Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

The alpha for this is out on PS4 right now if you got a code. I thought I wouldn't enjoy it because of how limited movement feels after playing Sekiro but they have vastly improved the combat over the first game. The new weapons/fighting styles and especially the more complex unarmed skills flow really well and you have more freedom to shift in and out of demon form. I just got double hatchets that have a mid combo move that lets me throw my offhand hatchet at another enemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i didnt get a code but ill probably play it .. hopefully its nothing like sekiro whatsoeveer

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

hope this game is cool. is it coming out on other platforms?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

extremebuff posted:

hope this game is cool. is it coming out on other platforms?

Allegedly. The first was supposed to be PS4 exclusive but it ended up getting a PC port after the last DLC came out

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The first Nioh started development in 2004 as a PS2 game. It took almost as long to make as Duke Nukem Forever lol

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

i didnt get a code but ill probably play it .. hopefully its nothing like sekiro whatsoeveer

Theres a thing where you reduce a seconday enemy bar called 'chi' or something that if its empty you can do a killing blow that feels a lot like sekiro but otherwise combat is much slower and more methodical

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

nioh thanks too this pile of poo poo as well. gently caress you temco koei!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

nioh thanks too this pile of poo poo as well. gently caress you temco koei!

This.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Theres a thing where you reduce a seconday enemy bar called 'chi' or something that if its empty you can do a killing blow that feels a lot like sekiro but otherwise combat is much slower and more methodical

Yeah that was in the first game too . It feels much more like Dark Souls stamina than it does Sekiro posture but there are more interesting ways to interact with it and take advantage of it than in DS. First game was super cool,, I missed that the alpha was happening but I'll definitely buy

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goferchan posted:

Yeah that was in the first game too . It feels much more like Dark Souls stamina than it does Sekiro posture but there are more interesting ways to interact with it and take advantage of it than in DS. First game was super cool,, I missed that the alpha was happening but I'll definitely buy

its basically the same as a guard break yeah. one cool thing is you get the special ones for knocking guys ki down and sometimes enemies just get knocked over by special moves and that counts, lets you do the execute on them

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

i just mean i hope they dont copy it completely .. and i hope they get rid of some of the more retarded magic buff poo poo too. playing it like a proper action game was good fun til they started reusing tons of maps like 50x and some of the bosses were nice, i like the bushido blade poo poo.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

does it still have the dogshit Diablo loot? I'll play it anyway but it had some really bad
baffling design decisions that got in the way of the good stuff a lot (team ninja game)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The random loot in Nioh is weird because you spend a while being at the mercy of whatever drops then by like the halfway point you have enough resources to bust the smithing/reroll system wide open and you can basically have whatever equipment you want with whatever affixes you want in it . I think the DLC added another tier of endgame gear that you couldn't alter so easily but I never played it. Personally I don't mind the random gear if they keep the easy malleability of it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i hate the random gear but it also doesnt really matter since just picking stuff off the floor and wearing it is good enough for the main story

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only part of the random loot I hated is when you'd kill a remnant and they'd drop a sword from 50 levels above you or whatever so it just one shot everything

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

goferchan posted:

The random loot in Nioh is weird because you spend a while being at the mercy of whatever drops then by like the halfway point you have enough resources to bust the smithing/reroll system wide open and you can basically have whatever equipment you want with whatever affixes you want in it . I think the DLC added another tier of endgame gear that you couldn't alter so easily but I never played it. Personally I don't mind the random gear if they keep the easy malleability of it

I found rerolling to get the right stats on high level stuff ridiculously expensive. Generally there were a couple of attributes for weapons that were essential on higher difficulties but you might only have a 10 percent or whatever chance of rolling them

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
bumping this cause been replaying now that all dlc is out and super ultimate edition is coming out soon. good game, still need to try the new dlc weapons which seem epic like splitstaff

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

apropos to nothing posted:

bumping this cause been replaying now that all dlc is out and super ultimate edition is coming out soon. good game, still need to try the new dlc weapons which seem epic like splitstaff

lol i played through most of the base game but havent touched my ps4 in months. probably going to just buy the pc version

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Forgot to mention but very important to say the cart demons in the dlc can gently caress off they freaking suck!

musclebusiness
Jun 30, 2008

i bought this and ghost of tsushima during the sale. im way more excited about cracking this open, but i started ghost first just to get it out of the way. kusarigama ftw

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
replaying this on PC. it kicks rear end

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the ps5 version loads everything instantly. im finally doing the underworld levels and finishing up the final difficulty level. the giant loving bird guys from the last dlc are the hardest enemy in any game ever and they are showing up everywhere lately and half the time they are either the enemy that controls the dark realm or theyve got the purple buff :stare:

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
these motherfuckers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNtKHBmsr4c

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
every time a new samurai game comes out, i just reinstall sekiro

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

lol jesus

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
played with the fist weapons and respecced since I didn't really like em, but just now found out they have the izuna drop.. might respec for fists again

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kusa is where its at.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Using the switchglaive and magic rn but I dipped into ninjutsu and the feathers are absolutely insane damage even with very little investment into ninjutsu

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm doing tonfa and it rules, I'm only in the second chapter though and haven't figured out a secondary. I love the automatic backstep dodge you can do when you ki pulse with them

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Still playing thru the first nioh and I'm wondering how big an improvement the sequel is since on the fence about buying it

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
its the same game but better. if you like nioh, then you will like nioh 2. if you dont like nioh, then you will prolly not like nioh 2

musclebusiness
Jun 30, 2008

ended up choosing hatchets and shamefully cheesed most of ng with the high stance throw. now I'm on dream of the strong and trying to weave in more elaborate combos to my play. love how the gameplay keeps building off of your skill. beating bosses again in ng+ feels like I'm playing a totally different game

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Theyre both garbage. Cheers

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

Theyre both garbage. Cheers

You're wrong old man

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hizke posted:

Using the switchglaive and magic rn but I dipped into ninjutsu and the feathers are absolutely insane damage even with very little investment into ninjutsu

The secret to ninjutsu is actually the buffs. Their duration scales with ninjutsu power though so they're not amazing if you dont invest into dex. It owns to use two running scrolls to speedrun an entire main mission effortlessly. I dont like poison or paralysis as much as applying Confusion but they're good too.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
this game is the best action rpg ever, it never ends if you dont want it too and theres endless ways to build or change your character because theres one billion systems to learn and you can use as few or as many of them as you want

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

goferchan posted:

You're wrong old man

Nioh im not :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

The secret to ninjutsu is actually the buffs. Their duration scales with ninjutsu power though so they're not amazing if you dont invest into dex. It owns to use two running scrolls to speedrun an entire main mission effortlessly. I dont like poison or paralysis as much as applying Confusion but they're good too.

I don't even have any crazy NG+ set armors and I've got like +45% melee damage against poison enemies from my gear and soul cores, a few effects that make poison apply faster, and a skill in the shiftling tree that let me pick one of my weapon attacks to make apply poison damage, so I don't even have to use ninjitsu to do it. Tearing poo poo up right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

apropos to nothing posted:

this game is the best action rpg ever, it never ends if you dont want it too and theres endless ways to build or change your character because theres one billion systems to learn and you can use as few or as many of them as you want

Its easily my goty 2020, i can't even explain how much it pwns. i can play it for hours