Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

tooterfish posted:

I don't think I've had anything but positive experiences with CoX pubbies. Either now, or when I played in the past. It's got to be the most pug friendly game I've ever played, even when everything goes wrong it still manages to be fun and people seem to stay good humoured.

Not saying the crazy isn't out there, and maybe I've been lucky so far... but it's not like there's ever been a shortage of loving weirdo goons either.

Same. I've done more content than 99% of goons and I don't think I've experienced a single toxic rear end in a top hat.

Most people are either dead silent, extremely normal, or precious little cinnamon buns like Bento Box :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeah, lego.

It looks like we've reached the tyrannical despot phase of balance changes. Guess I'll be deleting those characters sooner rather than later.

Tyrannical despot? This just means people don’t have to pussy foot around six slotting tactics and putting a kismet in something in order for snipes to be worth using.

Seems like a nice quality of life change. Literally the only reason the To Hit requirement even existed was to indirectly buff Devices to be more attractive.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dosvidanya posted:

not to mention it helps out leandro's pet class The Sentinel

You mean the one that doesn’t have snipes?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Merilan posted:

Huh, I didn't know that. It always seemed like "THE BANK IS BEING ROBBED" basically triggered immediately and you had to gun for it or fail. It might be the 250 ft. radius in live doing that, though

Yeah on Homecoming Safeguard missions are pretty much fine. The robbery doesn’t start til you get pretty close so they’re not ridiculously punishing like they were on live.

Some of the Safefuard mission maps, like Talos I wanna say, start you off already within 250 yds.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gynovore posted:

IMHO Poison isn't horrible. Problem is, it's main shtick is debuffing AVs, which Cold and Radiation both do better, and do other stuff too.

Envenom stacks with itself.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yeah Dwarf Mire only lasts 10 seconds, so if you account for animation times double Mire doesn't even really last long enough to be worth the effort.

It's a shame honestly. Triform Warshade was cool and good.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Harrow posted:

How bad of an idea is trying to make a human-only Peacebringer? Because I made a dope costume for mine and I want to play as that guy instead of a glowing space squid. Or is that just missing the point of making a PB in the first place?

Sonic probably isn't great on a Blaster. On a Defender, though, where damage isn't your main job, its built-in -res debuffs are amazing to boost your team's damage.

Human only PB is the objectively superior PB build at 50 with IOs and Incarnating. Triform is better until then.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Thundarr posted:

^^^ I have to admit, enemies getting angry at you a good two seconds before Ion vaporizes them is kind of annoying.

I just want to know what they were thinking when they made Vorpal Judgment. Not so much the smashing / lethal part (though that's still pretty lol compared to the others for damage type) but the non-targeted cone part.

Probably "this loving rules", because it does.

As an indestructible PB firing off a quick phantom kick and hitting a billion dudes in a five mile radius is the best. COME TO ME ALL OF YOU.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Two quick questions: Are the Purple recipes still a pain to get, or is there a sane way to get them that doesn't involve fire farming and buying them from the market? And are they still worth going after with the other IO sets out there?

You can fire farm but just do content and turn merits into converters, sell them, and buy what you need tbh. Purples are not a big deal.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Potsticker posted:

???
Warshades used to outperform PBs by quite a bit. Once dwarf mire got nerfed, now they look really similar to PBs in the end game with how they're best at being humanform only. Both still want to be triform while levelling. Warshades are still really good, don't get me wrong. The main difference is PBs have a lot of knockback that needs to be converted to knock up (or not) and WSs draw on enemies around them to power up.

All of this is correct. At 50 with Incarnates and IOs, multiforming isn't really worth the effort for either Kheldian.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I haven't done any grouping yet, no. I tend to be a very solitary player, and a casual single-player experience (that happens to have other people around) is what I was hoping for. I do enjoy playing a support role in groups, but CoH doesn't have the tools to easily drop into group content that WoW and FF14 have that make grouping in those games tolerable for me (and even then, not something I do much in WoW especially unless it's finishing a zone story ending in a dungeon).

