Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

City of Heroes

It's 2019, and our dead dumb game is back and kicking! The code's in the wild and a slew of private servers have popped up, so whether you're a vet who is dying to get back into the game or someone who has merely heard stories of it in passing, now's the best time.
So how did we get the game back? The short of is that there has been a super secret private server floating around for the last six years. The whistle got blown, threats got made, oops the source code is everywhere!

Discord

There are two SA goon discords available for our community:

Kuhullan’s Clown Basket: https://discord.gg/kEPRbCF Where the bulk of the chat is, post in the server and we'll manually auth you. The channels are a lot more granular and it is a great place to ask all of your questions.

SA Gamers: https://discord.gg/364rsdd The very large goon gaming server, though you'll need to mute many of the unwanted channels.

Connecting to the Private Servers

There are a variety of private servers out there now, most of which have been documented in this old Massively article (if there's a better site for these, please let me know so I can replace this link). You can access them all via the resources linked on their respective sites. Installers and other :filez: will not be provided in this post.
Most goons play on Homecoming, however if you prefer an I24 experience that has been untainted by player dev, there are options out there for you.

Homecoming: The Large Pub Server

Homecoming is the highest population of the various private servers and there are many goons already on here. You may find their website here: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/, and all steps to sign up & access the game are located in their 'Getting Started' forum.

Homecoming has five servers:
Torchbearer & Excelsior, which are the busiest servers.
Everlasting, the unofficial RP server.
Indomitable, the unofficial PVP server.
Reunion, the official EU server actually located in the EU.

Goons are primarily on Indomitable, however the server lets you transfer servers up to 5 times a day, so really you can play wherever and if a goon group catches your fancy just pop on over to indom. You can also mail yourself inf & items globally.

Mid's Reborn Hero Designer: An up to date release of Mid's hero planner.

You can pick up the latest version of this right here. It is basically the same as it ever was, just with updated powers and numbers. Note that it is currently missing the updated tanker values from the recent buff.

Additional Resources:

I24 and I25 proliferated many power sets, and you can find more information about those right here! Do note that Wind Control is not available nor are any of the Origin pools except for Sorcery.

While Homecoming has received additional patches, if you're interested in seeing what I25 did to the game, here's the patch notes for I25!

Looking for old builds, guides or other resources? Go here and you'll be able to access a snapshot of the old forums!
https://web.archive.org/web/20120904100456/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/index.php

Kheldarn's Pop Menu setup, which lets you create handy little popout menus.

Ognar's Guide to Setting up a Super Group & Base

There are far more resources in our discord as well, too many to list in the OP here.

This is pretty barebones, but I'm going to try and fill the OPs out as rapidly as my personal time allows.
If people want to help pull info from the last thread or contribute to these posts I will edit it in ASAP.
to-do:
add goonbox, but not until someone posts up a version with the tasteless poo poo scrubbed.
add new player info, some sort of 'what is coh?' post, invention basics, incarnate basics
post 1 is basic 'get on server' info and general resources, post 2 for nitty gritty game detail, post 3 for funny pictures and japes

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

This will be filled in with basic info about CoH and new player info etc. Basics on IOs, incarnates and whatever else we can think of.

What is City of Heroes?

Oh god, what AT/Powers do I pick!?

The short answer is, pick what you like for the most part! There's very few sets that are absolute traps. The only set we'd truly warn you off of is Regen, and instead will usually recommend Willpower as a similarly themed but better to play set. There are a few other sets with issues, such as Super Strength post-rage nerf, Energy Melee and Trick Arrow but all three are plenty playable. Aside from that, Masterminds have some issues at the top end, but they are unique and fun to play and I will wholeheartedly recommend at least dipping your toes into the pool with them.

Longer answer: There's an incredible amount of unique options out there that all play very differently from one another. Whether you're looking to come up with a cool theme, or wanting to build for pure min-max power, there's plenty of options for you. Below is a short description of each Archetype and how they play, as well as a recommendation of a couple of powers per AT. Note that a lack of recommendation is not an indictment of a set; brevity is important so this doesn't turn into an even larger wall of text.

Blaster - Live life on the edge, crap out lots of damage, get more and more damage the more you attack. While being ranged oriented, they also often have a slew of melee attacks, urging them to dip in and out of melee, though you can build pure ranged. Blasters have a reputation for dying quickly, but they've received some nice QoL improvements in their various secondaries that help them stay standing.

