Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Harrow posted:

Huh, I don't remember where I'd heard that Broad Sword was bad. Maybe people just said it didn't "feel" as good as Katana or something?

broadsword is very similar to katana but the swings are slightly slower. it's really not the sort of disparity you'd ever notice in practice unless you level a sword character and a katana character simultaneously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Admittedly I'm not an expert when it comes to the numbers side of things, but I've always worked under the assumption that end reduction in attacks is far more important than in toggles and even when you do slot for it in toggles they really only need a single one (with damage auras being a key exception, along with some other outliers).

toggles are just as important because they are a constant drain. if a personal toggle eats 0.5 end/sec or more you should usually slot it up for end reduction. debuff toggles and that sort of thing are usually a lesser priority

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

HPanda posted:

Did the Homecoming server make it so that going Rogue/Vigilante was fine from a gameplay perspective? Or are those still more just stepping stones to hero/villain?

other than the alignment powers for rogue/vigilante being worse than villain/hero, there isn't any reason to be a straight hero or villain anymore on homecoming because hero/villain merits don't exist

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

do tfs

if you do posi 1, posi 2, and synapse and you aren't at least level 20 (particularly with the xp boosts turned on) you're doing something wrong

on the other hand, feeling obligated to do synapse is bad and there should probably be a solution that doesn't involve synapse

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Seriously yeah. Running Synapse is about as much fun as sticking my ding-dong into a blender. They need to either shorten it or provide an alternate way of getting it.

i'd love to see an overall redesign of some of the oldest content along the same lines as the posi tf revamp

there is no reason synapse needs to be a 100% clockwork 2 hour tf. particularly when posi is already pretty clockwork-heavy. give me some hellions or outcasts or something geez

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

khy posted:

I cannot for the life of me come up with a good name for my latest character.

A cyborg from the future, sent back to the past as an experiment. He's only supposed to be there an hour but due to erronious math is now stuck there for a century. He's found a way to get home sooner, by draining the excess energy of the temporal shift and use it to enhance his cybernetic defenses. So the more he fights, the sooner he can return home.

And I'm happy with everything EXCEPT THE drat NAME I cannot come up with anything good.

The Tourminator, because he was here for a brief tour

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

25 IOs are slightly worse than SOs, which means you'll be running a few % below what the game "expects" you to have from 25-50. not that this matters much for most characters. still, level 30 IOs, which are better than SOs, are the better long-term investment if you just want the one set of IOs while leveling

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

clone on the phone posted:

Thanks for the IO info guys. I think I will wait until I can craft the 30+ IOs. I guess I should use SO enhancements until then though?

yeah, SOs aren't terribly expensive especially if you convert some merits into cash

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nessus posted:

How come sometimes my temp powers, like Sands of Mu, are blanked out in Summer Blockbuster... and sometimes, they are not?

sometimes your leader disabled temp powers to increase the rewards and sometimes they didn't

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

They really should never have split the playerbase like that. Shove everyone into the same zones but have villain's be, I dunno spies that sometimes get different missions.

How do you explain these new ATs?
Fuckin.... Arachnos science experiment.

Allow access to all the redside content for everyone and just change the flavor text. Hell, the villains largely operated like heroes taking out other villains. There was few puppy kicking moments.

at this point everyone can go everywhere after a 5 second conversation with null the gull, and people still avoid red-side

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It was weird how the Rogue Isles were simultaneously this oppressive totalitarian state but also a Randian hellhole. Like Recluse is encouraging his citizens to become villains, but that would mean killing his cops and robbing his banks.

recluse seems to be more or less detached from the civilian "government" which still serves as a vestigial remnant of the pre-recluse rogue isles. the cops and banks are his in the sense that he lets them exist, but they're ultimately just toys for villains, not anything that serves a real purpose from his perspective.

