Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
The goons that want to segregate themselves from normal players are the real weirdos. This is CoX, a game that's famous for having a chill, awesome player base. A Goon only server is going to fizzle out like a wet fart when you don't have enough people to regularly run iTrials.

Thundarr posted:

I literally turned xp off just so I could run everything. On the other hand, so many merits.

The absolute worst part of Tilman's missions was capturing Beholder though, since you aren't given the option to let her go. You straight up have to send her back to mind slavery in order to continue the Responsibility story. I hear that in the incarnate trials you make MM super extra dead and all I can say is good.

I too had to turn off XP gain so I could finish the Praetoria poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Merilan posted:

i remember champions online's big thing they advertised was "ooh look at how robust our character creator is you can make gorillas!"

that was like the only thing that was noteworthy about the char creator lol

I'm in hard disagreement with this. CO's character creation and CoX's seem to perfectly overlap with each other's strengths and weaknesses. There are things I want to do in each game that I can't, but can do perfectly in the other. Overall, CoX's is easier to work with, but CO's has more potential variety(especially with faces).

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
FWIW, my Staff/WP Brute seems just fine. I'm not really seeing the complaints. It's a really fun set to play.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

^^Normal defensive toggles cost way less end than that. Damage auras are 0.52/s which is why I singled them out. A bunch of various powerful debuff toggles cost the same, though I suppose you're not necessarily keeping them on at all times.

Actually, since we're on the subject and it's been gnawing at me for the last couple of days: What are ya'll's preferred way to slot out stuff while leveling? I know the endpoint most powers should be at and obviously endgame builds are their own thing, but what do you prioritize from let's say 1-30? Do you get your defenses kitted out ASAP? Do you go straight through 1 ACC -> 3 DMG -> whatever else on attacks?

I always find myself in odd places in the 20s where most of my slots are spent slowly filling out my damage because I've spent them on other stuff first and I never quite figured out if that's fine or I'm actually hurting myself because the extra DPS I'd get out of going damage first would negate any losses on survivability thanks to killing faster (and similarly save endurance because of the higher efficiency per point spent). Thoughts?

I've always agreed with the idea of first slotting 2 Accs in your attacks, because doing any damage is preferable to missing, and that little bit of extra efficiency helps you to save on End. I don't worry about slotting defenses with anything other than End enhancements in the early part of the game. Almost every toon gets 3 slots in Stamina ASAP.

Even a Tanker shouldn't worry about slotting defenses early on. Attacks only.

clone on the phone posted:

Thanks Tommy, I tried out TW and haha its a bit bonkers on the damage and cleave.
Watch out on teams. You can sometimes feel like you're contributing nothing at all due to the animation speeds if everyone else has the spawn dead before your attack has even fired- that's how Posi 1 & 2 went for me. Got mine up to 29 running Synapse last night, and the animations were less of a problem than they were on my Posi runs. WP's Quick Recovery was a massive game changer for me.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
IMO, the best way to level Blueside is to run DFB until 8-10, and then start running Task Forces with other people. You can easily make it to 50 without ever running solo if you want. I do a mix of solo and team play, but teaming is the game's primary(and best) focus.

Villain Mayhem Missions are waaaay better than the Hero bank missions. In the Villain version, you add time to the clock by blowing up almost literally everything on the street: cars, payphones, parking meters, etc. They're also harder. If you die, you wake up in jail and have to fight our way out.

Make sure that you do these TFs at some point in your toon's career, so you can get the accolade that grants a permanent +5% health:
https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Task_Force_Commander_Badge

If you get the exploration badge from every Mayhem Mission, you get a permanent +5% health:
https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Invader_Badge

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Merilan posted:

you know that made me realise you literally couldn't make a swords and guns character for all of coh live

and by how melee sets worked you couldn't make a stalker with a pistol either, conversely

You just reminded me about something I had completely forgotten about. Near the end, we had a ton of recipes for limited use stuff like guns and baseball bats. Are those even a thing on Homecoming? I haven't seen a single one drop yet. If they're available, you could keep remaking those guns whenever you use one up.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Abroham Lincoln posted:

... but you've got stuff like the venom dagger that kills regen so you can solo AVs...

