Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
No quarantining? Bringing animals to Bahrain required 60 days in quarantine, which sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
It was a 30 day quarantine IIRC

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
So, this post will bring us up to the present day.

Listen to this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05vHQoHe37g

It's glorious. I go back to this video all the time. I really liked this build. I've always wanted to gently caress with a BMW V12, because I love noise about as much as I hate myself.

Ever since I found out how big Syri was going to get, I've been thinkin bout them wagons. I need something to carry the dogs in, and I think the e34 sedan I've got is going to be too small.

I considered lots of things. There are a lot of cool wagons out there.

The obvious choices given my proclivity to BMW would be an e39 or e34 wagon. Both solid choices. A second gen Buick Regal wagon would be pretty rad. There's the W123 wagon, which is also really pretty.

My ideal e34 would have been an Oxford Green 530iT manual. They've got the weezy 3.0L V8, but since that motor is basically identical to its bigger cousins, it could easily be swapped out. The engine bay is already set up for a V8 (or V12). It's already manual, so no need to swap in the pedal box and all those bits. I'd want it to have a pretty clean body and no rust - bodywork gets expensive FAST and I wanted to minimize that.

That's asking a lot. That's a pretty rare combination. I've seen e34 tourings for sale, but they're usually beat to poo poo, and the wrong trim level. Prices on them are starting to go up a little too. On whim I decided to ask the owner of that V12 car some questions, and popped into a for sale section of a 5 series forum.

"530iT"

:f5h:

"Oxford Green, rust free"

:siren: :f5h: :siren:

And holy poo poo, it's local. I PM'd the owner, got in touch with him on FB, arranged a deal, and sent a deposit. I'll finalize the purchase when I get home.

BEHOLD!

It's got a few cosmetic issues - dent in the rear quarter, hosed up rear bumper, weird paint spot on the hood. The interior is falling apart. No worries, the price was right and those problems should be easy to fix. I'm holding on to the Alpine e34 for the previous owner. Gonna fix a few things and sell it back to him when he's made room for it later this year. I'll be sad to see it go, but I got the e34 I really wanted.

As for what I want to do to it, well

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
living the loving dream

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

living the loving dream

seriously

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

This has been one of the most wholesome things I’ve read in a week. Great writing and pictures to log it all.

I grew up in the suburbs and have stayed. Getting older and being a ‘car guy’ I’m wanting more and more to find a place like you have.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Beautiful pups, good on you for taking them both in. :thumbsup:

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This has been one of the most wholesome things I’ve read in a week. Great writing and pictures to log it all.

I grew up in the suburbs and have stayed. Getting older and being a ‘car guy’ I’m wanting more and more to find a place like you have.

Thank you!

My home brings me so much peace. I have flexible work schedules, so if I get in early I can be home as early as 3:00pm, and my deck and garage are already in the shade by then. I'm surrounded by woods so the place is extremely quiet. It's a good 20-30 minute drive to go shopping, but there are two small country stores nearby for essentials if I ever get caught without something. Good thing I like driving!

For those reading, I blew my wad. That was 2.5 years of content, and that brings us to the present day.

Here's some more pictures of Syri, and the pup that became her first dog friend after her traumatic experience.

I made her the collar :3

We had a shop cat for a while. She was rescued by my coworker and will be on her way to South America soon!

He named her Canela.

Now I only have Fred the Camel Spider Space Alien to keep my company.

Lets talk about M60s!

M60 refers to a family of DOHC BMW V8s used from 92-95 mainly in the 5 series and 7 series. It came in two displacements, the 3.0L M60b30 (found in my wagon), and the 4.0L M60b40 (found in my 540i). The 3.0L produced 215bhp, while the 4.0L produced 282bhp. Their valvetrain is very similar to the 24v sixes. They use hydraulic tappet lifters. They've got a dual row timing chain setup that's known for being pretty stout. They have some minor issues - mostly fluid and vacuum leaks from timing covers and the PCV system. There were issues with nikasil cylinder liners early on, but by now all those engines have either been warrantied or tossed in the garbage. They were updated to alusil later on. They're pretty light (~440lbs for the one I yanked IIRC, I've got a crane scale because I was sick of seeing engine weights all over the place), fairly reliable, and sound awesome through a nice exhaust. You can find them at pull-a-part for the low, low price of $250.