This isn't really what CoX is I'm afraid, and you'll be disappointed if that's what you're looking for. The majority of the appeal of CoX is manic grouping. 8 man groups where the particles effects fly freely and mobs are getting dunked on en masse superheroically. One of the most effective ways to enjoy the story in this game is to group incessantly to 50, and then level sync down to do stories when the mood takes you.

It's not impossible to enjoy solo content in this game but from what you've described you're probably gonna have a fairly bad time overall.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Jazerus posted:

who on earth thought that a hollows trial for a new generation was a good idea

It’s super easy. It’s content designed for like 24 people which is more than enough to cover 6 spawn points for five minutes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

1. I wholesale do not like the incarnate system, and don't actually want to use it
2. have never, ever reached level 50 in this game. the middle part is the fun part, to me
3. if a character has a problem that can only be fixed by the incarnate system, then that character is going to suck until the game is over
4. stop doing this, it makes it really hard to get advice I can actually use

so based on wiki browsing, it looks like the proc part of a set doesn't actually give a poo poo what level it is? like, the parts that actually have numbers to scale, those scale based on the level they're crafted at, but the proc doesn't? can you get set bonuses out of a level 10 and three level 30s or whatever?

Man if you don't want to use Incarnate stuff, say that the first time, don't be a pissy weirdo when you phrase it as an accessibility issue and people point out why that doesn't check out :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Impermanent posted:

Do I have to build a blaster to farm if I want to do end game content? I'm interested in the heavy CC builds more and I don't want ot be screwed if I jinvest in that.

Also is there a melee CC archetype?

I shepherded goons through the hardest content in the game using arguably one of the worst ATs in the game (Peacebringer), and did not at any point need a farm build to roid that Peacebringer out to the nines with set enhancements.

Do what you want, be free. It'll be fine. If CC is what you're into you probably want a Dominator, perma-Dom is ridiculous.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

yeah the whole stance-dancing thing where you flip between forms stacking buffs and then blasting away in Nova is not very practical before you get Eclipse, in my experience. you need Eclipse to not just instantly melt as a nova. before then, you're soloing as a Dwarf, or grouping as a Nova

From what I understand even Warshades are better off going human form only at the top end? Triform was only good when double Mire was a thing, which it’s not anymore, so they’re pretty much in the same boat as Peacebringers.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I think if they were gonna DMCA Homecoming they would have done it by now but who knows. NCSoft is not the most rational actor.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Regen is objectively not a good set, but with enough effort put into enhancements and a good team I have seen Regen scrappers succeed in the most difficult content the game has to offer.

Don’t let your superhero memes be dreams.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Even as a Peacebringer I was able to hit pretty high quantities of PSI resist just monkeying around with set IO bonuses and uniques without compromising the rest of the build.

I imagine anything with a smidge of baseline psi defenses can do the job.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Has anyone had lot of luck running a corrupter using one of the more aggressive or non-healing secondary skillets? Been thinking about making like a radiation / sonic corrupter or something of that nature.

That's generally the ideal way to Corrupt yes. Nobody plays Corruptors for healing, they play them for a combination of damage and support. /Radiation for example is extremely well liked for Accelerate Metabolism and whatnot.

Dunno about /Sonic specifically but the ideal Corruptor is a force multiplier on Murdering Dudes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fire/Dark Corr is a classic for good reason. Good damage and debuffing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

My general theory for IOs tends to be obsessively tinkering in Mid's for months with field testing in Incarnate trials causing me to revise and refresh until every iota of performance has been squeezed from the stone :byodood:

(Listen to the others they have better general advice)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Unless I'm remembering totally wrong that AT does exist...just not on Homecoming. IIRC, the person in charge of hashing it out jumped ship to a different public server cluster or the work was abandoned and then picked back up by said server? No idea on any of the details beyond that though.

TBH, I feel like the idea that everyone can take care of themselves at endgame is a bit overblown. Granted, Destiny powers alone break things open a lot more, but I've always been wary of people who go to extremes and claim Force Field is bad because at level 50 everyone's already soft-capped. (And, y'know, not the more obvious and tangible reasons why FF is a mediocre set.)

Dark Miasma will literally never not be relevant though. It brings just about everything to the table you could ever hope for.

