Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Warshade was fun if you like a very active play style that requires you to constantly swap between forms to keep yourself buffed enough to be useful. Which I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

zzMisc posted:

-85% resist is still generally less effective than 45% defense, and requires heavier mez protection because you get hit by everything. What mez holes do you have?

45% def vs ranged or melee (and high 30s for whichever you didn't cap) is pretty reasonable to attain for any AT
e: I mean, having capped resists to common damage types + soft capped def

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Kheldians lost their critical weakness to Void guns all the way back on live.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
New issue out, servers were down but now they're up. Holy poo poo the patch notes are awesome:

Homecoming posted:

Changes have been made to the options window to make it more intuitive to use. The various buttons have always been a source of trouble. The "Apply Now" button in particular is extremely unhelpful. Most of the time it doesn't actually do anything, because many options take effect immediately. Some options however require the Apply Now button to take effect. Worse, there is a third class of options that appear to take effect immediately, but don't actually save unless you click Apply Now, and will be lost after logging out if you simply close the window.

It's amazing how good this game is despite being built on such lovely code.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

oh they just slammed that poo poo out there today huh
e: TK/Levitate is :kiss:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 21, 2024

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

After 20 years the game finally has the technology to let you use left click to move the camera

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And I hate it and want to know if there's some way to turn that poo poo off. <:mad:>

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FooF posted:

Absolutely: Kheldians were originally intended to be the ultimate teammates. Peacebringers were there to supplement anything the team lacked and Warshades complemented anything the team already had.

To respond to the individual questions:
- No mez holes to speak of. Light Form provides something like Mag 4 resistance, which doesn't seem like a lot but I can't remember the last time I was held. If you are held, you just switch to Dwarf for the Mag 30 or whatever resistance.
- You have a modest self-heal in Human (~50%), a Dull Pain analog, and a stronger self-heal in Dwarf (65%). Because of global recharge and Hasten, I think my regular self heal has like a 15 second downtime, Dwarf's is like 20 seconds. Between the two, one is almost always up. I also have Conserve Energy which is a 50% endurance reduction click power that has about 50% uptime without slotting it.
- Nukes: yes, Human form can Dawn Strike (about every 40 seconds) and Photon Seekers (every 60 seconds) at point blank range does about the same damage albeit in a tighter radius. You also get the equivalent of Foot Stomp in Solar Flare.
- Team Benefit: outside of Leadership skills, not really. There's a single-target heal that I skipped and terrible area stun that I also skipped.
- Light Form gives you 52.5% resist to everything but Psi, a 30% endurance boost that's better than Stamina, and the aforementioned Mez resist. It's also a click power so it can't get toggled off.
- Yes, it's not great against hard targets. Your single-target chain is only 3 attacks.
- Funnily enough, Quantum/Void enemies aren't kryptonite. Early on, their attacks mez you but the damage itself isn't so bad. Once you get Dwarf and Light Form, they're nothing special.

I have all 3 forms but I generally only use 2. Human form for all the PBAoEs and single target damage, Nova for ranged (because it literally does twice the damage). Since Light Form and click powers carry over into the other forms, Nova Form is a mini-Blaster with 85% resistances and limitless endurance. You do have to drop back into Human to re-up Light Form but you get used to it. The Light Form crash is 50% Health/Endurance but the self-heals take care of it instantly.

The only thing that really makes it team unfriendly is Knockback. Most of the bigger attacks cause it but there is a Knockdown IO you can slot to make it so everything stays put.

Yeah you just slot the knockback into knockdown IOs. It’s great. The handwringing over Kheldians is very outdated info. They’re fine, not optimal but fine.

I’ve handily crushed my way through everything in this game up to and including 4* content and tanked the Vanguard in 4* Aeon as a human form only Peacebringer.

I generally feel that Peacebringer is a better fit to harder content than Warshade and is a more consistent performer. The highs are very high on Warshade but you will eat poo poo sometimes and there will be very little you can do about it.