The engine was iterated into the M62b44 in 1996. Displacement jumped up by 0.4L, but the cams were less aggressive, resulting in the same 282bhp. They later added VANOS, BMW's variable valve timing system, to the M62b44TU in 99. It mostly gave low end and mid range gains. VANOS in the 90's motors was fairly primitive - it was an on/off type system that retarded the intake camshaft only.

Like most BMW parts, lots of things in the M6X family are interchangable. It's possible to put M60b40 heads on M62 blocks. You get slightly more aggressive camshafts and a bump in compression. There's a couple of these motors out there. They don't seem to produce a significant amount of extra power over the stock M62b44s. Still unsure if it's worth the effort.

The dynos I've seen for this family are all solidly in the 250whp-280whp range. Aftermarket support is basically nonexistent. I feel like there's some untapped potential here - S52b32s, the 3.2 L6 from the e36 M3, can produce 260whp with cams and bolt-ons. An M60b40 with a similar specific output should produce over 300whp. This also brings up one of my biggest gripes with the motor. It will easily rev out to 7000rpm. Power falls off hard after 6k, though. To me, that makes for an unsatisfying drive.

So what's the problem?

Both engines share similar compression ratios - 10.0:1 for the M60, 10.5:1 for the S52. The M60 has 35mm inlet valves, while the S52 has 33mm inlet valves. Both engines have the same size exhaust valves at 30.5mm. As far as I've seen, the M60 head ports have no major shortcomings either.

The M60's cams (remember, these are the more aggressive of the two) are 249 duration and 9.7mm lift on the intake, and 241 duration and 9.4mm of lift on the exhaust. The S52 cams are 252/244 and 10.2/10.2. There's a significant different right there.

The M6X family also have GARBAGE headers, with few aftermarket solutions. Look at this poo poo:

Lets stick with what's good, and replace the obvious choke points first. This motor needs some cams, and a good set of headers. Unfortunately, there's next to no aftermarket for these things. No off the shelf headers fit an e30 swap, so lets rule that out right off the bat. There is a neat option for headers though - the S65. The headers from this motor are beautiful 4-1 units, and I picked up mine for $200 on ebay. Given that there are a few S65 swapped e30s around, it should be possible to modify them to clear on an e30. Also, they will ALMOST bolt on to an M60 - they changed a few mounting flanges by rotating them 90 degrees! I'm just going to chop off the stock M60 flanges and reweld them to the S65 headers.

The only cams I know of are available from VAC Motorsport for the low low price of $2400. Yeah, nope.

What about regrinds? Well, apparently Dbilas Dynamic offer regrinds for this engine, as do several other european shops. There are a few things about the design of the cam trays with the M60 that allow for this in a way the 24v sixes do not. Due to metallurgic issues, folks don't weld on these BMW cams (few racers had the welded material separate and wreck a motor). This means the only option is to remove material, and if you reduce the base circle even a little on the 24v sixes you are at risk of the lifters clashing with the cam trays.

They're also proven, at least by this one Finn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwyUAXZZH4

I tracked down the builder and asked him some questions. Gotta love the internet sometimes! Those cams are regrinds. The motor is an M60b44 build. The only mods are S65 headers adapted to the M60 heads and cams reground to 275 duration. I don't remember the lift specs. He didn't even add lash caps, so the lifter preload might be loving with his peak lift too. He made 318whp on pump gas. That's more like it! And I bet that motor doesn't fall off at high revs either.

Since Dbilas Dynamic has regrind specs on their website, along with valve spring recommendations, I should be able to come up with some specs that allow me to use the stock valvetrain. I plan on using lash caps to keep consistent preload on the lifters, and I'm going to modify the oil ports in the cam tray to make sure they get proper flow when the valves are closed.

