Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I'm guessing this doesn't include city of villains? I'm probably gonna play anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Also, sorry for the double post but is it possible or viable to actually level up the old fashioned way? I'm guessing mostly solo? I kind of enjoy the journey more than the endgame in MMOs so jumping to mad level isn't terribly enticing to me.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

spectralent posted:

Good news! There's a place called Oroboros where you can do all the content you outlevelled! There's not a lot you lose by being at max level.

That said, solo is viable with everything but probably easiest with a relatively sturdy DPS character, like a Brute or Scrapper, or maybe a Sentinel, PB, Soldier, or MM. I'd say the latter ones are all "good soloers", but they involve a bit more game knowledge if you're totally new.

For me it's not so much the content but the feeling of advancement and getting stronger, new abilities, etc. Which is why I tend to peeter out in MMOs as they become too slow to advance in, or the distance between meaningful improvement becomes longer and longer.

I'll give it a try today though. I haven't played coh since probably 2007 or 8.

Is the goon server very populous? Or should I check out a different one for that experience?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I made a street justice brute on the indomitable server.

how is this gonna pan out for solo stuff? Is street justice cool or does it not have enough AOE?

my name is bird justice

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
what's y'alls favorite ranged/blaster (or whatever) powerset? I want something that is fun and flashy but also powerful enough for good solo, I guess?

my first character bird justice is lvl 26 now. street justice/elec brute. he's pretty fun but a bit squishy. i realize a blaster or whatever is probably going to be a lot squishier, but I was hoping that they could maybe solo better due to the damage and ranged ability? I don't know.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Inzombiac posted:

Dark is an all-around great set. Change the look to soul noir and pick some light colors.
I'm running a Dark/Storm Corr right now and it's a blast. The natural -Acc on Dark attacks make it much easier to survive.

i may give that a try. i was eying energy rifle? because that seems new to me. at least i don't remember it back in 2005 or whatever.

also what are these epic archetypes i read about on the wiki? https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Peacebringer and warbringer?

are these available on these servers or are they lost to time?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

LordSaturn posted:

I like water blast, beam rifle's a good choice too, sets with mechanics own. I don't think there's any weak ranged sets, they're all pretty much fine

that said blasters aren't much easier to solo on than brutes. you're gonna rely heavily on bulldozing everyone with horrible AoE spam before they can hit you, range doesn't really enter into it

your brute really shouldn't be very squishy, maybe your build is shonky? what elec armor powers have you taken?

this is my uhh, build? I guess.

also, i ended up making a radiation melee guy because the powers sounded neat while I was going to make a ranged guy.

i went with bioarmor, is it any good? it seemed pretty neat and thematic.

i couldn't see the uhh, elite archetypes though during creation. is there a quest or something you have to do to unlock them?

also: attuned enhancements. people keep saying they scale forever, but some of them say their effectiveness only scales to ~25 or 35 or whatever. what's the deal? do they stop scaling or not?

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 6, 2019

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

winterwerefox posted:

Sets have a natural level range. 25-50, 10-20, 15-40, etc. Attuned sets act at your level, or their max, which ever is lower. They allow your set bonuses to level down with you when you team for lower level content. Exemplaring down, your sets shift to your new level, so do a level 25 Tf like Penelope Yin's on your level 50, with all level 50 sets, you lose your set bonuses. Do the same with all Attuned Sets, you keep all your set bonuses. If you had attuned sets that can only be slotted at level 25 or higher, and you did Positron's Tf, a level 15 Tf, you lose those set bonuses attuned or not.

A common thing to do in the PvP scene, such as it was, was to slot everything at level 30, because the zone Siren's Call was a hot spot PvP zone, and set your level to 30. The ease of geting attuned sets on the private servers made such moot.

