Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I would like to play a Tank to play with my friends, mainly because I just want to herd and stand there and let my buddies who have less experience with the game have fun beating up baddies without me dominating each fight. What's the current thinking on the tankiest powerset that just stands there and holds aggro? I have already done the whole Stone Armour thing back on live - is that still the most lazy tank set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Merilan posted:

I'm finding Willpower to kinda have trouble holding aggro with just its aura compared to other sets, so it might not be the "laziest" in terms of stickiness; something with a damage aura and AoE attacks (like Shield) would have an easier time of it, I think.

Wait, Shield has a damage aura now?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Both a damage aura and a taunt aura? That's just Dark and Ice, right?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Dareon posted:

Now I feel like advertising my Mercs/Emp MM The Legendary Vic Goss in LFT and pissing off every one of those people by only healing my pets.

Put together a team of empathy characters and one pubbie, where everyone just spends all their effort buffing and healing your pets.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

...Now I want to see the absolute worst build at 50, with all slots having enhancements in them. Presumably you want to full slot Rest and Sprint for a start, but what AT and sets would lead to the worst?

And then the worst 8 team up and see how far they can go.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Gynovore posted:

Never played mercs, but from what I've heard, they're extremely mediocre. Damage isn't amazing, they're not especially sturdy, they have no mezzes or debuffs, and Serum is terribad.

I played Mercs, and pretty much this. Especially about Serum.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

LordSaturn posted:

by all accounts Matt Positron Miller really assumed that everyone was waiting on them to start setting up epic raids and progression ladders, for some reason

It is so mind-boggling to go back and read his posts to just see how completely he misread the primary appeal of the game he was lead developer for. CoX was unbeatable as a dolly dress-up game that allowed you to create characters of quite different genres, and gave you space for a long name with variations in capitalisation snd spaces, with titles. Of course people were going to be drawn to trying out different combos of powers and outfits, not to mention hilarious gag names. No one really wanted the heavy end content gearing and raiding, not when your brilliant idea for a Street Justice Stalker with the vampire face and cape but in those boxing shorts and gloves called Count Punchula is just begging to be made.

How you could think this game was for people to play super seriously with just one character was bafflingly odd.

e: Count Punchula was my last great gasp on live. Such a great look and his bio read something like, "A suspiciously long-lived aristocrat with an unquenchable and unholy lust for punching"

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Awwww, I love the little hands holding the spare mag.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Jazerus posted:

ncsoft is manifestly a normal company in this regard

see extremely normal company disney and their brutal butchering of marvel heroes

Oh, was Marvel Heroes subscription-based?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

The day Instant Healing became a click power and a glorified Dull Pain is when Regen died as a set.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Ziddar posted:

Way back in the day, before ED and the hits to Regen, the powerset pretty much had 2 states: topped off and dead. I felt invincible as DM/Regen unless something hit me so hard that I lost like 95% of my health in one shot. It was simply unreal how fast you healed with everything toggled on.

Yeah, it was basically "Is there an Alpha strike? No? Okay, I'll tank everything."

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

All they had to do was fudge the numbrrs a bit so the heal wasn't so overwhelming, or make the power at least be once every second fight in terms of cooldown instead of ridiculously long and Instant Healing would still be a fine capstone to make Regen almost worth it. I have no idea why they nerfed it as much as they did.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Section Z posted:

I never won a costume contest, but I did get into a zero stakes robots MM vs ninja MM minion emote dance off with a fellow loser way back when live was going.

God, MM can be such a pain to wrangle but the fact you can literally order your pet army to dance and other bullshit is fairly unique as far as I know.

If they'd let us use the costume creator to customise the pets I would never have had another character.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Un-nerf Regen!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Just got to remember that right from the beginning CoH was designed for team play, and has numerous ways of making that as easy as possible that even modern MMOs don't come close to matching.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Coward posted:

Un-nerf Regen!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Abroham Lincoln posted:

As long as you're having fun there really aren't any wrong choices. Except making a Regeneration character. That's a wrong choice.

:negative:
Un-nerf Regen!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Gynovore posted:

Ya know what really loving irks me about Regen? They could make the power level just right by doing one tiny little thing... turning Instant Healing back into an unlimited duration toggle like it was at launch. It would take about four minutes of coding, tops.

:emptyquote:

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Opinions on SJ for Stalkers?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I personally dislike basically all the IO set nonsense and 50+ content. They feel really divorced from what I saw as the main game - a dolly dress-up simulator which included punching. Yes, I played through a lot of the same content over and over, but I was a playing a different dolly with different fists. End game content was making a new character, and that was more than enough for me.

Admittedly most of the times I was doing the same content I was taking different groups of people I had introduced to the game through their first times seeing the content so that might have made a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

loving hell. I remember on live getting pissed off with smug idiots spamming AoE immobs that ruined everyone else's fun.