the real question is, who are these people who sign up to be RIPD

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

if your thing is gonna be stealth you need recall friend so that you can just summon the party to kill the boss with you, instead of coming off like you just wanted to solo while the rest of the team kills stuff that doesn't matter

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

-Fly is a slow travel power, compared to anything, but it's easy. you can fly
-Afterburner. Gives a defense boost, 12% on a blaster. Boosts your fly speed by about 20% I have it, and its a very nice quality of life thing

you can slot afterburner with flight enhancements to boost your fly speed cap by a lot. 3 slots in flight + 3 slots in afterburner means you'll be going much, much faster than base flight speed. for most of live fly was 'the slow travel power' but i think it outranks everything except teleport now, and it's much less fiddly than any of the others. superspeed can probably still outrun you on a flat horizontal plane, but there aren't lots of those in coh

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

+4/x8 is totally valid if, in the absence of being a fully-equipped 50, you have the support sets to make sure everyone can actually hit. this is really hard to pull off at TO levels, a bit easier at DO levels, significantly easier at SO levels, etc.

the bad experiences hit randomly because, in terms of bridging a level gap, some team comps are good and some are bad, and nobody really tries to structure a random pug in enough detail to ensure that there are enough accuracy buffs and defense debuffs. i want to be clear in saying that every set can have a place in a good team, but certain sets are going to be needed to deal with the specific problems caused by a level gap.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the problem is that you've played to level 10 over and over instead of progressing. 1-10 is the most boring and non-cohesive set of content in the whole game

your character is going to feel bad to play until about level 20, objectively. fortunately if you jump into a group (and btw just dropping into a group is actually super-easy in this game - just watch the LFG channel and respond to one of the calls for team members. you don't need a fancy UI tool when you can literally join an appropriate group in seconds the traditional way) then it takes a couple of hours at most to get to 20. you can also solo your way there without too many problems, honestly, as long as you're playing an offensive AT.

as far as whether missions are random or not: no mission is random except for newspaper/radio missions, but some are filler. there are a few that tell their own mini-story which are unmarked, but most story-related missions will have a title in their description, like "Heart of the Hollows" or whatever, to denote that they're part of a named story arc. again, this is a thing where you're running into problems because you're repeating the first ten levels - 1-10 doesn't have story arcs except for twinshot, matthew habashy, and the cop guy in the hollows, for heroes anyway. they only show up on the 10+ contacts

additionally, you complained about how your damage is anemic and you only deal 25% damage per attack to minions. okay...what archetype are you talking about? that sounds about right for a tanker or a defender's damage output, but not a scrapper, stalker, blaster, etc.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 24, 2019

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I AM THE MOON posted:

Behavioral Adjustment Facility, a level 50 Incarnate Trial that features a pubbie herding phase with like 8 zones that need to be covered or you lose

who on earth thought that a hollows trial for a new generation was a good idea

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

What are people's impressions on the Force of Will pool they're adding? It seems like a bit of a mishmash of abilities so I'm wondering if there's a reason to take them besides flavor/filler.

it looks really really good compared to most other travel pools

the debuff is very good for basically anybody, the knockdown cone lets you act like an energy blaster on demand, and the crash buff is a pretty good 'oh poo poo' button for anyone that doesn't already have one

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the rogue isles desperately needed a second pass that just never came

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nonexistence posted:

New homecoming update dropped, lot of tank and MM changes, check out the discord for everything. Special mention to Phantom Army now being able to summon copies of your character.

what happened to the days of patch notes being on websites instead of chat rooms

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Glazius posted:

I'm kind of a weirdo in that usually I start out with a powerset combo and work backwards to the concept.

Like, I wanted to play Shield and I wanted to play Savage Melee, so here's a combat prototype who tore open his containment pod and strapped bits to himself for protection on the way out. You know, as you do.

this guy has strong x-men/warcraft crossover energy

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Abroham Lincoln posted:

no, their whole shtick is baselessly treating homecoming like boogeymen because they want nothing to do with the "free speech" server.

