Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

City of Heroes

It's 2019, and our dead dumb game is back and kicking! The code's in the wild and a slew of private servers have popped up, so whether you're a vet who is dying to get back into the game or someone who has merely heard stories of it in passing, now's the best time.
So how did we get the game back? The short of is that there has been a super secret private server floating around for the last six years. The whistle got blown, threats got made, oops the source code is everywhere!

Discord

There are two SA goon discords available for our community:

Kuhullan’s Clown Basket: https://discord.gg/kEPRbCF Where the bulk of the chat is, post in the server and we'll manually auth you. The channels are a lot more granular and it is a great place to ask all of your questions.

SA Gamers: https://discord.gg/364rsdd The very large goon gaming server, though you'll need to mute many of the unwanted channels.

Connecting to the Private Servers

There are a variety of private servers out there now, most of which have been documented in this old Massively article (if there's a better site for these, please let me know so I can replace this link). You can access them all via the resources linked on their respective sites. Installers and other :filez: will not be provided in this post.
Most goons play on Homecoming, however if you prefer an I24 experience that has been untainted by player dev, there are options out there for you.

Homecoming: The Large Pub Server

Homecoming is the highest population of the various private servers and there are many goons already on here. You may find their website here: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/, and all steps to sign up & access the game are located in their 'Getting Started' forum.

Homecoming has five servers:
Torchbearer & Excelsior, which are the busiest servers.
Everlasting, the unofficial RP server.
Indomitable, the unofficial PVP server.
Reunion, the official EU server actually located in the EU.

Goons are primarily on Indomitable, however the server lets you transfer servers up to 5 times a day, so really you can play wherever and if a goon group catches your fancy just pop on over to indom. You can also mail yourself inf & items globally.

Mid's Reborn Hero Designer: An up to date release of Mid's hero planner.

You can pick up the latest version of this right here. It is basically the same as it ever was, just with updated powers and numbers. Note that it is currently missing the updated tanker values from the recent buff.

Additional Resources:

I24 and I25 proliferated many power sets, and you can find more information about those right here! Do note that Wind Control is not available nor are any of the Origin pools except for Sorcery.

While Homecoming has received additional patches, if you're interested in seeing what I25 did to the game, here's the patch notes for I25!

Looking for old builds, guides or other resources? Go here and you'll be able to access a snapshot of the old forums!
https://web.archive.org/web/20120904100456/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/index.php

Kheldarn's Pop Menu setup, which lets you create handy little popout menus.

Ognar's Guide to Setting up a Super Group & Base

There are far more resources in our discord as well, too many to list in the OP here.

This is pretty barebones, but I'm going to try and fill the OPs out as rapidly as my personal time allows.
If people want to help pull info from the last thread or contribute to these posts I will edit it in ASAP.
to-do:
add goonbox, but not until someone posts up a version with the tasteless poo poo scrubbed.
add new player info, some sort of 'what is coh?' post, invention basics, incarnate basics
post 1 is basic 'get on server' info and general resources, post 2 for nitty gritty game detail, post 3 for funny pictures and japes

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

This will be filled in with basic info about CoH and new player info etc. Basics on IOs, incarnates and whatever else we can think of.

What is City of Heroes?

Oh god, what AT/Powers do I pick!?

The short answer is, pick what you like for the most part! There's very few sets that are absolute traps. The only set we'd truly warn you off of is Regen, and instead will usually recommend Willpower as a similarly themed but better to play set. There are a few other sets with issues, such as Super Strength post-rage nerf, Energy Melee and Trick Arrow but all three are plenty playable. Aside from that, Masterminds have some issues at the top end, but they are unique and fun to play and I will wholeheartedly recommend at least dipping your toes into the pool with them.

Longer answer: There's an incredible amount of unique options out there that all play very differently from one another. Whether you're looking to come up with a cool theme, or wanting to build for pure min-max power, there's plenty of options for you. Below is a short description of each Archetype and how they play, as well as a recommendation of a couple of powers per AT. Note that a lack of recommendation is not an indictment of a set; brevity is important so this doesn't turn into an even larger wall of text.

