Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

As a bit of a note on Assassin's Strike and the stuff with Assassin's Focus, something I want to be sure is clear is that if you get Assassin's Focus to three stacks and use the Strike, you do not get the shank damage. You "only" get a regular double-damage critical, which is still really good, but if you want the enemy-exploding shank, you have to deal with the wind-up by using it from Hide (or on a Placated target).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The Snipe change is one I mostly like, but it has an incredibly minor nerf to Beam Rifle in it.

One of the major things of Beam Rifle is "inflict Disintegrate on a target, and your other attacks hurt that target more, you can spread Disintegration via various attacks." The snipe used to have a 100% chance to spread it if it you slowcast it, 55% if you fastcast it. I don't think it's going to be possible to get a guaranteed spread now unless there's two of you: one to inflict it, and another hanging back and slowcasting the Snipe out of combat for the guaranteed spread.

The other attacks still have a chance to spread, of course, and it's just one attack, but still.

EDIT: Oh, I actually read the full patch notes for myself, and:

Patch Notes posted:

All versions of Beam Rifle's Penetrating Ray now has a 55% chance of spreading disintegration.
All versions of Beam Rifle's Lancer Shot now has a 100% chance of spreading disintegration.

So there you go then, the guaranteed spread is on a better power.

MechaCrash fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 1, 2019

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

As I edited my post to reflect, I will gladly take "the snipe is always a 55% chance to spread" in exchange for "the heavy attack is a 100% chance to spread." I think that's an overall positive change.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

While Dr. Q did get its max level bumped to 45 specifically so Incarnate powers work on it, it's still a slog. In theory you can stealth the missions that aren't kill-alls, but the eyeball monster Rularuu get bonus perception. Which can punch right through most stealth. I'm not sure if a full on Stalker can slide by or not, though.

I will admit that "let's just stealth everything" is an attitude that normally annoys me (I signed up for City of Heroes, not Metal Gear Online, let me hit things), but fuuuuuuuuuck Dr. Q.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

boxen posted:

So, with the levelling talk, should I not just be going through my contacts and doing missions for them? Because I did DFB once, then just have been puttering around with my robot buddies, atlas park to king's row to steel canyon. I think I did the 3 radio missions then one bank robbery thing, but I couldn't really figure out how to do the "side quests" in that instance.

I tried one of the first TF's at like level 13 solo (the one where you deal with the lost, don't know the name), and got about two or three missions in before I couldn't do anything. Was debating trying the positron TF (level 18 now, i realize i'm overlevelled for it). As I understand it, TF's are solo-able now? I'm not in a rush to 50, it's just that doing random contact missions is kind of boring. What I remember from playing back in the day is TF's taking 8 hours plus, that's also different now, as I understand?

The true but useless answer is "do whatever you find fun." But since you seem to be asking for some direction (which is distinct from speed), here's some options.

First of all, those side missions in the Safeguards. The map is mostly made up of one kind of bad guy, but there's small groups of a different kind lurking about. For example, normally when you do a Safeguard in Skyway City, the enemies are Trolls, but sometimes there's little groups of Lost lurking about. Beat down the entire spawn of them, and you get a key. You can then go and stop whatever it is they're trying to do (rob a store, do a weapons deal, blow up a building, et cetera) to get more time. I have no idea what happens if you do one of these before you save the bank, because the way Safeguards are set up, you go save the bank promptly, then you spend the rest of the time you have left "patrolling the city" to stop various petty crimes, and that's when the time left comes into play. The locations for the enemies you need to stomp on are fixed, as are the locations of the places where the side missions spawn. You can find them yourself, but there are maps. You can also install a map pack but I never bothered -- I have a second monitor, gently caress it good enough.

For Task Forces, some of them are indeed Too loving Long, because they were made back before the devs realized that "let's call it a night here and reconvene tomorrow" was a short way of saying "let's have our characters stuck in limbo on this loving thing because our schedules will never match up again until we all say gently caress IT and abandon it." Most TFs shouldn't take that long, and if they do it's because too many of the people involved are morons and/or the team leader has the difficulty cranked way too high and won't turn it down ("look at the great XP!" they will proclaim, ignoring that every single spawn is a five minute slog that kills half the team, and they'd be getting XP faster if they could buzzsaw through things efficiently). TFs are not intended to be soloable, but one of the changes that came with Homecoming is the people in charge realizing "gently caress it, people try to, and maybe they can, so we'll just let them start this poo poo on their own." I do not know if the resulting missions listen to your difficulty settings or if they always spawn for the minimum required group size, though.

