Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Super excited that this is back. Playing on Indomitable as HandjobofVecna. Nursing some other Taiwangoons through the levels. Hit me up if you see me in game.

Really disappointed that there isn't a "regular skeleton arm" option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Jazerus posted:

yeah, SOs aren't terribly expensive especially if you convert some merits into cash

I'm fully slotted out with SOs at 25 and I spent like... most of my teens/early 20s using the 100%xp/-100%infamy thing.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

blueberrysmith posted:

Am I doing this right? The eyes are complete googly eyes that wander which is amazing.

This is a good post because it reminded/informed me that there was a cel-shading option.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Neurion posted:

I'm loving punching poo poo super hard and knocking foes out of the way as Marina Liteyears.

Shake, shake!

This is very good. You're a very good person. Is there anything that approximates a clancer face? Asking for a friend.

Edit: You inspired me to take a stab at the Beastector. Not nearly as good, but as close as I could get probably.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 9, 2019

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

drat Dirty Ape posted:

How long does it take to level one of these farming brutes in those AE missions? It might be worth it to give me the freedom to do whatever I want with my army of alts.

I imagine you can use that x2 xp thing from the p2w vendor to level until you're ready to farm inf?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

TGLT posted:

At level 45, my fire brute still gets about a level a mission when soloing at +4/x8. Missions are maybe 10-20 minutes? Of very brain dead hitting the aoe buttons to do the aoe stuff.

Yes, although AE missions have a base reduction to XP on Homecoming. It's still crazy amounts of EXP though.

Honestly I haven't gotten around to levelling a ton of alts, but I found that that buff was a great way to catapult myself to like early 20s just by running missions with friends.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Neurion posted:

Now I'm tempted to make Lunar.

Through fire, justice is served!

What server do you play on?

I'm usually on redside on Indomitable. I'll probably finish the COV content before hitting up any of the 10 alts I've made so far

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

tooterfish posted:

Capping your defences cuts out a lot of the micro. Since you won't need purples anymore you can just make a couple of macros that combine small/medium inspirations into damage and spam them once in a while (you have to make two, the character limit won't allow you to do them all with one).

No idea if there's a way to do this in game, but if you don't mind running an external program like freepie or autohotkey, you can make it happen automatically. Either have the script fire the macros periodically or have it fire them every time you use another skill. Your tray will be continually filled with damage inspirations as you fight.

Is this more beneficial than just blocking defense inspirations/whatever else at the P2W vendor?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

TBH as fun as redside is, you can definitely feel that it never got the kind of polish pass that blueside did. There's just.. a lot less there.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Bloodly posted:

And of course with so many people tricking out with Inventions because it's so 'easy to get'(Certainly it can be, but there's still the burden of 'how') what people can deal with and what people expect also goes up.

I'm trying to figure out the spines/fire farm situation and like I'm in the 20s but I xp boosted there so I don't have any inf. Like I've heard I'm supposed to slot this dude out with IOs but I don't know how that poo poo works. Ultimately, I made the dude so I can farm influence for my other dudes, because I heard that is a thing.

Honestly, I don't care that much about min maxing my dudes, I'm mostly here to do cool things for fun, but it's not simple to jump right into the powerlevellling farm game.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Okay got my fire/spines brute to 30 and poo poo just works now. I went from being a poo poo tier scrub to being able to grind +8 fire farm missions. That and figuring out how to make a bunch of IOs from auction house/invention table made everything good now.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

My second attempt at a Mischief Makers boss didn't go as well as the first, but I found a way to (sort of) give him a purple mohawk so there is that.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Void skiff has been an excellent addition to my speedster.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Huh so long range teleport is just go to zone? That just seems like oroboros/a base teleporter with fewer steps.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

spectralent posted:

The thing with LRT is it's just an Oro portal with a couple more options that takes longer to use. It'd be more useful if it didn't essentially always port you to the train station and if it could take you to hazard zones, or if it could take your entire team, or really anything that makes it not just an Oro portal with fewer clicks and a ridiculous lead-up time.

I assume that LRT is the reason why the base teleporter from P2W takes like 30 minutes to recharge. Man I'd like to just be able to hit my base to stash stuff/craft stuff/pet my dog between missions.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

LordSaturn posted:

activating a power and waiting five seconds > dropping out of flight, activating a power, ground targeting it, clicking the little glowy target it makes

like, you can macro it so that you don't have to do the ground targeting part, but for the most part I'd rather click my power once and take a sip of my drink

Yeah but I can also just superspeed to the base portal and go anywhere in Paragon, Rogue Isles, or Praetoria from my base. Or activate the teleport to base once every seven years.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Dareon posted:

Animal CTRL, Beast/Sonic Mastermind. I don't like that I have only three attacks and two of them are Brawl and my origin power. I get that an MM is meant to stand back and let his pets do the work, but with only one wolf that's a lot of dead air. I keep getting foiled by character limits, too, I wanted to make my battle cry "Remember to spay and neuter your pets" and name my wolf Professor Puddinpop, but neither one fit. Sonic secondary's level 1 power is only a debuff, no damage, so it almost doesn't feel like I'm doing anything when I use it and it's not worth using on trash.

https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Mastermind_Numpad_Pet_Controls

Do yourself a favor and sort this out sooner rather than later. Your teammates and your future self will thank you.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Just cleared Positron 1, as I'm going back through all the TFs and poo poo right now, and man that ending.