Also, you may not know this, but you can stack up to 5 copies of a set. I bring that up because you have a different set in each power there when you could specialize your set bonuses toward one goal, like recharge, or more defense.

i had no idea about the stacking. thank you! that is pretty huge:\

that said, what are some recommended attuned sets for melee skills? i've been doing the yellow ones because well, they're a lot cheaper. but i don't know how to craft attuned ones, the non attuned versions are pretty cheap to craft.

i really wanted to do the gladiator one but it's like 40 million influence for a full set.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 6, 2019

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
what should i turn my spider man into? crab or bane? i don't really know what their specialties are. i assumed crab was a tank but it gets a ton of attack powers, bane also does.

i just wanna be a ranged aoe gun man but it seems like they are both that pretty much

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
What’s going on with the game these days? I checked it out when the thing first surfaced and some dude power leveled me in some weird tiny dimension where you could set monster level and poo poo so I got bored p quick. I guess it was some kind of farming strat cause I was a fiery spike man I think

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Neurion posted:

I wanna make a Scrapper with Titan Weapons primary, but what's a good secondary to give him? I've done Willpower before and that's really good, but I wanna know if I'm missing out on something that might pair better.

Fire?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Are TW new? I don’t remember that from when I played before

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Hunter Noventa posted:

They were introduced towards the end of the game being Live, but the people running Homecoming have added a few new sets and a whole new AT.

That’s neat. So they’re pretty good? I never really played melee much cause assault rifle was so fun

I love big aoe

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
what is the most populated server?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Diephoon posted:

Homecoming - Excelsior.

Thanks! Still super lost. Leveling a tw invulnerable scrapper and it’s pretty fun. The momentum system is kind of confusing and I’m still not quite sure why sometimes my skills take 2 minutes to swing but I’ll get it eventually probably

Also attuned enhancements sure are expensive

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

LordSaturn posted:

momentum is a 5-second buff you get after one of your TW attacks connects. as long as momentum is up, you get the fast animations for your TW attacks, instead of the slow ones. nothing refreshes momentum except the set's Build Up variant, which adds 10 seconds to your current momentum, including if it was at 0.

so outside of the buildup, you're essentially looking at having to do a long animation, followed by a flurry of short animations, then another long animation, every five seconds or so

two of the TW attacks have no "long" variant - they only work while momentum is on

invuln is kind of bad, iirc, you may get stuck in the endurance doldrums around 35, but that's fixable

Oh :( didn’t know. What is better than invuln?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Diephoon posted:

You really don't need to be super optimal to have fun with this game, if you're having fun playing the character then keep at it.

Re: Endurance issues- you can mitigate a lot of them by slotting specific enhancements into your health and stamina passives. I'm just going to quote myself here.

If this is your first character on homecoming though it's unlikely you have the resources to get these enhancements. I'd be happy to hook you up with some and/or a small pile of influence if you like, assuming you're playing on Homecoming - Excelsior.

I'd like to reiterate that the most important thing in this game imo is being invested in your character. I don't remember how many characters I made before I settled on my Arachnos Soldier as my first main. Once I got him to end game just playing the game made me millions of influence which I could then use to enhance up any future characters I became interested in building. I played COH as a kid but I don't think I ever got much higher than the 20s since I didn't really understand what was going on back then. If you like it and you're having fun with it, then stick with it. You can make a million more characters later if you want to.

yeah... trying to find something i really gel with has been hard.

I started playing an arachnos widow using this build https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/11319-best-of-both-blood-widower-fortunado-build/ (no idea if it's still good or not since it was in 2019)

it's been OK. I just got to 28 and am doing my lvl 24 respec to fortuna. I'm not really sure i'm going to like it though? I spent like 30 mil on enhancements and am having trouble convincing myself to slot them

Think part of the problem is I like having strong aoe and the guide said it did but I’m looking now and there’s only like 2 aoe skills

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 20, 2021

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I’ve been playing fairly regularly the last week or two

You may see me in game arguing with chuds in general as * Fist, jazz fist, moist fist, balmy fist etc

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 1, 2021

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Anyone tried rock scrapper yet? Is it good

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Gynovore posted:

Made a stone/stone brute. They tweaked Stone Armor so that it's no longer Granite Armor: The Powerset anymore. Rock Armor is beefier, Minerals buffs your recharge, Crystal gives you endurance (but it still costs endurance so eh).

It's all right but not amazing.

oops i meant stone melee, myb

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Gynovore posted:

Great single target damage, AoEs are weak. They gave the AoEs a bit of a boost in the last patch, but still not great. Still not a bad choice for non-farmers.

ah ok. i thought i remembered people saying stone melee scrapper was gonna be op af whenever it eventually happened. wasn't sure if it was nerfed for scrappers specifically. brutes could already use stone melee right?

edit: just wondering if it's competitive with energy melee i guess lol

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Gynovore posted:

If you don't give a poo poo about AoE, Stone is probably at or near the top. You get a huge fuckoff AoE at the incarnate level anyway so eh.

