Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Just like a lot of the rest of base building, it's all down to trickery. There are a couple different items that work as teleport objects, so it's all about which one you use and how well you obscure it. One trick I've seen for doors is having the door very slightly ajar, and putting a portal on the wall behind it. Personally I've also used the Black Hole which is slightly smaller and less visually noisy than most of the other portals, and the Interdimensional Shard which is much smaller. The shard is more of a 3d object so you can also clip it most of the way into a wall or other object so that it's mostly hidden, but still clickable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

juggalo baby coffin posted:

help i'm going insane

A recreation of a DCUO character, but he fits in well enough here.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Are there any good tutorials on SG base building? Because so far the couple that I've found have been pretty lackluster.

Get a good idea of how you want things laid out early, because even though there's an option to move rooms around I've never gotten it to work and if you make a mistake early on you either have to work around it or rebuild everything. I strongly recommend just placing a bunch of rooms to start with so you get a good idea of how exactly it works in regards to how much space you need between them, and how doors get placed. It's actually not a bad idea to place much bigger rooms than you think you need, then just raise the floor/lower ceiling to close off the squares you don't want because if you place a bunch of small rooms instead those all need to be connected by separate "doorway" rooms.

Important hotkeys to make things actually look good:

F3 turns off room clipping, so you can embed objects inside other objects or clip them through walls. You will absolutely want to do this.
F1 adjusts the granularity of how much objects will snap to the grid, even letting you turn it off completely. For putting things on top of other things or getting an objects position just right.
F2 is angle snap. Haven't gotten much use out of it yet.

Shift+Left click lets you drag an object on only the Z axis
Ctrl+Left Click moves an object along the X and Y
Alt+Left Click, Ctrl+Alt+Left Click and Shift+Alt+Left Click all let you rotate objects in various ways and angles

Go here https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,1345.0.html for a thread with some other stuff like setting music, and there might be other useful info in it if you poke around a bit.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Yeah, a lot of the serious base builders have been using that trick to make their multi floored night clubs and office buildings. Just buy that one huge room that takes up almost the entire base plot, do all your actual building floating in the void way up above. And it almost universally looks like garbage. Turns out it takes a whole lot of careful planning and design chops to completely model a full 3d environment with the limited tools available in the base builder, and even more to actually make it at all interesting.

Strongly recommend going going to the Homecoming servers and browsing the various server shard subforums for their base directories, and popping into a few of them. You'll see some wild poo poo. And some just plain poo poo.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I play on Everlasting instead of Indom because I greatly prefer the bonkers insanity of RP servers (it's actually a bit tamer than I was expecting, but I also stay out of Pocket D) but the last week or so seems to have slowed down in general, probably due to both a major content release in WoW and a new expansion for FFXIV. Usually populated enough that you should at least be able to find a group at any hours.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
The first costume slot is always Arachnos only, while your others can be anything but Arachnos. Sadly this means you can't have two different uniforms with, say, different colors or one with the helmet off.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

John Murdoch posted:

My experience on Everlasting has been that there are some pretty patient and cool folks managing the iTrial scene but they're a bit overconfident in just how specced out the population is and their overall level of experience.

((Hello, can I get an invite? You'll see that I've only taken two powers from my primary and the default from my secondary, but they're fully slotted and I've taken every Power Pool in their place because they fit my character concept. Cool, thanks, the character name is Mewcifer Nyamaste, I'll just be a second while I set up the rest of my text macros.))

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Eventually, once the poison runs it's course, you'll be left with several pages of characters and at best an inability to decide which one to play. If you find yourself staring at the selection screen for several minutes, or logging onto one only to immediately log back out because you don't really want to play that one anyway, don't bother seeking outside help. It's already terminal.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Any server that isn't running the pure vanilla client seems to be based off of a build that already had some custom stuff added to it, like I think a new trial that was never on live, a new city zone that was never finished, a couple powersets that were never released, and the Sentinel archetype. The largest of them, Homecoming, has also made a couple more changes from there, the biggest probably being a change to the way sniper abilities work (while out of combat you will always do the chargeup animation, in combat it will always be instant, damage scaling is increased.)

They've talked about making other various changes and the possibility of actual new content, but it's a really small team and the project exists entirely on donations, so we probably shouldn't expect anything wild.

