Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm 50, what do I do now? A hopefully as clear as possible explanation of the Incarnate system for people who never did this confusing poo poo back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

^^^^^ oh, that probably makes more sense.

Deki posted:

I've had decent experiences with pubbies but I try to group with goons as much as possible. Ideally I'll just ping pong between the two unless there's a massive migration to the goon server or back to Indom.

Also I'm curious as to if any of the servers will ever "finish" the Incarnate track.

What does "finishing" mean here? In terms of players slotting T4s in every slot, that's happened. People have beaten all the iTrials even on Indom (which has less population than Torchbearer and whatever the RP server is called) and from the ones I've done, I imagine the Master Of has been awarded to players for those as well. Keyes I haven't done and is a pain to get the Master Of, so I'm not sure on that one, but considering everything else that's been achieved I would not be surprised if it has.

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 29, 2019

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hail Hydra

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Everslain posted:

If anyone ever asks if you want to do the Dr. Quaterfield Task Force, don't do it.

Just as I remember it!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

HPanda posted:

It might sound silly since video games and all, but I really like to read mission text and take time out to read over the speech bubbles. This is pretty much impossible when grouping.

Get a like-minded friend and it's all gravy! I've done some light RPing with a couple different friends when we duo and just like, discuss the mission along the way, talk out plot points and just generally have fun. Even with just two people in a group CoH becomes so much more fun.

One of the reasons why I stuck with the game so long over other MMOs is that there's just so many different ways to play. Play dressup, chase badges, run challenging group content, RP, write AE stories missions or play ones other people have made.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

MechaCrash posted:

If you want to know about IOs and sets, holy poo poo, that is a whole thing and I am not qualified to help on that, but if you want to know the short version, it's how to break the game over your knee. It is not strictly necessary because once you get a team together it's fine, but it can be fun!

IO Sets are definitely a thing and it's totally just for people who want to push things to the limit. You will be able to do anything there is at 50 just with generic level 50 IOs. I never went further than that on live and never had any issues at all. I've only recently dipped my toes into the IO set pool because I had a fellow goon show infinite patience in helping me plan out what sets I needed and walked me through the steps of how to get them for the cheapest possible. It still went through my nest egg of 200 million influence and 1k reward merits, but I won't lie I am pretty impressed with the improvements on a character who was already performing super well.

I'm not sure I want to go through that process on a second character though. Just like you probably aren't going to want to try and get as many badges as possible on more than one character, the time, effort and resources required to kit out a character with Set IOs is pretty steep.

Baller Time posted:

Or play a drinking game where you have to take a shot every time you spot a female character in lingerie!

That sounds like less of a game and more just chugging your drink.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Glazius posted:

Also if people have architect questions I have architect answers.

Is there a way to have an ally appear in a mission without having to save them from a group of enemies or do something like click a glowie beforehand?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Apparently people were saying there was a change to Dwarf Mire that it doesn't last nearly as long as it used to, meaning that end game for Warshades now looks a lot like Peacebringers where you just stay human and don't take the forms at all, which seems really boring to me.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

It works. It's a little annoying, especially early on when you have kinda gently caress-all for an attack chain, but you're basically a pseudo-Sentinel who also gets some solid melee attacks along the way. Eventually you can do perma-Light Form shenanigans and generally be unkillable while spamming nukes and stuff but I'm not as familiar with that side of it.

Kheldians in general you want to level as Tri-Form, but it's not 100% necessarily especially if you're mostly grouping. At 50, they get peak performance out of being Human-only.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Human only PB is the objectively superior PB build at 50 with IOs and Incarnating. Triform is better until then.

Exactly this.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Harrow posted:

Well this has been a fun and productive night.

(I'm never wearing any other badge again)

This was super fun and I'm so excited we managed to crush him so fast. Everyone was so on the ball and the 2nd run where we did a full Master of run for all the badges was just mind blowing.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Harrow posted:

Vorpal is a cone attack where a bunch of shadow clones of you appear and punch enemies and it owns.

It's a spin kick and yeah, it super owns.

Mighty is you do a superhero landing on the ground and if you take the Radial version, all your foes in a PBAoE that's deceptively bigger than the giant pothole you leave on the ground are knocked up into the air.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Gynovore posted:

PBs are pretty much 'almost as good as a brute, but not quite'.