"free speech" is code for "if you're a racist or transphobe or some other variation of a piece of poo poo, you're welcome here." :ssh:

it wouldn't be city of heroes without a fifth column

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Somehow the name "Liefeld" wasn't taken so I did my civic duty.

Turns out Beam/Time Blasters are fun.

feet are way too big imo

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Glazius posted:

but for now Antifa is beyond parody.

it's not tho

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Oh, right. Someone got banned for posting it on the HC Discord, but this is from the SCORE server:

ah yes, the famous ban-worthy offense of "posting a powerset description"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is it worth getting this installed or is NCSoft gonna issue a purge next week?

I played some CoH way back in the good old days. I had a lightning speedster character, it was cool

it's been around for over a year now, NCSoft is NCSoft but they don't seem quite as zealous as they used to be

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

1) run double XP all the time, until you hit 50. you will always make more selling stuff at the auction house than you would from drops, unless you are a farmer. (you can AH from anywhere outdoors, /ah exists now)
2) run the Death from Below instance four times for each new character. Fifteen minutes per run, each run grants a buff that lasts until level 22, with double XP on you will fall out the end right at level 18

levels 1-20 are effectively an extension of the character builder and are, rightly, almost entirely erased. people do still backtrack to do Positron etc but nobody sane actually grinds to 20 anymore

just wait'll you hear what they did to Incarnate XP/drops

EDIT: vvv Do people still talk about City of Heroes there?

if you don't do at least a level or two in kings row you're playing CoH wrong

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

anything elec was a mess at launch. i played an elec/devices blaster in the beta and i was a bit shocked by the power difference when i went energy/energy at launch

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gynovore posted:

You have to remember, NCsoft is not a normal company. They had a product that was making them money, and would likely continue to make them money, and they shut it down. Some people offered them money to not shut it down, and then said no. Then after it closed, people offered them money for the code and rights, and they still said no. Heck, people offered them money for just the IP, and got shot down, even though NC did jack poo poo with it... oh wait, they used Statesman's image in a lovely MOBA that got closed fifteen minutes after launch. Not to mention that releasing a MOBA in 2018 is like throwing your money into a flaming sewage dumpster.

In short, NCsoft is not a sane or rational company and should not be expected to act rationally.

ncsoft is manifestly a normal company in this regard

see extremely normal company disney and their brutal butchering of marvel heroes

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

there are just a few sets that are still tuned for launch content, or CoV launch at best. regen is one of those

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i've been waiting since beta for an elec blast that didn't suck

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i remember the days when you 6-slotted stamina and you liked it

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Drone posted:

I might have asked this before years ago but whatever, it's a slow thread anyway:

I only dabbled in CoH a few times during live. Always liked it, but never latched onto it for long enough to get more than a handful of levels and actually experience content.

I've been casually putzing around on Excelsior as a kind of bathrobe-and-slippers evening MMO to unwind a little bit. Hop on, grind out a couple casual missions and turn off my brain while listening to a podcast, log out.

Anyway, this has so far entirely been solo. Aside from some grouping up that I did way back when the news broke that CoH had, in fact, been preserved, I haven't really played with anyone else.

So if I just want to have a chill-rear end time with some people, zerg rushing my way through office buildings/warehouses/caves/sewers, and hanging out/soaking up XP, what exactly is it that I need to ask for in LFG? Is that what people mean by farm? My main is a level 19 illusion/radiation controller that I'd like to pump up a bit.

