Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

smh if gokuweedlord420 isn't the hero paragon city needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Willpower is kind of the fix to Regen in that it's very clearly a 2.0 design of the same set that doesn't have the "you're either invincible or you die instantly" problem of putting all your eggs in one basket so I have no idea what you'd do with the original one without making them even more samey

More buttons and working Absorb in maybe but that also kind of brushes up against Bio's gimmick

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

if I just wanted to be OP Superstrength is my pick because Footstomp is just the most ridiculous power ever

i have a personal beef with TW in that it isn't compatible with flight but it's not a bad set by any means

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

so i noticed something about Titan Weapons: It's got Defensive Sweep as its first attack on Tankers. Does that mean you get a parry that bruises everyone it hits as well?

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

my only disappointment is that Spring Attack from leaping doesn't cause the 8x "WHAM" SFX that Shield Charge does

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I'm thinking of a Defender, Rad is traditionally strong and seems moreso with Defender numbers; what about secondaries though? Should I just eschew damaging sets and go for something with powerful riders like Dark? (I think I could entirely tank an enemy's tohit with Rad's toggle and Dark...)

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Crasical posted:

Beasts is weird to me because It's mostly wolves BUT ALSO LIONS.

EDIT: I mean if it went Wolves / Lions / A Bear then it would bug me less, but it's Wolves/Lions/BIG WOLF and that just screws with me for some reason.

that's because it basically goes dogs / cats / dog

a grave sin indeed!!! they can't coexist!!

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Caidin posted:

I'mma be honest, it bothers me that this extremely superhero MMO has little to no gorilla representation and that would have been as good a place as any.

i remember champions online's big thing they advertised was "ooh look at how robust our character creator is you can make gorillas!"

that was like the only thing that was noteworthy about the char creator lol

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Brave New World posted:

I'm in hard disagreement with this. CO's character creation and CoX's seem to perfectly overlap with each other's strengths and weaknesses. There are things I want to do in each game that I can't, but can do perfectly in the other. Overall, CoX's is easier to work with, but CO's has more potential variety(especially with faces).

tbh I mostly remember the faces looking incredibly uncanny valley-esque and unpleasant, but fair enough

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I usually just stretch Kinetics out for any concept that can like, bestow power or boons upon others like a wise sage or a tech doctor something because "controls friction and inertia" is an insanely specific and narrow powerset

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

the correct thing to do to protect yourself if someone asks is "are you chaining teleports and stealthing to the end" and if the answer is "no" don't bother

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I genuinely don't get why they don't start you off at the bank in Safeguards

Having newbies fumble and fail them because they don't realise you have to zip *straight* to the bank, no matter how far away it is, is pretty kludgy design

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

MechaCrash posted:

The way the banks work, not that the game explains this, is that the robbery doesn't start until you get close enough (250 feet originally, 50 in Homecoming), or after five minutes have passed since someone entered the mission. So while there isn't time to go dicking around all over the map, there is enough time to wait for everyone to get in the drat mission and get their poo poo set up.

If you trigger the bank robbery by charging towards it before everyone (or at least enough people) are ready, you can fail it because the two or three people that drip in get their poo poo wrecked, and then the bank robbers escape because nobody's in position to stop them.

Huh, I didn't know that. It always seemed like "THE BANK IS BEING ROBBED" basically triggered immediately and you had to gun for it or fail. It might be the 250 ft. radius in live doing that, though

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

you know that made me realise you literally couldn't make a swords and guns character for all of coh live

and by how melee sets worked you couldn't make a stalker with a pistol either, conversely

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Brave New World posted:

You just reminded me about something I had completely forgotten about. Near the end, we had a ton of recipes for limited use stuff like guns and baseball bats. Are those even a thing on Homecoming? I haven't seen a single one drop yet. If they're available, you could keep remaking those guns whenever you use one up.

yeah but they'd be pretty weak since you can't slot them, could you

I guess Dual Pistols/Ninja is the closest you'd get to making Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series though

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

FrostyPox posted:

I remember a lot of people asked for a dual pistols scrapper set so you could make a kick-rear end gunfu equilibrium character and the devs expressly said they would never make a melee set that revolved around ranged weapons.

