Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I don't think I've had anything but positive experiences with CoX pubbies. Either now, or when I played in the past. It's got to be the most pug friendly game I've ever played, even when everything goes wrong it still manages to be fun and people seem to stay good humoured.

Not saying the crazy isn't out there, and maybe I've been lucky so far... but it's not like there's ever been a shortage of loving weirdo goons either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

clone on the phone posted:

So what’s the Titan Weapon secret you need to figure out?
I dunno. But the street justice secret is it makes really satisfying bone crunching sounds, and if you do a shin break after you've knocked someone down it looks like you're stamping on their stupid face as they're trying to get back up.

I feel this is far more important than dee pee ess.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I still think Kinetic Melee has some serious Real rear end Potential with the second wave of ATO sets. On a Stalker you're looking at pretty insane synergy with the Assassin's Strike proccing Hide for a guaranteed follow up crit, the tier 9 recharging Build Up on a crit, and the second Stalker proc recharging Build Up in whatever other power you wanna throw that in.

Put a Gaussian's proc in Build Up and reap the rewards of that double Build Up life.

You could do something similar for a Scrapper as well, keeping Power Siphon and the stacking damage buff going constantly, but I dunno if that makes up for the loss of Assassin's Strike.
KM is good, but it's not quite as good in practice as it is on paper. The t9's attack animation is a billion years long, and AFAIK as a trade off for recharging build up it doesn't do crit damage from hide. So even with build up, it doesn't hit quite as hard as say crushing uppercut in SJ, which hits like two trucks duct taped to a freight train.

The second stalker proc is a flat 5% chance for any (well "most") attacks to recharge build up btw, it doesn't matter what you slot it in.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Merilan posted:

I'm thinking of a Defender, Rad is traditionally strong and seems moreso with Defender numbers; what about secondaries though? Should I just eschew damaging sets and go for something with powerful riders like Dark? (I think I could entirely tank an enemy's tohit with Rad's toggle and Dark...)
On a defender you can probably do it with just the toggle.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You trade a little AOE from an AOE heavy set for an auto-crit instant cast extreme damage single target attack.

Sounds like a good trade off to me.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Brute attacks all have a taunt component.

e: taunt stops mobs running, it forces them to fight you. tbh it's only really an issue when farming, because having to run mobs down drags on your efficiency. I wouldn't worry about it otherwise.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 31, 2019

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The taunt prevents the panic effect AFAIK, so they'll keep swinging at you in that burn patch until they're nice and crispy.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

All stalkers are a bit end hungry now, it's the price you pay for the power to make whatever's in front of you instantly dissolve.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I'm not 100% sure what triggers it. If it's fire damage then blazing should do the trick, explosive is smashing damage though so it might not.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Old_Screwtape posted:

I don't remember the exact calculation off-hand, but basically procs are more valuable in powers that have a longer recharge (for example, the calculation forces a proc to activate in a power with a longer than one minute recharge to maintain the approx.
They're not more valuable in longer recharge powers, they're exactly as valuable. Although with long recharge you can control when they trigger to some extent, which is handy for certain things (gaussian's build up for example).

A flat percentage massively favoured short cooldowns, since a 10% chance every 3 seconds is more than 10% every 10 seconds (numbers out my rear end just for an example). With PPM, it'll trigger on average the same number of times whatever power it's slotted in.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 3, 2019

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Safeguards are so boring. They're just a chore to get out of the way. I actually had no idea there was extra stuff to do, since I always quit the moment the villain has been uppercutted the requisite number of times.

Mayhems on the other hand are always something to look forward to. They're a glorious orgy of exploding bus stops and ragdolling cops.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Getting defensive about bullshit timewasting mechanics in subscription based games has to be a form of Stockholm syndrome.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Deadmeat5150 posted:

What IOs do I need to slot for my /storm dude to make Hurricane the most knockbacky is can be?
Knockback. It won't increase the rate though, just the force.

You'd probably be better slotting to debuff to-hit instead. It's really strong for that, even on a corruptor you can get it over -45% easily.

edit: also why are there no villain ATs in the OP? The prejudice is real guys!

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 4, 2019

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

At a guess: most damage types have secondary effects that aren't damage, fire's secondary effect is usually more fire.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Capping your defences cuts out a lot of the micro. Since you won't need purples anymore you can just make a couple of macros that combine small/medium inspirations into damage and spam them once in a while (you have to make two, the character limit won't allow you to do them all with one).

No idea if there's a way to do this in game, but if you don't mind running an external program like freepie or autohotkey, you can make it happen automatically. Either have the script fire the macros periodically or have it fire them every time you use another skill. Your tray will be continually filled with damage inspirations as you fight.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Spanish Matlock posted:

Is this more beneficial than just blocking defense inspirations/whatever else at the P2W vendor?
Blocked inspirations still drop, they just get deleted immediately. So overall you'll get fewer inspirations by blocking them.

mastajake posted:

Once I got incarnate stuff (took under two hours farming to go from level 49 to Hybrid unlocked) somewhat slotted I stopped worrying about inspirations altogether. They were just slowing me down.
Hey you do you man. Good inspiration management can keep you at (or close to) the damage cap for almost the entire run though.

My clear speed drops dramatically without it. Maybe my build's just poo poo though.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 18, 2019

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You can use ninja/beast run stacked with sprint.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Top 6 solo classes:

Stalker
Stalker
Stalker
Stalker
Brute
Scrapper

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dareon posted:

help i keep making alts
Sorry, there's no cure.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Neat, thanks. Strongly leaning towards ice/plant blaster if and when I give the game a try.

I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road.
I wouldn't roll a blaster as first character, they can be very frustrating before you know what you're doing. gently caress, they can be very frustrating after you know what you're doing. When people say they're glass cannons they're not kidding, you'll spend most of your time face planted.

If your heart is set on a caster, try a corruptor, dominator or controller. It can't be overstated how powerful controls and debuffs are in this game. You can permanently lock down entire spawns on your own.

You should totally roll a stalker instead though.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That's everyone below level 10. Every archetype gets a slow start.

Luckily with the XP boosts from the p2w vendor we don't have to put up with it quite so much any more. I highly recommend people abuse the gently caress out of them.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

site posted:

Is there any way to reject picking up common salvage like you can with recipes
I'm not sure, but what you can do is type /ah to open up the auction house and list them all for 1 inf.

It's a handy way to clear your inventory.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That's the scrapper version, stalker /energy gets a flat 20% rech bonus.

Once you get energy drain and energise your end troubles should go the way of the dodo.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Stalkers are what all scrapper's fathers secretly wish their sons were.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

i.e. the only break one law at a time rule.

If you've got your car doors stuffed full of Mary J, check that your lights work and don't break the speed limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dareon posted:

For a moment I thought "Did... did they fridge Peter's girlfriend in a way I was unaware of? :ohdear: "

I grew up with hippies, I should instinctively recognize weed names.
In the words of my favourite superhero... you're dark, and I kinda like it.