Blaster - Live life on the edge, crap out lots of damage, get more and more damage the more you attack. While being ranged oriented, they also often have a slew of melee attacks, urging them to dip in and out of melee, though you can build pure ranged. Blasters have a reputation for dying quickly, but they've received some nice QoL improvements in their various secondaries that help them stay standing.

Recommendations: Fire/ and Water/ have a nice mixture of ST and AOE, being pretty simple and comfortable to play from beginning to end. /Atomic offers you some big melee hitters and rewards you for wading in, as well as a second Build Up, and /Temporal has some neat defensive utility, crowd control and a secondary Build Up.

Controller - Incapacitate swathes of foes with various crowd control abilities, while simultaneously buffing your allies or debilitating your enemies even further. While Controllers often don't do the most damage (and even then there are exceptions to that), they are an incredible force on a team that can smooth out the experience by simply making sure their enemies don't get to do anything at all!

Recommendations: Earth/ offers the most pure control, giving you numerous tools to bounce between packs and lock them down one after another. Illusion/ is on the other end of the spectrum, offering decent control but blooming into strong damage. /Kinetics will land you a spot on any team, being a powerful buffer that rockets the team's power into the stratosphere. /Time offers more defensive options, while also offering you more control and still bearing sizable offensive buffs.

Defender - Buff, shield, heal, debuff, all of the pure support tools you could ever want are bundled in this archetype, along with the highest raw values for them as well. Defenders make excellent cornerstones for the team, proving great utility while putting out a decent bit of damage themselves, as they have Blaster sets for their secondary pools. Defenders also play well with other buffing sets, as all of them stack from each individual player.

Recommendations: The buff sets mentioned above are excellent, but mixing things up a bit, Thermal/ is an underrated set that offers a mixture of debuffing, defensive buffs, offensive buffs and healing. It's a nice well rounded, mixed bag that is oft overlooked. Cold/ offers some of the strongest debuffing in the game, helping evaporate AVs and large groups of foes, as well as providing solid defensive utility and a touch of control. On the blast side of things, Water/ offers you additional soft control and defense debuffing, and Ice/ offers you some very solid damage and additional ST control.

Scrapper - Leap into the fray and beat the crap out of everything moving. You do a lot of damage and you're tough enough to take a few licks and keep going. Scrapper is the purest form of melee dps, with minimal gimmicks attached to their AT. You attack, you have a chance to crit and do even more damage, and that's that. If you want to just hop in and punch some dudes, this is the choice for you.

Recommendations: Claws/ is a great choice for ease of play. It does solid damage, animates and recharges quickly, and has a nice smooth attack chain very early on. Rad/ takes a bit longer to get itself together, but does well on both ST and AOE, carries some rarely resisted damage and has tons of -def to help you and your team land attacks easier. On the armor side of things, /Willpower is the ultimate 'set it and forget' choice. Turn it on and just go! It offers a bit of everything defensively, as well as additional endurance recovery. If you want something a bit more engaging, /Electric starts off a bit slow but turns into a defensive powerhouse with a solid amount of offense and endurance management.

Tanker - The polar opposite of Scrapper, the tanker embodies pure defense. It has the highest values on all of the armor sets, and can easily be turned into a rock solid fixture that can gather foes and keep them off their teammates. Every swing they take taunts their foes in an area, and their basic tier 1 attack reduces resistance on an enemy.

Recommendations: Radiation/ is a ridiculously defensive set, having large amounts of Resistance, debuffing enemy accuracy, and also featuring an enormous single target absorb buff. Invulnerability/ is the classic tanker set, offering a nice mix of defense and resistance once you wade into combat, as well as taking care of practically all of your To-Hit needs. On the offensive side, it's kind of hard to recommend a particular set, as Tanker's damage isn't the draw here. Many of the sets have various bits of utility in the form of soft controls or debuffing.

Making money (Inf)
Three basic ways to do this:

For beginners, buy Enhancement Converters with Merits and sell them, as well as your rare salvage. This link has some other good clueless newbie tips.

For those who like playing the market, converting enhancements.

For those who like to farm, raising a farming character and setting them up.

