Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Fresh new thread and OP, yum. Gotta log back in to reserve names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

boxen posted:

Is there a costume option of the head of your character being a brain in a jar, Clockwork King style? I was fiddling around last night and couldn't find one, but I've seen at least one screenshot with that.

It's called Think Tank, but you have to fiddle with it because I think it defaults to an empty jar-helmet full of water. Maybe it's under full helmets or something, I don't remember, but one of my MMs has it. (It's only enabled on Homecoming that I know of though, I know reddit's i24 didn't have it working when I copied my handful of characters over for whenever I feel like trying i24 version of the game.)

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

mushroom_spore posted:

It's called Think Tank, but you have to fiddle with it because I think it defaults to an empty jar-helmet full of water. Maybe it's under full helmets or something, I don't remember, but one of my MMs has it. (It's only enabled on Homecoming that I know of though, I know reddit's i24 didn't have it working when I copied my handful of characters over for whenever I feel like trying i24 version of the game.)

I'm actually a huge fan of the empty tank of water. My friend made a plant/ice controller with a backstory that the character is a sentient pool of water/elemental given a robot body and its pissed at how the earth is degrading. I want to do something like that but haven't gotten any ideas. I did do a headless suit of armor but that ended up being less cool in practice than it was in my head.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Gynovore you really need to update your AV text! This game LIVES.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

mushroom_spore posted:

Ah, that explains it, I was on Pleiades when I was trying things out, they probably don't have it working yet.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Um actually if you ever listened to your police radio you would know Unbelievable Man's girlfriend is named Lois Watson and furthermore-
:goonsay:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Glazius posted:

Um actually if you ever listened to your police radio you would know Unbelievable Man's girlfriend is named Lois Watson and furthermore-
:goonsay:

That's his new girlfriend he met while he thought Dale was dead (the mourning period was brief).

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

boxen posted:

Is there a costume option of the head of your character being a brain in a jar, Clockwork King style? I was fiddling around last night and couldn't find one, but I've seen at least one screenshot with that.

Yep, totally is!

It comes without eyes, with eyes, and as a straight up empty tank like someone else mentioned.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Nehru the Damaja posted:

As long as we're spitballing powersets, I would kill to have an arcane powerset based on all the sentient spell stuff from Night Ward.

I'd really like to see some of the lesser-used, underperforming sets looked at.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Ghostpilot posted:

I'd really like to see some of the lesser-used, underperforming sets looked at.

If we end up with tools to modify powers, I'd love to un-nerf Rage, Energy Melee and give a bit of a buff to Trick Arrow. I'd say Regen too but I'm not sure how you'd fix Regen in the current state of the game beyond just un-doing the nerf and hoping for the best.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Willpower is kind of the fix to Regen in that it's very clearly a 2.0 design of the same set that doesn't have the "you're either invincible or you die instantly" problem of putting all your eggs in one basket so I have no idea what you'd do with the original one without making them even more samey

More buttons and working Absorb in maybe but that also kind of brushes up against Bio's gimmick

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Would Electric Armor go well with Titan Weapons? I can’t decide on scrapper, brute, or tank, either

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Tsurupettan posted:

If we end up with tools to modify powers, I'd love to un-nerf Rage, Energy Melee and give a bit of a buff to Trick Arrow. I'd say Regen too but I'm not sure how you'd fix Regen in the current state of the game beyond just un-doing the nerf and hoping for the best.

Trick Arrow is a set that would be okay if it had its numbers tweaked. I can't speak on Energy Melee and Regen, though.

The support sets are in a real weird place, though. Because Kinetics is so over-the-top bonkers in what it can do that bringing other sets to its level wouldn't be healthy, and it couldn't be brought down to the levels of others without rioting in the streets.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Ghostpilot posted:

Trick Arrow is a set that would be okay if it had its numbers tweaked. I can't speak on Energy Melee and Regen, though.

The support sets are in a real weird place, though. Because Kinetics is so over-the-top bonkers in what it can do that bringing other sets to its level wouldn't be healthy, and it couldn't be brought down to the levels of others without rioting in the streets.

EM just needs numbers fixes, tbh. They utterly hammered its numbers over time. Rage needs its crash reverted to what it was before Leo's group got to it.