Warshades are a big mishmash of powers that really don't come together. IMHO the best way to play is as a squid 99% of the time, which makes them almost as good as a blaster, but not quite.

???
Warshades used to outperform PBs by quite a bit. Once dwarf mire got nerfed, now they look really similar to PBs in the end game with how they're best at being humanform only. Both still want to be triform while levelling. Warshades are still really good, don't get me wrong. The main difference is PBs have a lot of knockback that needs to be converted to knock up (or not) and WSs draw on enemies around them to power up.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Useless teleport powers? Can we talk about Group Teleport?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ghost of Starman posted:

I assume this 'Human-only when you're tricked-out at Level 50' talk is because once you've got Eclipse perma'd and accuracy out the wazoo, the bonuses of the respective forms aren't worth the hassle of switching away from the form that has all the key powers - and since Dwarf Mire's duration was apparently meaningfully nerfed after Mr. MFing was writing his guide, it's not really possible to have more than a few seconds of overlap on Dwarf Mires (if that), so you can't pull off the ridiculousness of 1 Human Mire + 2x Dwarf Mires on Nova attacks.

Yeah, you can do a lot of content _at_ 50 with triform, too. Like today we did a MoMLTF (Ms. Liberty Task Force with no temp powers and no deaths) in a group where a lot of us were playing alts and such. I was on my PB who only has the alpha slot done, still triform and no Set IOs at all and we had no tank and no one to snipe the patrons, so we dealt with the patron pile all at once and then I tanked on Recluse and we finished with the Master Of.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Edit: really, the only downside to Warshade atm is that, while I can fire farm without issue for an hour or more, something about trying to play my Warshade makes my computer crash like whoa. Like, I've been having instability issues for a week now, but it seems to be worst when I'm on this one character. Anybody else experiencing crashes-to-desktop lately, or have suggestions for what I might try? (I've tried a lot of different things, to no avail so far :( )

Not sure what's causing that. I've had my computer full restart three times in the last two weeks. Seemingly randomly doing different content and not even on hot days. Nothing that just causes CoH to ctd though.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Platonicsolid posted:

Whoa, you can switch character models now?

You were able to on live as well.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mystic Mongol posted:

On live there was an upgrade you could purchase that let you change models at certain costume designers. I think in the original it was only the body sculptors? But now it's any icon employee as well. You still can't do it at level trainers.

I think it was the Super Science pack in specific?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sufficient posted:

Just an FYI, although the LFG chat works pretty well, you can join the channels Indom TF and Hamidon Hunters if you’re looking to get in on raids early. I had a lot of success the last couple nights with the former, especially when goons are being quiet late at night. Indom TF also happens to be the largest channel on the server.

Indom TF is large and as such is full of idiots. End Game Trials is the channel with people who can actually do mechanics, work together and did stuff like getting The Really Hard Way super quick.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tabletops posted:

Oh :( didn’t know. What is better than invuln?

Willpower is Invlun but better, in general.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That being said, like Invuln isn't like so bad you should never take it. Just keep in mind that like LordSaturn said, it gets really rough in the 25ish to 35 zone but it comes out decent enough in the end. I think only if your intention is to only ever solo that you're better off 100% taking willpower.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

the nice thing about the glacial pace of development is that the game hasn't substantially changed since 2019 so that build is probably still fine

also just wanted to emphasize that when I say "kind of bad" I mean that very literally. it's not that strong, it may have endurance issues with a big endurance suck set like TW, etc. the only, like, do-not-play-this tier bad set I'm aware of is Regen?

Even then, like-- Regen isn't completely unplayable as long as you know what you're getting into. I'd still caution anyone new or who isn't interested in getting into the weeds of how the game works against it for sure. Just a "you might not have fun with this, perhaps something else might work with your concept?"

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

The one and only ironclad rule of CoX.

Teams smooth out every supposed "weakness" of any individual power set. Even middling/mediocre teams.

If you have a character concept that satisfies/amuses/entertains you and makes you look forward to logging in, that's what will carry you through this game in the long haul.

this this this this this

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Montague_Castanella
https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Ashley_McKnight

These are the people want to talk to, Hero and Villain, do their story arc and that gives you the badge and access to the Midnight club and thus Cimmeroa.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

This is my 23 scrapper, am I ok to use these generic-ish IO's until 50?