I'm going to pick up some valve check springs so I can test piston / valve clearance on the new cams without taking the motor apart just for extra insurance. The red e36 above actually used an M62b44TU block because the pistons have valve reliefs in them. The stock M60 pistons are flat, so I want to make sure I have enough clearance.

I intend on picking up a second set of heads so I have spare camshafts and can use the extra heads to gently caress around with head porting if I feel like it. They should be cheap. If one doesn't pop up at the local yards, I bet I can find a parts car. If my experiment doesn't pan out, I can always go back to stock cams. I bet the motor will still be fun with the nice headers, and it'll sound amazing.

That front clip I bought will allow me to figure everything out on the swap without having to take the brown car apart either, so I can continue to enjoy it while I gather and make everything I need!

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Oh wow that's a lot cheaper than I thought

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That is really cheap but can you get it to work with anything but the ZF automatic in the E65?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Disclaimer: still in a desert going insane

So, I've been researching things. The N73 is extremely complicated and would be very, very difficult to swap.There's no way I'd try running this with the stock engine management.

It's got valvetronic (variable lift), vanos (variable valve timing), and direct injection. Of the three, megasquirt can control dual vanos, though I don't know if anyone has tried dual vanos control on an engine with two banks before.

Valvetronic: A video! It actually features the N73's valvetrain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9JA5vwj-NU&t=36s

Lift is controlled via a single stepper motor per bank. Based on researching some valvetronic failures, it looks like you can just manually actuate the stepper and drive the system to full lift and leave it there. Feasible!

Dual VANOS:

Okay so, VANOS is just BMW's variable valve timing. Apparently Megasquirt 3 pro can handle this, but I doubt it's ever been tried with an N73. That's a crapshoot. A few companies make vanos eliminators - they use a few machined plates to lock the cams in place. Maybe I could make some. Maybe.

Direct Injection: Just leave the injectors in the head and use normal port injection.

So, maybe this could be a thing.

Will a trans bolt up to it? Here's trans bolt pattern from the M70/73. I'd need to match this one.

Here's the N73's automatic:

gently caress.

Well.. maybe the N62 V8 family? They came with a 6 speed, rarely. There's a few on car-part.

Goddamn. :getin:

So maybe this could be something, if I could convince someone to give me an N73 cheap enough. If I fail, it'll make a good coffee table!

I should just get an M73 and wait until they get a little cheaper, but if I get the right deal...

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Party Alarm posted:

Disclaimer: still in a desert going insane

So, I've been researching things. The N73 is extremely complicated and would be very, very difficult to swap.There's no way I'd try running this with the stock engine management.

It's got valvetronic (variable lift), vanos (variable valve timing), and direct injection. Of the three, megasquirt can control dual vanos, though I don't know if anyone has tried dual vanos control on an engine with two banks before.

Valvetronic: A video! It actually features the N73's valvetrain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9JA5vwj-NU&t=36s

Lift is controlled via a single stepper motor per bank. Based on researching some valvetronic failures, it looks like you can just manually actuate the stepper and drive the system to full lift and leave it there. Feasible!

Dual VANOS:

Okay so, VANOS is just BMW's variable valve timing. Apparently Megasquirt 3 pro can handle this, but I doubt it's ever been tried with an N73. That's a crapshoot. A few companies make vanos eliminators - they use a few machined plates to lock the cams in place. Maybe I could make some. Maybe.

Stupid question; two independent megasquirts, one for each bank?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

meltie posted:

Stupid question; two independent megasquirts, one for each bank?

That would be true to BMW, they had a separate ECU for each bank on the M70
"The M70 has two Motronic 1.7[7] ECUs (one for each cylinder bank). To provide redundancy, the M70 also has two fuel pumps, fuel rails, distributors, mass air flow sensors, crankshaft position sensors, coolant temperature sensors and throttle bodies.[8]"

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
MS3 has enough outputs to run a v12 in semi sequential / wasted spark. Only one needed!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I guess that answers one question, at least theoretically

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Party Alarm posted:

MS3 has enough outputs to run a v12 in semi sequential / wasted spark. Only one needed!