Trick Arrow needs numbers and some minor functionality I think, I wrote a big rear end post on it in the old thread. Like the crash on EMP arrow, just why on earth.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So is there any kind of exodus happening from Indom to the goon server? I've really enjoyed playing on Indom and I've put enough work into my characters there that I'd rather not start over on a new server, but I'd rather start sooner than later if I'm soon not going to have many non-random people to play with.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Harrow posted:

So is there any kind of exodus happening from Indom to the goon server? I've really enjoyed playing on Indom and I've put enough work into my characters there that I'd rather not start over on a new server, but I'd rather start sooner than later if I'm soon not going to have many non-random people to play with.

I think I’ll mainly stay on indom. I don’t have the pub allergy many seem to suffer from and I’d rather have more people to group with. I’ll make a goontoon on our server for shits and giggles.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I have a really hard time imagining a goon server having enough population to really compete, and as others have said, CoX's pubbie community was generally pretty chill historically. I'll be rolling on Indom as soon as I can get the client downloaded and setup.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kaysette posted:

I think I’ll mainly stay on indom. I don’t have the pub allergy many seem to suffer from and I’d rather have more people to group with. I’ll make a goontoon on our server for shits and giggles.

Yeah, I've had a decent time with pubs I've grouped with on Indom, so I'm pretty happy staying there. Making a character on the goon server as a side thing would be fun, though.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

The goon server won't compete in raw population, but in the event the various Leo-run servers such as Homecoming have an apocalyptic meltdown, it will be here for you.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The pubs on Indom seem pretty nice. Logged on and people were going for the giant monsters in Croatoa so I joined in. We took down the pumpkin then the pumpkin and Jack, but didn’t get the badge for Jack. Left the group, then someone spotted Jack walking around by himself so invited everyone back together to the team. That was super nice, and we got the badge for Jack in that fight.

I guess when the pumpkin and Jack are fighting each other, it messes with the badge due to them damaging each other or something.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tsurupettan posted:

Changing Instant Healing to a timed toggle would be a step in the right direction IMO.

Maybe strip out the dumb "half of Integration's regen is unenhanceable" thing.

Maybe get crazy and toss in some kind of low %-based regen tick to Resilience.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 30, 2019

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

No offence intended to the goon server but the homecoming team have been doing an amazing job and they have made really positive changes to the game in the short term and look to have some really nice changes for the future. Plus having thousands of people to play with is nice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wasn't meaning to start any argument about goon server vs. Homecoming or anything! I was just wondering if the goons I've been enjoying playing with are moving over or mostly staying for now, that's all. I do think it's really cool that so many people, goons included, are able to set up their own servers and do their own experimentation.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

John Murdoch posted:

Changing Instant Healing to a timed toggle would be a step in the right direction IMO.

Maybe strip out the dumb "half of Integration's regen is unenhanceable" thing.

Maybe get crazy and toss in some kind of low %-based regen tick to Resilience.

Regen was nerfed so hard they didn't bother trying to fix it. We have Willpower, Bio Armor, and Radiation Armor now. Regen is dead.

What regen needed the most after those nerfs was giving it basically -recharge and -hp/s immunity. Which didn't happen. They gave us new sets instead.

hup posted:

Would Electric Armor go well with Titan Weapons? I can’t decide on scrapper, brute, or tank, either

My go-to "gently caress this, I'm not trying and everything dies NOW" toon is my TW/ELE Brute. Tanker won't kill anything. Scrapper will kill better but that 15% difference in resistance caps IS noticeable. Also, gently caress runners.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 30, 2019

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Harrow posted:

I wasn't meaning to start any argument about goon server vs. Homecoming or anything! I was just wondering if the goons I've been enjoying playing with are moving over or mostly staying for now, that's all. I do think it's really cool that so many people, goons included, are able to set up their own servers and do their own experimentation.

The fact that people have their hands on the actual server software from live is just wild to me.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 30, 2019

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Tommy 2.0 posted:

My go-to "gently caress this, I'm not trying and everything dies NOW" toon is my TW/ELE Brute. Tanker won't kill anything. Scrapper will kill better but that 15% difference in resistance caps IS noticeable. Also, gently caress runners.