Recommendations: Fire/ and Water/ have a nice mixture of ST and AOE, being pretty simple and comfortable to play from beginning to end. /Atomic offers you some big melee hitters and rewards you for wading in, as well as a second Build Up, and /Temporal has some neat defensive utility, crowd control and a secondary Build Up.

Controller - Incapacitate swathes of foes with various crowd control abilities, while simultaneously buffing your allies or debilitating your enemies even further. While Controllers often don't do the most damage (and even then there are exceptions to that), they are an incredible force on a team that can smooth out the experience by simply making sure their enemies don't get to do anything at all!

Recommendations: Earth/ offers the most pure control, giving you numerous tools to bounce between packs and lock them down one after another. Illusion/ is on the other end of the spectrum, offering decent control but blooming into strong damage. /Kinetics will land you a spot on any team, being a powerful buffer that rockets the team's power into the stratosphere. /Time offers more defensive options, while also offering you more control and still bearing sizable offensive buffs.

Defender - Buff, shield, heal, debuff, all of the pure support tools you could ever want are bundled in this archetype, along with the highest raw values for them as well. Defenders make excellent cornerstones for the team, proving great utility while putting out a decent bit of damage themselves, as they have Blaster sets for their secondary pools. Defenders also play well with other buffing sets, as all of them stack from each individual player.

Recommendations: The buff sets mentioned above are excellent, but mixing things up a bit, Thermal/ is an underrated set that offers a mixture of debuffing, defensive buffs, offensive buffs and healing. It's a nice well rounded, mixed bag that is oft overlooked. Cold/ offers some of the strongest debuffing in the game, helping evaporate AVs and large groups of foes, as well as providing solid defensive utility and a touch of control. On the blast side of things, Water/ offers you additional soft control and defense debuffing, and Ice/ offers you some very solid damage and additional ST control.

Scrapper - Leap into the fray and beat the crap out of everything moving. You do a lot of damage and you're tough enough to take a few licks and keep going. Scrapper is the purest form of melee dps, with minimal gimmicks attached to their AT. You attack, you have a chance to crit and do even more damage, and that's that. If you want to just hop in and punch some dudes, this is the choice for you.

Recommendations: Claws/ is a great choice for ease of play. It does solid damage, animates and recharges quickly, and has a nice smooth attack chain very early on. Rad/ takes a bit longer to get itself together, but does well on both ST and AOE, carries some rarely resisted damage and has tons of -def to help you and your team land attacks easier. On the armor side of things, /Willpower is the ultimate 'set it and forget' choice. Turn it on and just go! It offers a bit of everything defensively, as well as additional endurance recovery. If you want something a bit more engaging, /Electric starts off a bit slow but turns into a defensive powerhouse with a solid amount of offense and endurance management.

Tanker - The polar opposite of Scrapper, the tanker embodies pure defense. It has the highest values on all of the armor sets, and can easily be turned into a rock solid fixture that can gather foes and keep them off their teammates. Every swing they take taunts their foes in an area, and their basic tier 1 attack reduces resistance on an enemy.

Recommendations: Radiation/ is a ridiculously defensive set, having large amounts of Resistance, debuffing enemy accuracy, and also featuring an enormous single target absorb buff. Invulnerability/ is the classic tanker set, offering a nice mix of defense and resistance once you wade into combat, as well as taking care of practically all of your To-Hit needs. On the offensive side, it's kind of hard to recommend a particular set, as Tanker's damage isn't the draw here. Many of the sets have various bits of utility in the form of soft controls or debuffing.

Making money (Inf)
Three basic ways to do this:

For beginners, buy Enhancement Converters with Merits and sell them, as well as your rare salvage. This link has some other good clueless newbie tips.

For those who like playing the market, converting enhancements.

For those who like to farm, raising a farming character and setting them up.

Enhancements for Beginners

IO Crafting Basics

Incarnate System

Potsticker posted:

I'm 50, what do I do now? A hopefully as clear as possible explanation of the Incarnate system for people who never did this confusing poo poo back in the day.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 16, 2020

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Reserved two. For all of our dumb memes. Here's an important one to start:

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 28, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that new thread smell

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
yay, finally

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I love CoX so much

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

would you let this imp rescue you?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
edit: wrong thread

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 29, 2019

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

evergreen image for the new thread

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Just gonna rub my stink all over this new thread. This game is great and I love it being back. Goon server is a good server too, with some decent tools for getting right to that content.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm 50, what do I do now? A hopefully as clear as possible explanation of the Incarnate system for people who never did this confusing poo poo back in the day.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Relentless posted:

What?

Just mail it to your global handle. Inf or salvage or whatever and pick it up on your alt.