For more directed levelling, you will sometimes have contacts call you up and offer you missions. Laura Lockhart, for example, offers a mission about putting an end to the Fifth Column and the Council kicking the poo poo out of each other, could you maybe stop them before the collateral damage becomes a problem please? She's level 15-24. There's also Field Agent Keith Nance, who will talk to you from 20 to 29, who wants to have some words with you (mostly "you're under arrest for SUPERCRIMES, please come quietly"), and the plotline goes on from there. The 20-29 band also has Roy Cooling, who needs your help handling some issues with the Medi-Porter technology that is the game's handwave for why you don't stay dead when you die.

Each of the zones that are not part of the usual launch list also have their own storylines to follow, too. Usually you can get a marker pointing you in the right direction when you get there. At level 18, that puts you barely in range for Faultline. Go speak to Jim Temblor there, and that'll kick things off. He's the first contact, then you get another, and you do Contact #3 once you hit 20, and then the fourth and final contact. Striga Island starts at 20, seek out Stephanie Peebles. Same thing as before: finish her stuff, she sends you to another contact and you finish that guy's stuff, and then at 25 you finish the last two contacts.

I especially suggest doing Faultline, because completing the second contact opens up a special shop where you can buy SOs ahead of schedule, although the kind you can use depends on origin: Natural and Mutation get Damage, Science gets Recharge, Tech gets Endurance, and Magic gets Accuracy. I think the second half of Faultline also grants you the "Entrusted with the Secret" badge, which is useful because it grants you an Ouroborous portal. Ouroborous are basically Time Cops, and their intended purpose is "this is how you replay content you missed or just want to do again," but they're largely a rapid transit system. But if you just want to get the portal, just ask for a portal near any dense crowd and be over level 14. Once you're inside, get on top of the highest part of the spire (don't worry, it's not hard; especially if you can fly or superjump) and you get your very own portal.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think that the "blow poo poo up for bonus time" thing only works before you rob the bank.

But it's easiest to remember: Heroes do the bank first, Villains do the bank last.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The way the banks work, not that the game explains this, is that the robbery doesn't start until you get close enough (250 feet originally, 50 in Homecoming), or after five minutes have passed since someone entered the mission. So while there isn't time to go dicking around all over the map, there is enough time to wait for everyone to get in the drat mission and get their poo poo set up.

If you trigger the bank robbery by charging towards it before everyone (or at least enough people) are ready, you can fail it because the two or three people that drip in get their poo poo wrecked, and then the bank robbers escape because nobody's in position to stop them.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

boxen posted:

I don't disagree, but sometimes I feel like a five or ten minute or hour break randomly while playing, and that's not really conducive to grouping. I like being able to say I'm done at any point.

As long as you aren't doing a task force or some other (relatively) long-haul prospect, there's nothing stopping you from doing that. If you join a bunch of people for missions, you can say "hey guys, I need a break, this is the last one for me" any time you want. They'll just go "okay" and pick up a replacement after you're gone.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I ride bikes all day posted:

There a post somewhere on level 50 stuff? Incarnate, veteran, hell even just figuring out which enhancements to use is a bit overwhelming for my punch nazis with a lightning fist game.

Veteran levels are straightforward. They're just more levels after 50, and you get rewards as you get them. There is no more power to be had from them directly, but it gives you the currencies you need to make the stuff that does make you more powerful.

To unlock your Alpha slot, you have a few options. Since this is probably your first, you have two realistic ones: "keep earning XP and it'll happen on its own" or "do the Alpha Unlock thing in Ouroboros with Mender Ramiel." I suggest doing the Ouroboros thing at least once, with the caveat that at one point you're told "hey, this is hard, bring friends." I suggest bringing friends because they aren't joking. To be less cagey about it, the specific thing is the mission Lady Grey gives you to retrieve the container and deal with Captain Holtz, and the reason is you have to fight The Honoree and Captain Holtz at the same time, and they're both AVs, although they can be scaled down to EBs.