Only the MS3Pro Ultimate - it also has four banks of variable valve timing control, so using my AEM Infinity hack (see my build thread; BMW VANOS uses two solenoids per cam so it’s slightly more complex than most) the Ultimate could probably handle this.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

HandlingByJebus posted:

Only the MS3Pro Ultimate - it also has four banks of variable valve timing control, so using my AEM Infinity hack (see my build thread; BMW VANOS uses two solenoids per cam so it’s slightly more complex than most) the Ultimate could probably handle this.

I've been watching your thread! BURNOUT WHEN? Very glad you didn't have to do a rebuild. I love Z4M Coupes, and that brown :discourse:

I'm gonna try to stop chasing the N73 pipe dream for now - If I start it I'll either have to sacrifice the rest of my projects for months or shove it in a corner under a tarp for months, at which point I could probably find one cheaper. I'll just keep my eyes open for a deal, since it looks feasible. Maybe.

I've got an overwhelming amount of projects for when I get home. I'm gonna try to use this thread to get my thoughts straight so I can hit the ground running and accomplish what I want to this year. Expect lots of rambling and dumb ideas!

It's hard to even pick where to start. Probably with a bottle of tequila.

So, current car list:

'78 Mercedes 240D - ran when parked, hole in the timing cover, sockington levels of rust
'85 Mercedes 300D - hit in the front, was the owners DD at the time. Could be repaired with the 240D (I hope). Gambler 500 car!

'96 Ford F150 - Runs okay ish, minor issues.

'87 M3 - getting thrown under a car cover and forgotten about until I get time. Long term project
'87 325e - Has an M50b25 swap but is otherwise stock. Resto / DD project
'90 325i - the brown one. Some minor issues I want to fix before I go to the Dragon in November at minimum. Hoping to shove the V8 in there.
'94 530iT - Another rolling resto. Eventual engine swap - going to handle cosmetics and suspension stuff first. Good shape mechanically!
'95 540i - Selling this back to the PO in the fall, have some body work and repairs to do. I want to return it in good shape
'09 135i - Full bolt on turbo POWERRRRR. Has a misfire, because of course it does. Hope it doesn't need new injectors!

I should have the list slimmed down to seven cars by the end of the year. The 540i is going and the 240D is probably going to be a parts car.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If you need om617a parts I think I have a set of glow plugs I never put in the W126 and some manuals for maintenance/tuning, maybe some other stuff

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Thanks! Sadly the 300D is non-turbo, but the guy I grabbed it from might have an OM617A sitting around the yard somewhere! From what I've read, with the injection pump turned up I'd be doubling the horsepower of the naturally aspirated version.

I still haven't done a lot of W123 research other than seeing if I could somehow cram a limited slip in it to help with the offroad shenanigans.

That's actually a good way to spend my evening, assuming the internet doesn't get knocked out in this storm.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Party Alarm posted:

I've been watching your thread! BURNOUT WHEN? Very glad you didn't have to do a rebuild. I love Z4M Coupes, and that brown :discourse:

I'm gonna try to stop chasing the N73 pipe dream for now - If I start it I'll either have to sacrifice the rest of my projects for months or shove it in a corner under a tarp for months, at which point I could probably find one cheaper. I'll just keep my eyes open for a deal, since it looks feasible. Maybe.

I've got an overwhelming amount of projects for when I get home. I'm gonna try to use this thread to get my thoughts straight so I can hit the ground running and accomplish what I want to this year. Expect lots of rambling and dumb ideas!

It's hard to even pick where to start. Probably with a bottle of tequila.

So, current car list:

'78 Mercedes 240D - ran when parked, hole in the timing cover, sockington levels of rust
'85 Mercedes 300D - hit in the front, was the owners DD at the time. Could be repaired with the 240D (I hope). Gambler 500 car!

'96 Ford F150 - Runs okay ish, minor issues.