I just want more placeable objects for my sewer base and I'll be happy.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I can see the line of thinking, to a degree. There might be a ranged powerset they like the theme of that doesn't have a melee equivalent, like water blast or dual pistols. Maybe they want to be a mostly punchy guy who occasionally pulls out an energy rifle to hose people down. And the game is so easily breakable that it'll probably work anyway. Now if they were to then start whining about how their weird theme build isn't viable in iTrials or whatever, that's when you can really laugh at them.

Maybe it's because I've been going into this weird corner of the community too deep, but if you really want to see some bizzarre attempts to twist the limited options of the game in truly mind blowing ways, the base building corner is pretty great. No in game support for something? Just pile up as many desks and bathroom stall doors (seriously) as you can until you can trick yourself into thinking "Yeah, that looks like a beach resort" if you kind of squint a little. Every building asset in the game warped and pounded to fit the shape of whatever highly specific theme the builder demands:

"I built a pipe organ!"

VoidTek fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 14, 2019

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
smh at all these cowards not on the roleplaying server. are you even really playing the game?

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

Judgement posted:

((Hello, can I get an invite? You'll see that I've only taken two powers from my primary and the default from my secondary, but they're fully slotted and I've taken every Power Pool in their place because they fit my character concept. Cool, thanks, the character name is Mewcifer Nyamaste, I'll just be a second while I set up the rest of my text macros.))

who did this. show yourself!

oh, the very post after mine. well, nevertheless,

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Yeah RP server is absolutely fine, just don't go to Pocket D for any reason except changing your alignment with the gull, and don't look around or make eye contact with anybody while you do it. That one I posted up there was spotted in Ouroboros, but they weren't like, making a scene or anything. You'll see people around with weird or really questionable poo poo in their bios all over the place, but the vast majority are pretty normal and inoffensive.

A lot of the most horrifying stuff I've seen was really obviously somebody doing a ~hilarious~ sendup of how most people view roleplayers, and even the true weirdos who actually venture outside of the Club or their private apartment bases generally keep to themselves and will ask upon joining a group what sort of stuff everybody is okay with.

The rp channel also sucks don't join it unless you just want you hear the sound of me punching 5th columnists in the face really loving hard and the splatter of their brains all over the walls, as I say "I've got your final solution right here you nazi scum" showing up occasionally in your chat feed with zero context.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I'm a swamp monster that lives in a sewer, splashes any groupmates near melee range with slime, and communicates only in belches and tortured english punctuated by heavy breathing through a snorkel.

Also in the game.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
was talked about but not actually implemented yet, iirc

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
i hate that guy because he uses almost the exact same gimmick as one of my alts that i've been playing on and off for weeks, but more boring, and he...jesus he went from 1-50 in four days. guess that's what chain running the mothership raid will do for you. personally when I ran one it just made me want to kill myself when it was all over.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
"TANKS AND BRUTES PULL MOBS INTO THE CENTER"
"what mobs? I don't see anything *walks forward five steps, at 10fps, twenty Rikti render around me* Oh. Huh."

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
yeah, unless I just don't know the One Weird Trick to getting playable frames. tried lowering resolution, geometry detail, texture detail, particle effects, shadows, and the best results were still only a gain of maybe 5 frames.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Weeks ago, there was somebody on Everlasting who had mentioned that they had over two hundred characters across multiple accounts. I wonder how many they're up to now, roleplaying with themselves, dancing the night away in one of the many terrible "RP City" bases.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
For a game that was around as long as it was before getting shut down, there just doesn't seem to be much there to keep me playing. Got my main to 50, dragged a ton of others into the alt graveyard that is the 20-30 range, helped build a cool base, laughed at some roleplayers, enjoyed playing with some other roleplayers, gradually lost steam.

It feIt absolutely great to be able to revisit the game though, and if it does manage to be kept alive for a while longer I can see myself returning occasionally when the mood comes back around again, just like I did when it was still live. I've tried going back to DCUO a few times and it's okay enough for being entirely a different beast, Champions is and always has been absolute garbage, but I'll always eventually get back in the mood to make some stupid new characters and Defeat All Snakes.

I'll probably still keep an eye on the supergroup base lists though, touring those was fantastic. Especially when a friend and I managed to stumble directly into people ERPing (or just normal RPing) while doing so, on more than one occasion!