Nthing this. Like, obviously I’m a bit out of date but in my experience running Parhelion raids, like easily 40-50% of the people I brought along were not as badass as you or they thought they were. Buffs were making a difference. Buffers and debuffers are important and credit to team. They help us let the Robins feel like Batmans :911:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I’ll see if I can dump Parhelion’s builds into a link for people when I finish driving cross country. Both his Human form build and Triform performed at the Itrial/Really Hard Way level so they should be decent enough.

I will warn that Triform is mostly, well, not very good on Peacebringer even with the best of intentions and IOs. It can do alright but it’s a lot of work for modest returns. The important cooldowns that can only be activated in Human form are the big nuisance.

On the flip side though Triform is EXCELLENT for doing any content where you’re Exemplared down with folks, and conversely Human form only really shines at 50.

TL;DR here is even as a human form main I ended up using both situationally. I sometimes needed to use Triform for tricky Itrial achievements for folks.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

This is a dumb change that is going to gently caress over the common S/L/E resist strat and just make things pointlessly harder for more casual players. This won't affect me one iota and I still hope they reconsider this deeply stupid idea.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Jazerus posted:

maybe it's just because i mostly stopped playing CoH long before it closed, but my experience on homecoming has been pretty weird in terms of the extreme level of player power compared to the first three years of the game's life. i'm totally unsurprised that the devs want to find interesting ways to pull back on some of it and it was always kind of weird that you could just kit out for s/l/e and be fine against exotic attacks. i suspect they'll need to do some serious revision of defensive powers so that some powersets aren't completely helpless in certain situations, though

It's because you stopped playing CoH long before it closed. We were absolutely just as busted back in the day.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

In other words there was basically no downside to the ploy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Jazerus posted:

the advanced difficulty dr. aeon TF is actually really cool and shouldn't be skipped out on, advanced difficulty ITF is a pain though.

Had the exact opposite experience personally. I enjoy normal Dr. Aeon TF but on 4* it really feels like it overstays its welcome. Drags on too much even with skips.

ITF is a much more enjoyable pace.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

black and white proof that a lot of the OG dev ideas were legitimately really bad lol

Having seen that kind of ~~~ ENDGAME ~~~ progression system by Cryptic more fully fleshed out in Neverwinter, good loving god it sucks so hard. They literally sell players the right to skip each gear score/content plateau for $50 bucks per character. This translates to roughly two months of time-gated relentless grind per content plateau if you don't buy the skip. While the content is all reasonably OK by MMO standards (it's voiced competently, there's some variety in tasks etc) each of these plateaus has to be done in order. No incentive for anyone to team any of these activities either, in general the prospects for group play are pretty awful because players are spread out through these content/gear score tiers.

I’m on the other end of the spectrum. I look at their stated plans for Even More Incarnate stuff and nod and say “yeah that’s probably the right call”. City of Heroes was already basically Warframe-esque in terms of appealing to the player to break the game their PREFERRED way. Why not lean into that? It’s worked before (in the future as of the game’s shutdown though).

Pure power fantasy dynasty warriors can indeed work.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The thing about CoH's ATs is that niches are very fluid and the game doesn't really require optimal team compositions since every AT is fairly self sufficient to begin with and when you group up it's just a huge force multiplier. People play Sents because they're blasters that trade DPS for survivability, which makes them easier to solo with. Only the most tryhard teams are going to kick someone for not being the "correct" AT.

4* HMs are the only acceptable venue for fussing about compositin. Everywhere else:

Lol lmao

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Crust First posted:

gently caress NCSoft though? Still feels like a weird flex/power grab from Homecoming team, hoping to strangle out the competition.

Strangle out what competition, and what about the situation of said ‘competition’ has changed

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

That's really sort of the opposite of the experience I have with those sorts of parties - the player-based buffs feel useless in them because the players don't need any buffs to be incarnate gods, but the enemy-based debuffs provide very strong things that those players can't easily work into their builds such as -res and -regen, which are two of the biggest things you can do to improve a team like that's efficiency against AVs, making them some of the strongest debuffs in the game. especially in TFs with tanky AVs you have to fight like Tinpex or ITF.