Believe in yourself heroes. Or believe in your IO budget, whichever. :colbert:

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I played a bit with my PB over the weekend, just random PUGs, and I felt like I was consistently the most valuable member of the team. I tanked everything, dropped all but bosses with nukes, had no problem with Arachnos or Carnies while the rest of the team was sucking wind, etc. There were team wipes where everyone died but me. If that’s one sort of knock against being so tanky is that you can’t hold aggro without being in Dwarf form (and even that is limited to Taunt).

I’m not saying it’s the best or anything but it’s really good at a lot of stuff and doesn’t feel like it has glaring weaknesses. Granted, I’m fully IOd out and my teammates probably weren’t. Most content is trivial once you really hone in a build.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I had the "oh gently caress it's my day off but servers are down for a patch during the free time I had to play fuuuuuuuuuujck" feelings yesterday.

...Which hasn't happened to me in ages. This truly is the ultimate nostalgic mmo experience. :j:

And another thing: I'm not mad. Please don't tell Twinshot I got mad.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dang, Mids already updated to reflect the new powerset stuff :thumbsup:
e: the new Aresenal Control set seems super strong, especially Gas Canister (and forum people were freaking out about it not being any good)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 22, 2024

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
"BuT It dOeSn't hAvE AnY ImMoBiLiZe" :saddowns:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah I heard that a couple of times "if it had immobilize it would be one of the better sets" :stare:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

lol immob is useless in a team context, anybody with AoEs hates it, tanks hate it, you could run storm without kb->kd, turn every encounter into a knockback-fest, and you'd be contributing much more to the fight than controllers who break out their immob constantly. a control set without immobs is unequivocally better than the ones that have them as long as it still has good debuffs and holds

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah there are so few use cases for AOE immob and so many examples of it used badly, like thanks for making sure everyone has to kill each minion with single target attacks :shrug:

Old_Screwtape
Nov 18, 2014
I feel like it's a problem with too many pubbies worrying too much about setting up containment. If you're on a team steamrolling, you don't need containment. And if you're solo, maybe don't run at x8 or use the sleep?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

loving hell. I remember on live getting pissed off with smug idiots spamming AoE immobs that ruined everyone else's fun.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
spamming aoe immobs is how i have fun. suck it up losers.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I loved the controller immobs because it made deciding which primary powers to skip in order to get tough/weave or whatever else really easy.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
If you hate any part of the Plant / Psi Dominator playstyle, we can't be friends.

AOE Confuse
Plant Tentacles
Piranha Plant Pet
Constant ... Incessant ... Screaming

These are the elements necessary for my enjoyment.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
(That was my first 50, and while it was really powerful, I got so tired of hearing the PBAOE scream attack.)

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

dexefiend posted:

Constant ... Incessant ... Screaming

Defender / corruptor and controller / dominator are my favorite class layouts in this game, generally. I've kind of gotten stuck on trying out ten billion variations of those things to find the character I want to take to max level.

My current favorite is my mind control / savage Dominator who's about to hit level 20. But this description is absolutely tempting me to spend tonight rolling yet another new dom instead of working on them. :allears:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
At least immobilizes don't shut off knockdown anymore.

Honestly I think they have their place, it's just like with rampant knockback it's a matter of understanding when and where to use them instead of mindlessly pressing buttons. All it takes is waiting 0.5 seconds for the tank to grab aggro and everyone's patch powers to go down and suddenly an AoE immobilize is an asset that prevents stuff from running away or getting accidentally scattered.

