Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm so used to just chilling at bonfires in dark souls enjoying the background sounds of embers crackling and the psychotic squeaking noises that Kodama at shrines in this game make is really funny in comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Im stuck on the snake boss. gonna get it later though

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Im stuck on the snake boss. gonna get it later though

It's the first boss to really punish the poo poo out of you for not knowing how to utilise ki pulses and burst counters.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I liked Nioh a lot but kind of blundered through it without ever feeling like I had clicked with the mechanics lol. Never played the DLC as I was stuck on some of the endgame challenge fights with 2+ bosses and didn't want to progress until I'd beaten those. Hopefully starting fresh with this one will help

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Nioh 2 fixes that because I can’t think of any fights that have two bosses present at once just back to back after you beat them. That was my least favorite part of the first one cause the game isn’t really designed around fighting multiple boss caliber enemies at once

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Why am I so bad at the Nioh games :smith:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

a Loving Dog posted:

Why am I so bad at the Nioh games :smith:

If you're coming from dark souls dodge and block function just differently enough to gently caress you up. First thing is that if an enemy has you in a combo, stun lock prevents you from dodging away but you can still block. Blocking is really good in these games because you prevent 100% of physical damage, even if the hit you block empties your Ki and stuns you. It's ok to use the last bit of your Ki to block a big combo finisher from a boss or whatever, when that would normally kill you in Souls. Dodging is good too but each stance has different strengths -- low stance is a fast, short dodge with very few iframes, high stance is a Souls-style roll with lots of iframes and longer recovery, and mid is in the middle. You want to switch to low to quickly reposition around enemy attacks and use your high dodge for stuff like big sweeps and beam attacks.

Ki pulsing is also something you can't really ignore, you just have to get in the rhythm of when to do it. Pretty early on in the Samurai tree you unlock skills that let you dodge or switch stances with the correct timing to trigger a Ki pulse, which give you more options than just hitting R1. They're pretty good to pick up early

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I felt like I never really got the hang of ki pulsing, I did it reliably but it felt like it took up a lot of my concentration and added a weird distracting rhythm game element to the fights. Probably should have branched into those skills.

Honestly I think I would have struggled to beat the game without the ninjutsu that slows bosses down to 50% speed and has like five uses lol, seemed crazy overpowered

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
early on too you just dont have enough ki or unlocked skills for weapons to pull off long/cool combos and stuff better to just get a simple one in and then recover. i started a new game to relive the early days since way of the nioh/underworld are just so different and trying out every single weapon. switchglaive is better than I thought and splitstaff seems like it is beastly with all the abilities unlocked but its funky getting the timings down since all the moves have extended versiona nd some attacks hit twice but like slower than the dual swords when they hit twice in a single input

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I felt like I never really got the hang of ki pulsing, I did it reliably but it felt like it took up a lot of my concentration and added a weird distracting rhythm game element to the fights. Probably should have branched into those skills.

Honestly I think I would have struggled to beat the game without the ninjutsu that slows bosses down to 50% speed and has like five uses lol, seemed crazy overpowered

if youre a psychogamer souls freak then unlock the skills that let you ki pulse on dodge and then you can more or less play it like bloodborne and just never block. flipmode is if youre always blocking, using a purity weapon will let you recover ki you lost from blocking using a ki pulse.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ki pulses seem impossible at first but its important to remember that its always always the exact same time for a max-strength pulse after your last ki usage. It's a rhythm, combo, dodge back, pulse. It takes like half a second or something. Once you get it down you realize that this game puts any souls game to shame with how much mobility you have in a fight.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

apropos to nothing posted:

if youre a psychogamer souls freak then unlock the skills that let you ki pulse on dodge and then you can more or less play it like bloodborne and just never block. flipmode is if youre always blocking, using a purity weapon will let you recover ki you lost from blocking using a ki pulse.