Hell yeah

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Merilan posted:

Willpower is kind of the fix to Regen in that it's very clearly a 2.0 design of the same set that doesn't have the "you're either invincible or you die instantly" problem of putting all your eggs in one basket so I have no idea what you'd do with the original one without making them even more samey

More buttons and working Absorb in maybe but that also kind of brushes up against Bio's gimmick

Just change Instant Healing to what it used to be, a toggle that heals massively but also guzzles END. Lowbies can use it to keep safe but they have to stop attacking; 50s with tons of sets can run it all the time.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

hup posted:

Hell yeah. Titan is awesome beyond words, but it hits your END bar pretty hard, and it needs a lot of global recharge to be really awesome. Electric Armor gives you a passive 20% recharge bonus and keeps your END bar full in many ways. If Bio Armor didn't exist, Electric would be the hands-down best pairing.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

clone on the phone posted:

No offence intended to the goon server but the homecoming team have been doing an amazing job and they have made really positive changes to the game in the short term and look to have some really nice changes for the future. Plus having thousands of people to play with is nice.

the nice thing about all of the work and progress being shared is hypothetically any improvements or tools made would be open and available to anyone running a server, they have even said that each server should be set up a certain way so patches can trickle out to everyone the same way so there's not 20 different versions. whether or not this actually happens is up to the people running the show, but it's a nice thought.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Speaking of this, I had some weird pubbie give dumb advice about how 90% vs 75% resist "didn't matter for real content" or some inane garbage like that when I was giving build/archetype advice to pubbies. The man genuinely seemed to just ignore the fact that each % of defense/resist you get is worth more than the last because of what I presume is Scrapper-brain :psyduck:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
What are various goon opinions on the ranking of the Melee Sets; from 'Best Set Ever' to 'God drat, Does This Suck'?

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
I'd probably put Energy Melee at the bottom because it has no AOE and its Single Target is 'Decent' which is not ideal for a game where you often fight multiple foes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The one set I've seen people consistently say sucks is Broad Sword. For sets that everyone seems to agree are good, I know there's Street Justice, Super Strength, and Titan Weapon. Dual Blade is also apparently really powerful specifically if you ignore the combo system due to the, uh, haphazard way it was balanced back on live. Personally, I also have fun with Kinetic Melee (especially on a Stalker, due to its AoE critting 100% of the time when used from Hide) and Psionic Melee (though that's mostly because the animations rule).

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

if I just wanted to be OP Superstrength is my pick because Footstomp is just the most ridiculous power ever

i have a personal beef with TW in that it isn't compatible with flight but it's not a bad set by any means

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

hup posted:

Electric Armor is great for any end-heavy set (power sink is great), but works particularly well on any end-heavy set with a lot of soft control (like knockdown). My go-to is stone melee for Fault, but I could see it working really well with Titan Weapons.

Edit: I think regen's problem is the same as Empathy's perceived problem: making green numbers appear is reactive and doesn't do anything to mitigate alpha damage. If regen got a fairly early "eat (20%?) self damage for 2-3 purples worth of defense" on, say, Dull Pain's cooldown (instead of Dull Pain) to let the set tank an alpha while letting the regen actually do its job (and as sort-of a teaser for Moment of Glory) that might help it a lot. Also probably adding in better resistance (or immunity) to -regen and -healing effects.

VVV I could see that working too. It's a pity -end tends to be so bad against AVs, but for general soloing/teaming I can't see that performing badly.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 30, 2019

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Electric Armor is great for any end-heavy set (power sink is great), but works particularly well on any end-heavy set with a lot of soft control (like knockdown). My go-to is stone melee for Fault, but I could see it working really well with Titan Weapons.

Tempted to roll up an Elec/Elec sentinel. Short Circuit + Power Sink seems real nice.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I have an elec/elec dom that is just so fun. Great visuals and sounds.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I love my Elec/Bio stalker, but yeah, the times are few and far between where I get to go "Ha, and now the enemy can't do anything because they're out of endurance!" Would be nice if more of the powers absorbed it instead of just knocking it out, even though endurance is really not an issue with /bio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Oh my loving god in TYOOL 2019 I just rolled a new toon for the first time in like 10 years:

Sonic / Time blaster. Holy gently caress I don't how how many of these new character options were from the original game after my last time playing or added by the new devs but god drat there are so many new choices for everything.