Looks okayish? The one thing that sticks out to me is I usually like to, when levelling, put two extra slots into stamina just to make extra sure I never have to worry about END, but I wouldn't be shocked if that was overkill on my part.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

My general theory for slotting too tends to be to focus the couple of powers I see as my "main" rotation and six-slot them up first. Again, with the thought that this'll probably change when I hit 50 and re-engineer things. This is usually pretty important for the harder-hitting powers to get both recharge time down as well as % increasing generally doing better on things that have bigger numbers. It's not super scientific though, because I'll decide if a power needs more accuracy or lower recharge generally by feel more than anything else. And what sort of content I'm running and with who can also determine if I make small adjustments as I go or if the performance is "good enough" to get me to the point where I'm respeccing and making better informed decisions.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

- right click one of the ones you care about and select "monitor"

This is hugely helpful for figuring out if a power is actually contributing. Thanks for the reminder!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I really wish there was something that was kind of the opposite of the Sentinel. Scrapper/Brute primaries and like Defender/Blaster/Controller type secondaries.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Soonmot posted:

I mean that's kind of a dominator build

Kinda, but not really. The assault sets are very limited compared to what you can choose as a brute/scrapper/tanker

Also Dominators are very beholden to Domination being an ability that overtakes the design of the AT. You want Domination up as much as possible since that's how you do most of what you do well, and thus you'll want Hasten and slot for having it up and available as much as possible. I enjoy it from time to time and it really works for me with certain concepts, but I also feel like it's much more rigid in how you build Dominators.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

No, /WP came with I11, along with Dual Blades.

Even though I'd played since issue 2 or so, Dual Blades/WP's launch was also the first time I actually got to 50 on a character. A big part of that was just not doing enough grouping and not understanding some of the game's systems, but I remember Willpower being a huge powerhouse that at the time pretty much invalidated /Invuln (which had been nerfed hugely before that point) and /Regen and did them better.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I too am in the group that doesn't want to take hasten if I don't have to. It's one of those things that really seems to warp the meta to the point where it seems something needs to be done.

Personally I feel they could get rid of it altogether. Just buff the recharge on certain powers and let people put recharge ehancements in their powers to a point where they can have perma dom or whatever power they like.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

I played claws/sr on live and this was always a pet peeve

I did claws/sr on Homecoming and had a fantastic time. That was a character who grouped a lot, though with the goon rush soon after it went public so I didn't have too much opportunity for solo stuff, but even duo-ing with a peacebringer I felt it played extremely well.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Very nice use of colors and parts. I love it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm not sure why they feel the need to add in things that are meant as a player retention tool.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ironslave posted:

I have never felt more invincible in this game than I have while playing a Crab Spider.

All Crab ITF was one of the most fun things I've been a part of.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Acurrate.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

New update is up and there's some new fun things like stowing weapons and now under power customization you can choose which type of walk and run your character uses, which all seem pretty nice.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It's a really noticeable UI element and yeah, if you're above level 6 you have a whole year to log in just once to remove the warning. It's more than generous and right now it's just the warning so-- plenty of time even if you have characters that haven't logged into for five years.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Soonmot posted:

LETS RUN MID TEENS TEAMS AT +4 LEVELS LOL YEAH TKS ARE FUN

loving pubbies, this is why i start my own groups, but i was being lazy

I was in a group like this the other day and it's baffling. I stuck around because I was having fun despite the slow going, but it was really clear that some people were expecting better performance out of a bunch of characters who didn't have access to the powers, let alone enhancements, necessary to deal with big groups of buffed enemies.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Soonmot posted:

The ATs wer split between a combo of 4 controller/doms and 4 tank/brutes, so it was a really solid set up that probably would have rolled over even +2s. But no, has to be max difficulty.

There's something here I think that people who know how to adjust the dials get anxiety over doing it right because they want people to have the best experience and the people who don't think about it and just copy the experiences they've had elsewhere and how that effects who puts teams together and how well they run.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I noticed they gave at least one axe model to broadsword, maybe they'll give axe a little love with some more models for that pitifully small set?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mesadoram posted:

Soooooo they moved the placed to farm out of Atlas?

It's okay. It's also in like every other zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Potsticker posted:

I'm 50, what do I do now? A hopefully as clear as possible explanation of the Incarnate system for people who never did this confusing poo poo back in the day.

This should still hold up