Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

norp posted:

Controversially he also made a woman the minister for women.

Tony must be rolling in his (political) grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Meanwhile in one of my uni classes we’ve been examining the results of the last IPCC full report.
Conclusion: planet is hosed. May as well get black lung while we wait for death.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

If you haven’t seen the Great Barrier Reef yet, you better hurry up. The Liberal party are doing everything they can to kill it.

quote:

Coalition MP Warren Entsch has backed a plan to bulldoze 2000 hectares of pristine forest near the Great Barrier Reef despite being appointed to a role championing the natural marine wonder.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/coalition-s-reef-advocate-backs-massive-tree-clearing-plan-20190601-p51thy.html

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Lol

quote:

The decision to award a Queen’s birthday honour to a robot sex expert and former far right political candidate is facing a challenge, and is set to trigger broader scrutiny of the Australian honours system at a Senate estimates hearing.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jun/19/queens-birthday-honour-for-robot-sex-expert-adrian-cheok-to-face-challenge

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

In shocking news, liberal politicians trying to secretly change laws for their own personal benefit (haha, who am I kidding, it’s just a normal day in Australia)

quote:

The office of the former environment minister Josh Frydenberg canvassed whether he had the power to water down federal protections for critically endangered grasslands and if it could be kept secret, following lobbying from a fellow minister, Angus Taylor.

Taylor and his brother have substantial rural interests on the Monaro plains, where the grasslands are prevalent.

In 2017, a company, Jam Land, in which both Angus and his brother Richard have a shareholding, was investigated by Frydenberg’s department for spraying 30 hectares of native grassland at Delegate in south-east New South Wales.

On Wednesday the Guardian revealed that Taylor, then the minister for cities and digital transformation, sought meetings with departmental officials to discuss the 2016 listing that protects the grasslands as a critically endangered community.

The approaches from Taylor were made via Frydenberg’s office in March 2017. They occurred just a day after Jam Land had met with compliance staff from the department over the alleged land-clearing and are detailed in documents released under a freedom of information request by the Guardian.

Email exchanges during March 2017 show Frydenberg’s office directed his department to meet with Taylor and specifically requested Monica Collins, the then assistant secretary of compliance, attend. The department says she did not go to the meeting.

By April the matter had escalated and an adviser in Frydenberg’s office was asking senior officers about what could be done to amend the listing of the species that was the subject of the investigation, the natural temperate grassland of the south-eastern highlands.

The Guardian can now reveal that the minister’s office wanted to know the full extent of Frydenberg’s ministerial power and whether he could override scientific advice and remove the “critically endangered” listing.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jun/20/josh-frydenbergs-office-asked-if-environmental-rule-changes-could-be-kept-secret

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

So the potato is just quoting MRA talking points these days? He really is loathsome.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

Wife and I just had an offer accepted to buy our first home, prepare the guillotine.

Goondolences.

But seriously, despite all the costs, living in your own place that you can actually change to suit yourself is awesome. No more rental inspections, no more hoping your landlord won’t screw you over, no more fighting for your rental deposit back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Wtf is repairing medical transfers? Is that repealing the medevac bill?