Personally I think the Pulse on dodge one makes the game easier, it's almost always what I use.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

apropos to nothing posted:

oh that sounds neat. I've forgotten more about the game than I thought lol

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Just checked apparently have 180 hours on my current character :stare:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Probably left the game running overnight a couple times but steam tells me I just hit 100 hours in this turd. This game rules. Almost done with first playthrough, the difficulty curve has been kind of weird for me where the first few bosses were REALLY tough, then I breezed through like every mission first try for a while, and now near the end I'm getting my rear end kicked again. Even with all my cheese tactics that side mission where you fight Enenra again in the bathhouse easily took me like a dozen tries

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Even though I played Nioh 1 I really got poo poo on until I got used to not playing it like a souls game so it makes sense.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

gently caress it, just picked up nioh 2. i hope I like it, I bounced off the first one hard

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

extremebuff posted:

gently caress it, just picked up nioh 2. i hope I like it, I bounced off the first one hard

Have fun. Don't stress about the weapon choice at the beginning and the stat boost that comes with it, max level is like 750 and initial weapon choice only accounts for like 2 of those stat points lol. Also feel free to use all the DLC bonus armor and weapons,none of it's OP but it can be nice for the first few missions . And *whole audience yelling* DON'T FORGET THE FORLORN WOLF COAT!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

extremebuff posted:

its important to remember that absolutely none of the stats or subsystems or whatever matter until like deepfried ng+++ endgame

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm nearly five hours in and nearly all my deaths so far have been to these psycho monkey guys, who are somehow harder than than the first boss

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ive been playing games where youre responsible for your stats forever I know how this poo poo works. you pick a main damage stat and dump everything else into life

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

multijoe posted:

I'm nearly five hours in and nearly all my deaths so far have been to these psycho monkey guys, who are somehow harder than than the first boss

Enki are hard. Their soul core is one of my favorites in the game though, I'm almost on the last level and I still have it equipped almost constantly, you can dodge a ton of attacks with the jump before you throw the spear and it does a nice hunk of ki damage

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

extremebuff posted:

ive been playing games where youre responsible for your stats forever I know how this poo poo works. you pick a main damage stat and dump everything else into life

There are some really, really strong buffs and debuffs in the magic/ninjitsu trees which are still useful even if you're not going all-in on doing damage using those stats. Definitely don't ignore them once you unlock the ability to use them

edit: my favorite early ones were poison coating for my your weapon from ninjitsu and the Barrier Talisman and Slow Talisman from onmyo magic . If you can stack the lightning effect and slow onto an enemy they move at like 33% speed and it works on most bosses lol

goferchan fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 12, 2021

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the slow talisman was my absolute crutch in Nioh 1 and it's incredible how much stuff it worked on

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i finished the tutorial and beat the horseman and this game feels really good. once I got used to the ki burst system i realized you don't have a stamina bar you have a rhythm meter you need to keep the beat on and it's a really fun system

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the weapon styles are really cool and remind me of jedi knight outcast lol but fleshed out and modernized. love that I can swing around a giant axe but go Low Style for quicker, defensive strikes against faster enemies

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

extremebuff Mar 19, 2021 11:23 Actually I haven't played in a week, the game is kind of bullshit.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

extremebuff Mar 19, 2021 11:23 Actually I haven't played in a week, the game is kind of bullshit.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Me as I made that post

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

extremebuff posted:

i finished the tutorial and beat the horseman and this game feels really good. once I got used to the ki burst system i realized you don't have a stamina bar you have a rhythm meter you need to keep the beat on and it's a really fun system

Not sure about Axe but tonfa has a skill that lets you turn your ki pulse into a little backstep dodge and then combo it into other attacks, it's so sick

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

extremebuff posted:

Once it clicks this game let's you do whatever you want and I love it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Once it clicks this game let's you do whatever you want and I love it.
I hope it lets me suck off men in the big shed :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :weed: :D

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I hope it lets me suck off men in the big shed :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :weed: :D

Settle down.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Larry Parrish posted:

Settle down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKdJ6DnPhzk

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmfao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Adbot