Enhancements for Beginners

IO Crafting Basics

Incarnate System

Potsticker posted:

I'm 50, what do I do now? A hopefully as clear as possible explanation of the Incarnate system for people who never did this confusing poo poo back in the day.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 16, 2020

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Reserved two. For all of our dumb memes. Here's an important one to start:

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 28, 2019

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Going to fill in a bunch of the basic gameplay stuff in the second post after work tonight and then see if I have energy to merge the rest of the resources from discord into the first post.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Ghostpilot posted:

I'd really like to see some of the lesser-used, underperforming sets looked at.

If we end up with tools to modify powers, I'd love to un-nerf Rage, Energy Melee and give a bit of a buff to Trick Arrow. I'd say Regen too but I'm not sure how you'd fix Regen in the current state of the game beyond just un-doing the nerf and hoping for the best.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Ghostpilot posted:

Trick Arrow is a set that would be okay if it had its numbers tweaked. I can't speak on Energy Melee and Regen, though.

The support sets are in a real weird place, though. Because Kinetics is so over-the-top bonkers in what it can do that bringing other sets to its level wouldn't be healthy, and it couldn't be brought down to the levels of others without rioting in the streets.

EM just needs numbers fixes, tbh. They utterly hammered its numbers over time. Rage needs its crash reverted to what it was before Leo's group got to it.

Trick Arrow needs numbers and some minor functionality I think, I wrote a big rear end post on it in the old thread. Like the crash on EMP arrow, just why on earth.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

The goon server won't compete in raw population, but in the event the various Leo-run servers such as Homecoming have an apocalyptic meltdown, it will be here for you.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Are there other Stalker sets where bad gimmicks are removed?

Elec, though not so much that it is a bad gimmick, but more that it removes a worthless ability and replaces it with AS. Gives it a nice strong ST chain and good AOE.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Hey friends, it has come to my attention that certain parties have removed Tequila's ability to access unofficial servers. Unfortunately, the only alternative is to use the Creamsoda launcher instead. This only affects you if you're playing on the goonserver.

Will update the OP with this shortly.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Amstrad posted:

No that's Tsurupettan's wording. There hasn't been any notice or comment of any sort from anyone involved with Tequila on why the ability to use server manifests other than the one used by Homecoming was briefly broken.

My wording, but it affected all server manifests that aren't using Leo's standardized content distribution. No idea if it was an accident or intentional, but considering that Leo is still doing things like banning people from his own server for talking about it elsewhere, I'm just going to switch over myself. I will update the OP again to reflect that both are usable, but with a note about what happened as it is clear they have the power to disable any manifests they don't approve of.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

clone on the phone posted:

Heeey, I did some DFB with you. I enjoyed your costume.

Also, is there a list or can someone fill me in on how or which AoE abilities will crit for a stalker from stealth? I know the kinetic AoE does. Does for instance, mass levitate for psionic also crit? What're the rules. I know shadow maul for dark melee doesn't, because I assume it counts as a DoT? How about shield charge?

shield charge crits and also doesnt unhide you because it's a pseudopet and that is one of the reasons elec/shield is hilariously good

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

clone on the phone posted:

Does lightning rod also crit and not unstealth you?

you got it :mrgw: just weird pseudopet stuff.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I'm slowly putting together some IO stuff for the OP but it's very hard to say 'you must have X io/set' because building a fully IO'd out character is about the sum of the parts and you will vary your choices based on power sets and needs. The very basic 'meta' for IOs is reaching perma hasten and/or def caps and then using leftovers to pick up scraps of res bonuses.

The only 'must haves' for IOs otherwise are uniques. The two recovery uniques and pshift proc are fantastic. Also kb prot, tohit bonus, the two 3% all def uniques.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

There's a reason most of my characters end up with Vengeance at 49. Truly a one slot wonder.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Harrow posted:

It's entirely about farming specific AE missions. Spines/Fire is really efficient at farming those missions, so that's what often gets suggested for a farming character. SS/Fire isn't quite as good at farming those AE missions but might actually be useful outside of them too.

Which is why we oft suggest Rad/Fire as something that has great AOE and can still be used outside of AE farming. Tommy is basically the last person here who needs to be educated on farming, and also the most depressed (or angry) over SS, which is now a set you wouldn't farm with anyway.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Harrow posted:

Well I have made a very bad post then, it would seem.

Also starting to wish I'd gone Rad/Fire for my own farming dude now.