Seeing the loving evil clone of myself leading a group of clones of the dinguses in my team was sick.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

It's worth pointing out that this game has a seriously healthy population. Like you can get a group pretty much any time for the asking. I've yet to fail to fill out a Taskforce, Trial, Tips, or Newspaper mission just by going into /lfg and saying :getin:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

spectralent posted:

In fairness, you're probably blueside, but also in fairness, redside was like that on live too.

Yeah because as cool as being a villain is the content on that side is only about half finished at best and you can just be a vigilante and do the content on the finished side and dip over to the trash fire to do a newspaper mission now and again.

Sorry not sorry.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

When City of Villains came out it was loving amazing. I remember blowing off RA training in college to get in a few more hours of grinding out missions. The bank robbing missions promised that the villain content would be more proactive than the hero content, which made a ton of sense. Villains don't respond to poo poo; they make the poo poo happen.

But all that promise never really manifested itself. You ended up with a bland carbon copy of the hero content. Just go to contact, go to mission. You're never stealing poo poo, or threatening the world with zombies or whatever. There's hints of that kind of stuff. I kind of enjoyed the Dr. Graves poo poo and the other missions where you're briefly fighting superheroes in Paragon, but in between those moments there's a whole lot of samey stuff. It really poses the question: "What kind of villain are you?" You're just some kind of schmuck working for lovely people in some slightly shittier zones.

Edit: Honestly City of Villains would have made more sense as the Architect system. Make missions, fill them with minions and then be the end boss or something.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 1, 2019

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

You know, this reminds me of something they talked up back in the day that would make a ton of sense for setting COV and COH in the same zones. Secret Identities. There was always some talk about implementing a system dealing with that, and it was going to work into the day jobs system, which instead just became what it is now I guess, sitting outside the monorail or whatever to get a speed buff.

You could do an absolute ton with secret identities to make the merger make sense. Make the PVP flag put you in costume. If you're walking the streets in costume, you're fair game for PVP. If you're walking the streets in a suit and tie you're just another civilian.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

spectralent posted:

The Rogue Isles is merely somehow in a state of open war without any explicit superpower backing that's somehow not getting bombed.

I've got to assume that Grandville and it's giant fuckoff helicarriers has something to do with that. Like you shoot a nuke at the rogue aisles and some fuckhole flies up and portals it to the pentagon or whatever.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

OgNar posted:

Well sure, but in the meantime the rest of the team is fighting (and possibly dying multiple times) to get to your position, which would have been easier if you just would have stuck with the team and had fun on the way.

I'm actually seeing this a bit, where someone will just stealth to the end of the map and just attack the boss.
Why not just join one of the servers where you can just give yourself max XP and not have to do all the missions.

So a taskforce where you kill every mob in every mission can take like 2 hours. One where you zip to the objectives in stealth mode can take 30 minutes. Also, you should buy the team teleporter from the P2W vendor and bring your team with you to the boss room.

You're not skipping the mission, you're just playing it smart. The goal is to stop the bad guy, get the glowie, or save the person, not commit genocide.

I mean, do you read a ton of comic books where Iron Man has to dig a mass grave in front of the Mandarin's base to bury all of his henchmen in, or does he just bust through the skylight and punch the dude he's trying to punch?

Like.. not every mission is equally fun, and you'll definitely have enough missions where you do have to, in fact, "kill all skuls" so don't worry for a second that by zipping to the glowy you're denying yourself a slog through an office building full of dicks. Plenty of time for that later.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Yeah, Brutes should be the best at soloing. Blasters die a lot and shine hardest in a full team where they can just hose damage downfield while other people manage aggro.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

LordSaturn posted:

the player fury over Enhancement Diversification was extreme, I can't imagine they were eager to nerf invention sets when they saw what people were doing with them

It was me, I was the angry one. Give me back my six-damage enhancements fire blaster and let me lay waste to all I see before me.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I ground out the badges. Dumped a ton of IOs on the market just because it's literally the fastest way to get rid of them.