Once you get your Alpha slot unlocked (again, there's various ways to do that), it is time to make a Thing for it. A list is here, and also in-game, but the short version is "it is a universal enhancement that applies to all of your powers." As you upgrade it, it provides a bigger bonus and/or more bonuses, and when you upgrade it to tier 3, it gives you a Level Shift: you count as level 51 for all combat calculations that check level (damage, accuracy, effect duration, et cetera), but are still 50 as far as rewards are concerned. You can make as many as you want, but getting all the bits can be a pain in the rear end, so choose wisely but don't stress about loving it up because you can fix it later.

Of course, the Alpha slot isn't the only one. Once you unlock it, you start unlocking the next two: Judgement and Interface. Judgement is a giant GET hosed nuke available to all archetypes every 90 seconds, Interface is a proc that applies to all of your powers. Once those are unlocked, you start on Lore (pets) and Destiny (big AOE buff). Finally, there is Hybrid, which used to require running the Magisterium trial, but I have no idea if that's changed for Homecoming, and the abilities are kind of weird, so check those out yourself, but I figure it's far enough in the future to not worry about. Worth noting is that Lore and Destiny, once you get those to rank 3, grant an Incarnate Shift. Which is a Level Shift that only works in Incarnate content, which is pretty handy considering how much Incarnate stuff spawns at level 54.

As for actually making this crap, the procedure is pretty much the same across the board: to make the Tier 1, mush together three common Incarnate Components. To make the tier 2, take the tier 1, mush it together with two common and one uncommon Incarnate Components. To make the tier 3, combine the tier 2 with two commons and a rare. And finally, to make the tier 4, you need to combine two tier 3s (doesn't matter which), two common bits, and a very rare bit.

Which brings up the question of "okay, what are Incarnate Components and how do you get them?" Incarnate Components are just the bits you craft together to make Incarnate abilities, and any time you're presented with a choice of a rarity, all the items of that rarity are available, so if you know what you want then you can just pick it off the list. One of the tabs in the Incarnate thing lets you turn shards and threads into various components, break things you don't need into threads, upgrade, sidegrade, and so on to help you get what you need. As for how to get them, in addition to "make them out of shards and threads," the intended answer is "RAID, MOTHERFUCKER." Now, that may sound intimidating, but it's really not. City of Heroes has a pretty low threshold for participating in raids. As long as the people in charge have some idea what to do, you just need to follow a few simple instructions, usually poo poo like "stay with the herd, shoot these fuckers, don't shoot that fucker." (Actually running poo poo can be more complicated, but unless you intend to do that, you don't need to know or care about details.)

For enhancements, the "grunt and go" version is "things you use on enemies get one accuracy, three Thing What They Do, probably a recharge, probably an endurance, defenses are 3 def or res and maybe an endurance reduction." At 50, it's a bit late to worry about common IOs, although I will point out that a level 53 SO will get you about a 38% boost, a level 50 common is about 42%, so if it's something you've only got one or two of in a power, it might be worth considering. If you have three in the power, it's not worth using because Enhancement Diversification will eat the difference.

If you want to know about IOs and sets, holy poo poo, that is a whole thing and I am not qualified to help on that, but if you want to know the short version, it's how to break the game over your knee. It is not strictly necessary because once you get a team together it's fine, but it can be fun!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Right. You can always Attune the thing to make sure you get full power and the recharge bonus, though.

Now, to back up and explain some things...

You can benefit from a maximum of five copies of any given bonus effect from a set. Doesn't matter where it came from or how you got it, you can have five instances of it.

There is a set bonus that gives +7.5% recharge.

The Global Recharge bit of LOTG also gives +7.5% recharge.

These are not considered the same bonus, so you can have five of each, thus getting +75% recharge (in addition to whatever other recharge bonuses you can pile up).

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Right. One copy of any given enhancement in a power, which is why people will get Hover and Combat Jumping and the like.

An Attuned enhancement is always your level. So it will grow with you, and if you Exemplar down, it will drop down to match, so you can keep the set bonuses. You can Attune an IO by using a Catalyzer on it.

Do note that Attuning does not allow for IOs to function outside of their regular levels. Kinetic Combat is always going to be a 20-35 set, for example, so Attuning it will not let it give you level 50 numbers, and Attuning a set of Mako's Bite is still not going to let you drop below 27 (the minimum to equip the set at all) and keep the bonuses.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

A Super Quick Guide To AE Farms

First off, let me make it clear that once you get established, you don't need to do AE farming. But we all gotta get our start somewhere, or maybe you just want to try it, or you're sick of not having a 50, whatever, your motives are your business.