Nessus posted:

You can mail your chat handle inf at zero risk.

Kheldarn posted:

Or, you know, use the no-risk option by sending it to yourself via Global Email.

Didn't know this was a thing! I searched Google for how to transfer inf and auction house chicanery was the first result.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Tsurupettan posted:

Reserved two. For all of our dumb memes. Here's an important one to start:

I hope that when I am gone, this will forever be part of my legacy. It's sadly one of my proudest video game accomplishments

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Today I learned that pulling an auction before it sells makes you lose your deposit. Which in hindsight seems logical, but now I can’t sell my first orange ingredient to get the inf ball rolling until I grind up more inf. Feels bad! Game good though.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

If there are outstanding bids for the salvage/recipies you are listing, you get the highest outstanding bid, even if you list it for 5 inf.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Just to get this into the new thread, if you’re playing on the pub server, here’s the easiest, no luck or market acumen/research involved method of getting money:

Do any story arc. Take the reward merits you get and trade them in for 3 enhancement converters for each merit. Sell the enhancement converters for 100,000 apiece on the auction house.

It’s not the most efficient means of getting money, but it’s a surprisingly good baseline and requires no real effort, skill, or luck.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

winterwerefox posted:

If there are outstanding bids for the salvage/recipies you are listing, you get the highest outstanding bid, even if you list it for 5 inf.

Isn’t that a bit risky? I admit I don’t know how the whole thing works but if I’m trying to get roughly a million for something and it ends up selling for a fraction of that I’d be super bummed.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

clone on the phone posted:

Isn’t that a bit risky? I admit I don’t know how the whole thing works but if I’m trying to get roughly a million for something and it ends up selling for a fraction of that I’d be super bummed.

It depends on what it is. If there are hundreds or thousands of bids, you’re pretty safe. If there are three bids, it’s not gonna be worth the risk.

For rare salvage, you’re gonna get 900,000 or more almost guaranteed, but I have sometimes seen some go for 7-800,000.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Also, there's a 5% commission for selling things, but a 10% commission on profit above the listed number. So if you list an orange salvage for a million, you'll be charged 50,000, but if you list an orange for only 1, you'll be charged 100,000.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

Also, there's a 5% commission for selling things, but a 10% commission on profit above the listed number. So if you list an orange salvage for a million, you'll be charged 50,000, but if you list an orange for only 1, you'll be charged 100,000.

I guess I don’t mind taking a hit on my first sale just to get some seed money to get me up and running.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

I guess I don’t mind taking a hit on my first sale just to get some seed money to get me up and running.

Yeah, it's not so bad. Just don't go listing hundreds of enhancement converters at 1 each.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

just because I'll never have a more relevant time or place to post it, I'm just going to say it aloud: it drives me nuts that a fire/fire blaster, fire/thermal corruptor, and thermal/fire defender are all totally different characters. that there isn't just a button I can push to switch roles at the trainer or w/e. it's never going to change, it's foundational to the way the game is built, but I've hated it for fifteen years so now I'm saying it out loud

5-selling is how you quickly move all your salvage off so you can just mail the residual inf to your crafting alt

EDIT:

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm still mad they never got around to adding consistent skins to all the relevant parts. For example, monster legs and arms have no matching fire and ice 2, and the feet of monster legs have no fire and ice at all. Monster faces don't let you put on extra horns (or pretty much anything). Champions Online was more flexible than this.

they literally never had boots for the drat steampunk armor texture

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 29, 2019

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm still mad they never got around to adding consistent skins to all the relevant parts. For example, monster legs and arms have no matching fire and ice 2, and the feet of monster legs have no fire and ice at all. Monster faces don't let you put on extra horns (or pretty much anything). Champions Online was more flexible than this.

What's the population difference between Indomitable and the goon server? I've only just begun so I don't mind switching servers, but Indom has a lot of people plus goons, so it's a hard sell if the goon server only has a few on it.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Freakazoid_ posted:

What's the population difference between Indomitable and the goon server? I've only just begun so I don't mind switching servers, but Indom has a lot of people plus goons, so it's a hard sell if the goon server only has a few on it.