But instead there's always been a rash of wannabe Fire/Kin types who just spam theirs for damage. As the opening attack on a mob. And then promptly eat the entire alpha for it, never once learning to maybe not do that.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Flesh Forge posted:

Dang, Mids already updated to reflect the new powerset stuff :thumbsup:
e: the new Aresenal Control set seems super strong, especially Gas Canister (and forum people were freaking out about it not being any good)

tbf the set was pretty broken with how the sleep behaved early on in beta and that part didn't even set up Containment. Not to mention sleeps being super finnicky and fragile in team settings, and the entire set being patch based with no easy way to keep enemies inside the patches. They tried to introduce a "wet" mechanic for a random conditional immobilize on Liquid Nitrogen in response to feedback, but went far out of their way to twist logic so it only applied to powers that doms and trollers didn't natively have; acid, sleet, and bile are apparently not "wet" and wouldn't trigger it. Rather than elaborate, make it make sense, or just give it an immob like people wanted, they... refused to do any of that, refused to say what powers even applied "wet", claimed it was just for "flavor" to dodge complaints, compared it to Oil Slick which has infinitely more synergy and can be guaranteed no matter your power sets, and then just removed the mechanic entirely.

It was only the final release candidate that got the sleep reapplying and setting up Containment properly, and the lead powers guy came in at the end of the cycle to say "yeah we know it might not be great with Containment, we'll look at that and how sleeps work in general another time."

So I dunno, the people who frequent the forums are hosed and love to complain for the sake of complaints, but also the powers team seems equally hosed? You ask for an immobilize, you get the whole 'wet' saga in some form of malicious compliance.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

at least from my experience as a dark/rad controller there's a lot of other things you'd still rather be doing once the pack is centralized than dropping your immob. AoE holds will prevent runners and scatter and also, well, hold them instead of just immobing them. debuffs will speed up the pack clear and make it safer. in a fast group you often don't even have time to spin up all of the powers you really would like to use before the pack is dead, let alone the bottom of the list stuff like immobs. maybe this is a quirk of dark/rad and other set combos have less going on that requires active play such that you'd have time for the immob, i don't know - all i know is that it's so low on my priority list that i respecced out of the immob powers pretty quickly because they just weren't seeing use.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I mean, AoE holds almost universally have long cooldown times whereas AoE immobs are like, what 10 seconds? They also tend to have fairly fast cast times. If you're going so fast that tossing out a quick AoE immob is completely out of the question, then that'll equally apply to basically everything else. I do think /Rad also plays a part there, as you get bogged down popping RI and EF. Also Dark Control is a much more robust and well designed set compared to older ones.

I mean to be clear, I don't think that they're critical powers or skipping them entirely is wrong, it's just that folks have a tendency to leap from "these powers are sub-optimal or situational" straight to "these powers are a crime against humanity and nobody in the history of City of Heroes has ever needed to immobilize something anyway".

Edit: Also as usual it's also a question of what level, what team size, what content. I've been on insanely cranked teams before as a Controller where I maybe get to push one whole button per mob before it's dead. I've also been on goofy casual teams where everyone's just going at their own pace and I have reason to pop every single button at least once.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 2, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My experience is that a lot of players think immobs and knockbacks are "not that bad" because they're under the belief that they only penalize melee, without considering the fact that they also prevent AoEs from hitting the entire group which can effectively double your ttk and make the mission take twice as long because you now have to aoe down at least two separate packs of enemies per pull

But I also play this game in a very optimal way and understand not everyone does. I just don't like playing on groups that don't. I want my 30minute ITF runs not 50+ minute runs! And in that regard not having controllers/doms/MMs on teams at all is ideal because they all affect enemy positioning and prevent enemies from clumping up. Not that I strictly enforce team comp or anything but if I join a TF and see a lot of those ATs I peace out before it starts instead of complain about it. unless it's a goon group, because I expect us to all be terrible anyway demolish it anyway :colbert:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 2, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Abroham Lincoln posted:

So I dunno, the people who frequent the forums are hosed and love to complain for the sake of complaints, but also the powers team seems equally hosed? You ask for an immobilize, you get the whole 'wet' saga in some form of malicious compliance.

