Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

tooterfish posted:

I don't think I've had anything but positive experiences with CoX pubbies. Either now, or when I played in the past. It's got to be the most pug friendly game I've ever played, even when everything goes wrong it still manages to be fun and people seem to stay good humoured.

So long as you turn off Help as soon as possible, because jesus you get some weird conversations in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Thundarr posted:

I just want to know what they were thinking when they made Vorpal Judgment. Not so much the smashing / lethal part (though that's still pretty lol compared to the others for damage type) but the non-targeted cone part.

I find Vorpal hilarious and will mash that button every chance I get on a corruptor. Bonus points if I aggro four different groups because of the sheer size of that stupid-rear end cone.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gynovore posted:

Hero/Villain Merit: These are obsolete, if you have any something is wrong.

Transcendant Merit: this is just 50 Reward Merits bundled together for easy mailing.

Hero/Villain Merits can still be converted to and from 50 Reward Merits at the Merit Vendor. This seems useless but it's a really nice quick way to move them between characters if you need to.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I suppose goons did warn me about this, but I've hit level 10 on one character and near that on a few more,

I feel like you're not far enough yet and haven't experienced the things that really change how characters play - the entire enhancement system can shore up many of your problems, especially as you gain levels and get access to better enhancements. Between level 10 and 20 you tend to get powers that really help round out and define archetypes, allowing you to do burst dps phases or become extremely tanky.

I feel like the way you describe it as 'slugging' is a bit telling - there's a lot of quality of life things you can do to make the game more fun and fast, but like most MMOs actually knowing what they are and finding them can be kind of hard when you're just starting out. Some thoughts:
- Do you have the Double XP Boosters from the P2W vendor? Turning off influence drops sounds bad on paper, but the practical fact is that you'll tend to make enough money selling orange salvage on the auction house that you can get away with having double XP on all the time.
- It doesn't sound like you're grouping. I get wanting to experience the plot, but early COX missions are not the most scintillating thing ever, and imo the best fun you can have in this game is rolling around as a katamari of destruction and flashing special effects. It feels big and cool for you and your group to crash into a cloud of enemies and come out on top, and for me that's the enduring appeal of this game over other MMOs. Later, you'll get access to a place where you can level sync and play any story arc you missed, so you won't lose out on anything. COX makes grouping super easy because it'll happily level you up or down to match any group.
- I don't know what the goon population is like, but on the public servers, see all those guys yelling for DFB? That's a low-level raid that's intended to push you through the early-game quickly and get you set up with some cool powers and accuracy/damage buffs that last until you're level 20. With double XP boosters on, two of these runs will get you to 12+. It also ends with a pretty neat boss fight that might be more the sort of thing you're looking for.

By sheer virtue of its age and the time it came out, COX doesn't really have the support for single-player content that more recent MMOs like FFIX do, which might mean it's not for you. That's totally fair, but I'd encourage trying a couple of the things above out if only because it's hard to put in words how good it can feel to have a lovely day at work, drop into the game, and become a unstoppable whirlwind who tosses bad guys around.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The cinema event is really quick with a decent group and gives 1M a go, plus an enhancement that at least used to reliably sell for a few million