But that is overall a pretty big problem with CoX as a whole - the power scaling on the high end is so strong that in true high-end parties, brutes/tanks/blasters are the only "really good" classes, things like controllers/doms become mostly useless, and defenders get relegated to "debuff enemy regen or max HP". But you can do hardmode TFs that remove IO set bonuses and incarnate powers if you want to play a version of CoX where every AT is useful.

IME parties like that aren't the majority unless you explicitly try to put them together that way though. They're common for Tinpex but not most of the other stuff I do.

On the flip side the tippy top end of 4 stars, whether you can win or not is almost entirely defined by how many and what kind of defenders (it's Cold Dom and Force Fields. You want Cold Dom and Force Fields) you have so

There is some variance.

But really for 99.999% of content anything can be juiced to be an overpowered demigod. I promise. I do it all the time as a Peacebringer, my AT is bad and I should feel bad I can still do it.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 29, 2024

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

FooF posted:

Absolutely: Kheldians were originally intended to be the ultimate teammates. Peacebringers were there to supplement anything the team lacked and Warshades complemented anything the team already had.

To respond to the individual questions:
- No mez holes to speak of. Light Form provides something like Mag 4 resistance, which doesn't seem like a lot but I can't remember the last time I was held. If you are held, you just switch to Dwarf for the Mag 30 or whatever resistance.
- You have a modest self-heal in Human (~50%), a Dull Pain analog, and a stronger self-heal in Dwarf (65%). Because of global recharge and Hasten, I think my regular self heal has like a 15 second downtime, Dwarf's is like 20 seconds. Between the two, one is almost always up. I also have Conserve Energy which is a 50% endurance reduction click power that has about 50% uptime without slotting it.
- Nukes: yes, Human form can Dawn Strike (about every 40 seconds) and Photon Seekers (every 60 seconds) at point blank range does about the same damage albeit in a tighter radius. You also get the equivalent of Foot Stomp in Solar Flare.
- Team Benefit: outside of Leadership skills, not really. There's a single-target heal that I skipped and terrible area stun that I also skipped.
- Light Form gives you 52.5% resist to everything but Psi, a 30% endurance boost that's better than Stamina, and the aforementioned Mez resist. It's also a click power so it can't get toggled off.
- Yes, it's not great against hard targets. Your single-target chain is only 3 attacks.
- Funnily enough, Quantum/Void enemies aren't kryptonite. Early on, their attacks mez you but the damage itself isn't so bad. Once you get Dwarf and Light Form, they're nothing special.

I have all 3 forms but I generally only use 2. Human form for all the PBAoEs and single target damage, Nova for ranged (because it literally does twice the damage). Since Light Form and click powers carry over into the other forms, Nova Form is a mini-Blaster with 85% resistances and limitless endurance. You do have to drop back into Human to re-up Light Form but you get used to it. The Light Form crash is 50% Health/Endurance but the self-heals take care of it instantly.

The only thing that really makes it team unfriendly is Knockback. Most of the bigger attacks cause it but there is a Knockdown IO you can slot to make it so everything stays put.

Yeah you just slot the knockback into knockdown IOs. It’s great. The handwringing over Kheldians is very outdated info. They’re fine, not optimal but fine.

I’ve handily crushed my way through everything in this game up to and including 4* content and tanked the Vanguard in 4* Aeon as a human form only Peacebringer.

I generally feel that Peacebringer is a better fit to harder content than Warshade and is a more consistent performer. The highs are very high on Warshade but you will eat poo poo sometimes and there will be very little you can do about it.

Believe in yourself heroes. Or believe in your IO budget, whichever. :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Anti-Matter didn’t even really go out “heroically”. Just…spitefully, in a way that happened to be directed at a worse rear end in a top hat than him. Which was very entertaining mind you.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I think Praetoria is pretty clear that Dominatrix is the furthest thing possible from a master manipulator, and is just kinda failing upwards and laterally.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

MechaCrash posted:

Brutes also get a full meter from Frenzy, the Villain alignment power.

Heroes get Call to Justice, which is a PBAOE Build Up, and that's nice for Masterminds.

Call to Justice Heromind just makes me think Mercenaries and macroing “Yo Joe!” every time you Call to Justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

That pretty much sums up Discord in general

It really really isn’t on a normal server lol.