So here's how this crap works.

What You Need
1: A Brute. The secondary must be Fiery Aura. The primary, you got a few choices.
2: A little seed money. Go punch some Hellions, that'll get you the money you need.
3: An appropriate AE mission.

That's it.

How To Build The Brute
Your primary should be one of the following: Claws because Spin is good, Radiation Melee because it has good AOE (or so I'm told; I gave up on it fast), Quills because of Spine Burst and a second damage aura, and I think Titan Weapons is good for this too (it has really good AOE but it takes a bit to get going). I think Super Strength used to be good but because of the way Rage works now, not so much? gently caress it, if you're not sure use Claws.

Were you looking for an exact build? gently caress that, this is the super quick guide to get you started, if you want to invest major effort in this poo poo, I'm sure you can find someone better qualified. Spin and Burn will tear poo poo up especially backed with Fiery Embrace, you can cap out fire resist with SOs (or 25 IOs) in Fire Shield and Plasma Shield plus just having Temperature Protection at all, and Consume and Healing Flames can help keep you going longer.

How To Do This poo poo
First you need a mission. To get started, I suggest Fire On The Table or Fire On The Table EX Turbo, the difference between them being that the EX Turbo is floored at level 50 while the regular version is 1-54. Make sure your inspiration tray has four Lucks, with the rest Enrages (you can bring an Insight if you want). Set your team size multiplier to x8, go into the mission, eat all your inspirations, and then go smash the box. Then smash the car. (It's one very small room, you won't have trouble finding this poo poo.) You will be up to your rear end in a top hat in fire-shooting clowns. Start killing clowns with everything you've got and shovel inspirations into your face as fast as they drop. The reason I suggested this mission is because it's an ambush farm, and because it's an ambush farm the enemies will come to you, so you don't have to spend any time running up to clowns, you can use both hands to eat inspirations and use powers. Once the clowns thin out enough that they're just ankle deep, finish killing them off, hit the glowy to end the mission, and leave. Yes, this mission is relatively short, but that's why you're doing this one for now. Do keep in mind that because it's an ambush farm, if you die, the enemies will jump up your rear end when you walk back in. Have your toggles on and your inspirations ready.

Repeat this until you're 22. Put the enhancements in Fire Shield and Plasma Shield. You are now capped to fire. You can keep using Fire On The Table, or go to the slightly bigger Fire On The Moon, which is a smallish map full of patrolling clowns. You want the clowns because they do 100% pure fire damage, against which you are resist capped. You still need the lucks, of course, but getting only three means "your life will tick down" instead of "death sentence." Or you can go with the classic Comic-Con one or the Real Big Dog one, which are more profitable per run, but the enemies aren't 100% pure fire so hey there you go. Now keep doing this until you have enough money or you want to shoot yourself.

And that's it. IOs help you do this poo poo harder better faster, but you can do it with just SOs or equivalent.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

One of the big problems with the "bosses are now tougher" thing is that the intent was to slow down scrappers mulching everything. Not only did it not slow down scrappers, it put already struggling blasters even further into the weeds, because blasters had to kill everything in two volleys or die to the return fire.

Unfortunately, I do not recall when this happened relative to the revelation that scrappers had a higher damage cap than blasters, the idea being that scrappers deserved the higher damage cap because they had to get into melee to hit things. It was pointed out that, yes, they do have to get into melee to hit things, this is why they got shields and critical hits. The blaster damage cap was raised from the 400% everyone else had to share 500% with scrappers not too long after.

There's really no other way to say it: blasters sucked for the longest time, because all they had was damage, and while trading survivability for damage is perfectly fine, they didn't get enough extra damage to make up for the fact that they tended to detonate on contact with the enemy. The fact that the original version of the Blaster inherent was a bad joke didn't help.