And is there an active goon supergroup on Excelsior?

do task forces when you have the time for like 10 missions (look each task force up to see how long it is before you commit - some of the higher level ones are beastly) and otherwise basically anything but farming will be in bite-sized chunks where you can dip in and out of a group pretty easily. farming isn't really playing the game, it's an exploit of the player mission design system that allows you to level alts quickly and make a lot of money.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

maybe it's just because i mostly stopped playing CoH long before it closed, but my experience on homecoming has been pretty weird in terms of the extreme level of player power compared to the first three years of the game's life. i'm totally unsurprised that the devs want to find interesting ways to pull back on some of it and it was always kind of weird that you could just kit out for s/l/e and be fine against exotic attacks. i suspect they'll need to do some serious revision of defensive powers so that some powersets aren't completely helpless in certain situations, though

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it wasn't easy to solo as a blaster at launch but it was totally doable. good luck on a defender tho

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Glazius posted:

Yeah, defenders and corruptors are the ones I'd say have the short end of the stick, as far as soloing goes. Unless they happen to pick a support or a blast set that does okay control, or the couple of support sets that can do self-target status protection. In order to successfully solo you need some way to either resist enemy controls or slap your own controls on them first. The same could also be said of damage, but not getting controlled is how you stay at range and keep enemy damage fairly low.

oh i mean on homecoming and even mid-life live you could solo as a defender. i had a dumb archery defender that did okay for himself a few months after the CoV launch. but this was categorically not the case at launch, you'd just get pasted

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i logged back on to check it out and yeah some of my lower level characters were gone. i know this specifically because i had remade my main blaster from live as soon as homecoming got up and running and he wasn't in my character list anymore. nbd i just remade him again because i hadn't played him much anyway but there is definitely some kind of culling mechanism for inactive account characters even if they aren't advertising it

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fearless_Decoy posted:

In my ongoing quest to take something with each powerset to 50, it's time for a Storm defender. At first glance it seems underwhelming compared to some other sets in the Homecoming meta, but there's the goodies like Steamy Mist and Freezing Rain. How do Tornado and Lightning Storm work in practice and is the Mag 2 Stun Thunder Clap as meh as it looks?

all i can say from outside observation of the powerset is, do not be surprised when you run into some high-strung tank or scrapper who throws a fit about how you're doing knockback wrong (all ways of managing knockback are wrong to somebody so you won't be able to please everyone)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

Is there a guide somewhere on how to level and not feel awful? I know when I join the LFG TFs there's some guy at level 25 who dropped 50 mil on his build, but any solo stuff I try just feels like a slog. I thought it was a MM pre double pet upgrades thing, but my rad/fire eventually going to AE farm dude also feels really slow in solo missions. Is the game designed to be kind of slow until you can twink out or am I bad at CoH?

scrappers, brutes, and stalkers feel good soloing, blasters and dominators aren't bad, everybody else should probably just group. but make sure to at least twink yourself out with SOs pre-27 and generic IOs of the highest level you can equip after that point even if you don't want to drop a ton of money on sets and stuff. you can convert a few reward merits into enhancement converters and auction them to get the cash to do basic stuff like that.

keep in mind that if you kit yourself out with SOs from the start you are very much twinked out by live standards, since SOs lower than level 25 didn't exist on live. it should be at least doable for anybody but a controller to solo up to 30 at least, but unless you're an offensive archetype it will be kinda slow regardless. as the post above says you're basically always going to get people interested in grouping especially if you advertise content that awards badges or souvenirs, although in some level brackets the most obvious content to run might kinda suck (synapse :argh:)

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 31, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

folks who played during live are largely a bit skittish about some of the proliferated sets i think. it's easy to remember all of your defenders whose blast powers kinda sucked and conclude that a version of that on a blaster isn't going to necessarily measure up to a set originally designed for blasters, especially because (iirc) the initial proliferations did suffer from this a bit

but i don't think this is really true anymore, the homecoming devs have taken care to make proliferated sets fit with their new archetype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

just ran a sister psyche TF for the old-school badge and had a guy quit in a huff before the last mission because it wasn't merit-efficient, somehow galaxy braining himself into believing that quitting without any merits at all after doing 90% of the TF was better than sticking it out

not sure how you sign up for sister psyche, having run it before (which he clearly had), without realizing it's gonna be slow but lmao