Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dinictus posted:

Exactly this. I am genuinely looking forward what a modern MMO taking lessons from City of Heroes and the scores of post-WOW MMOs could do.

Inzombiac posted:

I'm so desperate for a modern superhero game that it's making me crazy.

I love CoH but I can't really play it anymore. It's just too old and I've seen so much of it.

If a modern MMO could somehow have the same level of movement as Just Cause, I'd flip out.

Extreme same, I believe in you Warcabbit :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That active lately, eh? I was considering coming back to try some of the proliferated sets and new AT mechanics on Homecoming, but if the goon presence is dead then blah.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SimonChris posted:

They could have just made villain contacts your minions who find opportunities for you. Instead they were dead set on making villain characters basically mercenaries doing jobs for more important people.

Old post here, but entirely this. It wasn't so much of a technical problem as a creative one, and failing to solve it really showed up the devs' creative limitations. They could've even worked it into the CoV PC's player arc! They want to be their own villain but they're too small-time and Lord Recluse has the Rogue Isles on lockdown, everyone works for him, so they begrudgingly work onward and upward in the hopes of someday being big enough to strike out on their own/become the new boss. Classic organized crime stuff, the ambitious upstart who's gonna run this town someday, etc. Your contacts are a combination of legit Arachnos/affiliated criminals and your own growing network of agents and minions as you build your own power base, maintaining a dangerous balancing act as you rise through the ranks.

Having to talk to NPCs to get missions is probably always going to be a thing, just mechanically. Browsing a newspaper or smartphone to craigslist or whatever, fundamentally, you still have to receive content from the game. How that content is crafted, whether it makes you an active participant or just a passenger in someone else's story, that context is what makes the difference between a glorified errand boy and a rising star.