That's right! That one was actually useful!

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

khy posted:

So FYI there's been some INTERNET DRAMA with the Pleiades/Reborn server.

I don't know the details so take this with a grain of salt, but from what I've heard the guy with the server hardware has a disagreement with the GM team, and that has resulted in the server's hardware being taken down. There's rumors about what the disagreement was about, but that seems irrelevant - the main takeaway is that the servers are down or are going down.

I'm sure that plenty of people are going to have a ton of fun on tiny private servers(Goon server, etc), but I bet Homecoming is the only big name that's going to be in it for the long haul. As long as NCsoft's legal dept maintains it's continued silence, I really get the feeling that Homecoming is going to be around for a good while, and likely with a minimal amount of drama. *Fingers Crossed*

Sure, I'm still a little mad at Leandro & Co for the sustained gaslighting, but every other server seems to be amateur hour by comparison. I just want to play CoX with a few thousand other people who aren't literal nazis. That's exactly what I've got atm, and I'm happier than a pig in poo poo over it. Is that so wrong?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Turtle Sandbox posted:

How important is having "good" powersets for the endgame, have a few chars id like to take to 50 and do some endgame stuff but im always worried im shooting myself in the foot and cant find good info on game balance.

I have an ice/thorns defender and am enjoying it but dont want to block myself from high end content by picking a set the community views as weak and would prefer not to take to group content.

Free yourself from the WoW mindset(and that's coming from someone that likes WoW). No one is going to go all elitist on you over your powersets in an Incarnate Trial. Nobody cares what secondary a Defender has(they may actually be the AT with the least relevant secondary). The biggest concerns are knockback and support toons that refuse to buff.

I mentioned it before in this thread, but I find it hilarious when people advertise their powersets in LFG. We're just looking for a warm body to fill a slot. "I'm looking for a team. My qualifications are that I have hands and I'm not legally blind".

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 10, 2019

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I email all wakies to my global. Granted, that probably doesn't help if you're a farmer hell bent on maximizing Time::Efficiency, but it works great for me.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Thank you, goons, who helped me in Discord the other day, but the code and write stuff needed to get this game and the launcher up and running are not for me. I was under the impression it would be really simple to install and get running.

Oh well, thanks regardless.

Are you trying to set up your own private server? Setting that up might be hard, but DLing/playing on Homecoming is super easy.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

site posted:

Maybe I'll give it a shot when i can move up to lvl35 enhancements, but for now I'm finding not waiting around on cooldowns for basic attacks is making it actually fun to play

And that's why I always load up on Vet reward attacks from the P2W vendor. Stuff like Blackwand, Nemesis Staff and Sands of Mu help to make up for the lack of +Rec early on.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

On Indomitable? Hmmm...

OK, looks like I'm not really doing anything with that name. What's your global? I'll free it up next time I see you in channel.

Wait a second, I thought Homecoming set it up so that names are potentially stealable after a certain number of days based on level. A level 2 would be free after 30 days IIRC. What gives?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Rikti Raids are still like that even on newer computers?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
So I got this crazy idea to try out Kinetic Melee, and I'm even thinking about doing it on one of my least favorite ATs: Scrapper. What I'm hearing about KM on Scrappers doesn't sound too good, but KM might be good on Stalkers(which doesn't fit my theme very well). Has anyone around here tried KM on a Brute?

I'm thinking about pairing it with Eng, Ele, or Rad.

Any thoughts on Kinetic Melee in general?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

HPanda posted:

This is gonna sound pretty weird, but what about a stalker who doesn't hide? After the changes to stalkers, that actually seems fairly feasible. Without stealth, they're basically scrappers with a bit more burstiness and a bit less survivability. Unless your character concept needs to be tougher, I guess.
Just playing a Scrapper instead of a Brute(for once) is enough of a compromise WRT toughness. I really don't want to gently caress around with any extra mechanics like stealth on this toon, I'm just looking for a simple face-punching experience.

I had a 50 Claws/SR that was one of my mains at shutdown, so I know Stalkers well enough to know that they're not my first choice for this CC, but we'll see.