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I can see why maybe they don't want people to have an instant teleport, with no cooldown, that can be used in combat, from anywhere including inside other bases and inside missions.

There's already a few easy ways to get a power that teleports you to your base, even if it does have a super long cooldown that maybe they could reduce a bit.

What I want to know is if the command could actually work to teleport you to other zones too if you just knew the right code to put in, because I'm not sure why the GMs would need an instant transmission that only takes them to supergroup bases. What are you hiding, GMs? What are the bases! I knew that "Suprano's Pizza" place was shifty looking!

VoidTek fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 20, 2019

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Arachnoids are horrible. I can't think of any other enemy type that was as much of a roadblock to my groups momentum as getting into that mission where you had to hunt a bunch of arachnoid bosses in the Grandville gutters, an instanced map that was just nothing but other identical arachnoid models. We rolled through sappers, psychics, and all those Dark Astoria missions without trouble, slag golems were a speed bump (albeit one with a few deaths), but arachnoids were just wipe after wipe. Defeat them. All of them.

I think only Lord Recluse gave us more trouble just because of his endless minions.

But since it's City of Heroes we just turned the difficulty back down to normal from where we had it and won.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Hello Heroes and/or Villains. Fellow goon, and lead designer of the Unofficial Roleplay Sewer supergroup base (visit on the Everlasting server at PROFITS-770,) Fendahleen (@boilinghands) just finished his masterpiece Architect mission arc the other day and we invite you all to check it out! I think AE missions are cross-server, so you don't even need to leave your non-rp safe space!

The mission is titled A Game of Thorns. Do you dare to enter the exciting and immersive world of Circle of Thorns Online, the hot new MMO sweeping Paragon City and the Rogue Isles? A mysterious message on your SCUMBAG app (Sociopath Criminals Undertaking Morally Bankrupt Assignments Gladly) draws you into Abraxis Entertainment's digital opus, and from there leads further into a conflict between two guilds and the lengths they'll go to secure their place at the top, with the conflict spilling out into the real world. There's a flumph in there too.

The mission is designed with Rogue/Villain alignment in mind, and despite the truly awful architect mission designer fighting him every step of the way, it seems to actually function the way it's supposed to (fun bugs during creation include text entries randomly disappearing, custom critters changing in size despite never being edited, objectives and dialogue just...deactivating at random, and more!) We did our best to balance things to avoid the usual problems with custom enemy groups, so that it should be doable by even low level characters without being instantly murdered by gremuloids. If you're an Incarnate or even a reasonably well built high level character you'll probably stomp all over it as a result, but that's not why you come to AE! You're here for...

Guild Drama!

Roleplayers!

Realistic Physics!

Ganking!

Grobuloids!

Freak Philosophy!

/em barf!

Cosplay!

and The Deepest Lore...

Rate and review, spread the word, or don't, because after all that time spent wrangling the editor he's probably just never going to touch the game again forever anyway. I just want the mission to go up the charts so people might actually see that missions that aren't fire farms occasionally exist, and also maybe some roleplayers will get mad.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Yeah there's an amazing amount of effort put into all the NPCs, dialogue, and everything else. I think I caught the last of the NPCs that didn't have any custom descriptions while we were testing. And then there's the Clues, and don't forget to claim your Souvenir ThornCon swag bag at the end!

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
"Reset Toon" button. This is violence, to me.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
For a good long while playing on Everlasting I was just reflexively taking screenshots every time I saw a character had a bio, regardless of it's content. My screenshot folder has over 600 images in it. I sometimes feel like if I went and sorted through them I could find some really amazing gems, but I also don't think that my sanity would come out intact.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

Diephoon posted:

Anybody play on Everlasting? I don't actually want to roleplay but I would like to see more (hopefully) well designed characters and I figure roleplayers would have more investment in creating them.