The game could really use a "delete all" button, for the sake of market prices if nothing else.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I never felt like I was missing out on storyarcs back on live, I mean there was always new stuff to do, and the taskforces and trials were the cooler stories at the time, I guess. I did play a blaster pre-AT rework so I was probably also dead often enough to have enough XP debt to not miss anything good.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

My first character. I remember how you basically had to group up, and you had to make sure you had a defender to back you up. Like back when people were actively considering team comp and like "Sorry we already have a tank, we need a blaster" was a thing you could hear. Whereas now it's just like "Group forming, 2/8 go nuts" and you'll still pull through because every class basically can sort itself out.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Dareon posted:

My only real RP character (As in someone who routinely hangs out in Pocket D, I would probably do mild RP if someone walked up to another of my characters) is Enigmon, who is a hovering zombie with an orb for a head and communicates entirely by *[adjective] orb noises*. I have yet to work out an appropriate adjective for ordering a drink, though.

Thirsty. Obviously.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

OgNar posted:

Don't be this guy.

Gonna be honest, don't hate that guy. I mean, he's not necessary because there's basically no part of the game that isn't a cakewalk with an 8-man party these days, but his heart's in the right place.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I use some bind I found for firefarming that just converts everything to purples, it cycles through like four bind files so I just hit like... alt+del four times or something.

1red.txt
code:
lalt+delete "inspcombine Insight Luck$$inspcombine Respite Luck$$inspcombine Enrage Luck$$inspcombine Catch_a_Breath Luck$$inspcombine Break_Free Luck$$inspcombine Sturdy Luck$$bindloadfile "I:\City of Heroes Bind\2red.txt"
2red.txt
code:
lalt+delete "inspcombine Keen_Insight Good_Luck$$inspcombine Dramatic_Improvement Good_Luck$$inspcombine Focused_Rage Good_Luck$$inspcombine Take_a_Breather Good_Luck$$bindloadfile "I:\City of Heroes Bind\3red.txt"
3red.txt
code:
lalt+delete "inspcombine Emerge Good_Luck$$inspcombine Rugged Good_Luck$$inspcombine Uncanny_Insight Phenomenal_Luck$$inspcombine Resurgence Phenomenal_Luck$$inspcombine Righteous_Rage Phenomenal_Luck$$bindloadfile "I:\City of Heroes Bind\4red.txt"
4red.txt
code:
lalt+delete "inspcombine Second_Wind Phenomenal_Luck$$inspcombine Escape Phenomenal_Luck$$inspcombine Robust Phenomenal_Luck$$bindloadfile "I:\City of Heroes Bind\1red.txt"
If macros do it for you then godspeed, but I already use a bunch of my trays for ridiculous sometimes use P2W powers like calling an uber for my team when we have a mission in the buttfuck middle of nowhere during a taskforce or turning into a dog.

Note that this is wholly stolen. I assume you can only load so many commands into one line, and thus it is four files instead of just one. Also it was originally for making reds (as the file name would suggest) but purples are more necessary at my current level of fire farming.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

Has the population gone down? I see like half as many goons on these days and I can't seem to get a group past prime time anymore.

Work, Mario Maker 2, and now No Man's Sky have stolen me.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

The teleport to base power from P2W should:

1) Have a cooldown of about 5 minutes.

or

2) Be upgradeable by buying more of it (similar to how you can buy extra hours of xp boost) to get it down to around there.

Same goes for the other powers actually, teleport team to mission, recall team, etc.

It would be something to spend all your extra influence on.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Toon was used as far back as the original EQ. However, it is definitely something that I feel like you have to be someone's little brother to say.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Gorgar posted:

Yes, there are farm missions designed for this. I like the fire bugs semi-ranged afk one.

I was mostly running the comic con asteroid back when I was playing on the regular. Sadly I couldn't get many of my friends to catch the COH bug so I didn't end up playing for long.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

He was such a useless dick that even Hamidon didn't want him in the hivemind.

Man, it's still a little sad that you don't get to align with villain factions as a villain. Like imagine if you could make a character where X villain group were just friendlies to you.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Crasical posted:

I think the official line was that it didn't make sense for you to be able to leave some organizations; Joining the Freakshow or Circle of Thorns is pretty transformative and permanent.

And yet both of those groups regularly use normal-rear end generic badguys in some missions.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Did they ever fix undead mastermind so that it wasn't much worse than all the other choices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Ultimately part of the problem with trying to write content for villains is that in your typical story structure, the villain acts and the hero reacts. For blueside content this fits great with the general MMO structure of "getting jobs from random NPCs" but villains need to be able to pursue their own plans, which the game isn't really set up to support. The newspaper was meant to kind of represent this, where rather than doing the bidding of someone else you're out there doing things on your own initiative, but the paper jobs were all one-offs so they never built up to anything.

This and also they were heavily constrained by the game engine itself. It would have been a lot of work to graft an entire Evil Genius base and minion management game onto the backbone of a running MMO like the players wanted. I mean, like I wanted. I wanted that.