I think most people just aren't aware of the nerf made to rage which is that you can't avoid the def debuff by double stacking it. Here's my Rage hot take: it's plenty usable on a team with support still but they ruined it for soloing.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 7, 2019

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Energy aura is also rad as gently caress though. ENA and ELA are both really good sets.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Poison is good except for poison trap being the inferior version (it has -rec instead of -regen) and the crash on the rez being pretty harsh. I don't know what you're smoking but I'd love some of it. The numbers it offers on defender are great.

We've had a lot of discussions on discord and a number of goons playing with it that consider it a pretty beastly alternative to the usual 'mainstream' sets that people gush over.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Hakarne posted:

So how much accuracy should I shoot for on a Brute for +4s? I'm at 120-130%ish in Mids and I'm debating taking tactics to get that closer to 150. What's a good number to shoot for?

go into mids and change your base to-hit to 39% to see your acc vs +4s

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

elec/shield stalker is pretty much the stalker meme build at this point. elec is another set that was saved from mediocrity by being ported to stalker and replacing some bad powers.

stalker is very good and fun overall though!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

I always heard it was passed down from Toontown Online, but that only came out the year before (2003 to CoH's 2004). I've never heard it outside of CoX

i've cited this a number of times myself but a year or two ago someone told me it actually predates toontown too. i just can't remember what the hell they said it came from.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Doon posted:

I also suck at MS Paint.

don't even use MS paint, just use Snipping Tool and grab what you want and save it. it's much faster/easier. snipping tool is your best friend.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Remora posted:

So... how do you powerlevel so you can get a farmer going quickly?

ask someone in discord to take you with them to a farm map. idk if he still does but ognar used to do one very long farm map a day and take whoever wanted to tag along through.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 1, 2020

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I updated op to remove goon server as the hosting ended up getting pulled. I also realized I never actually finished the OP so I'll try to do that this weekend too.

I'll need to ping a mod for a new thread title if anyone has suggestions.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Homecoming Forums posted:

Something I found that helps with bestowing buffs is using:

/optionset buffsettings 1184529

This removes autos and toggles from the status window allowing to only see clickies. It makes seeing who has or has not buffs much easier.

i just found this on the HC forums and holy gently caress this is game changing for anyone playing a clickie buff set

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Comfortador posted:

I'm installing this, what the hell. I would like my kid to check this out too, since he's never seen this before and he's a Superhero nutjob like me. Are the servers fairly kid friendly? I think he'd just be creating dudes and tooling around with them, not anything serious since he's 7.

Aside from general 'it's the internet' issues I haven't had any really bad times. Most people are extremely friendly and understanding in this game.

Maybe turn off the Help channel...

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

energy assault on doms is really good since they introduced the rework to it in august last year. most of the dom assault sets are way better than they used to be period, though. just don't use bone crusher with energy focus up because it doesn't do extra damage, it does a Weaken effect.

also stalkers got a really nice rework before the game shut down and with the introduction of ATOs you basically don't need a dead power (placate) taking up space any more. stalkers are in the best shape they've ever been in.

i think the on going proc research has brought up the value of energy melee, but that's more of its ability to slot procs than the actual powers having a good baseline.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 19, 2020

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

it's loads of fun. scrappers still do more raw damage but stalkers are enormously brutal against high HP single targets

in a non-titan weapons comparison (as that set is a massive outlier), they're so close to each other it doesn't matter numerically, play what you like.

the important difference is that stalker versions sets can give significant gameplay differences and improvements (or losses) in different parts of the traditional kit depending on where AS is placed. savage melee is considered 'ok' on everyone else but is ridiculously good on stalker.

also idk about that 'money is no object' thing, you can buy the ATO for like 20-25 mil and slot it in and stop using placate, that's it. obviously it gets better with global recharge since you don't want to slot much recharge into AS (around 40-45% max?) if you can help it. but you don't need multi-billion inf builds to take advantage of it, you just need a single IO.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My favorite new post-shutdown weirdness is all the proc math and testing going on because it enables a whole new avenue of building.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Nonexistence posted:

I have a vague peripheral awareness of proc builds and the mechanics behind them but have never actually seen one, anyone care to post? Anything that breathes new life into energy melee and super strength has my interest.