yeah this is a real problem with designing game mechanics by committee tbh, and while I'm glad the HC team has been fairly responsive to community feedback sometimes it's OK to just be all Iron Fist about this poo poo

John Murdoch posted:

I mean to be clear, I don't think that they're critical powers or skipping them entirely is wrong, it's just that folks have a tendency to leap from "these powers are sub-optimal or situational" straight to "these powers are a crime against humanity and nobody in the history of City of Heroes has ever needed to immobilize something anyway".

imo the concept of immobilize in general was a very basic iteration of the original Everquest style of "Root and Shoot" gameplay, because individual mobs' melee in that game was hard enough to wipe a party if you got more than single pulls and root/snare was almost a mandatory tool. Also in that game runners would pull other spawns back to the player team and having a runner was generally going to wipe the party too. I think the OG devs gave such prominence to these kinds of powers because it was expected.

COH never really lent itself to this concept at all with its much bigger spawn sizes and much friendlier combat balance, even back in the very old days when people would herd the entire map into a dumpster and kill it all at once prior to limits being put on that sort of thing. Even now players are generally pretty comfortable with crunching a lot of mobs into a small area and the best application for AOE immob these days is ironically keeping stuff from running away just for efficiency's sake, which is all I try to do with them at least.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 2, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It being a distillation of something from Everquest doesn't surprise me in the least.

Also another bonus to immobilize powers of any kind is that they often have a -Fly rider attached which again, isn't important most of the time, but goddamn is it amazing to have when it is relevant.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I mean I don't know it for a fact but it's a pretty reasonable assumption considering the timeline, and at the time it would have been a pretty reasonable design decision (a whole lot of players would have expected it)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Cryptic was literally shooting for "what if we took Everquest and combined it with Champions" so it fits.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
VARIABLE. POINT. POWER. POOL.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
All I know is when I'm solo on a squishy, AOE Immobs are the jam. They stop things from punching me in my face. I don't want to be hit in my face. But when teamed? Ew. I want to go all XBOX Live tweenager mode on someone.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suspect, but cannot prove, that this irritation is why they gave Teleportation its fifth power, Fold Space. Stuff is far from you and can't move? Now it's close to you and can't move.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

All I know is when I'm solo on a squishy, AOE Immobs are the jam. They stop things from punching me in my face. I don't want to be hit in my face. But when teamed? Ew. I want to go all XBOX Live tweenager mode on someone.

Likewise, sleeps are compete poo poo on a team, but when soloing they're great, especially since the duration is often nuts. The level 1 controller sleep takes a single target out for 55 seconds and recharges in 6 seconds.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the exception there is the more evolved form of sleeps like electric and arsenal's sleep patch, those are pretty great in teams.

Waffle Shake
Aug 24, 2015
Arsenal's sleep gas also seems to have been designed around procs so you can use it as an AoE attack if knocking dudes out isn't useful. The damage component is separate from the sleep cloud specifically so it will get the high proc chance of a long recharge attack power, rather than the low chance every 10 seconds for a pseudopet.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

A dangerous lack of respect for Warshades. Go ahead and poo poo on Peacebringers tho.

I'm getting a group of buddies into the game and VEATs failed to excite them because they're so much less gimmicky. Whereas saying Warshades turn into crazy bullshit with high APM moved the needle a little.

Also Khelds have massively superior story content.

Personally, I don't find myself playing either of them very often. Hate how clunky Khelds still are, hate how razor's edge and begging for IOs VEATs are.

As a devout warshade-only user since their release back in issue...4? I totally concur. Bit clunky but so, so satisfying to be the MFING WARSHADE NEED MORE BODIES

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

that entire blog post is the epic bacon time equivalent of "eclipse and sunless mire are pretty broken, you should focus on making the best possible use of those"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
It tried both flavors of khelds and realized I don't want to spend 450 million influence and spin that many plates for like, 20% better performance over just playing a Sentinel.