I AM THE MOON posted:

this is basically how kin stalker plays. you do a huge aoe burst opener then only slip back into hide for a split second before AOEing back out of it

there's not really a lot of "assassination" gameplay like most people think of when they think of stalker. you're basically a scrapper with benefits tbh
So you've actually played a Kin Stalker? What're your overall thoughts?

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 5, 2019

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
poo poo, I have a whopping 14 characters, and 3 of them are "abandoned with a crappy name change so I could reroll a slightly different toon with the good name".

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Soonmot posted:

Golden Girl alt account found
:cawg:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

Has the population gone down? I see like half as many goons on these days and I can't seem to get a group past prime time anymore.

Yes. I was away for a few weeks, and came back to an obviously smaller number of people on Everlasting(which is usually #2). I can still get groups, but they usually fill in 5-10 minutes instead of 1-5.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
And in 10 days, some of us are going back to Azeroth for a few months. :orks101:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
To be clear, I'm definitely going to be returning to CoX, and will probably be pretty anxious to do so once I've had my fill of Vanilla WoW. So I guess I'm in a slightly different category here. :shrug:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Dareon posted:

I never had the chance to play back on live, so I'm really enjoying this. I can tell that the game is showing its age (One of the Faultline quests has a loving Leeroy Jenkins joke in it), but the core gameplay loop is still engaging.

I play for an hour or two a night, down from 6 to ten in my early binge period. My main problem is a mild social anxiety that keeps me from grouping. Even with goons, I just feel wrong about asking to group up. I should just turn on LFG and play as normal until someone else invites me.

Roll on one of the Homecoming servers and keep scanning LFG for teams forming for Task Forces and poo poo. This isn't WoW- People here are actually friendly and helpful!

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Doon posted:

So I had a dumb idea and made a plant/thermal controller...

Also check out Plant/Fire Dominators for both better controls and good DPS. :drugnerd:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
lol you guys enjoying blowjobs are a bunch of cucks, now excuse me while i go punch myself in the face repeatedly :shrek:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

hup posted:

Manhunter S. Thompson

I toyed with the idea of rolling a Corruptor named Bat Country. I was thinking something along the lines of tie dyed swirling /Time paired with a primary that would also provide good psychedelic visuals. I let the idea go because I have two Time characters already.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
God dammit, are they going to gently caress this game up with a ton of homebrew changes? Leave my CoX alone!

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

Someone give me the lowdown on controllers/dominators. I've never played one before because I've always been straightforward damage damage damage focused. They're not really a class you can solo with though, right? What are some good combinations with flavor synergy? Earth/kinetics might be best but it doesn't really jive with me on a "this makes sense for a superhero" level.
The first thing you need to understand is that Dominators are not "Red Side Controllers". They're more analogous to Blasters, whereas Controllers are more like Defenders with holds. I know that I've brought this up before, but Dominators and Blasters have a unique play style that's radically divergent from how most other classes play. You play them very aggressively, move around a lot and it requires a lot of situational awareness. It's a completely different experience than whatever game it is that Scrappers are playing. A Dominator's defensive powerset is their primary. Once you fully wrap your head around that, you'll understand how to play them.

Illusion is unique to Controllers, and it's extremely powerful. They never proliferated it over to Dominators because it would clearly break the game if they did so. Illusion is that good. Ill/Rad is the Giant Monster killing god, and I can attest to how great Ill/Time is too.

Any Dominator that is */Fire is going to dish out good dps. Plant/Fire is considered the best.

If you do roll a Dom, make sure to skip the low level immobilizes. They pretty much just draw aggro. Just concentrate on the single target hold to start with, and build up the assault side of your build until the other good primary powers are available to you.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I have a Dark/Dark Cont with a Squid Ink theme going on. Other than Illusion or playing a MM, it offers probably the most variety of pets and some good support to boot.

Also have an Earth/Earth Dom called Hard Rock Candy with Crystal customization where each ability is a different color "flavor" and she was pretty fun. It gives you a good mix of melee and ranged damage with knockdowns if you're into that.

