Scott Morrison should have called to tell him he was being dumped as drought envoy.

The Nationals MP and former deputy prime minister told Sky News he only discovered the news after seeing reports on social media at the weekend.

‘I think it’s incumbent on leaders to relay that in person, not have people find out via Twitter,' he told Sky News on Monday.

Although the official drought envoy role no longer exists, Mr Joyce says the government needs to keep a strong focus on the drought and the farmers still struggling through the worst of it.

Mr Joyce, who took on the role of drought envoy when Scott Morrison became Prime Minister in August, has vowed to speak out against the government where necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Morrison absolutely hates Barnaby

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

bowmore posted:

Morrison absolutely hates Barnaby

I assume it's because he had that disgustingly public affair and handled everything about as poorly as possible from the PR front, and Morrison is both a happy clapper and an Ad Man so this offends him on every level?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Don Dongington posted:

I assume it's because he had that disgustingly public affair and handled everything about as poorly as possible from the PR front, and Morrison is both a happy clapper and an Ad Man so this offends him on every level?
probably, in Morrisons eyes you should at least try and fake it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I imagine he's also a pain in the arse to work with.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

do you wonder who scott morrison really is? The dad persona is fake as poo poo, but in all likelihood, so is his attack dog DIBP persona.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Synthbuttrange posted:

do you wonder who scott morrison really is? The dad persona is fake as poo poo, but in all likelihood, so is his attack dog DIBP persona.

a shell of a human being with a veneer made of the finest handcrafted artisanal marketing

I truly believe he's his most 'authentic' self when at church and he earnestly believes in the Pentecostal faith

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
SBS has a pretty good thing about Newstart, shame that it will change absolutely nothing.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-feed/i-am-the-bludger-the-politicians-warn-you-about

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/nbn-co-to-trial-its-first-fttn-upgrade-paths-from-june-525756

quote:

NBN Co will begin a trial next month that will see 50 fibre-to-the-node users receive an upgrade to either fibre-to-the-curb (FTTC) or fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP) technology.

The trial is the first under a brand new program of work that NBN Co is calling ‘Change of Access Technology’ or COAT.

lol the NBN isn't even finished, and they're already getting ready to scrap a bunch of those lovely FTTN cabinets :frog:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Recoome posted:

SBS has a pretty good thing about Newstart, shame that it will change absolutely nothing.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-feed/i-am-the-bludger-the-politicians-warn-you-about

Cool but also The Feed is poo poo since Marc Fennall left.

I refuse to accept the concept that Jeanette Francis is good at journalism.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/nbn-co-to-trial-its-first-fttn-upgrade-paths-from-june-525756

lol the NBN isn't even finished, and they're already getting ready to scrap a bunch of those lovely FTTN cabinets :frog:

lmao

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gridlocked posted:

Cool but also The Feed is poo poo since Marc Fennall left.

I refuse to accept the concept that Jeanette Francis is good at journalism.

I feel like it's hard to get the tone right in that kind of woke, irreverant news for the youths. I always thought Mark Fennel was pretty good at it

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Still want to travel back in time and punch everyone that said Turnbull will save the nbn :qq:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

EoinCannon posted:

I feel like it's hard to get the tone right in that kind of woke, irreverant news for the youths. I always thought Mark Fennel was pretty good at it

JanFran just tries way too hard to show how woke and switched on she is to like everything. Also the fact she started refering to herself with the mononym JanFran annoys me, it's not cool enough to be a mononym.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Isn’t her name literally Jan Fran tho?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The NBN was doomed from the start since Howard privatised Telstra. The state paying to upgrade the nation's telecom infrastructure without it owning a statewide telecommunications company was loving dumb. Turnbull certainly made it dumber, but I wouldn't blame him for the NBN being a clusterfuck.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Both the ALP and the LNP share the neoliberal belief that the state should create markets but shouldn't compete in those markets. Which basically means we pay out the nose for infrastructure that private companies get to use for little to no reimbursement.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/may/27/quite-disturbing-south-sudanese-community-questions-jason-woods-move-into-ministry

quote:

South Sudanese Australians have expressed concern at the appointment of the Liberal MP Jason Wood as assistant minister for multicultural affairs, citing his use of divisive “African gangs” rhetoric.
Wood, a former police officer, held the marginal Victorian seat of La Trobe, campaigning on law and order issues including combating “violent youth gangs”, and was promoted in Sunday’s reshuffle.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Dude McAwesome posted:

Isn’t her name literally Jan Fran tho?

I mean it was Janette Francis. She may have actually changed it?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Notice what they're doing here:

quote:

NBN Co said last year it would make FTTC an option under its existing Technology Choice program - where an individual user or a whole area (usually represented by a council) can apply directly to NBN Co to pay their own way to a better access technology.

quote:

Under NBN Select, which is due to launch in July, a retail service provider (RSP) will be able to act on behalf of an end user to order a change in access technology “from the default multi-technology mix technology at a premises to NBN Ethernet /Fibre to the Premises (FTTP).”