'87 M3 - getting thrown under a car cover and forgotten about until I get time. Long term project
'87 325e - Has an M50b25 swap but is otherwise stock. Resto / DD project
'90 325i - the brown one. Some minor issues I want to fix before I go to the Dragon in November at minimum. Hoping to shove the V8 in there.
'94 530iT - Another rolling resto. Eventual engine swap - going to handle cosmetics and suspension stuff first. Good shape mechanically!
'95 540i - Selling this back to the PO in the fall, have some body work and repairs to do. I want to return it in good shape
'09 135i - Full bolt on turbo POWERRRRR. Has a misfire, because of course it does. Hope it doesn't need new injectors!

I should have the list slimmed down to seven cars by the end of the year. The 540i is going and the 240D is probably going to be a parts car.

Holy poo poo. Yeah... maybe don’t take on a V12 swap right now :stonklol:

And thanks! :)

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

HandlingByJebus posted:

Holy poo poo. Yeah... maybe don’t take on a V12 swap right now :stonklol:

And thanks! :)

I mean I'm still going to do it, I'm just going to use this engine :v:

SOHC, no fancy tech. I still want to megasquirt it if I can because of all the problems they have, mostly related to the weak rear end ignition system and V12 specific parts ($$$). The M70/73 are pretty well trodden and don't require reverse engineering like the N73 would.

Looks like getting the W123 higher won't be hard! I just need to order new springs and taller factory spring pads. That'll get it high enough to fit a 27" tire on the stock 14" Bundts.

It looks like all the body panels interchange, so I can take the front end off the 240D and slap it on the 300D.

Here's some inspiration:

I think most of that work is going to have to wait until 2020. We'll see - I might invite my buddies from the last Gambler up to my place for a weekend of wrenching - that's probably all the time I'd need to get it ready to go!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Party Alarm posted:

I mean I'm still going to do it, I'm just going to use this engine :v:

SOHC, no fancy tech. I still want to megasquirt it if I can because of all the problems they have, mostly related to the weak rear end ignition system and V12 specific parts ($$$). The M70/73 are pretty well trodden and don't require reverse engineering like the N73 would.

Looks like getting the W123 higher won't be hard! I just need to order new springs and taller factory spring pads. That'll get it high enough to fit a 27" tire on the stock 14" Bundts.

It looks like all the body panels interchange, so I can take the front end off the 240D and slap it on the 300D.

Here's some inspiration:

I think most of that work is going to have to wait until 2020. We'll see - I might invite my buddies from the last Gambler up to my place for a weekend of wrenching - that's probably all the time I'd need to get it ready to go!

The hero we need :)

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I hope so. I just need to stay on track. It's hard to get motivated sometimes.

I had arranged a deal on the wagon with a deposit, intending to give the car a once over in person before I sealed the deal. Looking for e34 touring build threads for inspiration, I managed to find this: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/das-einhorn-lebensmittelgeschaftwagon-e34-v8-manua/139990/page1/

That's the wagon! MY WAGON! Lots of work went into this thing, and armed with more pictures I felt comfortable sending the current owner the rest of the funds. Now I can buy parts for it! Even better, the PO decided to throw new tires on the M-pars and put some lowering springs on it too. Bonus!

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Thinkin' bout this V8 swap for the e30.

Parts list:

Mandatory:

M60b40 complete engine: CHECK!

PMC Adapter + Flywheel to run 335i trans: https://pmcmotorsport.com/gearbox-adapter-bmw-m60-m62-bmw-m50-m57-gearbox.html Have to check if compatible with the bits I want to run. The flywheel may not run the 550i clutch I want to use.

335i trans: Several assemblies available on car-part locally for as low as $350

Shift linkage: Modify the stock stuff. Need to TIG, because it's aluminum.

Driveshaft: Looks like all I need to do is swap my current e36 manual front driveshaft section for an e36 auto one. I think I have one of those around too!

Oil pan: Instead of modifying the stock oil pan to clear the steering rack and crossmember, I'm going to notch it the crossmember, lower the steering rack, and run adjustable tie rods (http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=12) to dial out bump steer. Since running rod ends on the street is kind of a no-no, I'm going to run boots (https://sealsit.com/product-category/rod-end-boot-rod-end-seal/) and make some heat shields for them to protect them from the brake rotors.

