Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

clone on the phone posted:

Isn’t that a bit risky? I admit I don’t know how the whole thing works but if I’m trying to get roughly a million for something and it ends up selling for a fraction of that I’d be super bummed.

Also, there's a 5% commission for selling things, but a 10% commission on profit above the listed number. So if you list an orange salvage for a million, you'll be charged 50,000, but if you list an orange for only 1, you'll be charged 100,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

clone on the phone posted:

I guess I don’t mind taking a hit on my first sale just to get some seed money to get me up and running.

Yeah, it's not so bad. Just don't go listing hundreds of enhancement converters at 1 each.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

the goon server would never be as big even if every goon played on it and brought 2 friends

Yeah, but man. The Hoi Palloi. The great unwashed. The pubstove. Before the servers opened up to the public I thought it'd be better to play on a tiny server with only relatively cool people, and exposure to the public has done nothing to disavow me of that opinion.

I'm gonna give the switch a shot. I was dubious until I found out they'd seeded the AH, which means gearing up won't be a joyless slog. Armiger Grundermann will probably be a proud 18th worlder.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

nerox posted:

If anyone has any tips for a better character description, let me know.

Well, if you want to call back to the classic, it should wind up being the origin story of a completely different super hero. Green Lantern, maybe?

Also it should borrow heavily from the storytelling traditions of whatever country made it. Mention his Chi Meridian Chakras getting opened, or that he was the fifteenth son of Vishnu who was later shot in an alley, or something.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

OgNar posted:

Just like how they just FIXED the merits going to everyone on the team when tip hunting.
Now only the person with the mission seems to get it. And I was having problems yesterday with my alignment going up when others were also doing Hero alignment.

What noooooooo

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

HPanda posted:

Just a little something special for all the villains who yell "It's [character name]!"

Best version of this remains Big Dick Energy. I went into the future with her, and Arachnos was very distraught.

"Oh no! It's Big Dick Energy!"

"Big Dick Energy was supposed to have disappeared twenty years ago!"

"Even if we die here, it will have been worth it if we destroy Big Dick Energy."

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
KO Blow with three knockback SOs would regularly stick enemies in the ceiling of sewer hallways. At that much knockback, it stops being a damage tool and starts being an impromptu hold. A little impractical--it's not hard to lose a boss in the pipes running along the ceiling, and if he's a kill target you have to figure out how to get up there and kill him.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Go to AE

Look up the mission Goony Goony Goon

Play it.

Don't.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Brave New World posted:

Is that so wrong?

Time will tell.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

World Famous W posted:

My corruptor that is secondary Storms should go all in and six slot knockback is what I'm hearing, right?

In case anyone doesn't know, you shouldn't slot a given stat more than three times. Slot some end reduction in there, too.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Bloodly posted:

There are HARSH diminishing effectiveness after three. People used to go all in on one or two things. So they introduced something to deal with it.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Enhancement_Diversification

The numbers mostly come up with Single Origin, because of how powerful they are.

I'm not entirely sure how it came up given you have 6 slots maximum for a power and you want damage/healing, accuracy if it requires it, -costs and recharge reduction. Something's got to either be weakened or dropped.

Invulnerability tanks used to six slot damage reduction. It was pretty trivial to hit 90% resist for everything except psychic, if you didn't mind not attacking much. Also you had six slotted +endurance stamina, which helped. Oh, and basically every defender had Accelerate Metabolism six slotted for recharge, which meant it was permanently up. So everyone had lots of endurance and recharge so they could slot more damage and run more toggles.

Kheldians were even more invincible than that, if you can believe it, but I didn't have a level 50 character before the hammer came down so I couldn't tell you how it worked.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

OgNar posted:

Did enhancement Sets come out before or at the same time as ED?
It seemed to me that they made it like you only had to put a few enhancements in your power now, but if you wanted all the cool buffs from the Set, then you still had to 5-6 slot it.
Which confused me.

After.

If you want maximum resist on a defensive set, that's four slots. Three resists or defenses, one endurance. Two more slots lets you also get the full six set bonus.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Glazius posted:

Also if people have architect questions I have architect answers.

Often in missions there are story beats where two enemies talk to each other and you can overhear them. Can you do that in architect?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The weirdest part of CoV to me, at least thinking about it now, is the idea that the villains just... have their own island chain? And the majority of their poo poo takes place there instead?

Like, "oh yeah, the Joker. He doesn't live in Gotham, doesn't do 99% of his crimes in Gotham, kinda doesn't even care about Gotham. But every now and again he shows up to rob a Gotham bank and punch Batman and then goes back to the Bahamas."

It makes absolutely no sense outside of it being easier for a videogame. And even then, that's dubious. How much more mileage could they have gotten out of letting villains share the Paragon zones and using the expansion to just add more? There's some neat poo poo in the Isles' lore and everything, but in retrospect it's a real bizarre choice. Was it all just for PvP? 'cuz man, that's hosed.

Period MMOs were defined by World of Warcraft. Horde and Alliance got their own zones, and when they were allowed to share that zone inevitably devolved into endless pvp, cough hillsbrad foothills cough. The modern solution would just be not let PCs get into stupid pointless brawls on the street, but then you'd have cops getting ganked by villians and so-called super heroes getting to just watch it happen, which isn't exactly the super hero fantasy anyone's signing up for.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

I ride bikes all day posted:

Can you even imagine the level of backlash if CoV came out and the core zones were the same zones but you can't see heroes?