I suppose the Martial secondaries for Blasters and Dominators were an attempt to do something like this. I haven't played any of them extensively but /Martial Blaster has been fun for the like four levels I've played it.

I kinda wish Controllers and Doms got a Martial Control primary, like throwing nets and bolas and even more caltrops and other fun kungfu shenanigans like that

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

khy posted:

I cannot for the life of me come up with a good name for my latest character.

A cyborg from the future, sent back to the past as an experiment. He's only supposed to be there an hour but due to erronious math is now stuck there for a century. He's found a way to get home sooner, by draining the excess energy of the temporal shift and use it to enhance his cybernetic defenses. So the more he fights, the sooner he can return home.

And I'm happy with everything EXCEPT THE drat NAME I cannot come up with anything good.

the Overtime Commuter

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Yeah, there's been a LOT of improvements to it in its 8-year run but even back at 2004 it did a lot of things right that a lot of games even now still struggle or ignore, like play accessibility in the form of sidekicking/exemplaring (which only got better and more streamlined over time).

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Harrow posted:

Having also not really played it when it was live, I can absolutely see why people missed this game so much. There really isn't anything else like it, and other superhero MMOs look so rigid and conventional by comparison.

I honestly can't think of many MMOs that I tried back in 2004 that was remotely as accessible; I tried maybe FF11 which I pinged off really hard because it was inaccessible since I never played or got used to its Everquest-like structure, and WoW had not come out yet

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Ghost of Starman posted:

I remember it's a relatively simple fix, but:
can someone help me make the default targeting not the complete opposite of what I want/expect? I.e., when I hit Tab, I don't want it to target the absolute furthest-away next enemy.

tbh personally I've just bound Target Nearest Enemy to ` (tilde) since like 2004 and my muscle memory is firmly ingrained that way

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Dr Tasty posted:

How exactly do you build for AOE damage as a melee person - scrapper, brute, tanker, or otherwise? Is that a thing? I've gone with a few groups and am not really sure how this all works. The mobs seem to melt as I struggle to ready up a power to hit a single target. I get how it works wtih blasters and controllers, but not scrappers. I am having trouble sticking with a character, because I don't really understand how all of these power sets and power combinations work at a higher level and want to try out everything. I don't exactly have a lot of free time, so I don't feel great about committing to something until I know more about it. Is there somewhere that has a breakdown of all the power sets and how they play/feel?

If you want heavy AoE on a melee character, Spines and Claws are both great for it. Most standard sets will have one good AoE attack (usually a point-blank AoE), but those sets in particular have multiple.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Spines comes with the stipulation it stops dead once a boss or higher shows up. I honestly don't get the spines/x love.

i honestly get endless enjoyment high-jumping after activating Ripper to do super long somersaults to notice my dps is low on a boss as spines

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

HPanda posted:

I think some of these mission door locations are busted. Just took on a mission to rob a bank in Cap Au Diable while the Luddites attacked power lines nearby. So I entered the mission by going to...Port Oakes. A small, out of the way motel in Port Oakes. And inside that motel was the famous Cap Au Diable bank, complete with gremlins who emerge from Cap Au Diable's powerlines.

The real evil behind everything in Paragon City and the Rogue Isles is the passageway connecting doors to mission instances

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

having made a Beasts MM i now face the most dire challenge of my quest

help!! which emotes can my doggos use with /petsay! how can I pet my doggo!!