You'll find most of the energy melee and SS stuff in the tanker thread for them. There's also example builds through the thread.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/9305-proc-monsters-tanker-edition/

The concepts easily port over to other ATs with those sets but they're a bit less useful on sets that already have good damage scaling. But it's still good to understand how they work because, for example, if you're a scrapper with a gapless chain already, but you're actually over recharge on the chain, you may be able to cut some recharge and fit in a proc.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Dual blades is one of the highest damage output sets in the game as long as you ignore the combos. It is a real winner.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

DangerDan posted:

As someone who actively plays Dual Blades Stalker, do play one instead. It hits insanely hard with its attack chain and 1k Cuts gets a range bonus on Stalkers for no discernable reason, making it go from 'bad' to 'passable'. Also you get to trade out Blinding Feint for a constantly resetting Build Up that lets you one-shot lieutenants with Sweeping Strike.

I'm guessing that they're taking placate and trying to use empower instead of just ignoring the DB combos (except for Sweep) which is actually really awkward compared to Scrapper, yeah. I'd put Stalker DB ahead of Scrapper DB (non-bio) if you're ignoring the combos.

DB Stalker feels pretty good if you ignore the combos (which you want to also ignore on every other version of DB) except for Sweep.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Is anyone playing? I put in some good hours lately and the channel is dead.

Been playing a ton but mostly on Excel. Only talk occasionally in game though, usually post more on discord.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Can't you freely switch between servers for no penalty?

yes, i have transferred my excel chars to indom on occasion to join a goon tf. for my chars with more popular names i xfer over and then immediately re-name one of my junk alts to squat on it until i'm ready to return.

e: limit of 5 a day but whatever!

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 24, 2020

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Overall very cool, I like the new set and IOs. The set is definitely unique and I'll give it a shot. It's thankfully not going to be a broken rear end Time Manip competitor, but it should be overall good and have its own niche.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

site posted:

kinda feeling the urge to jump back in, if i wanted to make a wolverine type character did they ever make regen not suck

No, Regen needs billions of inf to compare to other armor sets and falls short still. Or rely on teammates. Willpower is good and fine though.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

my time defender craps out a ~34% all def farsight and if i clarion'd it it'd be 44%. that's with agility though. also makes sure everyone hits +4s pretty much. controller can push 25-35% depending on incarnates with darkness affinity or time manip. this isn't even considering shadowfall or maneuvers. at the very least it creates a lot of personal build freedom by letting you go 'yup, defenses are handled'.

at the same time, most of the other powers are useful so it isn't a one-trick pony. darkness affinity has one completely skippable power (black hole) and one reasonable to skip (darkest night). time can skip time crawl (on defs, arguably), distortion field (reads way better on paper than in practice and kind of weak for proccing out), and time stop (though it procs out very well + if you have a hold in your primary you can stack on bosses).

the only thing i actually dislike about time is one of the same things i dislike about empathy, which is Temporal Selection encourages the 'go down the list tagging a person every 15s with buff' gameplay

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Harrow posted:

Wait, you can power boost defense clickies? Does that work on something like Dark Miasma's Shadow Fall? :eyepop:

I ended up using Scorpion Shield to soft cap SLE defense on my Dual Pistols/Dark Corruptor but drat, now I really want to try a Time Manip Defender with a way to power boost Farsight.

Toggles are updated when power boost is applied/fades. Clickies last the entire duration if they are clicked when PB is up. There's two power boost options in epic/patron pools iirc. I prefer power boost and not power build up as PB's recharge is much shorter and gives you more flexibility with using it for things other than PBing the def buffs.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

i think meltdown and parasitic aura are good t9s, and OWTS has a place if you take RoP to cycle with it but that's pretty niche. otherwise yeah gently caress t9s they're pretty much just optional on armor sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Soonmot posted:

I started Bullet Nurse, an empathy/pistol defender on excelsior and I'm having a loving blast even if empathy is a one trick pony.

How are people slotting fortitude? Recharge? Or just increase the various buffs?

for the brief time i entertained an emp char i slotted fort with 5 red fortunes (all but end) and a lotg. in a perfect world it gets about 24% all def (more if you rock powerboost) and <15s rech.

also poo poo i should reserve the name 'I'm A Healer But' and make a set with dual pistols and a heal