I'm not currently playing, but unless things have changed drastically as populations have gone down then Everlasting might have what you're looking for, yeah. You're still going to see your share of low effort gimmicks, and there are obviously going to be Pocket D weirdos, but overall it was a pretty good community and on balance you're probably going to see more people with bios than without. I've still got an enormous folder of screenshots I took of just character bios and costumes that I should get around to sorting.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Hello Dead Game Thread,

There's another Dev's Choice for Architect Entertainment wrapping up on the Homecoming servers, and as one of the entrants, SA member "Fendahleen" is bringing you another hit in his series of custom missions. I posted about A Game of Thorns previously, so I'm going to share his most recent work here to spread the word, because I don't have any idea if he actually still reads this particular subforum any more and he probably wouldn't self-promote even if he does. Since the theme of this contest was THE HOLIDAYS, I present to you:

quote:

Arc ID: 45220
Author: @boilinghands

(you can search in the AE interface for either of these things and it should pop up)

Description: Lord Recluse has abolished Christmas, and Grandville is in the grip of an anti-Christmas crackdown. Trees are torn down, gifts confiscated, carolers hit with riot hoses, and none dare resist. None, that is, but a rumor-shadowed figure who seeks those willing to defy Recluse's edict -- one the villains of the isles call only "The Sandman..."

The Most Wonderful Crime of the Year is a level 50, alignment-flexible Etoile arc, best experienced at a +?/x4 or higher difficulty level, with bosses enabled throughout and AVs turned on at least for mission 3, where they do more good than harm. Anyone completing the arc between now and the end of December can email me in-game with a brief summary of who their character is, and I’ll reply telling them what their gift from the Sandman was.

It's three missions long and features some familiar CoH characters, humor, eggnog, horrifying violence, and adorable puppies. You can access it from any of the servers so you don't even need to join us on the wretched hive of scum and roleplayers that is Everlasting. There's lots of mission text and dialogue to read, but if you want to just zoom through the drat thing and punch reindeer to death then whatever, knock yourself out.

You may not be able to actually vote the arc into the Dev's Choice, but you can at least vote it 5 to maybe give the judges a little encouragement! Don't let it get beat by the "Dance Party" arc, or the one that's like a bespoke mission set for a furry rat guild? I don't know, I didn't look too closely at that one.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I don't know a thing about them, they could be fine as people and as a guild, I just don't like their mission arc !!

But now that I know that they use a sewer as their base I am obligated to destroy them out of professional rivalry, being a member of The Unofficial Roleplay Sewer (admittedly my SG only consists of three members and a few dozen alts, but we do have a sewer base.)

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
the trick to costume contests is to go in with the expectation that you will lose, but get the opportunity to laugh at all the terrible costumes and/or rip off the good ones for your own later use. but i did once have somebody walk up to me after a contest and hand over several million influence because they liked Dumpster Fire, the flaming hobo. and all i had to do was waste like an entire hour afking at the periphery, tabbing in occasionally to rp emote

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Excelsior COWARDS. Come to Everlasting, the RP server.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

FrostyPox posted:

I have a water/bio Sentinel named Gross. He's a weird slime monster who shoots sewer water at people. I love him

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
theres a guy on Everlasting, which is already home to it's own Unique and Very Special population (like me), who is veteran level 13,000-something (13,859 last I looked, but it's got to be higher now.) just think of how many hamidon runs and itrials thats got to be, every day.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
they should just add a hand size slider instead. in fact, more sliders in general. let me go DK mode.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
without actually looking into any of the changes myself because i play a gimmick build controller who dies instantly as soon as anybody looks at them funny anyway; i'll take anything that makes high end team play even slightly less of a mindless steamroll, whether it be defense changes or aggro caps or what have you.

the rest of you can suffer like i already do.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
everlasting if you want to be a psycho degenerate surrounded by other psycho degenerates (roleplayers (like me and at least one other person here))

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

Soonmot posted:

Also: They really need to make a whip powerset.

from somebody on the RP server: no. absolutely not.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
spamming aoe immobs is how i have fun. suck it up losers.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I don't think a boring 5th Column contact is really any worse than some of the other fascist organizations, homicidal maniacs, and brutal corporate overlords villains already willingly work alongside. And all he even does is just ask you to like, pick up some weapon crates. But man, they had to have known how the community would react to it anyway.

It really is a boring arc though, I didn't even end up bothering with any of the followup contacts when I tried it. I think I read someone on the official forum saying it was the author's first work with the content creation tools, and intentionally designed as a really straightforward and simplistic series of missions that resemble content from the first couple issues of the game. Mission accomplished, I guess?

Oh well, I appreciate that they added anything at all for villain content. And low/mid level content in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
but sharkhead has d-mac!!