Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Theres a thing where you reduce a seconday enemy bar called 'chi' or something that if its empty you can do a killing blow that feels a lot like sekiro but otherwise combat is much slower and more methodical

Yeah that was in the first game too . It feels much more like Dark Souls stamina than it does Sekiro posture but there are more interesting ways to interact with it and take advantage of it than in DS. First game was super cool,, I missed that the alpha was happening but I'll definitely buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The random loot in Nioh is weird because you spend a while being at the mercy of whatever drops then by like the halfway point you have enough resources to bust the smithing/reroll system wide open and you can basically have whatever equipment you want with whatever affixes you want in it . I think the DLC added another tier of endgame gear that you couldn't alter so easily but I never played it. Personally I don't mind the random gear if they keep the easy malleability of it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm doing tonfa and it rules, I'm only in the second chapter though and haven't figured out a secondary. I love the automatic backstep dodge you can do when you ki pulse with them

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

Theyre both garbage. Cheers

You're wrong old man

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

The secret to ninjutsu is actually the buffs. Their duration scales with ninjutsu power though so they're not amazing if you dont invest into dex. It owns to use two running scrolls to speedrun an entire main mission effortlessly. I dont like poison or paralysis as much as applying Confusion but they're good too.

I don't even have any crazy NG+ set armors and I've got like +45% melee damage against poison enemies from my gear and soul cores, a few effects that make poison apply faster, and a skill in the shiftling tree that let me pick one of my weapon attacks to make apply poison damage, so I don't even have to use ninjitsu to do it. Tearing poo poo up right now

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm so used to just chilling at bonfires in dark souls enjoying the background sounds of embers crackling and the psychotic squeaking noises that Kodama at shrines in this game make is really funny in comparison

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

a Loving Dog posted:

Why am I so bad at the Nioh games :smith:

If you're coming from dark souls dodge and block function just differently enough to gently caress you up. First thing is that if an enemy has you in a combo, stun lock prevents you from dodging away but you can still block. Blocking is really good in these games because you prevent 100% of physical damage, even if the hit you block empties your Ki and stuns you. It's ok to use the last bit of your Ki to block a big combo finisher from a boss or whatever, when that would normally kill you in Souls. Dodging is good too but each stance has different strengths -- low stance is a fast, short dodge with very few iframes, high stance is a Souls-style roll with lots of iframes and longer recovery, and mid is in the middle. You want to switch to low to quickly reposition around enemy attacks and use your high dodge for stuff like big sweeps and beam attacks.

Ki pulsing is also something you can't really ignore, you just have to get in the rhythm of when to do it. Pretty early on in the Samurai tree you unlock skills that let you dodge or switch stances with the correct timing to trigger a Ki pulse, which give you more options than just hitting R1. They're pretty good to pick up early

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Probably left the game running overnight a couple times but steam tells me I just hit 100 hours in this turd. This game rules. Almost done with first playthrough, the difficulty curve has been kind of weird for me where the first few bosses were REALLY tough, then I breezed through like every mission first try for a while, and now near the end I'm getting my rear end kicked again. Even with all my cheese tactics that side mission where you fight Enenra again in the bathhouse easily took me like a dozen tries

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

extremebuff posted:

gently caress it, just picked up nioh 2. i hope I like it, I bounced off the first one hard

Have fun. Don't stress about the weapon choice at the beginning and the stat boost that comes with it, max level is like 750 and initial weapon choice only accounts for like 2 of those stat points lol. Also feel free to use all the DLC bonus armor and weapons,none of it's OP but it can be nice for the first few missions . And *whole audience yelling* DON'T FORGET THE FORLORN WOLF COAT!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

multijoe posted:

I'm nearly five hours in and nearly all my deaths so far have been to these psycho monkey guys, who are somehow harder than than the first boss

Enki are hard. Their soul core is one of my favorites in the game though, I'm almost on the last level and I still have it equipped almost constantly, you can dodge a ton of attacks with the jump before you throw the spear and it does a nice hunk of ki damage

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

extremebuff posted:

ive been playing games where youre responsible for your stats forever I know how this poo poo works. you pick a main damage stat and dump everything else into life

There are some really, really strong buffs and debuffs in the magic/ninjitsu trees which are still useful even if you're not going all-in on doing damage using those stats. Definitely don't ignore them once you unlock the ability to use them

edit: my favorite early ones were poison coating for my your weapon from ninjitsu and the Barrier Talisman and Slow Talisman from onmyo magic . If you can stack the lightning effect and slow onto an enemy they move at like 33% speed and it works on most bosses lol

goferchan fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 12, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

extremebuff posted:

i finished the tutorial and beat the horseman and this game feels really good. once I got used to the ki burst system i realized you don't have a stamina bar you have a rhythm meter you need to keep the beat on and it's a really fun system

Not sure about Axe but tonfa has a skill that lets you turn your ki pulse into a little backstep dodge and then combo it into other attacks, it's so sick

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The snake bitch youre about to fight will probably be like the hardest boss by far in the next ten missions lol, don't give up

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

extremebuff posted:

definitely was the hardest boss yet but it taught me a lot. this game rules

We should really co-op sometime. In case you don't know (it's probably never explained lol) the game has some weird level scaling in place when you do a mission in co-op mode where the difficulty remains about the same but you still get drops scaled to your characters level -- so if you replay old boss missions in co-op mode you can get stronger high level Soul Cores from early missions without having to wait to roll around in NG+

edit: If you've seen any "Twilight Missions" pop up in the bottom left of the map they work the same way. It's a rotating daily set of remixed campaign missions that will always scale to your level and provide level-appropriate drops for equipment and soul cores. If you're still early in the story though there's a good chance they'll be for missions you haven't finished yet and therefore unplayable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

extremebuff posted:

update: still playing this, its very good. the side content balance is sometimes whack, like duels with dudes that have 5x more HP than the last boss you fought and oneshot you lol.

it's a sick game otherwise. appreciate that its easy to switch to a new weapon type and it levels up super fast. main story is constantly introducing new really cool enemies

Quite a few of those duels were free post-launch content added before the proper DLC came out, and I think the chapter they end up in is based on where they make sense in the story, but not necessarily representative of difficulty level. They're doable but some of them are pretty loving hard if you try them as soon as they unlock