See, you may have noticed that the five Villain ATs work well with their inherents: Brute Fury, Dominator Domination, Corruptor Scourge, Stalker Assassination, and Mastermind Supremacy. The five Hero ATs, not so much. This is because the villain ones were designed with their inherents in mind, and the hero ones were not. Scrappers always had the ability to critical hit, they just got a little icon saying so. Tankers got "punchvoke" because it was noted that tankers putting Provoke (not even Taunt, but specifically Provoke from the pools; Tanker Taunt used to be single target) on autofire to do their job was pretty lovely (also scrappers were good enough at holding and surviving aggro that tanks were left out), and I don't know when Bruising (your tier 1 attack gives -20% resist) got added but it helped some. Controllers got Containment (double damage on mezzed foes) so they could theoretically solo, and I'm not sure when Overpower (critical hit controls) happened but there's that too. Defenders got Vigilance, widely mocked as "Negligence," because getting an endurance discount as team health dropped wasn't that useful, but Defender primaries are so varied that they needed something universally useful-shaped.

And then there's Blasters and Defiance. You may know Defiance in its current incarnation, where it's kind of Fury-esque and each attack gives you a short, stacking damage buff, and also being mezzed still lets you use your tier 1 and 2 powers. But that's not what it used to do, oh no. What it did when it was first introduced as if it would help: as your health goes down, your damage goes up. I forget the exact scaling, but it was not very good, and it was rolled out alongside "great" advice like "as a blaster, try to not get healed." The fact that blasters very often went from "full HP" to "smear on the pavement" meant that this was of dubious utility at best.

This is why the Issue 24 changes to Blasters were what they were. Giving Blasters more damage was out of the question because it would've broken things too much, so they were finally going to give some survivability back. But alas, the game died before that could happen, because the universe hates blasters that much.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Maybe my quick guide to AE farming should get a link in the OP or something?

Possibly with a note about "block Awakens and Break Frees at the P2W vendor, make a couple of macros to handle smushing other inspiration types into reds and purples."

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Have you been doing this poo poo for tickets? If you've been doing it for tickets, you can buy rare salvage and sell it on the auction house (you can type /ah anywhere and get the auction house interface, in case you didn't know). The market got flooded due to this, so you get about half a million per rare piece of salvage, but you should be able to sell enough crap to get IOs. If you've been going for regular rewards, then it's still "sell your poo poo on the auction house," but you're at the mercy of the RNG. If you want to keep a steady (not great, but steady) flow of money coming, then do the farms that are floored at level 50, because then you can get common IO recipe drops, which sell for 70k to 100k at the NPC vendors. It's not a super huge amount of money, obviously, but it'll keep you enhanced.

Do note, however, that that's for common IOs, which will save you money in the long run. If you want to just get the gently caress on with it, SOs will work perfectly fine. loving around with sets takes a bunch of time and money, so it's only worth doing if you want to go balls to the wall on farming. If you're just going for "being poor sucks, I want to at least get SOs in my poo poo" tier money, then SOs (or common IOs) are all you really need.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

You can do that with Break Frees, but not Awakens. Those should be shut off because they drop often enough to get in the way, but not often enough that you're likely to get three to combine into something useful. And you can't just eat them, because they don't work if you're alive, so you wind up having to delete them or letting them sit in the tray.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The impressions I have gotten as to why Energy Melee is kind of crap are as follows:

1: The only AOE it has is Whirling Hands, and it does not do enough damage to justify its ~2.5 second cast and 14 second recharge.
2: Its big hits of Total Focus and Energy Transfer also have glacial animations and recharges, and again, not enough damage to justify how long they take.
3: Its "special trick" power is a single target lieutenant-grade stun with a slow animation, and its recharge is way longer than its duration, so you can't even try to stack it on a boss.
4: Barrage, Energy Punch, and Bone Smasher are not nearly good enough to make up for the above three deficiencies.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Beast Run/Ninja Run are good enough that you can get by without a real travel power, but real travel powers are better enough that they're a solid investment if you can spare a power pick for them.

Note that there's also the Rocket Board, Magic Carpet, and Void Skiff (which are mechanically identical, like how Ninja Run and Beast Run are basically the same). It lets you fly, but shuts off all of your toggles. I think it's faster than Beast Run + Sprint, but I can't remember and can't be assed to check. Having your toggles shut off shouldn't be a huge problem for a beast/sonic Mastermind, though.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Spanish Matlock posted:

https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Mastermind_Numpad_Pet_Controls

Do yourself a favor and sort this out sooner rather than later. Your teammates and your future self will thank you.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Mastermind_Numpad_Pet_Controls

Same content, different link. Wikia's sites are all ad-riddled dumpster fires that manage to somehow find new ways to make things worse.