They're basically providing a means by which people with the means to pay for it can avoid any of the consequences of their piss poor decision making. Much like healthcare, or schooling, you will no longer be the victim of neoliberalism, provided you can afford to pay your own way.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Change of Access Technology - Scomo Edition

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

They're basically providing a means by which people with the means to pay for it can avoid any of the consequences of their piss poor decision making. Much like healthcare, or schooling, you will no longer be the victim of neoliberalism, provided you can afford to pay your own way.

This is bleak man.

You can have good internet but only if you can afford it. I’m sure this policy won’t unfairly disadvantage low SES folk and be abused/loopholed by the wealthy.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

Ghange Of Access Technology - Scomo Edition

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Gridlocked posted:

JanFran just tries way too hard to show how woke and switched on she is to like everything. Also the fact she started refering to herself with the mononym JanFran annoys me, it's not cool enough to be a mononym.

I don't think she's even that "woke" and switched on, though. Like, she's more so than the average ~media personality~, but sometimes her analysis is a bit off. Like she did one about how women get paid less than men, and she blamed it on women having babies and how men weren't doing as much in the home... Which I'm sure is true, but there's plenty of evidence women get paid less than men for the same job and that's before they've even considered having children, so it's not like skipping the baby-having step or making dudes do their fair share in the home is going to guarantee women fair pay from the get-go.

You know what helps pay equity? Legislation. But nobody wants to talk about that because wringing our hands and pretending we care makes us feel better than forcing employers to treat their staff equally.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lmao Trump is making Japanese Cars exempt from tariffs in exchange for Japan buying F35 Jets

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Anidav posted:

Lmao Trump is making Japanese Cars exempt from tariffs in exchange for Japan buying F35 Jets

We’re buying a bunch of those death traps.

Do we get any sweet trade concessions?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Dude McAwesome posted:

We’re buying a bunch of those death traps.

Do we get any sweet trade concessions?

japanese cars are fine, wtf are you talking abo- ohhhhhh...

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

Don Dongington posted:

whingepool has an entire thread dedicated to people getting 5 figgy quotes to do exactly this with fttp & every now and then theres some shithead wealthy boomer who paid for it getting mad in the papers when their neighbours also got the upgrade for free

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Anidav posted:

are they going to modify them , so they can transform into Robots?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Anidav posted:

The jet that is literally a pyramid scheme

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Stevefin posted:

The jet that is literally a pyramid scheme

The F35 - None of us are as dumb as all of us combined

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Les Affaires posted:

japanese cars are fine, wtf are you talking abo- ohhhhhh...

Haha my exact thoughts.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

froglet posted:

I don't think she's even that "woke" and switched on, though. Like, she's more so than the average ~media personality~, but sometimes her analysis is a bit off. Like she did one about how women get paid less than men, and she blamed it on women having babies and how men weren't doing as much in the home... Which I'm sure is true, but there's plenty of evidence women get paid less than men for the same job and that's before they've even considered having children, so it's not like skipping the baby-having step or making dudes do their fair share in the home is going to guarantee women fair pay from the get-go.

You know what helps pay equity? Legislation. But nobody wants to talk about that because wringing our hands and pretending we care makes us feel better than forcing employers to treat their staff equally.

Yeah you're right that's pretty much her thing. I've just found some of her takes are like slightly off

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

yeah because the FTTN cabinets use really poo poo and expensive components that need constant upkeep while FTTP doesn't need upkeep

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Don Dongington posted:

They'll probably put the collision detectors they put on Telsas on there.

First time someone jumps in front of a train, it calls them a pedophile..

FTFY

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The F-35 isn't quite as bad as people assume.

It's just the victim of a hillariously gamed procurement process and a pretty sketchy rollout, but the F111 killed loads of pilots and cost shitloads more than it was supposed to, and the RAAF apparently loved the poo poo out of it.

It has gotten cheaper as production has ramped up (although we're probably still paying the 2012 pricing for it because Liberals) and it IS notably better than the F18 it's replacing, in terms of range and loiter time. It's still arguably of little use to us but good luck convincing anyone in government not to buy fighter jets.

I'd still rather we didn't buy any. They're probably not going to fall out of the sky, and they are definitely not inferior to anyone else's planes; it's just that if we ever had to use them in anger, we'd never be able to put enough of them into the air to make any difference.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Recoome posted:

Hi please don't blame the staff at centrelink please blame the politicians and at least some of the executive levels thanks

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Harry Potter, seen here waiting by the Hogwarts express.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

NTRabbit posted:

Hi please don't blame the staff at centrelink please blame the politicians and at least some of the executive levels thanks

All of the above can be bad, the difference is in why. With the Centrelink staff it's generally due to burnout compounding other factors that are largely out of their control and not their fault (e.g. poor training, overwork, pressure to get quick results and churn through cases), but there are definitely bad Centrelink staff. I didn't really read that one as blaming Centrelink staff though, unless you're saying in general, which is fair enough.