I have a bunch of others, but I never got them much past 30. But those two are the ones I've played the most.
What a coincidence! I have an Earth/Earth Dom named Pop Roxx that's also crystal-candy themed! Mine changes 'flavors' via costume/power customization change, announcing the flavor via hotkey. I rolled her the day that Power Customization and Earth Assault were both added to the game. Current flavors include: Mouth-Watering Watermelon, Tantalizing Tropical Punch, Bodacious Baja Blast, and Radical Raspberry!

Earth/Earth takes a long time to get to a good place, but really shines at higher levels. They're very heavy on melee attacks, so they spend even more time in imminent danger than most other Doms do. They also have huge energy issues.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 13, 2019

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I have *NEVER* had a fight go bad because the mob healed back that tiny bit and they were able to turn the tide or whatever, and I've taken Illusion to 50 twice, high 30s once. It's a complete non-issue.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I have a challenge for the thread:

1) Roll an Earth/* Dominator, or any other primary with a standard AoE Immobilize power.

2) Specifically seek out enemy groups that like to fight with ranged attacks.

3) Open literally every fight with the AoE Immobilize power.

4) QQ about how Dominators suck and delete toon.

5) Log back onto your Scrapper.

Sadly, I really do think that's the common experience for a huge number of CoX players. The AoE Immobilizes, while situationaly useful, gave too many people the wrong impression of Doms.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

rex monday posted:

*I have a real bad case of alt-itis. I love to make new characters.
"I am a completely normal CoX player..." :v:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Mirage posted:

Aww rats. I had an Architect arc on the old servers that got delisted because it had characters called "hobgoblins." I was all excited that I'd get to remake it in Homecoming. *kicks rock*

Maybe I'm ignorant as to the existence of a comic character by that name, but hobgoblin is a long established term from medieval folklore just like troll, orc, and goblin. That should have been fine.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

site posted:

hes a...maybe major is too strong a word, but hes been a spidey foe for like 25 years

I knew about Green Goblin, but Hobgoblin is news to me. Still, as long as they didn't look like the Marvel version, I can't see how they'd have a case against it.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
How's the 64 Bit client working out so far? Does anyone have any first hand experience with it increasing performance/graphics on high end rigs?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Staff Fighting and Dual Pistols may both be objectively at the lower end of the damage spectrum, but god drat are they both fun as gently caress. I have a Staff/WP Brute I've been soloing through all of Praetoria, First Ward and now Night Ward with, and I'm having a loving blast the entire way though. I'm carefully reading all of the quest text to reexperience everything I forgot in the intervening 7 years, but my character just breezes through the missions themselves with all of her flashy AoE damage. It doesn't hurt that Staff is also easy on the ears, unlike some other sets I could mention.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
It's really simple:

1. Sell the first piece of orange Very Rare salvage that you get for a cool 500,000.
2. Buy a full set of DOs so you don't suck.
3. Enjoy the rest of your easy ride to 50.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Between rare salvage, lucky recipe drops, and cashing in merits for stuff to sell it's basically impossible to hit 22 and not have enough inf to make level 25 IOs and just be done worrying about enhancements until 50.

I would caution against wasting merits on anything before you start working on your final build at 47+. Reward Merits are invaluable for buying recipes that otherwise go for massively exorbitant prices on the AH.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I don't understand the desire for IOs at 27, 22s work just fine. Don't put so much stress on yourself for a measly 2%.

It's not really worth bothering with IOs until you can slot level 35s, which is when they begin to outperform SOs.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I think I'm the only person that reads this thread that isn't triggered by the word Toon.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I'm a huge DK fan. Thank you both.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

atomicgeek posted:

Did they just add the low-level Damage enhancements to the P2W vendor? I don't remember seeing them before last week, but if any of y'all are likewise rolling up low-level characters or alts, the P2W vendor has 5 unique damage enhancements that grant fairly nice damage ranges, scale from level 1-20, and have a range of effects. This is in addition to buff pets from the same vendors, which as far as I can tell are also relatively new?

They've been there all along. Make sure to also get Nemesis Staff, Blackwand, Prestige Sprints, Backpacks, Ninja Run/Beast Run, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Ali Aces posted:

Travel with Ninja Run, remember to switch back to CJ before combat.

/macro Ninja "powexec_name Combat Jumping$$powexec_name Ninja Run"

There ya go. :)