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I honestly haven't even heard of those servers until the announcement

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

don't identify her as s/he when she identifies as a woman, maybe

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Hakarne posted:

For a Brute, do you think I'd be better off softcapping melee + AOE or melee+ ranged? I can do 2 relatively cheap and maybe all 3 if I want to spend like 2 bil

AOE tends to be the rarest type of attack, and almost always has the highest amount of recharge time after the alpha strike so I'd focus on Melee and Ranged if you can't get it all

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Thundarr posted:

Apparently I'm an idiot, can somebody break down for me how exactly I convert Incarnate Threads into alpha slot mats (i.e. Essence of the Incarnate)? I have gone through every tab and every heading and can only see how to convert shards into threads, but not the other way.

Go to Convert > Incarnate Thread and you should see the ability to convert various rarities of ingredients for Threads. The recipe you want for a given Incarnate ability is usually the second recipe under Create.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Thundarr posted:

OH! I think I see now. I was confused since those were different mats than was listed on the Create tab, but I actually had to scroll down on the Create tab to see the option to use those mats to make the ability. It wasn't letting me scroll down on that tab at first since I had to double click the slot, otherwise as soon as I stopped mousing over it the ability to scroll was lost. Thanks, I think I can actually get a thing slotted now!

No worries, it's incredibly unintuitive since it's kludged into the existing UI and I had troubles with it first. And yeah, good catch with having to click the slot, and only then having the ability to scroll down. Glad to hear you solved it!

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

World Famous W posted:

I actually didn't know that so my joke taught me something!

Is it just a general rule for effectiveness or is it only three will actually work?

This link explains it in more detail but essentially there's a diminishing return, and after a certain point the values fall off a cliff when stacking multiple of the same type of enhancement, and the rule of thumb is that 3 of a single type is as much as you can put in before it gets pointless

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Relentless posted:

Willpower's auto-taunt aura gives you +Regen, so the more trouble you're in the more you heal.

The one that's going to steal the show is Shield, as it gets a damage buff and a teleport and you can pick up another teleport attack in Fighting and never walk, just instapunch from group to group.

I'm finding Willpower to kinda have trouble holding aggro with just its aura compared to other sets, so it might not be the "laziest" in terms of stickiness; something with a damage aura and AoE attacks (like Shield) would have an easier time of it, I think.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Coward posted:

Wait, Shield has a damage aura now?

No, I misspoke; Shield has the AoE charge which is real effective at grabbing aggro, plus the standard taunt aura (Against All Odds), so it's a bit better than a set that only has a passive taunt aura.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

LordSaturn posted:

are damage auras more effective at aggroing mobs than non-damage negative auras?

I think stickier sets tend to have both, which would be ideal? I'm not sure at present.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Fire Blast comes to mind for just 'press button, get big satisfying bang!'.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

They're both good imo; Staff is also one of the sets with a Parry (and it's a pretty long cone AoE) so it both is nice for maxing out your defences while also grabbing aggro

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Admittedly on a Tanker I was more interested in Staff for the sheer AoE reach for aggro management, but yeah, that's a good question.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Honestly I was real excited to make Staff work on a Tanker but the damage was so abysmally low that it just took ages to solo anything. I was around level 24 or so before I gave up with it, since even with IOs my Sands of Mu was doing more damage than my actual attacks.

I guess it'd be okay if you never planned on soloing anything. The extra reach and AOE was nice for keeping things aggroed, but my next Tanker attempt was Ice/Ice and everything sticks to me like glue and the damage feels much better.

Ah yeah, I play with some friends all the time so I was happy to just pretend I was using a Spear (despite the really lame wood-thwack SFX) and let everyone else Blast away

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

could you make Repel great by slotting KB to KD on it

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I wouldn't say great, but it'd be less poo poo? You'd still have to be really up close to anything to make it work and it'd be constantly sapping your endurance on top of the toggle's gigantic end cost as it is, and both of those are probably things you don't want.

yeah I guess it'd be way more work than it's worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Having the option to insta-switch and having the alignment missions be worth 40 merits is about the best of both worlds as you can get. You're not screwed if someone's calling for content you want to do on the wrong side, but the alignment system is still worth doing since it's about the most casual method to get rewards that doesn't require you to be in a storyarc/TF/Trial/etc.