As for Warshades, I found it helped to stop thinking of Dwarf Mire as another Sunless Mire and think of it as more of a PBAOE Follow Up. I wound up keeping all three forms on my Warshade just because the Nova form has AOEs, and the Dwarf form has taunts. They were handy if I needed to fill in those roles, because human Warshade can't AOE or hold aggro nearly as well as the dedicated forms.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Because, around launch and for maybe 6 months after, it was. Server populations were at their absolute peak, zones were busy, and street sweeping in hazard zones remained the favored method of fast leveling for quite a while until missions got beefed up and more interesting zone-based arcs like Striga were implemented.

It was a valid approach given the state of the game at the time but that population didn't last, and it's likely a consequence, at least in part, of so much dev time and effort needing to be spread across so many zones, leading to the perception that things were static and stagnating. The devs knew they needed to scale back to focus on really fleshing out zones and making them more dynamic, but perhaps it was an error to do it (at first) by adding even more zones rather than revamping the unused old zones as they eventually did.

A common complaint at the time is that the city zones that the game funneled you through naturally were old and busted, and the arcs the game heavily pointed you towards were janky bullshit. Revamping those zones would have been helpful, because then players would stop being shoved into boring zones and pointed towards garbage arcs full of patrols and kill-alls and street hunts, but the response was usually "revamping an old zone and making a new zone take the same amount of effort, and wouldn't you rather have a new zone?" The players would then point to the "new zones" that stand empty and forgotten, but I don't think there was ever much response to that.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It's also why mission completion bonuses were low to non-existent in the early days. The thought was that you'd take a mission, and stop and fight along the way. The idea that "if I choose to do a task, I want to go directly to that task instead of taking a fucktrillion detours" did manage to get through, at least.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

They're aliens of pure energy who are squids, merged with a human, to get a baffling array of powers.

They, and all other archetypes, are unlocked by default.

:goonsay: The squids are patterned after an alien called the Mefnanim. The true form of Kheldians is the glowing ball of light, because they're energy beings. The true form of Nictus (and Warshades) is a ball of inky darkness, but you don't see unbound Warshades. The shapeshifting is because they "remember" stuff with which they'd previously merged and can turn into it.

For the sake of completeness and to save the trouble of looking it up yourself, Bright Nova are Mefnanim, Dark Novas are Hulnanim, White Dwarves are Kurukt, and Black Dwarves are Ruktur.

To add something actually relevant, while I really liked my Warshade back in the day, they're fiddly bastards to build and play, and I don't have a ton of experience with Peacebringers, but I don't think the whole "Warshades are pretty good, Peacebringers less so" thing has changed.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Mostly I don't know why you'd want to do a "melee Sentinel," because that strikes me as missing the point. If you want melee and defense powers, why not just be a Scrapper?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

If you want a rapier, you can find one in Dual Blades, along with a main gauche. Or main droite, if you put it in the right hand.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think it's the whole "pivot away from it just as it was about to hit the big payoff" bit that sticks the most.

Speaking of Praetoria, I just got another Praetorian out of there, and was reminded of the myriad reasons they tell you not to start there. It's not just things like "the big Arachnos reveal won't land if you've never heard of them before," it's also previously mentioned things like "the mission maps are loving enormous," "the enemies hit really god drat hard for their level," and "I heard you like ambushes, so we put an ambush in your ambush so you can get jumped while you're being sneak attacked."

I did it as an Arsenal/Arsenal Dominator, so my stealth cloak helped me avoid most of the fights on the giant slog maps, but on the stuff where I had an NPC "helper," for these last few I just went ahead and called in a buddy with a heal because if you don't have a way to heal your helpers, they'll eventually get worn down by attrition.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

A big reason that the contacts had stand-alones and filler is because if you wanted to do missions, that was it. You had to do those, because there was no source of infinitely repeatable missions yet. I don't think anything like that really existed until papers in City of Villains, and later radios in City of Heroes. Why bother cluttering up the redside contacts with nigh-contextless "go to this place, punch these dudes" missions when people who want that can just do a paper job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Brutes also get a full meter from Frenzy, the Villain alignment power.

Heroes get Call to Justice, which is a PBAOE Build Up, and that's nice for Masterminds.