Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

cox is designed with the base assumption that it's actually cool and good to run out of endurance and that you should take a five minute break every two minutes. because it's so core to the design the problem can only ever be mitigated unless you go full hardcore build, in which case it's also the number one thing to build around, because it turns out people prefer pressing buttons over not pressing buttons. if you're a casual who only occasionally dips your toes into this whole io business you'll spend more time waiting for your blue bar to go back up then actually playing.

frankly they should just double both your endurance and endurance recovery, but i imagine that would cause the core playerbase to ragequit or whatever

see also: every enemy in the game having a minimum chance to dodge, which leads to such interesting and fascinating moments of gameplay friction like playing a stalker, bane spider or night widow, missing your assassin's strike for the fifth time today, and just wanting to turn the game off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

it's endlessly funny to me that the homecoming devs introduced challenge settings so people with capped out builds have something that can fight back, but then from what i saw mostly gets ignored anyway because apparently the people with capped out builds aren't after being challenged

also, that most team content devolves into everyone superspeeding and/or teleporting to the end of a mission so the same two or three people could beat an EB or AV. i understand most players left have done every piece of content a hundred times over so some speedrunning sentiment forming is natural, but it feels like you spend a lot of time skipping everything and little time actually playing, or not playing at all because you failed to build to superspeed through everything and solo AVs

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

with the way the game is designed, minmaxing is neither required from the gamebalance or expected by the playerbase, but also any given party you join will have about three to five players that are functionally immortal on their own even in a +4/x8 setting and will instantly delete 90% of every trash pull, so that might affect what powers will feel fun/be impactful to use. when i leveled a plant/nature controller, a lot of enemy-based debuff or ground-placed buff/debuff powers (including my controls at times) felt completely pointless because people might not spend more than ten seconds in range before moving on. player-based buffs at least have the advantage of lasting you several pulls, making the squishier party members not instantly fold to loose bosses and making the powerhouses more efficient

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

that's the 10% of the time those powers do shine, but even in an ITF it's mostly the final boss that lasts an appreciable amount of time due to its gimmick.

on the flipside a week or two ago i joined a Doctor Khan TF where the final boss lasted long enough to use lore pets twice, so, you know, you also shouldn't not take -res and -regen debuffs because the times they're useful, they're really useful

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

still wonder if the writers realised they wrote anti-matter as a huge incel or if they actually genuinely thought dominatrix was a master manipulator he was a victim to instead of falling for the world's most half-assed turncoat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I don't hate redside either, with the caveat that these days all that matters is whether or not I can reliably get teams. And unfortunately even on a server as busy as Excelsior it's no guarantee.

this is still insane to me when it's literally free to become a vigilante or rogue and there's also no longer any gameplay benefits to pure hero/villain alignments