The real problem: The fans all wanted something stupid.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Sidestep posted:

Someone talk to me about Sentinel.

Is it just blaster with scrapper secondaries?

Basically! It was added in the period the game was run in secret, by the fan admins.

Sentinels are considered slightly undertuned (don't do enough damage, aren't actually all that survivable) but if you want is a blaster that doesn't die when you look at it, well, there ya go.

(Play corruptor instead)

(Or play sentinels, they're basically fine, you didn't want to top the DPS charts anyway, they're not real)

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Tabletops posted:

i may give that a try. i was eying energy rifle? because that seems new to me. at least i don't remember it back in 2005 or whatever.

also what are these epic archetypes i read about on the wiki? https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Peacebringer and warbringer?

are these available on these servers or are they lost to time?

They're aliens of pure energy who are squids, merged with a human, to get a baffling array of powers.

They, and all other archetypes, are unlocked by default.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Platonicsolid posted:

Whoa, you can switch character models now?

On live there was an upgrade you could purchase that let you change models at certain costume designers. I think in the original it was only the body sculptors? But now it's any icon employee as well. You still can't do it at level trainers.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

xxEightxx posted:

What’s the general thought on travel powers, I think superleap was king for the defensive buff, everyone took ss because of haste. Also I don’t remember all the power pools having a fifth skill, any of them good?

You don't need to take a preliminary power any more. So you just grab Flight, and then also take Hasten or Combat Jump if you want them.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Crasical posted:

Game is good

EDIT: Also, check out the wild poo poo that /coxg/ is doing with their server. Level 1 pet access for domis, kheldians don't have to slot the individual attacks of their shapeshifted forms, gave super reflexes a PBAO attack
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/comments/cm0m2k/new_patch_notesmanifest_for_coxg_2aug2019/

This is some wild stuff.

quote:

Glinting Eye had its accuracy increased to 3x. Eye lasers should not miss (often).

It sure seems like a lot of effort is going into making the powersets distinct from one another, and that's radical.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Don't be afraid to play with the balance. Take the 60% of powersets that aren't the best at anything and just have fun with them.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Ramen Pride! posted:

I thought Willow saying "I doodle, you doodle, they doodle you doodle too!" was removed as the game patched over time?

Early aughts "no girls on the internet" poo poo.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Soonmot posted:

jesus gently caress, maybe I SHOULD do that. What other builds work for farming? If something clicks for me, I could give it a shot.

I thought you could fake it with Titan/Fire brute, but nooooooooo it doesn't really work at all.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

EclecticTastes posted:

Well, I can give it a shot, but I make no promises not to stare into the distance and sigh wistfully the whole time like the sad old man I am.

You can't go home again, I'm afraid.

You CAN make a colorful power ranger who commands plant monters.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Gynovore posted:

You have to remember, NCsoft is not a normal company. They had a product that was making them money, and would likely continue to make them money, and they shut it down. Some people offered them money to not shut it down, and then said no. Then after it closed, people offered them money for the code and rights, and they still said no. Heck, people offered them money for just the IP, and got shot down, even though NC did jack poo poo with it... oh wait, they used Statesman's image in a lovely MOBA that got closed fifteen minutes after launch. Not to mention that releasing a MOBA in 2018 is like throwing your money into a flaming sewage dumpster.

In short, NCsoft is not a sane or rational company and should not be expected to act rationally.

Modern online games are entirely based on bilking whales for vast sums of money. CoH tried that.... but you can't sell skins in a game where everyone looks unique. You can't sell stat modifiers when no one can see your sick numbers. And the costume pieces were thin on the ground compared to the huge existing costume library.

There were no opportunities for growth, and anyone playing CoH wasn't playing one of NCSoft's other games, all of which are more aggressively monetized. You can be sad they axed a good game people enjoyed playing, but they don't care about people having fun. Why would they? They're a corporation.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Specifically, fire enemies... enemies who have fire type attacks tend not to have mixed damage types, while most other attacks involve multiple types... ice attacks tend to involve both smashing and cold type damage, for example. Also fire resist powers give a relatively large amount of fire resist, because it's a relatively rare damage type. So if you make a dedicated character for it, you can have a character nearly immune to huge armies of fire enemies you'll only encounter in a Mission Architect mission, who is completely useless for any other content in the game, who only exists to power level other characters.

A truly joyless play experience.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Smashing Link posted:

Can anyone suggest a good primary for an X/Psionic tanker?

Good at what? If it's just being invulnerable, Invulnerability will do ya. Various enhancement power sets will augment your average defenses, while your overwhelming resistance will be good already.

If it's a theme thing, Willpower/Psionic feels like a good thematic link, and Willpower's a reliable set even before you start pouring billions into it. And Super Reflexes is a budget superstar without any expensive enhancements if you just take all the powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Ironslave posted:

It's been a while since I played, they added character-specific unlockable costume pieces?

A few. Capes, once upon a time. A witch hat you got for defeating a short witch task force nine times. A bunch were for characters who had started incarnate stuff, so they could be beings of pure energy or whatever.

The current version just leaves everything unlocked for everyone.