Exhaust: Modified S65 headers into a custom exhaust. Already done one, so doing a second one with the right equipment shouldn't be too bad

Trans and engine mounts: Gonna make these, pretty easy

Radiator I have will work!

Wiring /EWS Delete / Tuning: Just gonna throw a chip at it

Optional if time allows before November:

Additional M60 heads - get the cams reground to something more aggressive and maybe try babby's first head porting

Do some dumb poo poo with the intake

Megasquirt

Build a goddamn M60b44 with an M62b44TU bottom end with all of the above

I'm gonna have like 3 months to make this happen :sweatdrop:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
What's the plan for the current aluminum M52?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
The guy I bought the wagon from might be picking it up from me. I've had a few people interested in it. I think I'm going to keep the wiring and a few of the swap bits though - I need to put those on the S52 that's going in my black early model.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

I'm pulling the trigger on a lift! A local shop uses one of these and loves it. It's more convenient than a two most, and I can wheel it out of the way when I'm not using it. I checked out an e46 on this lift at the shop, and there was plenty of room to drop the transmission. With all the work on my plate I really need to make things easier on myself.

I heard back from PMC motorsport. Apparently, the diesel gearbox most of their adapters are made for has a wider bolt circle than the one I want to use. I've been reading some mixed reports on the compatibility of the 335i gearbox with the older BMW engines. I should have test fit the 135i's gearbox when I had it down for the clutch job! Oh well. They are working on an adapter for that gearbox. I might be able to modify one of their adapters for the petrol box myself. I'm just gonna pick up the box and see what I need to run it. Worse case scenario I just slap the weaker ZF6 from the e46 on there - that one is a confirmed fit, and it should cost about the same.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I like that a lot. I'm very hesitant about installing a regular lift, just because it will be in the way when not using it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That looks sketchy as hell to me :v:

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
That's why you use a high lift / under hoist jack stand. I was sketched out at first too, but the tech at this shop is one of a handful of people I would trust to work on my own cars, and if it gets his seal of approval I'm sold.

I could have someone test my concrete and see if it's strong enough for a 2 post, but sometimes the garage is full and I need to work on something outside. The fact that this thing is mobile is a huge plus for me.

ALSO they just responded to my email and the price went up $300 because of the loving TARIFFS

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Party Alarm posted:

ALSO they just responded to my email and the price went up $300 because of the loving TARIFFS

Yeah but you'll get a credit from China, just send them a copy of your receipt and they'll mail you back $300.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Party Alarm posted:

I'm pulling the trigger on a lift! A local shop uses one of these and loves it. It's more convenient than a two most, and I can wheel it out of the way when I'm not using it. I checked out an e46 on this lift at the shop, and there was plenty of room to drop the transmission. With all the work on my plate I really need to make things easier on myself.

I think I mentioned this to you but my Dad picked one of those up last summer or fall and loves it. It does lean a little on the outward side which is a little unnerving but it seems sturdy. Even with the Yukon/Van/Model3 on it it was fine. I'd recommend recruiting a couple people to help you get it setup, standing the beam up is a multi-person event.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Is the price on one of those comparable to a quick jack?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I would expect that any company selling one would have done proper testing and follow safety standards etc.

Also, speaking of Quick Jacks, I just bought one. Only had time to set it up and do some quick testing but the little testing I did was amazing. The first safety stop height is a bit higher than I usually jack the car as I don't like how much the car leans if I go higher, so the highest setting will be amazing.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MrOnBicycle posted:

I would expect that any company selling one would have done proper testing and follow safety standards etc.

Also, speaking of Quick Jacks, I just bought one. Only had time to set it up and do some quick testing but the little testing I did was amazing. The first safety stop height is a bit higher than I usually jack the car as I don't like how much the car leans if I go higher, so the highest setting will be amazing.

The Biltema one? I expect a detailed review with loads of pictures in the tools thread within the hour!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

bolind posted:

The Biltema one? I expect a detailed review with loads of pictures in the tools thread within the hour!

