Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Hakarne posted:

Speaking of shield is it really better on a scrapper (or tanker) as opposed to a Brute? I saw a thread on reddit I think that said Shield Charge is wonky and actually uses an invisible pseudopet to do damage and therefore doesn't benefit from Fury or damage modifiers as well on Brute.

I have no idea if that's total bullshit or not though :shrug:

It potentially doesn't benefit from all of your damage buffs. Brutes have a huge max damage cap (775%?), but IIRC pseudopets have something like 400%. It's not going to come up all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Potsticker posted:

Useless teleport powers? Can we talk about Group Teleport?

I feel like both that and group fly were intended for "raid" style content, someday, without really knowing what that entails.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

uncurable mlady posted:

Don’t bother with the goon server imo, most people are on the Homecoming server unless something changed a lot in the past couple weeks. You just have to download tequila and sign up for an account on their forums and it Just Works

Counterpoint: do bother with the goon server. None of these things are exclusive and if one goes down, not so big of a deal.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Gynovore posted:

Not really a GM command. You used a long range teleporter, then when the prompt is on screen, type a command into the chatbar. I'll see if I can dig it up. You can use this to teleport to any map that exists, including abandoned ones like the real Galaxy City.

Yeah, I did this near the shutdown and took a bunch of pictures of every zone people knew of at the time. The original RWZ was maybe the most interesting zone, and even that was pretty boring overall.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Yeah I enjoy seeing what everybody's doing, but I can't say I'm 100% on board with any particular approach. I'd rather feel more like a super hero than, say, losing a ton of defense whenever rage crashes, though.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I have an alt that I've been meaning to level that uses a blue / dark gray color scheme for psi melee with a similar color for dark armor that works really well. I think it may be literally one row off from that shade of green.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Comfortador posted:

My 50 Fire/Rad tanker is showing a base defense of 0%. He uses mostly Resist Damage types. Is that what I should be worrying about? I said defense, but I think for this build it's not defense minded. Like I said, I'm dumb.

Base defense is a very rare defense type that gets applied to all tagged defense checks, like the positional (ranged, melee, aoe) and typed (slashing, fire, etc). A 0% base defense is pretty normal.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
And animations may actually be one of the hardest assets to add, since they require multiple variants for things like flying, swimming, holding a shield, etc.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Yeah, I remember using that exploit to chronicle my exploration of the original RWZ in the last days before the game was shut down. It's neat, but I get how loading all these extra instances could drag everything down.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

S.D. posted:

As someone who rolled Energy Melee/Energy Aura brute back on live when City of Villains launched, you have no idea how infuriated I was to see Elec Armor. Energy Aura was in a really bad place for a long time.

I rolled an electric melee/energy aura brute at launch. Back then, chain induction leeched XP, in addition to the relative lack of defenses. My friends and I couldn't even complete the respec trial.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Yeah, Invuln is still the best "I don't care about smashing/lethal damage" set in my opinion. Every now and then, it truly shines.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I'd love to see "legacy" copies of powersets alongside current, and depending on the server, re-imagined or re-balanced versions as well. For regen specifically, I think instant healing might be doable as a toggle if it provided some amount of absorb on a regular cadence.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Homecoming's got page 3 up on the beta server.

Lots of everything! Stone Blast, Stone on Scrappers, Stone Armor and Elec Blast might not suck anymore???

It's only for the new SF for now, but new higher difficulty options with bigger rewards are also pretty neat. Also: innertube.

Genuinely surprised to see stone melee on scrappers with fault/tremor both still in there. Even without the guaranteed mag 4 hold it's a strong set for crowd control.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Honestly, I'd love to see a "time capsule" of un-tweaked vanilla powersets available alongside the newer and re-balanced stuff. Give players the option to pick up whatever they have nostalgia with, good or bad. This approach could give new dev crews even more freedom to explore balance options without completely breaking people's builds.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I haven't played all the secondaries, but every one I have has been very beneficial to the team.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
My armchair game designer brain desperately wants there to be a small, continuously replenishing absorb shield power (like a couple blaster secondaries have, but ideally at a faster tick rate) added somewhere to regen as a way to offset a flat X DPS without being yet another healing power that allows you to fully recover after losing health. My pick would probably be instant healing for thematic reasons: tweak the current regen down a tiny bit, add the continuous absorb, and maybe reduce the recharge. As a bonus, it uses the same enhancement types that everybody currently needs.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Seventh Arrow posted:

I've come to the understanding that people love running every possible variation on ITF that they can. A few weeks ago, I was in an all-defender ITF. A friend of mine was in an all-tanker ITF (no one died). I've seen all-controller/dominator ITFs, all-35 ITFs, all-melee ITFs. I'm pretty sure I even saw someone fill an all-knockback ITF within minutes.

Back in the day I was part of a 4-brute, 4-tank ITF that just barely had enough damage to beat the last boss. Good times.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Flesh Forge posted:

mechanics have always been overwhelmingly weighted towards high def and I'm completely fine with this tbh.

On one hand, I agree with you on this - it's both very prevalent and very effective. On the other hand, the game has a ton of inertia behind the current design and these new devs tend to be pretty heavy-handed with their balance changes. Unless they run all NPC attacks through a spreadsheet to make sure they're performing in accordance to The Formula there's going to be enemies that seem weirdly strong against typed defense (ice, energy, stone) sets, and typed defense sets only. I don't see it penalizing positional defense in any meaningful way, so a lot of what people build for with IOs wouldn't really change, either.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I feel like a more reasonable option (though still probably a noticeable nerf) would be to split up an attack's damage so that it's negated by different typed defenses independently - so the ice portion of an ice sword could be blocked by cold defense separate from the slashing damage. Maybe it was juuuuust a bit too complicated to get working?

Edit: Either way this feels like an XY problem for their content creators with far-reaching consequences.

rarbatrol fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 8, 2022

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
It's worth pointing out that Storm is a little different now than you can put those knockback-to-knockdown IOs in your powers.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Your percentages are off, to say the least.

To use an actual real example, let's use Fire Sword Circle and slot it with 3 level 50 IOs and 3 standard damage procs; this is roughly ED capped damage, and the procs have an average-ish 62% proc rate.

I appreciate this write-up and thank you for it, but I have to ask: do people actually slot their powers like that? I would expect recharge, accuracy, or endurance enhancement rather than 3 procs on top of that damage. FSC ain't cheap!

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
One of my best characters back on live was a brute I had "franken-slotted" to have ~3 SO enhancement's worth of damage, accuracy, end reduction, and recharge in every attack. It was certainly effective for a relatively cheap build, but turning it into something more focused on set bonuses required an entire respec and I never cared that much to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I've always liked red side, particularly the weird island atmosphere and all the old-world buildings.