Energy Melee is generally considered kinda sucktastic.

oh poo poo really? lol last i played it seemed like it was considered the best. i'll try stone melee, it's always been one of my fave sets anyway

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
seismic blast seems kinda cool, though my blasters only like lvl 14

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i find radiation melee to be pretty fun even not on a farmer. energy melee feels chunky which is cool. I wish super strength was better (compared to the best sets? I guess?) cause it feels really good aesthetically/sound design wise

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

DeathSandwich posted:

Has anyone had lot of luck running a corrupter using one of the more aggressive or non-healing secondary skillets? Been thinking about making like a radiation / sonic corrupter or something of that nature.

i have a fire/time and water/time corruptor, they're both fun. Dark is supposed to be good too. idk if they're offensive enough for what you want.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
^ I just throw crushing impact in everything on melee pretty much, positrons blast on aoe ranged and uhh dont remember the others. Basically any 6 set with accuracy and or global cooldown reduction as a set bonus

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

DEKH posted:

They actually did nerf Hasten. The changes that have been made to how procs activate have made Hasten unnecessary for a lot of classes and builds. The more recharge you put in a build the less likely procs will activate, so now a lot of elite tier builds eschew recharge bonuses completely.

The only AT it's absolutely necessary are Dominators.

When did that happen? Feels like nearly every build I’ve seen had recharge out the wazoo

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
It’s really easy generally to find a AE farmer with room for dead beats. Just ask in the AE tower in atlas plaza and in general if AE has room for a sitter.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
At least it’s not YouTube commenter

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

I played with someone a couple times who had over 120 characters at 50 and maxed out. All they did was AE farm. They threw out over a billion credits in the two times I played with them to the sitters as they farmed. Very nice but super weird. They also always ran 2-3 characters multiboxxed minimum.

Claimed to be the biggest farmer on the server (excal) and I would not be surprised if they were.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I will blitz dfb forever and ever amen

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Fearless_Decoy posted:

So aside from the mentioned defense shenanigans, there's one new arc, one new repeatable contact, the ITF getting the Aeon difficulty settings, a powerset and a half that I don't think was on anyone's radar, a bucket of costume stuff, and some other RP toys.

Oh, the Mercy Island AE building burned down due to fire farms. (The Atlas Park AE lost their lease, so folks will actually have to zone transition at least once before getting power leveled to 50). Also, once you hit 50, no more XP from AE unless you're in a Dev Choice arc.

whats the new powerset?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i read a few pages back a little bit about them nerfing inf farming in AE? how did they do they? did they dumpster fire and rad or something?

will be very sad if I can't farm effectively on my rad/fire brute now. veterans with tens of billions of inf from farming ae already got theirs :(

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Have the relative prices of stuff come down since the gutting of inf farming?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Ah ok. I still had lots of sets I wanted and since they were always crazy expensive I turned to inf farming. Never made enough to buy everything and I don’t really play enough to build up inf the traditional way.

Hopefully prices are low enough that I can maybe buy some

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Jazerus posted:

yeah just play the game. there is no need to do anything fancy or repetitive to get money and gear up, the inf will be there when you need it as long as you're doing any kind of structured content at all - story arcs, TFs, flashbacks, everything has merits attached that convert quickly to cash on demand.

im a weirdo who enjoys the leveling process and likes to twink the poo poo out of alts so farming is/was very appealing to me so i could feed that addiction (making new characters)

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
thinking of trying a tanker since they're in a good spot w/ dmg and tankiness compared to scrappers and brutes. i've also never played one before.

what powerset should I try if I want to be both very stronk and also flashy? I'm not a huge fan of weapon sets (like AR or titan weapons).

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
thanks for the recommendations. I decided to try a savage melee/radiation tanker first. and am going to level another one as well, not sure on the powerset though.

may try fire, ice or electric for the dmg set with shield

also the prices of enhance sets have gone up dramatically. it's like 3-5mil inf each for a mid lvl melee set which is wild to me. and here i thought prices would drop with the ae nerf.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Is there a way to lock your level/not receive xp anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
What makes that combo so good on a stalker?