Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Ok someone fill me in here on WTF I missed in Praetoria. I did one mission for Neuron and handed over data to Cole... who is like, "Lol yeah that happens thanks fam," and now suddenly I'm supposed to know all about Primal Earth and that we are going to invade or somesuch bullshit? WTF?

Yeah, power has the weakest transition. Go do the Neutropolis Responsibility arcs for a better background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Early game sucks other than Praetoria. And even that stuff can get repetitive or else defeats the purpose of certain ATs (ambushes gunning straight for your hidden Stalker). DFB is a great way to level up a character to more interesting content in a fraction of the time. I don't really have a dog in this fight as I play on the goon server, but gutting DFB is akin to what they did with Rage. Just removing functionality for some users because others didn't like it.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

It doesn't matter that it's all people were doing. People were enjoying it and it was taken away because other people didn't like that they were enjoying it. The gentlest nudge would have been to increase TF or regular non-DFB grouping xp.

spectralent posted:

New Atlas is okay, and I quite like New King's Row, but there is the relatively fundamental issue that you don't know how your character plays in CoX until you have a full chain, and many classes have internal mechanics that don't become fully realised until they've gotten to higher levels. I remembered recently that SR doesn't get any AOE defence until level like, level 35, and that's far from the worst one. I get not knowing how your powers work as being a concern, but I feel like people could probably just start at level 20 with a chain and their basic toggles without any problems after they've got their first 50 or something; it's not like CoX is a really demanding game that requires iron-clad understanding of it's mechanics.

Also, this.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

John Murdoch posted:

Bullshit. Same exact argument comes up every single time with stuff like this. "But people were having fun, why take that away, why do you hate fun? :qq:" Well guess what, if you love DFB that much you can still run it 1-50, it's still in the game, nothing's changed!

Oh, you mean there was some other mysterious reason DFB was so "enjoyable"? :thunk:

Like holy poo poo what a time warp, I was having this exact same argument with people when they nerfed Kraken farming. (And at least in that case people were desperate to go from 35~ to 40 because Cryptic hosed up the XP curve when they slapped 41-50 on top of the original progression.)

Lol. Yeah people like getting good experience points in a game that values them. It (was) also a cool way to get four buffs until 22. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with Kraken farming. Nothing wrong with old school taunt auras. Nothing wrong with Winter Lord farming. Nothing wrong with AE farming. Nothing wrong with letting people enjoy their loving game. At least the devs had the excuse of wanting to milk out subscriptions.

HPanda posted:

It might sound silly since video games and all, but I really like to read mission text and take time out to read over the speech bubbles. This is pretty much impossible when grouping.

Yeah I'm the same. To be fair though, you can read most of it in the Mission window.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

HPanda posted:

There was that one energy blaster move, nova I think, that would explode grey mobs hilariously far if slotted for it. I think they ended up nerfing it at some point.

I had forgotten how much fun knockdown in this game was. Playing a /storm mastermind is reminding me.

So my "Raining Men" name is already paying off. Had an Outcast boss yell "Stop Raining Men!" and it just makes me think he's getting frustrated with all the men I'm raining on him.

Haha that's great. I had a good one the other day too. "Redneck Fart LIghter? That's a strange name. Thanks for the help, I guess."

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Rad/ has a damage aura, an AoE, and a mechanic where the single target attacks can generate explosions.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I’ve thought about that, and may still give it a shot, but issues I’ve considered include needing to worry about incoming S/L damage (shouldn’t be an issue, eventually) from EM, EleM, or energy blast OR dealing with -end from electrical blast, and having no real counterpart to Burn. Seriously, burn on my rad/fire is by far my most damaging move, and it is up every 5 seconds or so.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Harrow posted:

what have i done

(he's a thermal/fire defender)

Battle cry better have something about Flavor Town.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Sophism posted:

I want to create an AE farm character, and from what I can tell, a Brute with Fire Armor is one of the best at it.