I don't play on the goon server but I think I can state with confidence that Homecoming will have the highest population out of everything available because it was first.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

From what I’ve seen of homecoming, the players number in the thousands, per server. I think there’s a server status page somewhere that has numbers.

e: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/status/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ios_share_flow_optimization&utm_term=control_2

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 29, 2019

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

the goon server would never be as big even if every goon played on it and brought 2 friends

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's really hard to raise the stakes on The Revolting Flayed without just becoming a blood elemental

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Freakazoid_ posted:

I made a dope monstrous chitin skin but the legs look all hosed up. I was so annoyed.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's really hard to raise the stakes on The Revolting Flayed without just becoming a blood elemental

Our blades are sharp.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Nehru the Damaja posted:

it's me, I'm the one who got The Flayed Man on indom and I went a much more subtle direction with it:

something about the full-body bandages with no eyeholes really adds to the horror, I think. also the crisp white suit.

also: playing a heal-based support for you guys is a real loving drain on my sanity, lol. please be kind to your hapless backup by paying attention to your surroundings

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

the goon server would never be as big even if every goon played on it and brought 2 friends

Yeah, but man. The Hoi Palloi. The great unwashed. The pubstove. Before the servers opened up to the public I thought it'd be better to play on a tiny server with only relatively cool people, and exposure to the public has done nothing to disavow me of that opinion.

I'm gonna give the switch a shot. I was dubious until I found out they'd seeded the AH, which means gearing up won't be a joyless slog. Armiger Grundermann will probably be a proud 18th worlder.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

LordSaturn posted:

it's me, I'm the one who got The Flayed Man on indom and I went a much more subtle direction with it:

something about the full-body bandages with no eyeholes really adds to the horror, I think. also the crisp white suit.

also: playing a heal-based support for you guys is a real loving drain on my sanity, lol. please be kind to your hapless backup by paying attention to your surroundings

Yeah I do the bandages on my default costume. But my third one had to really kick up the gore, so featureless meat face is where we are.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Yeah, but man. The Hoi Palloi. The great unwashed. The pubstove. Before the servers opened up to the public I thought it'd be better to play on a tiny server with only relatively cool people, and exposure to the public has done nothing to disavow me of that opinion.

I'm gonna give the switch a shot. I was dubious until I found out they'd seeded the AH, which means gearing up won't be a joyless slog. Armiger Grundermann will probably be a proud 18th worlder.

Right now, Homecoming consists 95% of people who played on the Live server; some of them spent every day missing CoH, while others are "eh, it's back, I'll play a few sewer runs". However, pretty soon word will leak out to the people who never played the original, that they can play a top-tier MMO for free with all the bells and whistles. Then, the server will be overwhelmed by the hordes of grubby pubbies who infest every F2P game.

When we start seeing accounts named xXxGokuWeedLord420xXx, it will be time to pack it in.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

*quietly deletes weedvegetaxxx from w18*

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I don't think I've had anything but positive experiences with CoX pubbies. Either now, or when I played in the past. It's got to be the most pug friendly game I've ever played, even when everything goes wrong it still manages to be fun and people seem to stay good humoured.

Not saying the crazy isn't out there, and maybe I've been lucky so far... but it's not like there's ever been a shortage of loving weirdo goons either.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I've had decent experiences with pubbies but I try to group with goons as much as possible. Ideally I'll just ping pong between the two unless there's a massive migration to the goon server or back to Indom.

Also I'm curious as to if any of the servers will ever "finish" the Incarnate track.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

tooterfish posted:

I don't think I've had anything but positive experiences with CoX pubbies. Either now, or when I played in the past. It's got to be the most pug friendly game I've ever played, even when everything goes wrong it still manages to be fun and people seem to stay good humoured.

Not saying the crazy isn't out there, and maybe I've been lucky so far... but it's not like there's ever been a shortage of loving weirdo goons either.

Yeah, it's a decent lot. PuGs aren't ever all that bad and everyone seems to be "Ah yeah!" when you smash a mission deep in purple. I don't think I've ever been a part of a group that didn't congratulate anyone who dings a level. The culture is just friendly.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Gynovore posted:

Right now, Homecoming consists 95% of people who played on the Live server; some of them spent every day missing CoH, while others are "eh, it's back, I'll play a few sewer runs". However, pretty soon word will leak out to the people who never played the original, that they can play a top-tier MMO for free with all the bells and whistles. Then, the server will be overwhelmed by the hordes of grubby pubbies who infest every F2P game.

When we start seeing accounts named xXxGokuWeedLord420xXx, it will be time to pack it in.

i'd be really surprised if this takes off in some major way, just because it's free doesn't mean the gameplay is going to attract a bunch of people (especially when there's a bunch of other free games out there...)

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Gynovore posted:

You take that back. The first character I made on Indom is VegetaWeedlord420, and he's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

smh if gokuweedlord420 isn't the hero paragon city needs