Yep! It's actually at my parents place about 80km away, so I'll be going there this weekend again to give it a proper whirl. I'll get something together for the Tool thread. :)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yep! It's actually at my parents place about 80km away, so I'll be going there this weekend again to give it a proper whirl. I'll get something together for the Tool thread. :)

Much appreciated, looking forward to it!

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Quickjacks seem awesome and I definitely want a set even with a lift. I'll be looking out for your review!

Emailed a bunch of companies selling the lift I wanted to see who could swing me the best deal. Gonna have to keep an eye on the news to see if trade talks break down further at the G20 or not, that could increase the price even more.

Back to wagon things. The Elekta special edition e34 M5 tourings came with a really bitchin interior. My wagon currently has a worn out parchment interior. Yuck. I've never cared for the light tans BMW did around this time period. They get dirty and stained easily, and I think they look bad. I'm a huge fan of the various brown interiors they did, though. Cinnamon, caramel, terra - they all look wonderful, and contrast great with the Oxford Green Metallic.

(the car is also British Racing Green, but Oxford is close enough!)

So, the style in question uses a mix of black interior bits (top door trim, dash, headliner and pillars), hazelnut leather (everything else!), and green carpet. I love it!

Here's what I'm starting with:

Bleh. Pretty typical for an e34 these days. Their interior falls apart just like the e36. Trying to source parts from an actual Elekta car is a non-starter. They're in the six figure range now. I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money having an upholstery shop retrim everything either. This thing is going to see a decent amount of abuse hauling dogs and groceries, so I've cooked up a plan that shouldn't break the bank.

The comfort seats need to go. They suck. Rather than try and source some heated e34 sport seats, which are fairly rare and pricey, I'm going to nab a set of e90 sedan heated manual sport seats. They look lovely, are extremely comfortable, and are available in terra brown.

They're also cheap! I could score a set for around $300. Surprisingly there doesn't seem to be a lot of people retrofitting these yet. They are even fairly light given all the tech in them - 50-60 lbs depending on manual or power. I figured there would be some CAN bus shenanigans with them, but it turns out the issues are fairly minor. If you get power seats, and don't have the CAN bus stuff hooked up, they power down after a few minutes. I found a thread on a Landcruiser forum of all places where a guy traced out the wiring and figured out how to wire them up.

See: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-bmw-e90-seat-install.909191/

In short: Wire power to the seat controls on a switch, toggle it on and off again and you regain power to the seat motors. Heated seats can be controlled by units ripped from an e38 7 series.

I could poke around in my e82 and see what it would take to get to make the seat controller happy, but I think I'll just stick with the manual seats - they have a larger adjustment range and can be set closer to the floor. That means all I need to do to get them heated is find a spot for the e38 heated seat switches and wire them up! The e38 also came with an optional heated steering wheel, and it's possible to grab one from an early e38 and retrofit it in an e34! Gotta love BMW LEGO.

Getting the rest of the interior up to snuff is just going to be a tedious dye job. I want to pick up '95 door panels, because they have a gathered faux-leather door insert and stitched leather door pulls that look nice. I could dye everything to terra if I decide I'm happy with that shade of brown. The only other thing is redoing the headliner - thankfully it's glued on a board backing like most modern cars which makes it a pretty simple process.

There are enough e34s in the yards nearby that I can source a full interior, including a few wagons! Hopefully they'll still have most of their bits when I get back in country. I should also be able to snag the rear bumper I need. I hope matching the paint isn't going to be too much of a pain in the rear end - the hood and the rear bumper will need to get sprayed, and I have a really neat factory front bumper I'd like to throw on so I might be having a lot of paint work done.

I believe these bumpers were unique to the auto 540i in 1994 only. They look a little more aggressive than the factory front bumpers and I really like them. I happened to score one at Pull-a-Part intending on using it for my '95 540i since the front bumper is cracked. I'd like to put it on the wagon instead.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
The seller showed me some updated pics of the wagon :d:

I'm so excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Dang