Now I know Staff Fighting isn't considered strong, but wouldn't Fury combined with all the additional AoE work out okay? I ask because I got an idea for a stupid concept, and that melee set would be a perfect fit.

However, since this is just a farm character, if Staff is awful for that purpose, I'm willing to go back to the drawing board.

I've never tried farming with a staff, but one of the limitations of it compared to rad/ would be the lack of a damage aura and the lack of a true Build Up. The Build Up limitation is remedied (at least partially) by Staff Mastery, but the second damage aura is one of the bigger benefits of rad/ and spines/.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Once I got incarnate stuff (took under two hours farming to go from level 49 to Hybrid unlocked) somewhat slotted I stopped worrying about inspirations altogether. They were just slowing me down.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm trying to figure out the spines/fire farm situation and like I'm in the 20s but I xp boosted there so I don't have any inf. Like I've heard I'm supposed to slot this dude out with IOs but I don't know how that poo poo works. Ultimately, I made the dude so I can farm influence for my other dudes, because I heard that is a thing.

Honestly, I don't care that much about min maxing my dudes, I'm mostly here to do cool things for fun, but it's not simple to jump right into the powerlevellling farm game.

While leveling, just put common IOs or SOs in your stuff. 6 slot spine burst with 3 damage, 1 recharge, and 2 acc, and your two damage auras with 3 damage, 2 end red, and 1 acc. 4 slot active defense abilities with 3 resist, 1 end red. 3 slot stamina with end mod. Prob still will have endurance issues, but you can go to the P2W vendor and turn off rez and mez inspirations to make easy room for the blues.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Anyone have good missions/grinding locations for the different Viridian unlock requirements?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Ironslave posted:

Go Rogue and do the Manticore Task Force. Will set you up as far as Paragon Protector defeats for the Infiltrator Badge.

Thanks! Anyone have suggestions for the other ones?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Get the Tracer badge. You get it by defeating Tsoo Sorcerers.
This is the hard part. Aside from one mission in the Silver Mantis SF, there's no real Tsoo focused SF or TF. The old school way was to patrol the warehouses on the far west side of Talos Island.

Also get the Tank Buster badge. You get it by defeating Freakshow bosses.
Penelope Yin's TF and the 2nd hero respec trial are all Freaks, all the time.

The Infiltrator badge, too. Fight those Paragon Protector clones of Crey's. In fact, make sure you've taken out at least 200 Crey in general. Manticore or maybe Numina's TF. They're rare in the wild but there's a few villain arcs in the 40-50 range that are Crey focused.

Yeah, and make sure you've taken out at least 200 Council agents.
There's the Council base in Sharkhead, Citadel's TF, Striga Isle, they're all over the place.

Thanks. I made a lot of progress on the Tracer from some of the DA stuff I think.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Look, just do like the rest of us do and make a stalker who is tiny when it's "invisible" and has to fight at normal size until regaining enough power to shrink for a sneak attack.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

that sure is a description of a hero

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Inzombiac posted:

If I was hell-bent on making a Dual Blade character, what would be my best bet?

db/ele scrapper is what I have and it massacres everything. You will get some runners and will have end problems for a little while though.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah one of the first things I do on my characters is bind mbutton to beast/ninja run and lctrl +mbutton to steam jump (until I can afford jet pack). So I get decent speed and jump but if I need a boost in height I can do it quite easily.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

winterwerefox posted:

i got a friend who decided they wanted to be a melee sentinel. So they took the three powers from fighting and air superiority, and one of the epic pools that gives knockout blow. Really, really really feels like they are going for the 'Im Specul" award.

Man, I’m like the only goon (certainly the only one on WS18) that enjoys sentinels, and man that sounds awful. I mean, it can maybe work regardless (Aeric made a mostly melee only DP/nin blaster that rocks) because this game is incredible, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Tsurupettan posted:

I updated op to remove goon server as the hosting ended up getting pulled. I also realized I never actually finished the OP so I'll try to do that this weekend too.

I'll need to ping a mod for a new thread title if anyone has suggestions.

Ah, I was wondering why I couldn’t log on.